• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 4 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you do that. I spend the whole time just reading the words on the screen. You miss so much of the show.

Watch more foreign movies. It's pretty easy to figure out when you need to see an actor's facial expression vs. when it's safe to read. Just takes training.

Oh and Marshall Stiffy™. That's a thing now.

If little Timmy has truly gone to the great dinosaur park in the sky then I am mighty disappointed. The show is going great but I thought Preacher Billy had HUGE potential. I honestly thought he would play a part in whatever seasonal endgame they have planned.

I bet his sister comes back for revenge. With a lot of snakes.

She used a pretty standard technique for psychic in that she guessed at a few small things and then when she was right, she let the person fill in all of the blanks. Raylan is the one who told her (he was actually telling Tim) what gym and at what time he was meeting Randall.

Oh wow, she was warm reading him? I didn't notice that. I'll be interested to rewatch those scenes now.

Of course, I think enough of the writers not to be surprised.

If little Timmy has truly gone to the great dinosaur park in the sky then I am mighty disappointed. The show is going great but I thought Preacher Billy had HUGE potential. I honestly thought he would play a part in whatever seasonal endgame they have planned.
That was sort of the point (abruptly pulling the rug out on a character that looked to be a long term foe for Boyd) according to the writer's recap that they posted yesterday. Unfortunately, they took down the blog from yesterday (Q&A with “Truth and Consequences” Writer Ben Cavell) and I don't know if/when they're going to rehost it. I'm probably not explaining as well as I can, but they wanted to ratchet up the tension and the shock value in that scene by making it a surprise that Billy went out so quickly. I'll link the blog if they put it up again and you all can read through it. Obviously intent doesn't equal proper execution and a good reaction from the audience, and a number of people here seem dissatisfied with the way that all shook out. I thought the scene itself worked pretty well, though I'll be disappointed if that's the last we see of Billy as he was a character with some promise.

Oh wow, she was warm reading him? I didn't notice that. I'll be interested to rewatch those scenes now.

Of course, I think enough of the writers not to be surprised.
According to the writers, it was intentionally vague and it's up to your interpretation whether or not she was doing a warm reading in that scene.

Wait, hold up, Billy's supposed to be dead? I know Harlan is a backwater but it's not that bad, come on. One rattlesnake bite? Yost has to be pulling our chain, right? They were hardly definitive about it!

Wait, hold up, Billy's supposed to be dead? I know Harlan is a backwater but it's not that bad, come on. One rattlesnake bite? Yost has to be pulling our chain, right? They were hardly definitive about it!
A lot of times on this show they're vague about character deaths on screen so they can bring them back later if they want to. They've done this a few times before.
However, the interview seems pretty definitive: "Q: So Billy is dead. A: Yes. Much to Joe Mazzello’s chagrin."

A lot of times on this show they're vague about character deaths on screen so they can bring them back later if they want to. They've done this a few times before.
However, the interview seems pretty definitive: "Q: So Billy is dead. A: Yes. Much to Joe Mazzello’s chagrin."

Yep, Johnny Crowder is a great example of that.

I don't know about that. IMDB has him listed for quite a few more episodes this season

I don't know about that. IMDB has him listed for quite a few more episodes this season
Interesting. I wouldn't be too surprised if Yost is just messing around in the interview and he has a larger role to play later this season. That being said, IMDB has been wrong on these sorts of things in the past. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Why would Arlo go so far as to murder someone in prison to cover up Drew Thompson's identity? What role did Arlo play besides hiding the credentials in his house?

May or may not be related: Is Raylan adopted?

Oh I know, that's why I was so taken aback. Mark me down in Camp Joshin'.

Why would Arlo go so far as to murder someone in prison to cover up Drew Thompson's identity? What role did Arlo play besides hiding the credentials in his house?

May or may not be related: Is Raylan adopted?

Probably has something to do with the fact that Theo Tonin is involved. I doubt Raylan's adopted though.

I had forgotten how good was this show. So, so good.

Random notes:

• That snake-bang scene was nasty as hell
  • Isn't the preacher's sister True Blood's werepanther?
  • I told you the bartender was the trashiest piece of trash of the trailer park
  • Man, Raylan knows how to pick them
  • Stiffies all around

I was trying to figure out where I saw her before. In the trailer
it looks like Lindsey calls Raylan

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was sort of the point (abruptly pulling the rug out on a character that looked to be a long term foe for Boyd) according to the writer's recap that they posted yesterday. Unfortunately, they took down the blog from yesterday (Q&A with “Truth and Consequences” Writer Ben Cavell) and I don't know if/when they're going to rehost it. I'm probably not explaining as well as I can, but they wanted to ratchet up the tension and the shock value in that scene by making it a surprise that Billy went out so quickly. I'll link the blog if they put it up again and you all can read through it. Obviously intent doesn't equal proper execution and a good reaction from the audience, and a number of people here seem dissatisfied with the way that all shook out. I thought the scene itself worked pretty well, though I'll be disappointed if that's the last we see of Billy as he was a character with some promise.

According to the writers, it was intentionally vague and it's up to your interpretation whether or not she was doing a warm reading in that scene.

Imagine if they had done the same thing with Mags...

Imagine if they had done the same thing with Mags...
They've killed a long list of entertaining villains that had potential on this show, so I don't see this as much of an anomaly if he's actually dead. This frees them up to spend more time with Raylan, Boyd, and the rest of the marshals, which is what most people were clamoring for after last season.

They've killed a long list of entertaining villains that had potential on this show, so I don't see this as much of an anomaly if he's actually dead. This frees them up to spend more time with Raylan, Boyd, and the rest of the marshals, which is what most people were clamoring for after last season.

It also gives Miss Panther motivation to be a real stick in the mud.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That was sort of the point (abruptly pulling the rug out on a character that looked to be a long term foe for Boyd) according to the writer's recap that they posted yesterday.

That'd be fine, but I think the execution was pretty poor if Yost isn't jerking us around.
If you're going to build up a character like that and cut him down, do it definitively so it actually has impact. I didn't even consider until that interview that he was dead. Last we see he's got a single snake bite, he's seizing up and they're looking to call an ambulance. That doesn't read at all like a sudden and definitive end to an antagonist. That's a sloppy fizzling out, not an impactful left turn.

That'd be fine, but I think the execution was pretty poor if Yost isn't jerking us around.
If you're going to build up a character like that and cut him down, do it definitively so it actually has impact. I didn't even consider until that interview that he was dead. Last we see he's got a single snake bite, he's seizing up and they're looking to call an ambulance. That doesn't read at all like a sudden and definitive end to an antagonist. That's a sloppy fizzling out, not an impactful left turn.
Yeah, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. I suppose over-analysis is one of the risks of doing all of these recaps and interviews. We probably wouldn't be having this conversation if Yost hadn't said something about it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yeah, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. I suppose over-analysis is one of the risks of doing all of these recaps and interviews. We probably wouldn't be having this conversation if Yost hadn't said something about it.

Indeed. I certainly never would have brought it up without that interview. Death was not on my mind at all. I'll be curious to see if the next episode expects us to already believe Billy died, if maybe it's revealed to Boyd the next day or what.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

To be fair
I don't think he is the antagonist, all signs point to his sister being the one who calls the shots. The Wizard behind the curtains. I think her reaction to what Boyd did is what will drive the rest of their arc

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I have such a marshal stiffy right now

hopefully this means Rachel's going to be prominent tonight

Dwayne

My partner and I watched the very first episode of season 1 of Justified. It seems okay, but it didn't really hook us and we wondered if there is a larger (interesting) story going on, or does he just tackle badguys each episode? If someone could give a spoiler-free reply, that'd be great.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
My partner and I watched the very first episode of season 1 of Justified. It seems okay, but it didn't really hook us and we wondered if there is a larger (interesting) story going on, or does he just tackle badguys each episode? If someone could give a spoiler-free reply, that'd be great.

There are quite a few one offs in the first season especially, but there's a larger storyline that picks up as it continues. 2 and 3 are more cohesive narratives as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom