• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.
qwj2Sm8.gif

I'M SO EXCITED I CAN'T WAIT. I am so ready for dinosaurs to be apart of my life again. I rewatched the original twice this weekend, goddamn i had forgotten how great it was, like just all around good in every aspects. A few of my friends got to see a screening tonight, i forever hate them and am so jealous, but still, they said it was fantastic and i'm even more hyped than i already was.

Superflat

So glad that general viewers are hype and pretty positive overall so far, raw impressions-wise.

I'm watching it in IMAX 3D on Sat evening, reserved a pretty good seat. I'd much rather watch it opening day (or early) but it's just not in the cards, so I'll pretty much stay out of the thread starting Thurs or so when the whole thing blows open.

Finaj

I work at the movies and will be seeing the film early Thursday before it comes out.

I'll put my impressions up afterwards.

Dead

well not really...yet
Welp, today is D-Day is for reviews. Hoping for the best.

Seeing the movie with a group of about 20 people on Thursday night, and the hype is strong with a ton of people regardless. A lot of guys like me, my age, who grew up at the perfect time to catch the original Jurassic Park when we were 7,8, 9 years old, so a lot of nostalgia riding around as well.

ToneBarp

Neo Member
Just got back from seeing it. Overall, it was very good. A bit safe but very entertaining and the end sequence is fantastic. Definitely recommended and better than my expectations.

Just got back from seeing it. Overall, it was very good. A bit safe but very entertaining and the end sequence is fantastic. Definitely recommended and better than my expectations.

I guess it depends on what you mean by safe, but I feel like this movie is anything but safe, what with them knowing they would be dealing with trying to convince people about a hybrid dinosaur, a character that has a relationship with raptors, etc.

I mean there's been a lot of premature scrutiny over the ideas that they were ballsy enough to try. That to me is pretty daring. Glad you liked it!

I swear if there is another scene or plot involving a guy trying to smuggle something (dino egg, baby) out of the island...im going to lose my shit.

I'm hyped tho!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hold me Dino-friends. The anticipation is killing me.

As someone who was just the right age to see this, it's been like my Star Wars. I was honestly not a big Star Wars fan (that is, liked the movies, but not to the extent of many fans) but like them we got some... special sequels. It's our time now and honestly, I hope for their sake, they get a good sequel later this year too!

I'm glad that it's good, not that I doubted that it would. Watching the original JW trailer for the first time just brought me right back to being that little kid playing with JP toys and marveling at the t-rex in theaters. It was... something else. Which is why I compare it a lot to SW fans, since they hold that series as something real special for them. JP was my nerdism as a kid.

Yeah, JP hit at the right time in my childhood. I went to see it when I was 11 and seeing the 'real' animals on the screen blew my tiny little mind. JP is totally my Star Wars.

I only ever had one JP toy, the raptor that roared when you moved his leg in.
JPRaptor-4.jpg

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I was only 6 when I saw JP in theatres and it scared the shit out of me

Raptors were nightmare fuel for years

I always thought they were awesome. As a kid too scared to watch horror movies, JP was amazing. I thought it would be gory at first with the opening raptor kill, but when I saw it wasn't gross I was like "ok this isn't bad". I've always loved animals and researching them as a kid, so dinosaurs were just as cool. Seeing them realistic as puppets really made them pop out even more than my books. My walls were covered in dino posters, several JP of course. Covered. (Along with Disney and Sonic the Hedgehog. Quite the mix.)

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
T-rex was always awesome, but the raptors were like dragons to me. Cunning, sleek, fast, ferocious, sickle-claws. Awesome.

Unfathomability

Neo Member
Not sure about how we feel about international reviews, or if anyone would care, but NRK (Norwegian BBC-equivalent) reviewed the movie, gave it a 5/6 (~85%)
Review (in Norwegian): http://p3.no/filmpolitiet/2015/06/jurassic-world/

Some qoutes:
When the island comes into view to the well-known theme music, it's a bit like coming home.

Jurassic World is built to the same blueprint as the original, but is different enough as to never feel like a retread.

The effects in World are bigger and more prevalent, but not necessarily better than in the original.

What Jurassic World have over the original is Chris Pratt. He is a joy to watch. Bryce Dallas Howard is good as the cold and calculating Claire, Irrfan Khan is a delight as successor to John Hammond.

As someone who was just the right age to see this, it's been like my Star Wars. I was honestly not a big Star Wars fan (that is, liked the movies, but not to the extent of many fans) but like them we got some... special sequels. It's our time now and honestly, I hope for their sake, they get a good sequel later this year too!

I'm glad that it's good, not that I doubted that it would. Watching the original JW trailer for the first time just brought me right back to being that little kid playing with JP toys and marveling at the t-rex in theaters. It was... something else. Which is why I compare it a lot to SW fans, since they hold that series as something real special for them. JP was my nerdism as a kid.

I'm 100% with you on this and have made the Star Wars comparison to friends before. The original JP is my favorite movie of all time not because I consider it the pinnacle of cinema, but for the effect it had on me as a kid. I was 8. It made me want to make movies. Its the reason why I have a big ass dinosaur tattoo. It's one of the most important pieces of pop culture in my life. If Jurassic World can deliver, oh boy. I have pretty realistic expectations but high hopes that it does.

I'll find out Thursday at 7.

Dead

well not really...yet
I think Jurassic Park is one of the few films that can lay claim to the notion that it was the "star wars of a generation" unfortunately, it failed to further capitalize on it's potential, unlike Star Wars

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I wanted to be a paleontologist for a couple years, until I realized I'd be working in the hot sun in deserts all day. Still, after JP what heightened my experience was seeing a large fossil exhibit about a year or so later. Amazing.

Also, where are these RT scores? Website doesn't show them yet.

DonMigs85

Just got back from it and I was quite entertained. I'd say it's definitely better than JPIII and perhaps TLW. A bit long perhaps, but the finale is worth it IMO.
Now the direction they take any sequel in may not be something I like, however.

Oreoleo

How's the dino variety? I don't need specifics.

Watching JP3 the other night and I was surprised it's basically only raptors, pteradactyls, and spinosaurus. JP2 had a lot of problems but at least they got that right. Stegasaurus, triceratops, parasaurolophus, pachycephalsaurus. They all got some decent screen time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom