• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Dance 2 |OT|

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Despite its bad production Just Dance was a hit at my house, and pretty much everywhere else, I posted lots of videos last year.

a_med_2.jpg.jpg

Ubisoft has significanty increased production value this year and the game is receiving high praise from reviewers.

Eurogamer : 8/10
Play.tm : 88%
Cheat Code Central : 4/5
IGN : 8/10

A great playlist served by nice choregraphies, with a promising duets mode, a 4 players mode, in a nice looking package.

Want.

Suzzopher

I was wondering when someone would do this. Bought it at the weekend and played it under the influence of a bottle of wine. Good times.

I'll tell you what, I had to reverse my original opinion on this franchise.

My parents bought the first one and had me try it one day when we were over. I gave it a shot and chalked it up as mediocre at best, nothing special.

A couple of weeks later, my family and my sister's family were all over again and we got four kids (ages 5-9) playing at the same time. I was laughing so hard I was crying.

That's when I sort of "got it." It doesn't matter that the scoring is imprecise, it doesn't matter that the visuals are laughable. When a group of people play it, it gets fun.

I hope they pick this one up, the tracklist looks considerably better than the first. Quincy Jones, man!

ShinNL

Ohh, it's out already? I need to get it ASAP :D

I think the best thing about this "game" is that you can play right away without any practice. You can pick any song and anyone playing it the first time can dance to it. Probably kind of useless on your own, but with multiple people you start dancing in sync and everyone's like: omg, we're dancing in sync, haha.

When I was playing the first one I was hoping for a sequel. I hope they pump out lots of sequels (like singstar did).

lol @ IGN, so true:
It goes without saying then: if you were one of the miserable killjoys that thought the original Just Dance was worthless because it didn't have unlockables and traditional game progression, you might as well stop reading now. Go shoot things in the face and snort up your ground-down Halo: Reach disc instead.

Nemesis_

I believe Katy Perry's FIREWORKS is available to download for free too.

Nice to see them including DLC. Hope the support is regular

Lenardo

Banned
WILL have to get this for my daughter, she loves the first one though she doesn't play it a lot.

she will play it a few times a month, along with her barbie and disney game...and mario kart etc

of course her brothers would rather play mario kart or brawl or smbwii or etc etc... (we have over 110 wii games at home- excluding downloaded games)

Mike M

Nick N
Soneet said:
@ IGN, so true:
It goes without saying then: if you were one of the miserable killjoys that thought the original Just Dance was worthless because it didn't have unlockables and traditional game progression, you might as well stop reading now. Go shoot things in the face and snort up your ground-down Halo: Reach disc instead.

But... IGN's review of the first game was particularly scathing...

felipeko

Nice. Last year the thread got locked, let's hope it doesn't this time.

Just Dance 2 improves in almost everything on the first (not hard though):
- More songs
- Better and harder dance routines
- More modes, duet songs are great
- DLC, ive already bought the 3 songs, and waiting for more.
- Song Themes
- Better motion recognition

The only thing missing is the scores details in the end, that was really nice to have. Now i have no idea what was my max combo. ;/

GeekyDad

Wow, an OT for Just Dance 2...I gotta be honest and say, I wasn't expecting one. Another site gave it an 8 as well (check Metacritic for that).

The controls are not very exacting, but my family (who helped me play through it) and I had a surprisingly good time with the game. I never played the first Just Dance, so maybe I wasn't biased enough to know better. Either way, "fun" gets the most consideration from me when it comes to scoring a game.

nli10

I do my bit every year and mention to the girls that this is coming out and they all get excited and go out and buy it.

It's the only game where I'm not too upset when my partner and her friends keep playing and I never get my turn.

The jokey pseudo competitiveness of it all, and the fact they all get excited about the games release make me think that dance games are officially the FPS of girly gamer nights.

We'll prbbly get Wii Party for the extra controller for the dancing, but then end up enjoying that too. Since 1 VS 100 finished Ms. NLi10 has no reason to turn on the 360.

marc^o^

Got my copy and danced on few tracks yesterday evening with my wife.
Didn't record any video - and I won't as I'm an awful dancer- but I can tell you the duet mode is awesome :D

This game is meant to be played with a partner, you can see an example of a duet here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqJcAu7HIug

The 8 player mode is actually a contest between two 4 player teams.
The possibility to create a playlist and not go back to the menu again is a very nice addition.

The ultimate wii party game? Affirmative.

I'll have to admit i had fun with the first last xmas, altough it hasn't been played since. One thing I think is missing is some kind of story mode, where you had dance off's with other dance groups, this could be done with upto 4 players, would add a bit to the game methinks.

Fularu

Banned
My copy is waiting for me at home :D I'm still in Europe right nowand it will be oh so awesome

The game can be played on your own just fine, it's an excellent cardio game. If you actually try to "dance" like they do on the screen, you'll burn fat in no time :lol

seady

I seriously want to try this franchise.
I never played the first game, but seeing how popular it is it can't be as bad as the "hardcore" claimed it to be. There's got to be enjoyment out of this game.

Probably just another good casual game that got 'negatively and fairly blown out of proportion' by the hardcore gamers.

marc^o^

seady said:
I seriously want to try this franchise.
I never played the first game, but seeing how popular it is it can't be as bad as the "hardcore" claimed it to be. There's got to be enjoyment out of this game.

Probably just another good casual game that got 'negatively and fairly blown out of proportion' by the hardcore gamers.
Just Dance deserved all the critics it received, all true. But despite it, it remained highly engaging and with the millions of copies it sold, ubisoft invested quite a lot in the sequel. It is much more polished now, thus the better marks it receives from the press.

The tracklist is really good, I think there are 45 songs + DLC coming. Choregraphies are great. This game is not bad at all, it's a lot of fun and very easy to get into.

GeekyDad

nli10 said:
It's the only game where I'm not too upset when my partner and her friends keep playing and I never get my turn.

Yeah, this is the first multiplayer game I've played with my family where everyone wanted to be on my wife's team rather than mine. :lol

When I first got the game, I played it the whole day by myself for review. Within the first few minutes of playing it with my wife, she was easily beating my scores.

Lijik

marc^o^ said:
A great playlist
Man this is no joke (outside of Tik-Tok being in it). Just cycling through the songs at Best Buy made the game shoot up from "I'll pick it up eventually because it'll be a hit at holiday parties" to "Must have"
If I wasn't low on expendable funds, I'd have picked that sucker up then and there.

Vizion28

Banned
If Ubisoft were smart they would release a Just Dance with motion cam tech compatibility. It doesn't even have to be as high tech as Kinect. Just seeing your silhouette on screen can enhance gameplay potential.

Lijik

Vizion28 said:
If Ubisoft were smart they would release a Just Dance with motion cam tech compatibility. It doesn't even have to be as high tech as Kinect. Just seeing your silhouette on screen can enhance gameplay potential.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was in the works considering their faux-vitality sensor and laser gun game at e3.

marc^o^

Dance Central or not, Just Dance 2 is still topping the charts of most countries on amazon.
Glad to see this genre redeemed, last year my Just Dance OT was locked for no other apparent reason than being too casual.

Just Dance 2 is a very good party game, though I wished it had the Dance Central mode to learn the moves in slow motion.

swerve

Vizion28 said:

Or reduce it, when you realise it's delayed from where you are actually moving...

One of Just Dance's strengths is that it can be properly on the beat with its recognition.

seady

I couldn't find Kinect anywhere to play Dance Central, and the dance hype within me forced me to rent this game.

I never played Just Dance before, but seeing so many people play this game I decided to rent it at Red Box today.

My first impression playing with my family was super hilariously funny and fun. At first I felt the game was not precise at all. But after playing a few games one of the players keep on getting highest scores so I started to feel there is some kind of trick behind it. The casual party game started to become a real competition. :lol

I was very pissed at the control at first thinking that it was all random as I was keep losing to my sister, but after playing a while we realized there's a right way to hold the wiimote. Then everybody's scores became much closer to each others. In the end, we are still not quite sure how to scores are tally exactly, but there's definitely some skills involved. You can't just swing it randomly to win. The graphics are also very well done stylishly and play to the Wii's strength. Overall my impression of the game is quite positive. :D

I am sure Dance Central will be much more precise, but without multi-player, I don't know how it will be as chaotic and funny as Just Dance's 4-Player Mode.

Well I just got it in the mail today. I didn't know it was gonna be that hard wtf X-x

I can't believe there isn't a tutorial mode. Those moves are pretty hard. I've also never danced before, but I always get confused by some of the moves. It's just too fast to keep up with.

That shit tired me out. Good thing I only paid $7.99 for it lol.

onipex

marc^o^ said:
Dance Central or not, Just Dance 2 is still topping the charts of most countries on amazon.
Glad to see this genre redeemed, last year my Just Dance OT was locked for no other apparent reason than being too casual.

Just Dance 2 is a very good party game, though I wished it had the Dance Central mode to learn the moves in slow motion.

The advantage Just Dance 2 has over Dance Central to me is that I don't have to dance in one spot in front of the TV. When we have people over to play this we tend to dance all around the room and the Wii still can pick up the movements. It make things a lot more fun.

Playing dance central I feel that I am forced to stay in one spot.

Top Bottom