• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 4 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
Great season opener.

I honestly think, this is the most underrated Drama currently on TV. I would honestly put it up their with Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones etc. So good.

bluemax

Banned
So...

Any guesses as to what/why Boyd is stashing money that he doesn't want Ava to know about?

I also kind of wonder if Raylan's side money won't become an issue of some kind later in the season.

ivysaur12

Banned
No Tim or Art this week. Yost once again said that Rachel and Tim would get bigger stuff this season, but he says that every year.

I'll believe it when I see it. Sadly.

It's an easy fix with some great material, but this is neither here nor there, I suppose.

Nesotenso

Great season opener.

I honestly think, this is the most underrated Drama currently on TV. I would honestly put it up their with Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones etc. So good.

yeah the activity on GAF threads for the first couple of seasons was minimal. Now non-Americans have caught on to it.

Great opener. Are six seasons confirmed ?

I'll believe it when I see it. Sadly.
I'm in the same boat given that he's said the same thing the last three years. However, the good news is that the series regular cast has been reduced to just Raylan, Boyd, Art, Ava, Tim, and Rachel this year. Also, without a 'big bad' per se, they have fewer mouths to feed over the course of the season. Fingers crossed...

BFIB

I'm in the same boat given that he's said the same thing the last three years. However, the good news is that the series regular cast has been reduced to just Raylan, Boyd, Art, Ava, Tim, and Rachel this year. Also, without a 'big bad' per se, they have fewer mouths to feed over the course of the season. Fingers crossed...
I must have missed it but what about Winona?

Is she off the show?

I must have missed it but what about Winona?

Is she off the show?
She is no longer a series regular since she's on The Following now. She'll appear this season, but not as much as previous years. IIRC, Arlo was a series regular in the past, but he isn't any more.

This was a great, tight hour. Really funny too.

Oswalt was good. Boyd was awesome (Asimov reference my lawwwwd).....Justified is back and is as good as ever.

Did anyone notice that it was shot a bit differently? Felt a bit FNL-ish/handycamish for some shots.
Absolutely did, and not sure I liked it either.

That said, lots TO like in this episode. Hope we see a ton more Patton, he nailed it. They've got me hooked as usual... No show swaggers like Justified.

Man,
Raylan has fallen off. He let a teenager distract him while her accomplice takes his car. With his prisoner. Inside the trunk.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was a great premiere. I'm really excited to see what this parachute mystery is all about - it's feels like a really fresh and inspired direction to take the season in.

Other thoughts:

Ava!

Holy gratuitous nudity batman!

I was really impressed with Joe Mazzello as the snake handling preacher. I'd only seen him in Jurassic Park and Star Kid, when he was a kid, so I didn't quite know what to expect from him as an adult. He has great presence and he absolutely nailed the southern preacher type to a tee. Honestly, I could see him becoming the season long villain, if that's what they were going for. (which I don't think it is, but still, he could do it)

That's Tom Walker from Homeland, eh?

Ah, so that's who he was. I kept trying to place him.

Great season opener. I really like how they're bringing back in the "criminal preacher" angle. Patton Oswalt just being in the show was great, and his character being a likeable fuck-up was just icing on that cake. I wanted to see Bobby Quarles in a cameo (and hoped for a second we would when I saw the prison), but there's plenty of time for that later, if it ever happens.

Honestly, my only real concern is a perceived lack of charisma in the snake-handling preacher character. But his scene was so small. I could be totally wrong.

And I assume I am. Really, anyone would lack charisma when compared to Quarles!

EDIT: Oh yeah. I hear the opening warning about how bad the show is, and I'm wondering to myself, "What will pass for 'nudity' in this episode?' Boy was I surprised (in a good way) in short order!
Carla Gugino's character to return in the nude, plz.

<3 Justified

EDIT 2: Whoa, that was the Jurassic Park kid? Sweet!

Man,
Raylan has fallen off. He let a teenager distract him while her accomplice takes his car. With his prisoner. Inside the trunk.

He knew something was up the second she flashed him, but the car was already stolen by then.

And really, she looked like she had the assets to stun any man.

She is no longer a series regular since she's on The Following now. She'll appear this season, but not as much as previous years. IIRC, Arlo was a series regular in the past, but he isn't any more.

Man, what a step down for her. I mean show quality-wise, not the amount of work she's doing (looks like she has a more substantial role in The Following.) The show looks like derivative crap from the previews. Poor Kevin Bacon.

Boyd and Ryalan both have an interesting way of storing their money. No love for the banks after last season?

"A" rated premiere for me. We get a mystery this season and some hilarious dialog.

Is Ron Eldard a chameleon? He looks nothing like I expected.

lol this church guy looks like the kid from Jurassic Park all grown up.

ROFLMAO.

So...

Any guesses as to what/why Boyd is stashing money that he doesn't want Ava to know about?

I also kind of wonder if Raylan's side money won't become an issue of some kind later in the season.

I think it's because weddings aint cheap.

Nesotenso

Any Kentucky Basketball fans on GAF watch the show ? Was wondering if they ever displayed Wildcat paraphernalia in the background ?

That was a great premiere. I'm really excited to see what this parachute mystery is all about - it's feels like a really fresh and inspired direction to take the season in.

Other thoughts:

Ava!

Holy gratuitous nudity batman!

I was really impressed with Joe Mazzello as the snake handling preacher. I'd only seen him in Jurassic Park and Star Kid, when he was a kid, so I didn't quite know what to expect from him as an adult. He has great presence and he absolutely nailed the southern preacher type to a tee. Honestly, I could see him becoming the season long villain, if that's what they were going for. (which I don't think it is, but still, he could do it)

Ah, so that's who he was. I kept trying to place him.

You've never seen him in The Pacific as Eugene Sledge?

Best show on tv.

O5J4s.gif

Man,

For as awesome at killing people as he is, Raylan does seem to fuck up like this a lot. I remember in one of the Leonard books starring him, he loses a fugitive at the airport because he was too focused on eating an ice cream cone and let the dude go to the bathroom unattended. Then there was a few times in the show where people get the drop on him. I kind of like that he messes up from time to time, makes him seem more human

This episode did seem a little different from the first two seasons. Seemed more tightly edited or something. The action never really slowed down from the first shot to the last

BFIB

Pretty cool interview. Had no idea the guy had a run at stand-up comedy.

Great episode, as expected. The mystery is a nice change of pace.

Its not often that a show can change like this and maintain its high standard. There's a few that has done this, but for the most part, once shows find their footing, they tend to not sway outside the lines.

Kudos to the writing staff and producers for handling this so well.

Looking at the last few pages, I guess I'm in the minority in thinking the premiere was just so-so.

- Patton's character didn't hit it off with me and the role seemed unnecessarily emphasized simply because he's Patton Oswalt. I did like the part where he accidentally stabbed the wrong foot though.

- I hope preacher guy isn't the main villain. He seems to lack that intimidating presence of big bads from previous seasons.

- The way that showdown ended at the end was disappointing, too. The trunk-fugitive let Raylan elbow the site worker and run all the way towards him without firing off a single shot. Eh.

- Maybe it was just my perception of Arlo, but I didn't think he was straight up vicious to slit a man's throat like that and then calmly lie back down. He did bad things, but I dunno, that just seemed like an entirely new level to me out of nowhere.

- Boyd still rocks. Looks like he got a quality replacement for Devil. I guess we'll have to give the guy time, but he doesn't feel as quirky as who he's replacing though.

Looking at the last few pages, I guess I'm in the minority in thinking the premiere was just so-so.

- Patton's character didn't hit it off with me and the role seemed unnecessarily emphasized simply because he's Patton Oswalt. I did like the part where he accidentally stabbed the wrong foot though.

- I hope preacher guy isn't the main villain. He seems to lack that intimidating presence of big bads from previous seasons.

- The way that showdown ended at the end was disappointing, too. The trunk-fugitive let Raylan elbow the site worker and run all the way towards him without firing off a single shot. Eh.

- Maybe it was just my perception of Arlo, but I didn't think he was straight up vicious to slit a man's throat like that and then calmly lie back down. He did bad things, but I dunno, that just seemed like an entirely new level to me out of nowhere.

- Boyd still rocks. Looks like he got a quality replacement for Devil. I guess we'll have to give the guy time, but he doesn't feel as quirky as who he's replacing though.

I loved the "Take care of him" scene where he just assumes Boyd wants him to shoot the guy instead of letting him go. we've probably seen scenes like that a million times in movies but the way they played it was brilliant. His reaction to Boyd telling him he meant to cut him free and turn him loose was so good

I specifically made sure my cable provider had FX (Canada) when I moved into my apartment but when I looked at schedule they had Sons of Anarchy for 10pm. I was really sad. Looks like Justified was licensed by some premium channel in Canada which I don't have but I could check the schedule and they were playing an episode from season 2 at 10pm.

Luckily my automated newsbin downloaded it as soon as it was uploaded online. Can't wait to go and watch it after work.

Now that, ladies and gentleman, is how you make an episode of television.

Not totally sold on Patton Oswalt's character yet, and I would have loved some Tim or Art, but other than that--fan-fucking-tastic.

I'm considering watching this after I come out of The Shield. How do the two compare, if at all?

The Shield's highs are higher, but (after a slow start) Justified is way more consistent. Assuming Justified stays at its current level of quality throughout the rest of its run I'll probably end up thinking it's a better show than The Shield overall.

I'm considering watching this after I come out of The Shield. How do the two compare, if at all?
Pretty similarly, actually. Share a lot of common themes in the moral gray, corruption, tons of scheming/plotting between sides, badass/threatening characters, and kind of a 'wild west' environment.

Walton Goggin's character is kinda similar, too, but much more of a badass here.

Looks like the deck has been stacked against Raylan.
He not only has to fight agianst' Boyd (again), but this backwoods preacher, Boyd's Desert Storm buddy, possibly the individual or group behind that bag and IA.

Looks like the deck has been stacked against Raylan. He not only has to fight agianst' Boyd (again), but this backwoods preacher, Boyd's Desert Storm buddy, possibly the individual or group behind that bag and IA.
Yup, though that's usually the case.

By the way, there's no need to spoiler tag discussion of things that have already happen. Just use 'em for actual spoilers e.g. stuff that hasn't happened yet, preview discussion, spoiler information from interviews, etc.... thanks.

ivysaur12

Banned
Good opener. I unfortunately passed out halfway through it last night, but I rewatched it this morning before work.

Very few moving parts, but I like that better. I also love that there's a religious aspect to the season, that's very important in small town rural-ville. Loved Patton's charactered, loved the "titties"... this show can mix the perfect amounts of pulp and seriousness.

Can't wait for next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom