• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 4 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple cool still from the episode:
LgMi5h2.jpg

M3he52X.jpg

Also, a few comments from VJ Boyd, who wrote this week's episode, over in the comments of the Warming Glow review. I spoiler tagged a few things, but they're pretty minor.

Q: Could you talk about any of the research you had to put in, as a writer on the show, about Kentucky, the dixie mafia or anything like that?

A: We definitely did research on Dixie Mafia, many of us went to Harlan, etc., but basically we make everything up. Enough really insane political hijinks and criminal dealings have occurred in Halan County that nothing we make up is really too over the top (well, maybe Quarles, but he’s from Detroit, so…)

Q: Any chance we see Limehouse again?

A: Yes. Why, do you need some meat cut?

Q: Is it intentional to not have a Buffy-style Big bad guy this year? Season one had the Crowders, 2 had Mags, 3 had Quarles. But this year there is no central bad guy. Church girl, Theo, Boyd, Wynn, Drew, and so on. I for one like the variety and feel that there are so many directions to go with the setup this year.

A: Yes it was intentional. We’re trying to tell 2 or 3 stories over the course of the season, all tied together, sort of, by the mystery of the bag.

Q: About how much time will have passed this season? It seems like the episodes just pick up where they left off from.

A: Episodes 1-7 take place over 7 days (a day per ep). I haven’t tracked the others yet.

Q: How much more can you use Winona now that she has a (much much much worse) show on Fox to do too?

A: We can get her for a day here and there. You will see her again.

Q: Is there a character that you enjoy writing for more than any others? Or one that you just go “Ugh, I hate this dingus!”?

A: Wynn Duffy is the most fun by far, and then Shelby, Jim Beaver makes everything you write sound like Shakespeare

Q: Is it just me or did boyd let raylan handcuff him to that tree. I mean he didn’t even fight it a little bit. Is this because he’s so sure he’ll find Thompson before Raylan, or something else?

A: He did let him. Raylan was armed and Boyd wasn’t, plus what you said about Boyd being a known criminal. Why fight it.

Q: Colton mentioned in the first episode of the season that he is from Bel Air (my home town!), the birthplace of John Wilkes Booth. Did he say this because it’s the only interesting fact about Bel Air, or might there be some foreshadowing?

A: It was just color, though we might mention it again.

Q: Is there a chance we’ve already met Drew Thompson? From what Mary said it seemed like he knew the powerful people in Harlan. I just can’t think of anyone that would fit the description.

A: You will see/identify him at a certain point. Keep in mind he’s old by now, so he’s not necessarily imposing/a force to be reckoned with.

Q: If Theo Tonin already had the FBI head honcho in his pocket, as a longtime willing accomplice, why would he take the risk of trying to turn a lower-level agent by threatening his family? Seems like a dangerously unnecessary risk, when he could’ve gotten the same results with Tobolowsky’s FBI chief ordering the agent to find Thompson etc.

A: Our original intention (and this may have gotten lost in the wash once the episode got shot) was that Barnes had been dirty for some time, but that this particular threat was so severe that his family was being explicitly threatened if he didn’t get results immediately. Idea being Barkley’s family was probably under the same threat to a degree. We were trying to play Barnes as Barkley’s henchman to a degree, so it was still Barkley pulling those strings at Tonin’s behest. It’s muddy, though, I know. Not sure it hangs together tbh.

Q: Any chance that Drew Thompson turns out to be the furry that was shot by Ellie May in the first episode this season?

A: Drew’s identity will eventually be revealed but I can’t be throwing out any clues. You will see Arnold (the furry) again, however.

Linius

That was a gloriously fun episode. Among the many other guest stars, I enjoyed that they managed to have Kurt and Finn's mom and dad from Glee in the same episode.

I watched my fair share of Glee at the beginning but I failed to recognize them, good spotting :p

Seeing Beckman amongst the hill people was fine too. Lots of familiar faces this episode. And just another great Justified episode :D

xenist

Fun fact. I was listening to Marc Marron's WTF podcast. This week he did two interviews with Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner, which by the way should be required listening to people who love comedy history. Reiner told him that Justified is a show he and Brooks get together and watch.

So every week as you watch the show remember you are sharing a moment with the directors of Blazing Saddles and The Jerk.

Solo

Best episode of the season so far. Check another Deadwood alum off the list (Gerald McRaney), and Beckman from Chuck - nice! Wynn's reaction when Toblowsky's character was shot dead beside him was completely priceless. My only real qualm with the season so far is that there isn't really a compelling bad guy. S1 had Boyd/Beau, S2 had Mags, and S3 had Quarles. S4 doesn't really have that element. No one so far between the Hill people, the Frankfurt people, etc, has that kind of presence.

Solo

No kidding, Season 2 got topped tonight. This might be the season Jusitfied enters the pantheon, hits Breaking Bad tier.

You're getting way too far ahead of yourself, Ben. Not with the BB comparison (its been on that level for a while), but with putting it over the note perfect S2, let alone doing so less than halfway through the season.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
BTW, I can't be the only one who finds Gutterson slightly unhinged.

Just a wee.

That little bit about being too young to be poppin' taliban heads and evening out with brony-quality literature was totally off the wall.

Everyone does, not just the audience - Art and Raylan clearly know he's fucked.

I think Art specifically mentioned that he was probably suffering from some un-diagnosed PTSD, had a drinking problem, and was probably going to snap at some point while he was talking to the guy who wanted the Chief job when Art retires.

I tried to watch the first season, but it got so unrealistic I just couldn't.

Does it get better?
Yes, it does. Quite a few people had problems with the first couple S1 episodes before it hits stride towards the back end of the season, though realism is rarely a complaint.

Plissken

I tried to watch the first season, but it got so unrealistic I just couldn't.

Does it get better?

I guess that depends on what you consider the "unrealistic" parts of the show. I personally have loved pretty much every episode, even the first 5-6 in season one that are basically one-off episodes with little connection. Season 2, for my money, is one of the best seasons of any show on television . I'd say stick with it until at least the end of Season 1, if the premise interests you at all; the latter half of Season 1 really takes off and the momentum continues for the rest of the series.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Boyd Crowder's ride and Marshal Givens' sidekick meet again. Probably not for the last time.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
"That's like warning a man it's gonna rain when he's already wet"

Edit: Damn Cornballer, every time! Lol

Edit 2: Colton is messssssed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom