• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 4 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plissken

Great start to the season. Loved Raylan's "asshole" line to his prisoner, and Boyd's surprise when his buddy "took care" of the thief. Curious what is so bad about that bag that Arlo would shank someone to keep it a secret.

inm8num2

i5tPa3qnCIFaI.gif

Reminds me of this for some reason:

1600972_o.gif

ivysaur12

Banned
Yost says more Rachel this season. There's SUCH great storyline potential on race in southern America and in the police force. I was so disappointed when she didnt really interact with Limehouse. Such a missed opportunity not to have her more involved last season.

Also, make Tim gay. Easy story material. Everybody wins.

ivysaur12

Banned
That's a good point I have to admit.

ESPECIALLY with this season's religious aspect. Who is doing the work of God? Who is judging? Would the harlots of Harlan, Ava and her posse, accept a gay man? Would Raylan? Would Art?

It would need to be teased out, but it's a great story. I love the idea of Raylan having this ragtag group of misfits who are rejected by a conservative and "traditional" society as the means for "justified" law in Harlan County.

Or, they both could just be glorified extras. Either one.

The inmat who was watching Raylan when he came to visit approached Arlo, asked him about the bag and ID. Said there was a lot of money in it. Arlo then killed him with a razor.

Shiv. If you're in the SF area, stop by the Isotope Comic Shop and ask proprietor James Sime to show you a few. He's awesome.

Fry

Great episode indeed. God, I missed Raylan (and Boyd). We didn't get to see Art and Tim though, and that always suck.

I like all new characters so far, especially Boyd's friend. They could form an interesting partnership there.

Can't wait for more.

xenist

Well, this certainly hit the ground running. Oswalt, Mazello and Eldard continue proving my assertion that Justified is probably the best cast series on TV.

kirblar

Yost says more Rachel this season. There's SUCH great storyline potential on race in southern America and in the police force. I was so disappointed when she didnt really interact with Limehouse. Such a missed opportunity not to have her more involved last season.

Also, make Tim gay. Easy story material. Everybody wins.
I thought they were setting that up back in S2.

Solo

“You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you’re the asshole”

Great start to the season. Always a treat to get to see these characters, these actors, and this dialogue. The two main plots set up for the season seem interesting - I especially love the DB-Cooper-meets-Pablo-Escobar thing tied to Arlo's past, and what makes it worth killing over. Raylan shooting the airbag was yet another classic Raylan move of badassery. Boyd's journey this season should be interesting. Can't wait for more!

bluemax

Banned
Boyd and Ryalan both have an interesting way of storing their money. No love for the banks after last season?

"A" rated premiere for me. We get a mystery this season and some hilarious dialog.

Is Ron Eldard a chameleon? He looks nothing like I expected.

ROFLMAO.

I think it's because weddings aint cheap.

Eh maybe but

I think its his retirement money. So he can get out of the game.

What a fucking awesome episode. Constable Bob was great. The new mystery was great (any mystery that starts with a mysterious man hitting the ground from the sky filled with cocaine is usually great). Hot girl ass at the beginning was great. Raylan was awesome, as usual despite a couple of fuck ups, as usual. Fuckin' Arlo, man. I'm really interested in this mystery. I also like the snake-handling preacher.

Someone's gonna get fucking bit by that snake. Imagine if it's Raylan and Boyd has to drag his poisoned ass to the hospital. While hillbillies try to kill them. Yeah. That'd be awesome.

Boyd's new buddy sorta gives me an edgy feeling. He just blew away that dude without a care in the world. Though Boyd's reaction was hilarious. Boyd doesn't really seem like the guy to just willy-nilly kill people. Most of his killings, to my recollection, have been "justified" in a sense. I could never see him killing a dude who is duct-taped and high on Jesus.

The only shame is that we never got to see the girls titties. Oh well, imagination time. But didn't she have braces? Which always feels weird.

I missed the EW stuff with Yost. The Bluegrass Conspiracy sounds really interesting.

No one got Gutterson'd :(

That Vulture interview with Yost is awesome. Sounds like great stuff for Tim and Rachel coming up, plus confirmation that
Quarles didn't die at the end of Season 3. I told you all! Having said that, he's not appearing this season.

Preview video for the rest of the season (potential spoilers) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtMFLlk5lKk

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, so excited.

Al-ibn Kermit

That episode was hella confusing. I can't think of how cocaine-smuggling in the 80's links to people high on Jesus and throwing away oxy today. And also Boyd's old army friend seems pretty fucked up to just execute a man like that, would have expected Boyd to be a bit more torn about it rather than just to shrug it off.

Still remains to be seen why the constable character was introduced, why Boyd has a secret money stash, and why a guy with rattlesnakes moved to Harlan county. I guarantee that somebody's going to draw on the constable and get stabbed though.

Schlookum

Neo Member
Finally got to watch the premier. Love the drug smuggling angle. If anyone has read The Bluegrass Conspiracy, I think that is going to be the way that story goes.

If anyone has read The Bluegrass Conspiracy, I think that is going to be the way that story goes.
FWIW, in interviews this week, Yost said that they used The Bluegrass Conspiracy to establish the opening of the mystery (e.g. dead parachuter with drugs), but the rest of the story is different from how that unfolded.

Schlookum

Neo Member
FWIW, in interviews this week, Yost said that they used The Bluegrass Conspiracy to establish the opening of the mystery (e.g. dead parachuter with drugs), but the rest of the story is different from how that unfolded.
Didn't catch, thanks for the heads up. I wish they would use more of the Bluegrass Conspiracy story, Winn Duffey seems like he was ripped straight from the book.

That episode was hella confusing. I can't think of how cocaine-smuggling in the 80's links to people high on Jesus and throwing away oxy today. And also Boyd's old army friend seems pretty fucked up to just execute a man like that, would have expected Boyd to be a bit more torn about it rather than just to shrug it off.

Let's not forget Boyd murdered a suspected traitor (who turned out not to be one) in cold blood in the pilot episode.

It took me my second watch, but I just realized that the snake handler's sister is played by that crazy were-panther chick from True Blood! That is her, right?

- Emily Nussbaum on Justified in The New Yorker
The truth is, “Justified” works best when it embraces its procedural roots. Or, to put it a different way, “Justified”—and TV in general—works best when it tells each story at the length it deserves, whether that’s an episode, three episodes, or two seasons. Mags’s story needed thirteen episodes in order to play out every emotional beat, but many of the show’s elegant, oddball tales work just as well in forty minutes. These stories also more closely resemble the twisty little noirs that Leonard writes, or those by Flannery O’Connor; knotty and compressed, they’re tiny tales with philosophical depth.
Some spoilers for other shows in the review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom