• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 4 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

bndadm

Show continues to surprise and delight. Justified proves the old acting axiom "there are no small parts". Every character on this show is given enough meat and poetry-like dialogue that anyone can stand out.

Now if you'll all excuse me, I have a bit of a Marshall stiffy and must go...

More gifs, some overlap here:

i3wTuUEVDGDR9.gif

i0pgfg4N8L0mN.gif

iQS0ijWNVQiUC.gif

i4pB7q3VXu6RI.gif

iboZB1cadHZnBH.gif

iyeQQcFOCSXeo.gif

i6XqLytUUJzfE.gif

ixox9b3vvVqld.gif

i9LwQlg9rl46C.gif

ibgs3zl12rKmmH.gif

ixifr56clx9qa.gif

- Salon.com on Ava Crowder

And just like that Boyd and Raylan are back on a collision course for the season four mystery. It might not happen next week, but it's coming once Arlow speaks to his adoptedson.
I'm glad their starting to converge those narratives. We don't need Boyd and Raylan to run into each other every week, but it's good to get them headed towards the same place at some point.
This show is so very different for someone who grew up in these places.
You've mentioned this a few times in previous seasons, and it's too bad that the show isn't doing it for you. In any case, I'm not taking the show as a realistic portrayal of Kentucky. I just wanted to point out that I enjoy their world building, regardless of the creative license used to put together a more entertaining story.

Ruze789

I had to catch this on its second airing last night and missed the first 9 or 10 minutes. Sounds like I missed a couple of points, but it seems they've got them covered in the EW article.

Excellent episode, and it was great to see Duffy back again. After seeing him as Anson on Burn Notice for the last season or two he's really grown on me. But he just wasn't the same Duffy without that mustache.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I really do love this show, it's all about the little details and the characters personalities that make it. I could just watch all the three Marshals just talking nonsense for hours and wouldn't get bored of it. The chemistry in Justified is incredible.

alcide

Banned
Aaahhhh the preachers sister is from True Blood!
The crazy fucking ware-panther chick Jason falls in love with

It seems like a setback for Boyd, but what works so well here is that the scene takes on an added dimension on a rewatch, after you’ve seen the subsequent one where Boyd says Billy’s sister is the mastermind behind everything, the person who’s trying to gut his enterprises. Watching the scene again, all of those quick shots of the sister, intercut with Boyd wandering the crowd, take on new meaning. Boyd’s on a fishing expedition here; with every word, he’s probing not just Billy, but the entire crowd, trying to figure out the weak links present and ascertain the real problem. What makes Boyd a great character is the way he uses his ostentatious, showboating nature to hide his very real and cunning intelligence. Boyd didn’t get where he is simply because he’s unpredictable; he’s unpredictable because he knows that will get him the most knowledge about any given situation. People react differently when pushed off guard, and he uses that to his advantage.

I'm going to rewatch that scene on a replay. That's a dimension I didn't pick up on.

Seth C

I'd imagine the show isn't all too balanced when it comes to depicting Kentucky suburbia, but the place where they had the backyard rumble seemed a decent change of pace. If I remember correctly, S1 used more modern-looking areas, although that might have been a side-effect of episodes being less serialized.

The backyard fight setting wouldn't be out of place in or around Lexington, and the shot of the house in Versailles could easily have been rural southeast Kentucky, but Versailles isn't rural. But hey, at least they said it right (wrong) the way people here do.

Seth C

You've mentioned this a few times in previous seasons, and it's too bad that the show isn't doing it for you. In any case, I'm not taking the show as a realistic portrayal of Kentucky. I just wanted to point out that I enjoy their world building, regardless of the creative license used to put together a more entertaining story.

Oh, I love the show, but it's just what you said brought out the glaring inconsistency. When you watch, they are heading into "deep Kentucky" but when I watch they are heading in to a place that does indeed look like deep Kentucky, yet they decided to claim it was Versailles, which is not deep Kentucky (it's a Lexington commuter town). It's not that it is unrealistic. The issue is that for someone who lives here, it is both jarring and more importantly, easily avoidable. Just say you're headed to Wilmore or Paint Lick or Carlisle.

Solo

Awesome episode. I loved everything in this one. The scene with Boyd taking on the preacher was fabulous. The Raylan/Art/Gutterson interplay is consistently hilarious and entertaining. Boyd and Duffy (where the hell did the eyebrows go?!) of course is a recipe for win. I really like the direction they've got this season going in so far.

Burt

cant wait to see raylan fight the brawler guy, might not be pretty

Oh, he'll get his ass kicked, but he'll definitely get the guy back at some point. Remember when Raylan got his ass beat and hat stolen in that brawl behind the bar? I don't think he's that good in a straight up fight unless he's taking on a weenie like Dewey crow or Dickie Bennet. If I remember correctly, Boyd got him pretty good in the marshalls office one time, too.

Oh, he'll get his ass kicked, but he'll definitely get the guy back at some point. Remember when Raylan got his ass beat and hat stolen in that brawl behind the bar? I don't think he's that good in a straight up fight unless he's taking on a weenie like Dewey crow or Dickie Bennet. If I remember correctly, Boyd got him pretty good in the marshalls office one time, too.

Well to be fair, when he was fighting Boyd he did have a bullet hole in him.

But, ain't no way Raylan can beat up Lindsay's husband. Only way I can see that ending is with gunfire. I just hope Raylan isn't going to fight him over the bartender cause that is soo not worth it.

Klocker

Rather than her husband being a simple foe. After the confrontation, I see him helping Raylin out in some way in this season. Becoming an ally.

xenist

But, ain't no way Raylan can beat up Lindsay's husband. Only way I can see that ending is with gunfire. I just hope Raylan isn't going to fight him over the bartender cause that is soo not worth it.

Raylan has gone as far as to kill people for that annoying woman that insinuated herself into his life last season. Imagine what he'd do for someone actually good to have around.

Raylan has gone as far as to kill people for that annoying woman that insinuated herself into his life last season. Imagine what he'd do for someone actually good to have around.

Bartender is just a rebound and probably the first in a lengthy list of women we'll see Raylan with from now until the last season of the show. So yeah, I'm sticking to not even remotely worth it.

Great episode. The scene at the Truth household was great, as was Boyd and Billy's showdown. I liked seeing remnants of Preacher Boyd there. Lindsay's husband is... interesting. Seems kinda creepy. Art was awesome in this episode. More of Tim too please! Interesting to hear Art say he thinks that Tim wants to kill somebody and that Rachel left her husband.

Also, Wynn came back, boss as always! Oh wait, his mustache is gone. The hell, Burns?

God, that reaction at the end was so funny.

Well to be fair, when he was fighting Boyd he did have a bullet hole in him.

Maybe he'll just take the beating.

Linius

Wow, awesome episode again. Loved the Kentucky family scene with Raylan, Art and Tim. And Boyd was on his A-game again going to the church and having a chat with Wyn. I really hope the bartenders husband becomes some sort of ally to Raylan. He seems pretty awesome.

Excellent episode. I want Walton Goggins to do audiobooks in his Boyd voice. That scene with the preacherman could have gone on forever and I wouldn't have even noticed because I like listening to Boyd talk.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
“I don’t even trust the way you just now said I could trust you.”

God damn this show is so well written. I can't think of one scene in the entire episode that dragged, even weighted against the amazing Truth house scene, or Boyd/Duffy conversation.

Seth C

good to know. I am glad the show is set in Kentucky. U ever see wildcat or UK paraphernalia on the show in the background ?

Yeah. I'm pretty sure there is a UK Wildcats banner or flag of some kind in the bar, or there was. Also, in the newest episode they were talking about Pappy Van Winkle (Old Rip Van Winkle) bourbon, which is all good bourbon, but depending on the specific bottle could be one of the most highly sought after bourbons in the world. They said $200 a bottle, so I assume the 20 or 23 year, which indicates the number of years it was aged in the barrel. Most good bourbons are in the 5-7 year range, to give you some idea. They have also showed Kentucky Ale boxes, which is a beer brewed here in Lexington. That's the box Raylan used to carry out the documents from his dad's house, and it's also what Ava refused to take at the bar, saying she already had 3 cases she couldn't sell.

This is one of the quickest hours on TV every week. The dialogue and reaction shots are just brilliant and every actor is nailing their role. Excited to see how this storyline brings all the sides together.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Second episode done.

So good. So good. I can't believe how much I missed this show. We even got a little bit of Gutterson this time!

This is one of the quickest hours on TV every week. The dialogue and reaction shots are just brilliant and every actor is nailing their role. Excited to see how this storyline brings all the sides together.
The writing of Justified is extremely tight and brisk. It's ridiculous, there is simply no competition in that regard.

Edit: Moustacheless Duffy is kind of scary. He looked like a a simmering psycho during his exchange with Boyd. I think the lack of a proper moustache makes his eyebrows look even more potent if that's possible.

Second episode done.

So good. So good. I can't believe how much I missed this show. We even got a little bit of Gutterson this time!

I want more of Gutterson. I hope his arc this season is substantial.

The writing of Justified is extremely tight and brisk. It's ridiculous, there is simply no competition in that regard.

Edit: Moustacheless Duffy is kind of scary. He looked like a a simmering psycho during his exchange with Boyd. I think the lack of a proper moustache makes his eyebrows look even more potent if that's possible.

Maybe when he realized that his mustache couldn't protect him from Raylan last season, he just decided it was time to retire it.

But now that it's gone, he has nothing but his rage left.

ivysaur12

Banned
That was an incredible episode. I don't even have anything to say, everything feels right. I cannot wait to see how this season develops.

That was an incredible episode. I don't even have anything to say, everything feels right. I cannot wait to see how this season develops.

Yep. There are few things I love more than watching a show that is firing on all cylinders like Justified currently is.

I think a big twist will be that the bartender's fighter husband isn't such a bad guy. I can see him and Raylan teaming up to fry a bigger fish later this season. I also predict the preacher's wife to successfully seduce Boyd at some point. And his old army buddy is going to prove to be crazy and need to be put down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom