• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 4 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dammit I'm tired of Time Warner! My DVR stopped recording in the middle of the last scene with Boyd and the guys formerly in power. What happened after Johnny drew his gun and told them to sit?

Also did anyone else get the feeling Rayland lied about Arlo dying? Seemed odd to reveal it like that.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Dammit I'm tired of Time Warner! My DVR stopped recording in the middle of the last scene with Boyd and the guys formerly in power. What happened after Johnny drew his gun and told them to sit?

Also did anyone else get the feeling Rayland lied about Arlo dying? Seemed odd to reveal it like that.

Your DVR cut off a scene confirming Arlo's death.

bndadm

I'd do anything for Ian McShane to show up in Justified. They've used just about every other Deadwood actor.

Oh man, Ian McShane and Powers Boothe...maybe TV just couldn't handle it again.

Just watched this episode and what a powerhouse. Fantastic directing on the opening scene (brutal). I actually had to check the episode length to see if it was actually two episodes long - felt like they packed an immense amount of story in.

Great and fantastic and a little sad.

I will echo others' concerns that Eva/Boyd relationship is not going to make it. I always get that dread when serious dramas like this start having their characters invest heavily in their future. Hope I'm wrong.

I'd do anything for Ian McShane to show up in Justified. They've used just about every other Deadwood actor.
Someone did the math yesterday and pointed out that 12 former Deadwood actors have appeared on Justified. Also, 9 have done Sons of Anarchy, and the only guy to do both is Ray McKinnon.

There's a Russian(?) blog that's been compiling pics of guest stars that appeared on Justified. I'm not sure how comprehensive it is, but it's fun to scroll through the list.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Drew Thompson speculation:
I hope Shelby doesn't end up being Drew because I really like him on the show.

Brad Dourif needs to make an appearance, he's not busy doing anything is he?

BFIB

After a crappy week, I was finally able to watch the new episode.

Wow. Jesus, this show needs to be on the everyone's watch list. This thread has every right to be 3X the size it is now.

-Per what other Gaffers are stating, regarding who Drew Thompson is, I agree
-We are finally seeing Boyd take the reigns on his future. But I'm afraid this won't bode well for Wynn. However, I believe that Wynn
will somehow make Johnny responsible, whic means the end of Johnny
-After a slow start, the show from here on out looks to be full steam ahead. I like the overall "big bad" per season, but this was a nice change of pace

Finally, onto Arlo.

The way he died, with such little fanfare, just a simple "They called an hour ago, he's dead." description takes a lot of guts. And a lot of other shows could not handle a big characters death in this manner and have it work. But that's what makes this show so great. It does work, and it worked well.

Someone did the math yesterday and pointed out that 12 former Deadwood actors have appeared on Justified. Also, 9 have done Sons of Anarchy, and the only guy to do both is Ray McKinnon.

There's a Russian(?) blog that's been compiling pics of guest stars that appeared on Justified. I'm not sure how comprehensive it is, but it's fun to scroll through the list.

Was that list posted in the thread? I can't find it

Timothy Olyphant (Bullock)
Brent Sexton (Harry Manning)
Sean Bridgers (Johnny Burns)
W Earl Brown (Dan Dority)
Ray McKinnon (Rev Smith)
Jim Beaver (Ellsworth)
Pruitt Taylor Vince (Mose Manuel)
Peter Jason (Con Stapleton)
Stephen Tobolowsky (Hugo Jarry)
Gerald McRaney (Hearst)
Jennifer Lutheran (Jen)

Don't know who the other one is that i'm missing

Maybe they should have Theo Tonin as Season 5's Big Bad, dealing with the fallout from this season and then bring in Ian McShane as the ultimate Big Bad for a final Season 6.

Linius

Maybe they should have Theo Tonin as Season 5's Big Bad, dealing with the fallout from this season and then bring in Ian McShane as the ultimate Big Bad for a final Season 6.

I'd love a bigger part in the show for Theo Tonin. Judging from the few scenes we had with him he seems like a 'good' baddy.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Sorry, I'm late on this episode. I was out Tuesday night and didn't get the chance to watch it on my DVR until Thursday. Kinda disappointed because the promos for next week completely spoiled what was going to happen...but oh well, guess that's the cost of doing business.

One of the better episodes this season. Honestly, despite there not being some ominous big bad guy in this season, I think it's been very strong and maybe even the better for changing the formula. Now we've got a lot of very personal high stakes conflicts on the horizon. The body count was through the roof and Raylan's reaction to shooting the "cop" was hilarious.

Speculation on my part, but Duffy is in big trouble. He is in the middle of a tricky situation.
Tim is going to be PISSED when he founds out his buddy died. I feel a showdown coming...might be his moment of characterization that the writers have been talking about...since Season 1

Snake

So a lawman's old friend gets out of jail. He has some bad associations with drugs, and goes to his lawman buddy for help. But an enforcer for the local crime boss kills the friend, and the lawman is going to have to find out who did this and bring him to justice, in a part of the country that is not his own.

Am I talking about these last few episodes, or is it

J7yJhc1.png

That's right, Deputy US Marshal Tim Gutterson is Eddie Murphy. Let the hijinks ensue.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Last weeks episode was fuuuuuuuuuuuckin awesome....

Warming glow won't stop talking about how fucking boss this show is. I caught up via netflix in time for season3 to start and gawt-dayum.

This is seriously the best show on television. Timothy Olyphant will forever be a US marshal in my eyes.

And I wanna be good buds with Boyd. My kind of outlaw.

Johnny boy is fucked unless he uses the Ele May knowledge as a bargaining chip to save his life.

could talk about this shit for days. Subbin here cause DAMN - i needed someone to talk to about this show kill crazy rampage and only one person at my office watches. Disgraceful.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm betting Duffy gives up Johnny to save his skin.

Anyone else notice how often they cut to Tim in the office. Kept expecting him to say something.

inm8num2

Why hasn't Patton Oswalt been in more episodes? I was rather looking forward to him being an awkward buddy cop to Raylan. ;)

I understand he'll be in Tuesday's episode, though.

Burt

So a lawman's old friend gets out of jail. He has some bad associations with drugs, and goes to his lawman buddy for help. But an enforcer for the local crime boss kills the friend, and the lawman is going to have to find out who did this and bring him to justice, in a part of the country that is not his own.

Am I talking about these last few episodes, or is it

That's right, Deputy US Marshal Tim Gutterson is Eddie Murphy. Let the hijinks ensue.

tumblr_lzt1bjXMsE1qax2xho2_250.gif

Edit: Correction:

tumblr_m1bzgrpM181qaio2lo1_500.gif

Last weeks episode was fuuuuuuuuuuuckin awesome....

Warming glow won't stop talking about how fucking boss this show is. I caught up via netflix in time for season3 to start and gawt-dayum.

This is seriously the best show on television. Timothy Olyphant will forever be a US marshal in my eyes.

And I wanna be good buds with Boyd. My kind of outlaw.

Johnny boy is fucked unless he uses the Ele May knowledge as a bargaining chip to save his life.

could talk about this shit for days. Subbin here cause DAMN - i needed someone to talk to about this show kill crazy rampage and only one person at my office watches. Disgraceful.

Huh? Is Justified on Netflix now?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
One thing I've noticed about Gutterson is how subdued he is. Everything about him is nuanced or oddly muffled, almost as a traumatised puppy. Even when he is happy or joyful he seems oddly quiet, to the point of making Raylan look prone to exhuberance. The thousand-yard stare plays a role in it, no doubt.

That's exactly the kind of people you don't want to piss off.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Ian McShane's wordplay going up against Boyd's might actually be more worthy of anticipation than any Olyphant/Deadwood esque showdown.

tumblr_lzt1bjXMsE1qax2xho2_250.gif

Edit: Correction:

tumblr_m1bzgrpM181qaio2lo1_500.gif

This still weirds me out.

One thing I've noticed about Gutterson is how subdued he is. Everything about him is nuanced or oddly muffled, almost as a traumatised puppy. Even when he is happy or joyful he seems oddly quiet, to the point of making Raylan look prone to exhuberance. The thousand-yard stare plays a role in it, no doubt.

All that's gonna be left of Colt is a torso with the rest of him painting the walls of Boyd's bar.

Especially this whole season, he seems like he is one step away from going postal.

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised to see him blow up before the season ends. They've done a solid job getting more Gutterson in this year, though Rachel's been sidelined for the most part after she had a few scenes at the beginning of the season. Hope to get a bit more from her before we're done this year. I suppose there's more room now that they killed a boatload of people last week.

- FX's Justified Blog: Q&A with “Outlaw” Co-writer Keith Schreier
–I usually start these interviews by asking the writers how they wound up on Justified and how they got started writing, and we’ll get to that, but I have to address something else first… HOW COULD YOU KILL ARLO? HOW?!

[Laughs] That was something that went back and forth when the story was being broken. It was actually changed in a late draft where he wasn’t going to die. There was going to be an attack on him where he turns the tables on his attacker and he survives the attack at the end. But I believe it was Tim Olyphant who really wanted to have an emotional Raylan scene in the episode. He really wanted there to be something where Raylan basically breaks down, so the best way that we could do that was to have Arlo die. So even though it had been talked about, the final impulse seemed like it was Tim Olyphant, and it just seemed to really work out.

–So it sounds like having Arlo die was one of the only things left to do to Raylan to give us new insight to his emotional state?

It probably would have had the most impact. Raylan obviously doesn’t get along with his dad. They have had their differences in the past, but he is still his dad. So when his father dies, it’s going to hit him. The only person I could see hitting him more would be someone like Winona. Or maybe someone like Art. But yeah, having someone like Arlo die would really get him in a different emotional space for the final few episodes of the season.

–Was Arlo’s death something that had been in discussion since the start of the season or is it something that came up only once the room was breaking this episode?

There was always going to be an Arlo hit somewhere…when we did the big [start of season] grid. I think it bounced around to different episodes, but I think as far as him dying, I don’t believe we really talked about him dying until we got closer to the episode.

–Was there a debate?

For pretty much anything there are going to be two schools of thought and this was a huge decision to make… [Graham] called Raymond Barry. Typically on a show when a character is a major character and he’s been around for a couple of seasons, the showrunner will call the actor and say, “this is what’s happening to your character.” And typically it’s not that you’re not satisfied with the actor, it’s just this is what’s best for the show and what’s best for the story.
Much more via the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom