• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 3 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
iLTBuemLC3aEZ.gif

Even Wynn's eyebrows were pulled out by the explosion.

Really wish there was a witty one liner on that Wynn Duffy push in, even something dumb as hell like

"Well then." *eyebrows*

Trying to remember, but I don't think Raylan has killed a single person this season...

Layla the nurse was never confirmed to be dead...looked like he shot Dickie in the leg...the only other person I can think of was the dude who was driving the oxy clinic truck, but I don't know if that counts...don't know if he was the one who actually fired that shot.

Would be pretty awesome if he ends up going through the whole season without killing anybody

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Anybody know what the distance is between Lexington and whatever the podunk town is where the majority of the crime happens in this show? In the first couple seasons they made it feel like it was quite a distance, and a significant drive of at least a couple hours. This season though Raylan seems to be jumping back and forth between locations all willy nilly. This week when he was all the way back at his station to meet Loretta, then next thing he's back in Podunk where all the shit's going down, seemingly within the same day.

Side note: Man the cop that Raylan was on ridealong with this last ep that got shot in the end was a TURRIBAD actor.

Tokubetsu

Anybody know what the distance is between Lexington and whatever the podunk town is where the majority of the crime happens in this show? In the first couple seasons they made it feel like it was quite a distance, and a significant drive of at least a couple hours. This season though Raylan seems to be jumping back and forth between locations all willy nilly. This week when he was all the way back at his station to meet Loretta, then next thing he's back in Podunk where all the shit's going down, seemingly within the same day.

Side note: Man the cop that Raylan was on ridealong with this last ep that got shot in the end was a TURRIBAD actor.

I never got the impression it was a "couple" of hours. Maybe Hour and a halfish, tops. Which is still fairly out of the way. Long enough that it's a pain in the ass but not long enough that you can't do it twice a day if you had to.

"Duffy...for the Wynn"

Apart from the fact that Quarles has more lives than Marwan from season 4 of 24, this was a great episodes, gutted that Trooper Tom is dead, looking forward to seeing Raylan kick some major albino ass.

FGMPR

Banned
"Are you smoking oxycontin in my motorcoach?" :lol :lol

Very solid, if extremely convoluted, episode. I'm officially scared for Wynn. He has hedged his bets and now is going to have all of Quarles, Boyd and Raylan wanting to harm him. I think he is going to die in the finale along with Quarles :_( Speaking of Quarles, good god the man is a full on trainwreck now. Can't keep his shit together for more than a few minutes at a time. He is so dead in the finale. Can't wait to see how it all ends up, but I'm really hoping that the scattershot nature of this episode was simply a necessary evil for a much more focused and character driven finale next week.

Duffy is my favorite part of the show. If he doesn't make it I'll be a sad panda indeed.

On another note, I can't recall a villain going from 'extremely dangerous' to pathetic, in an amusing kind of way like Quarles. I never thought he would be mentally weak enough to completely lose himself to a drug habit.

aku:jiki

Duffy is my favorite part of the show. If he doesn't make it I'll be a sad panda indeed.

On another note, I can't recall a villain going from 'extremely dangerous' to pathetic, in an amusing kind of way like Quarles. I never thought he would be mentally weak enough to completely lose himself to a drug habit.
Yeah, that's the one part of this season that I'm not liking at all. It just doesn't make any sense for Quarles to turn into such a nutcase junkie, and I feel like the writers are just taking the very lazy shortcut of "troubled childhood = automatic junkie and/or serial killer," while Quarles doesn't act very traumatized at all. He's strong, focused and clear-minded.

Also, a nitpick, but it makes even less sense for Quarles to freebase. That's something junkies do because they can't scrape together a measly $5 for a pipe and that's just not who Quarles is at all.

Seth C

So around 3 hours realistically.

Isn't Raylan's current apartment (above the bar) within Harlan County though? I want to be stupid and just over-analyze this but I won't.

You could certainly do it in 2.5 from downtown Lexington to Harlan. You'd be on I-75 all the way to Corbin. As for his apartment, in one episode someone called it a "college bar" and that isn't something I think you'd find in Harlan.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

She's dead, the guy at the table is not dead.

Raylan might have accidently killed the guy driving the oxy trailer, while wrestling with the Land Mine guy.

And what Quarles said what happened in his childhood, is a wee little bit more than just a "troubled childhood."

Al-ibn Kermit

Yeah, that's the one part of this season that I'm not liking at all. It just doesn't make any sense for Quarles to turn into such a nutcase junkie, and I feel like the writers are just taking the very lazy shortcut of "troubled childhood = automatic junkie and/or serial killer," while Quarles doesn't act very traumatized at all. He's strong, focused and clear-minded.

Also, a nitpick, but it makes even less sense for Quarles to freebase. That's something junkies do because they can't scrape together a measly $5 for a pipe and that's just not who Quarles is at all.
I think he had a pipe when he was smoking in Wynn's trailer. And when he always smoking with the prostitutes, it was obviously all just a ruse to lull them into thinking he's just harmless, friendly junkie who doesn't care about anything else.

I don't remember if Quarles said how he got addicted to drugs in the first place, but it's possible that his own father kept him on painkillers or some other drugs when he was pimping him out. It makes sense and I think it works wekk in showing the Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde sides to Quarles.

Plissken

I think he had a pipe when he was smoking in Wynn's trailer. And when he always smoking with the prostitutes, it was obviously all just a ruse to lull them into thinking he's just harmless, friendly junkie who doesn't care about anything else.

I don't remember if Quarles said how he got addicted to drugs in the first place, but it's possible that his own father kept him on painkillers or some other drugs when he was pimping him out. It makes sense and I think it works wekk in showing the Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde sides to Quarles.

I don't think he was addicted to anything before he came to Harlan. A few episodes back when it all started going south for him, he popped an Oxy pill while driving, listening to that sermon. I'd guess that was the beginning of his Oxy addiction.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
brings up a point, that I didn't noticed: When Raylan got to the bar, where's Boyd???

I am betting Boyd accidentally shot Tom the Cop, that was why Johnny had that reaction before laying down, then automatically calling out Quarles on the shooting.

SpeedingUptoStop

I am betting Boyd accidentally shot Tom the Cop, that was why Johnny had that reaction before laying down, then automatically calling out Quarles on the shooting.

But why in god's name would he do that? Was Tom's son playing one of Boyd's illegitimate children in T-Ball???

This T-Ball game is bigger than who killed Tom, which is bigger than who shot J.R.

Lonestar

I'm not a CSI expert, or know anything about ballistics, but, if someone is shot in the back, would they "fall forward" or "fall backward?" Cause Tom's on his back. Makes me think he was shot from the front, which is where Quarles is.

Fry

Epi. 12 was great as well. Don't think Limehouse will die in the finale. I don't want Duffy to, but he might.

I remember seeing Raylan and Boyd working together with guns in a promo at the beginning of the season. Was that a promotional thing, or is that scene in the finale?

On this lonely road, trying to make it home, doing Obama look so pissed off you want some, I'm fighting for my soul, god get at you boy, you try to folk god fall back I go hard, on this lonely road, trying to make it home, doing Obama, look so pissed off you want some, I see them long hard times to come.

Yup, that's what the lyrics sound like to me. I have no idea how far off I am

gamma

I'm not a CSI expert, or know anything about ballistics, but, if someone is shot in the back, would they "fall forward" or "fall backward?" Cause Tom's on his back. Makes me think he was shot from the front, which is where Quarles is.

?

Both Boyd and Quarles are in front of him.

SpeedingUptoStop

If Quarles dies in the finale, is it possible because his pistol mechanism jammed?

Seems like the blast really jacked it up at the end of this ep. Wasn't it hanging from his sleeve during the Tom showdown at the end? Somebody HD screencap it, but I think it's busted.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

The bullet would just pass through you. For the most part gunshots sending people into any direction is just a TV/movie thing.

Edit: Myth busted

SpeedingUptoStop

It looked all screwed up after the explosion, but it'd be strange for them to build it up all season and never have him face off with Raylan.

I think there will be a face off, but it was kind of a nice turn to take it out of play before hand so we didn't get the obvious jamming thing. Gotta be something more clever to get rid of Quarles with.

DrAg0nBoY

I think there will be a face off, but it was kind of a nice turn to take it out of play before hand so we didn't get the obvious jamming thing. Gotta be something more clever to get rid of Quarles with.

I could be wrong, but doesn't he have 2 of those pistols or did I just play too much Assassin's Creed and am mistaking it for the dual hidden blades? :p

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Boyd was knocked out and is still lying there when Raylan arrives.

vlcsnap-2012-04-05-181ioqh.png

Ahh totally missed that, I thought it was debris.

And the whole reason I thought Boyd might have done it was the classic shell-shocked disoriented after an explosion thing that movies and tv do all the time.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Raylan seems to be getting angrier (or just losing his composure) and more reckless as this season progresses. I can see him doing something incredibly stupid in the next episode.

Al-ibn Kermit

true, I remember that episode.

Still, Justified is TV, and follows TV bullet rules (Ava shooting the pimp 15 feet backwards)
Which basically means they can make up anything they want. It's stupid if they made him fall backwards as foreshadowing when tv shows have arbitrary rules as far as bullet physics.

Zeliard

"Are you smoking oxycontin in my motorcoach?" :lol :lol

Very solid, if extremely convoluted, episode. I'm officially scared for Wynn. He has hedged his bets and now is going to have all of Quarles, Boyd and Raylan wanting to harm him. I think he is going to die in the finale along with Quarles :_( Speaking of Quarles, good god the man is a full on trainwreck now. Can't keep his shit together for more than a few minutes at a time. He is so dead in the finale. Can't wait to see how it all ends up, but I'm really hoping that the scattershot nature of this episode was simply a necessary evil for a much more focused and character driven finale next week.

I thought the complex nature of the episode was perfect because it established why pretty much all of the major parties now completely hate each other, which is undoubtedly gonna have huge bearing in the finale. Previously each party basically had a problem with a certain other party, but now they all have good reason to want to kill each other after that last ep. It's like an intricate web of hatred and vengeance.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
So around 3 hours realistically.

Isn't Raylan's current apartment (above the bar) within Harlan County though? I want to be stupid and just over-analyze this but I won't.

Ugh, damn it. Now this is hurting my brain. Damn you Justified.

Just got around to the episode. Fucking fantastic. Quarles has seriously lost his shit, it makes me feel a bit bad. I liked the Quarles that is an unpredictable psycho, incompetent junkie Quarles is less fun to watch. But I loved that stare he gave Tom at the end. Is he dead? Tom just got shot in the shoulder I thought. Arlo goin' nuts was awesome. If he tries to rob the bank he's going to jail. And oh Dickie... you are so fucking moronic. Loretta making a return was nice. Loved everyone seeing through everyone else's crazy plans and everyone getting double crossed.

I don't think Quarles shot Tom though...

Seems like the blast really jacked it up at the end of this ep. Wasn't it hanging from his sleeve during the Tom showdown at the end? Somebody HD screencap it, but I think it's busted.

Yeah, that's what I thought. The gun just sort of is fucked up. I took a screen cap.

vlcsnap-560986ixkpl.png

Definitely hanging at the side. Perhaps Mike or Wynn shot Tom. Johnny and Boyd are too messed up from the explosion and Quarles couldn't get a grip on his pistol fast enough.

I do hope Quarles survives this season. The face off with Raylan's coming, but I hope he pulls through to make a return a season or two down the line. He's an intriguing foe, though at this point, he's too fucked up to do much in the way of being competent. Right now he's just probably in lunatic mode.

On this lonely road, trying to make it home, doing Obama look so pissed off you want some, I'm fighting for my soul, god get at you boy, you try to folk god fall back I go hard, on this lonely road, trying to make it home, doing Obama, look so pissed off you want some, I see them long hard times to come.

Yup, that's what the lyrics sound like to me. I have no idea how far off I am

On this lonely road, trying to make it home
Doing it by my lonesome - pissed off, who wants some
I'm fighting for my soul, God get at your boy
You try to bogart - fall back, I go hard

On this lonely road, trying to make it home
Doing it by my lonesome - pissed off, who wants some
I see them long hard times to come

The Gangstagrass album is pretty decent, too. Elmore Leonard has good taste.

Lonestar

Ugh, damn it. Now this is hurting my brain. Damn you Justified.

Justified hit the "24" barrier. Keeping up appearances of distance traveled, is hampering the writing.

Just got around to the episode. Fucking fantastic. Quarles has seriously lost his shit, it makes me feel a bit bad. I liked the Quarles that is an unpredictable psycho, incompetent junkie Quarles is less fun to watch. But I loved that stare he gave Tom at the end. Is he dead? Tom just got shot in the shoulder I thought. Arlo goin' nuts was awesome. If he tries to rob the bank he's going to jail. And oh Dickie... you are so fucking moronic. Loretta making a return was nice. Loved everyone seeing through everyone else's crazy plans and everyone getting double crossed.

I don't think Quarles shot Tom though...

Yeah, that's what I thought. The gun just sort of is fucked up. I took a screen cap.

vlcsnap-560986ixkpl.png

Definitely hanging at the side. Perhaps Mike or Wynn shot Tom. Johnny and Boyd are too messed up from the explosion and Quarles couldn't get a grip on his pistol fast enough.

I do hope Quarles survives this season. The face off with Raylan's coming, but I hope he pulls through to make a return a season or two down the line. He's an intriguing foe, though at this point, he's too fucked up to do much in the way of being competent. Right now he's just probably in lunatic mode.

My one guess is, does Quarles have a sleeve gun on his right hand too?

Timbuktu

I'm enjoying Justified as much as always, but have to say that this season has detracted from Boyd somewhat as an Omar-like mythical badass. The last two seasons, when he was trying to not be a crime boss and you're not sure what he's up to, built him into an awesome character. Now that he is actually back in crime, he does feel like a small timer in a small town who talks funny.

I was expecting episode 12 to turn up the adrenaline, but they kept the goofiness there and i'm not how i feel about that. Everyone keep trying outdo underestimating each other. Only Raylon kept it together last ep.

i'm really bummed for Tom the cop whose son was playing t ball. Not even the idiots in the trailer got hurt

ivysaur12

Banned
So, just started 3x12. I'm excited after that opening.

My biggest issue with this season is the lack of a pro-active Raylan. He's been (mostly) operating in the confines of the law, while most of the big plays (Boyd, Limehouse, Erroll, Quarles, Duffy, Dickie, Ava) have been happening behind the curtain. The intersection between them and Raylan hasn't been as pronounced as beforehand, mostly because of a larger supporting cast of villains. I get that Raylan has had interactions with the villains, but nothing major (besides the bomb). Everything's bordered on mildly cryptic.

It's still been a great season and Quarles has been a very good villain, but I still think, on the whole, season two was better.

EDIT: Also, 3 million is way too low for all this shit to go up around it.

SpeedingUptoStop

Helen. Fuck. I know it's a hallucination, but that was sad. I miss her. Best female character on the show.

Helen was so good. This season is missing a death like that. If they had built to it, they could've had spoiler for the end of the ep you're watching
Art or even Tim get shot instead of Tom. I would have flipped my desk then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom