• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just as Xbox finally starts getting support from ATLUS and Square Enix, Capcom turns its back — but why? (Windows Central, Cope & Corden)

GHG

Capcom's Marvel Vs Capcom collection will be skipping Xbox while Square Enix is bringing the goods with Dragon Quest III and Fantasian Neo Dimension

During the event, Capcom and Square Enix appeared to show off a few products they have lined up for the Nintendo Switch, although only some of them will be coming to Xbox.

Capcom announced two collection bundles featuring based on two of their popular franchises. The first one is the Ace Attorney Investigations Collection, a bundle of remastered Ace Attorney Investigation games where the player assumes the role Miles Edgeworth, a prosecutor, and arch-rival of the series' protagonist, Phoenix Wright.

The other is Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection Arcade Classics, a monolith collection of Capcom's legendary Marvel Vs. Capcom fighting game series, now included with training modes, one-button super options, display filters, and more.

Ace Attorney Investigations Collection will be coming to all home consoles and PCs on September 6, 2024. Unfortunately for Xbox fans, Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection Arcade Classics will be launching on all platforms except for Xbox sometime later in 2024.

This is a disappointing blow for Capcom fans as the Marvel Vs. Capcom series was fairly popular on previous Xbox console generations with titles like Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite. I'd imagine those fans had been waiting for a long time to play the earlier Marvel Vs. Capcom titles on Xbox Series X|S, especially Marvel Vs. Capcom 1, which is considered by many to be one of the greatest fighting games of all time.

Fans on Twitter (X) are already calling Capcom out for making yet another missed opportunity to port some of its most-requested titles to Xbox consoles, as it missed golden opportunities to port much-requested titles like the Mega Man Battle Network Collection, Monster Hunter Stories, and Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin.

Meanwhile, Square Enix continues to uphold its promise of bringing more of its titles to Xbox and PC by showing off a new trailer for the highly-anticipated HD-2D remake of Dragon Quest 3 and a new title called FANTASIAN Neo Dimension.

Dragon Quest 3 is widely regarded as one of the greatest JRPGs of all time and the upcoming remake is dead set to improve upon everything that made the original classic great by implementing gorgeous HD-2D presentation, polishing out the original game's rough edges, and refining combat system. Judging from our preview of Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D at Summer Game Fest, it seems to be already making good on that goal and beyond.

Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D is set to launch on Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, PC via Steam, and Nintendo Switch on November 14, 2024. On top of that, Square Enix has also announced that they already started development on HD-2D remakes for the original Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest 2.

The second major title Square Enix announced at Nintendo Direct is FANTASIAN Neo Dimension. This game is an enhanced console port of FANTASIAN, a mobile JRPG game released in 2021 by Mistwalker. This game is notable for being produced and written by the 'father' of the Final Fantasy series, Hironobu Sakaguchi, and has a soundtrack composed by Final Fantasy's legendary composer Nobuo Uematsu.

The plot revolves around Leo, an amnesiac researcher traveling the Queendom of Vibra in search of his missing father and memories. Along his journey, Leo will meet a host of intriguing characters that accompany him, battle insidious foes in turn-based combat, and become embroiled in an epic adventure where he must save the Queendom from being destroyed by a bio-mechanical infection called Mechteria.

FANTASIAN Neo Dimension is slated to come on Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch, and PC via Steam during the Winter season of 2024.

For Xbox, it seems like one step forward, one step back

Marvel Vs. Capcom fans have my utmost sympathies with this disappointing announcement of classic Marvel Vs. Capcom games skipping Xbox consoles as I too feel your pain. Between this and the Monster Hunter Stories series not coming to Xbox, my hopes of seeing classic Monster Hunter titles like Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and Capcom's Dino Crisis series being ported to Xbox consoles are growing dimmer by the day.

It's incredibly frustrating to see, given how Xbox finally started to turn a corner with publishers like Square Enix and Sega's ATLUS arm for games like Dragon Quest and Persona — now Capcom is giving Xbox users the cold shoulder, unless they get that $$$ from Xbox Game Pass with titles like Kunitsu-gami and Exoprimal.

Either way, I cannot wait to play the Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D Remake on Xbox as I played the original game a long time ago and it was an amazing adventure that made me fall in love with the Dragon Quest. Additionally, FANTASIAN Neo Dimension looks intriguing to me as it reminds me of experimental, underground JRPGs released on the Xbox 360 like Mistwalker's criminally underrated Lost Odyssey. I wish I could count on Capcom to bring Monster Hunter Stories 1 and 2 to Xbox some day ... alas.

Update after the article went live:

UPDATE (June 18, 2024): We saw a suggestion from Jawmuncher on Twitter (X) that Capcom's MT Framework engine is to blame for the recent spate of Xbox omissions. Our sources indicate that this is correct. Right now, Capcom has no pipeline for porting older MT Framework titles to Xbox's modern ERA system, which makes it more expensive to deliver the same titles than it would porting them to PlayStation 4, Switch, or PC. Perhaps Microsoft could step in to lend a hand here? We can only hope.

Last edited:

GHG

Sales, I guess. They support Xbox, almost every Capcom games are on Xbox. They just... don't release sometimes smaller games. They know that it will not sell.

I think that's part of it. Or at least part of the reason why they've not bothered to get a development pipeline going for Xbox games on the MT framework.

But this is looking like a whole lot of tears and finger pointing for nothing.

Topher

Gold Member
"Right now, Capcom has no pipeline for porting older MT Framework titles to Xbox's modern ERA system...."

8ua6sb.jpg

clarky

Gold Member
Not current consoles. PS2/OG Xbox . Those consoles had sick exclusive games. X360/PS3 still has rd1 locked there.
They did a remaster but not PC.
Still got those tucked away in the loft along with everything else as well. Dont you?

My point was this missing Xbox is no biggie for 99% of the nerds around these parts. We'll all have a way of playing these titles if we don't have them already somewhere.

And they would sell like shit on the xbox. we all know that.

Last edited:
Capcom:
-After universal begging, we will be porting said games to Xbox as well.

Xbox fans:
-nO gAmEpAsS nO bUy
This is a huge issue as an Xbox entry point now. Games that didn't sell much on the platform are now "expected" to be Game Pass day-1 or no buy. It's a real problem and I don't know how long Microsoft will keep this kind of offering before they change Game Pass tiers again.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
If you bought an Xbox for remasters of old Japanese published games, I honestly don't know what to say. It's a pity for Xbox owners but it isn't that big a shock. Justifiable demand is needed. If Square are releasing games on Xbox, buy the fucking things and maybe the success may encourage other publishers to publish on Xbox.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its pretty obvious the issue effectively boils down to double the effort for half the sales.

Astray

The central thrust of this article is utterly insane imo, but then again it's Jez crying again so nothing new.

If anyone thought Square pivoted to supporting Xbox to save their business, then they are deluded. They will take the odd gamepass deal and hype the occasional port, but I don't think anything else will come of it this gen.

Their new strategy will far more likely involve more switch and PC support (as in pivoting away from graphics-heavy games that require high-end rigs and exclude Switch because they can't run). Look at how they hyped up the Kingdom Hearts port and how well it plays on Steam Deck for example.

Capcom is another one that clearly realizes the limitations of what sells on Xbox and what doesn't.

Astray

If you bought an Xbox for remasters of old Japanese published games, I honestly don't know what to say. It's a pity for Xbox owners but it isn't that big a shock. Justifiable demand is needed. If Square are releasing games on Xbox, buy the fucking things and maybe the success may encourage other publishers to publish on Xbox.
That's part of the problem that Xbox is facing though. If it were up to them, you actually SHOULD consider Xbox as your choice for Japanese software, as in, all the titles should theoretically be available for you no problem.

The real-world issue is their audience is so boxed-in and well-defined both in terms of geography and genre preferences (Western-based, prefers shooters and multi-player fare) that there's no virtuous cycle for them in Japan, they have to secure each and every publishing deal themselves.

This is why they're going hard about securing as many big name JRPGs as gamepass day 1 titles, because they want to try and improve their audience mix.

Playstation sells almost as awful in Japan, but A and AA Japanese publishers and devs know they can't ignore their western audience (which loves Japanese games), so they make games for the localization port.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm not sure I understand the argument about the lack of ability to port MT Framework to modern Xbox.
Mega Man 11 was MT Framework. It was released on Xbox One. Xbox Series plays any Xbox One game. So MT Framework already works on Xbox Series.
I know nothing of MT Framework but I assume it has changed a lot since Mega Man 11 came out and the development is an ongoing process. I’m not sure I buy this argument but it is possible that CAPCOM might the decision to drop Series support at a certain point.

Fbh

It's probably more up to MS than any of the these companies.
If they shell out enough money for a Gamepass deal they'll get the games. Otherwise most of them will skip it.

What's a somewhat niche japanese game that you actually have to buy going to sell on Xbox? A 100 copies?

Last edited:

SHA

Sales, I guess. They support Xbox, almost every Capcom games are on Xbox. They just... don't release sometimes smaller games. They know that it will not sell.
That series s less game will eventually sell
because of this specific reason, a real current gen game, it should look a lot better than sf6.

Porcile

Capcom should give Xbox a few Wii style tests and see how well they do first before bringing the goods. Like a light gun version of a Ace Attorney collection.

Top Bottom