• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 4 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
My partner and I watched the very first episode of season 1 of Justified. It seems okay, but it didn't really hook us and we wondered if there is a larger (interesting) story going on, or does he just tackle badguys each episode? If someone could give a spoiler-free reply, that'd be great.

First 3 seasons kind of follow a 50/50 format where kind of the first half of the season or so is mostly individual stories, but with the larger arc slowly being built at the same time. Then the second half drops the individual stories and focuses solely on the larger arc. Season 4 seems to be different so far though. If you think season 1 is just okay, probably at least keep watching because season 2 is a huge step up

Ruze789

Love this show so much. This one seemed a little less energetic than the rest of this season so far, even with the Raylan/ Randall meeting, but was still more enjoyable than most anything else I see on tv. Happy to see some more Rachel this episode, feels like it's been ages since she played a part other than a wisecrack from her desk.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Not an amazing episode, but it was enjoyable enough for sure. Looks like some interesting stuff in the upcoming one, so I'm looking forward to seeing how all this plays out.

The last few minutes were great and tense, even if you kind of knew where it was going. Thought it was pretty well done.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Decent episode; always nice to see more of Rachel too. (I'm still annoyed by the extremely sloppy way of handling Joe Mazzello's character's death. So lame.)

Also, stealth spoilers for The Wire in Sepinwall's review. Classy Sepinwall. :mad:

kirblar

We apparently won't be seeing
The fight promoter or the boxing girl, this season at least. They had intended to get back to them but couldn't fit them in.

Ellen may smarter then I thought!

I like her too much to see her get shot.

I thought that the ending was predictable...until I was proven wrong.

You think so? Ava (cleavage on full display tonight) plans on sending Ellen May away. Ellen says she wouldn't talk about the shooting of Tom Cruise's cousin. Ava still sends her away with colt. At that point I was not expecting Ellen May to make it to another episode. But then Colt gets a call on the drive and is awfully forthright about who he spoke to. This scenario has been done so many times in media that when it appears and you have the unsuspecting party respond with how what they said was "believable," there are a couple of tried and true avenues they could go down. Either the person being lead off to their doom pulled the wool over the eyes of their boss or they were legitimately telling the truth and will suffer an unjust death. For this episode of Justified, I think it's the former. Ellen was smart enough to get out of dodge at the gas station. She's scheming just like the rest of everyone. Ellen wasn't going to go all in with a fly by night Church and not confess all the sinful activities she been a complicit to.

Vert boil

BEGONE DEMON!

demonjyspn.gif

Burt

I like her too much to see her get shot.

You think so? Ava (cleavage on full display tonight) plans on sending Ellen May away. Ellen says she wouldn't talk about the shooting of Tom Cruise's cousin. Ava still sends her away with colt. At that point I was not expecting Ellen May to make it to another episode. But then Colt gets a call on the drive and is awfully forthright about who he spoke to. This scenario has been done so many times in media that when it appears and you have the unsuspecting party respond with how what they said was "believable," there are a couple of tried and true avenues they could go down. Either the person being lead off to their doom pulled the wool over the eyes of their boss or they were legitimately telling the truth and will suffer an unjust death. For this episode of Justified, I think it's the former. Ellen was smart enough to get out of dodge at the gas station. She's scheming just like the rest of everyone. Ellen wasn't going to go all in with a fly by night Church and not confess all the sinful activities she been a complicit to.
I doubt she confessed to the murder in church. She said she didn't, and she's not smart or deceitful enough to like about, and the preacher's sister didn't know anything about it either. And I think what the guy you responded to was talking about being predictable is that Boyd and Eva never had any intention of letting Ellen May make it to Alabama, and that it was obvious she was going to be killed, especially once Colt was driving her. The unexpected being Ellen May getting away.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I doubt she confessed to the murder in church. She said she didn't, and she's not smart or deceitful enough to like about, and the preacher's sister didn't know anything about it either. And I think what the guy you responded to was talking about being predictable is that Boyd and Eva never had any intention of letting Ellen May make it to Alabama, and that it was obvious she was going to be killed, especially once Colt was driving her. The unexpected being Ellen May getting away.

Excuse me Burt, but it's Ava - not Eva. Please don't make that mistake again. Thank you for your cooperation.

Plissken

Another solid episode, glad to see Rachel finally getting some development, hoping the same treatment is coming for Tim later in the season.

Sane_Man

Another solid episode. I love this show.

Can anyone remind me who it was that Ellen Mae saw Ava kill? I have no memory of that scene at all... I think I'm losing my mind.

Can anyone remind me who it was that Ellen Mae saw Ava kill? I have no memory of that scene at all... I think I'm losing my mind.
ibq97IgPNhykv0.gif

It's Delroy. He's the guy that organized the failed robbery when the women (including Ellen May) went into the bank. She sees him kill one of her friends at the slurry pond, so she runs off to get help from Ava.

Good episode. I didn't mind them putting the Bag in the Wall mystery on the backburner while Raylan got jerked around trying to get his money back (and failing). Though if I'd lost that much money, I sure as hell wouldn't just let it go. Also, good use of Rachel.

I'd sell those fucking chickens.

And how can you just kill Ella Mae? That's like kicking a puppy when it's down. I did like that Colt actually seemed conflicted about it though. Even though he had no problem shooting that other dude in the head in the first episode.

I want Randall to come back just for this kind of hilarious moment next season.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
SMH, Ava. SMH.

Pros:

-Rachel was put to good use. She really shines whenever she gets some screen time, just like Gutterson.
-That dumbass MMA fighter. I loved seeing Raylan (and then their trashy, bad girlfriend) shooting the snot out of him. Dumbass.
-Bitches chill.

Cons:

-The preacher's death was, indeed, poorly handled. You know, unless there's a tweeeest and he's still alive. Somehow. Maybe. Nah.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
So I think at this point we can just saw S3 was a FNL S2 style fluke? And it wasn't even nowhere as bad as that.

Seriously? Justified S3 should in no way be compared to FNL S2.

I had no idea the fans hated it so much. I thought it was good, just not on the god tier that season 2 exists on.

Seriously? Justified S3 should in no way be compared to FNL S2.

I had no idea the fans hated it so much. I thought it was good, just not on the god tier that season 2 exists on.

I just mean if you drew a line of quality from S1-S4, you'd see a dip in S3 and a return to form in S4. It's nowhere near as bad a dip, but FNL is the only show that's had a dip and then reset itself. Most shows just keep on dippin.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I just mean if you drew a line of quality from S1-S4, you'd see a dip in S3 and a return to form in S4. It's nowhere near as bad a dip, but FNL is the only show that's had a dip and then reset itself. Most shows just keep on dippin.

Fair enough. I may have liked S3 more than most. This season is off to a great start though, that is certainly true.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Same. Had some great Duffy/Gary/Dickie/Dewey moments and Neal McDonough was a blast to watch.

Limehouse was a snooze though.

Agreed on all points here. Especially the Wynn Duffy factor. And Limehouse was only good for threatening near meat.

And Randall does look a lot like Wreck it Ralph, now that its been mentioned.

Solo

Playing catch-up. Just finished episode three. Great episode. Snake attack was gruesome as fuck. I really like Lindsay. Too bad it seems like she swindled Raylan. Johnny Crowder is still a snake.

Solo

Episode Four was pretty good, not as good as the first three though. Slightly disappointing end to the Lindsay/husband stuff, and I'm still not entirely sure what the direction of this season is.

I took the longish hair as a sign that he's been sloppy recently when it comes to relationships, his job, as well as personal grooming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom