• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

Selane

Even if Kara was rude, I don't think Hara is wrong for not wanting to tolerate being treated like a whore because she went out with one guy or whatever. Also people like Super Junior and Kim Goora aren't exactly in a position to be throwing stones when it comes to character.

Radio Star has pretty much always been a trash show, so it's not really surprising.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Kim Goora is an old school sexist who should have lost all credibility a long time ago.

llehuty

The show could easily be edited, who knows how the actual exchange was. That bunch of bastards calling her dating-doll because she had one relationship, smh.

Dice

Though if Hara was a bit quicker on the uptake she could have wiped her eyes and gone "Sorry, I'm just a... Damaged Lady -- New Kara single available now!"

This Netizen stuff truly never ceases to amaze me. Honestly, I never really understand it. I assume most of it stems from what I'd have to identify as just the inherent childishness of kpop "fandom" in general--people arguing over the dumbest shit and hating on other groups because they go against their favorites, etc. I never know whether to take these reactions from Korea seriously because, from where I'm looking, they definitely come off almost exclusively as batshit insane, sadistically unforgiving trolls who are good for nothing beyond passing judgment; and yet, enough people seem to take them seriously. They talk about how this group or that group is "done" and the Korean public will no longer accept them. People with some connection to Korean culture typically run some form of "maybe they're still respected overseas, but over here, it's different.", and people "overseas" eat it up. I can never really get a handle on it. All it ever ends with is what basically translates to "you wouldn't understand unless you were here, but it's COMPLETELY different". I don't know what is or isn't different based on whatever context I'd gain by knowing more about the situation over there, but can people honestly justify this?

I'm speaking mostly in general about how stupid I think these "controversies" are, but to tie it back to this Kara situation, does anything they did truly justify that kind of reaction from people? Just to be clear and make sure I'm understanding this correctly, Hara got upset about jokes/inquiries regarding dating, and Jiyoung didn't want to do aegyo? So the immediate reaction to that is "these bitches think they're too high and mighty now? I HOPE THEIR LIVES ARE RUINED FOREVER! GO BACK TO JAPAN!". Am I crazy or does that not seem extreme? I understand being in the public eye and all that but, christ, the way these people seem to treat these idols is awful. Any little slip-up and they go for the throat. Not an ounce of forgiveness or understanding, regardless of the situation...

ramyeon

The issue with Kara is more about lack of respect for seniors in the industry, but of course it's taken out of context from one heavily edited and scripted show.

You have to remember the main audience of kpop in Korea and the ones most active on news articles about it are young teenagers.

The thing is that netizens really do have the power to change the scene/ruin groups or people if they come together in numbers, sometimes for better but usually for worse.

Dice

I'm speaking mostly in general about how stupid I think these "controversies" are
See thread title.

The issue with Kara is more about lack of respect for seniors in the industry, but of course it's taken out of context from one heavily edited and scripted show.

You have to remember the main audience of kpop in Korea and the ones most active on news articles about it are young teenagers.

The thing is that netizens really do have the power to change the scene/ruin groups or people if they come together in numbers, sometimes for better but usually for worse.
Then you remember these are the same people who ruin their personal lives just from knowing anything about them, which is why Hara got upset in the first place, and thus...

8GneicW.gif

But that also raises the question: Why isn't Sera their stoic goddess?

5vlqJLF.gif

ramyeon

Yeah well, you can't expect much maturity from young fan girls of idol groups. There are sometimes a few hidden gems in the top comments of articles but most of the ones with thousands of up votes are just funny/ridiculous.

Internet anonymity has always been a problem in Korea, partly the reason why you can't actually be properly anonymous online in Korea anymore. Most sites require you to use your social security number to register and post, people still say shit regardless though.

And remember the hate is multiplied by 100 because they're female idols. Male idols never get it so bad because "oppa didn't mean it".

Selane

I guess I don't understand what it is they did that indicates a 'lack of respect'. Seems to me that trying to ruin someone's career because they cried when people harassed them for no reason is much less respectful.

Just makes me glad I don't live in Asia, since apparently the only thing that makes someone deserving of respect is being old(even if you're a gigantic shitbag as a person).

Dice

Just makes me glad I don't live in Asia, since apparently the only thing that makes someone deserving of respect is being old(even if you're a gigantic shitbag as a person).
Well see I think something that happened here is that Kara got used to Japan, where veteran hosts have generally acted like respectable veteran show hosts. They come back to Korea where seniority is just a fucking joke to be dicks to younger people and they have a hard time adjusting back to living with zero dignity after having been treated like human beings with feelings.

This isn't to say Japan itself doesn't have hefty issues with Confucian social structures, but their TV producers and hosts just seem to be smarter about making sure the show remains a good time for all.

neoism

lol it really is over nothing you'd think Hara would now how to handle a situation like that having been in the business for so long.. Why the hell do they even tolerate it their rich musical celebrities I would just stay "non yo business" and be done with it..

giri

lol it really is over nothing you'd think Hara would now how to handle a situation like that having been in the business for so long.. Why the hell do they even tolerate it their rich musical celebrities I would just stay "non yo business" and be done with it..
SUJU should be disbanded. Publicly shamed. And all forced into another round of military service until they learn some respect.

Ym1r

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com.br/2013/09/follow-up-things-continue-to-look-grim.html

Comments are hilarious

[+3,740, -95] Is she acting like this because she thinks she's popular now? Stop pushing your visuals and improve your singing. You're getting paid to promote yourselves on variety shows... yeah, it must be SO difficult to do some aegyo once in a while. Go back to your roots.

[+253, -7] Jiyoung's going to get so much hate when she does aegyo on TV anymore ㅋㅋㅋ

[+9,914, -660] Yeah, you guys are over

[+7,507, -247] If this was in the past, Kim Gura would've thrown the script cards at your faces... He would've told you to quit your damn careers if you're going to act like that on TV. Be glad that you met him only after he cleaned up his act. Do you know how many kids would die for a chance to do aegyo on a show like that? I bet you guys don't even remember your nugu days when you did anything and everything asked of you for screentime.

[5,552, -202] Never did I imagine that KARA would be taking T-ara's spot.......

[+3,642, -90] KARA's seriously fu*king insane... If you're going to act like that on TV, go back to Japan and don't ever come back to Korea. You know why top stars are popular? They know when to let their image go when it's necessary.

[+3,104, -42] They brought it upon themselves ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

[+1,410, -97] Fu*k off KARA, you dogs

[+1,569, -85] Show me an aegyo^^

[+1,865, -170] I don't even want to see them on TV. I really want all of these negative things about the idols to come out all at once so that they can fu*k off once and for all. All of them are sick with the celebrity disease when they're nothing but sl*ts.

Selane

Yup, they sure are 'dogs' and 'sluts', after the horrible(I guess?) things they did. I like the comment about Kim Goora being an asshole though. Because that's ok for certain people, apparently.

A lot of it just comes off like victim blaming...saying they should know better, or put up with bullshit because it's considered normal, or whatever. Saying they would once do anything for fame and now they think they're "too good", it's really a load of crap. How hard have they worked, for how many years? You would assume it'd at least give them the right to not put up with the same kind of shit they did when they were new. Of course, idols can't show any self-awareness. God forbid they think for themselves, show any kind of emotion that wasn't prompted, or stand up for anything. They're just useless puppets that are completely replaceable. I get that it's mostly teenagers and trolls, but it does cross over to the point enough people take it seriously, and like ramyeon said, they do have the power to affect these groups negatively...damn kids are affecting my ability to enjoy some decent music.

Desmond

That OP has some great stuff. Thanks for all the recommendations earlier too guys.

Can't get "Bubble Pop" and "abracadabra " out of my head. So catchy. :lol

What's this controversy you guys are all talking about?

/newbie

giri

A lot of it just comes off like victim blaming...saying they should know better, or put up with bullshit because it's considered normal, or whatever. Saying they would once do anything for fame and now they think they're "too good", it's really a load of crap. How hard have they worked, for how many years? You would assume it'd at least give them the right to not put up with the same kind of shit they did when they were new. Of course, idols can't show any self-awareness. God forbid they think for themselves, show any kind of emotion that wasn't prompted, or stand up for anything. They're just useless puppets that are completely replaceable. I get that it's mostly teenagers and trolls, but it does cross over to the point enough people take it seriously, and like ramyeon said, they do have the power to affect these groups negatively...damn kids are affecting my ability to enjoy some decent music.

Alot of it is sexism and suju/gura stanning.

kingkitty

Lol reading Netizenbuzz is like watching the Playa Hater's Ball.

Also didn't Kim Gura a whiles back compare comfort women to prostitutes? The guy's a dick. But oh golly gee shame on Kara for not doing aegyo.

[+3,642, -90] KARA's seriously fu*king insane... If you're going to act like that on TV, go back to Japan and don't ever come back to Korea. You know why top stars are popular? They know when to let their image go when it's necessary.

Comments are fncking hilarious and stupid but I agree with this statement.

This is one of the reasons why Soshi's variety appearances are usually excellent. Being the most popular K-Pop group in recent history, you'd think they'd be one of the more private groups out there. But just take a look at Instagram and their variety appearances, they understand that a proper image isn't what sells them these days. It's the fact that they seem like real human beings(except Seobot) that anyone can relate to.

Of course KARA does have the right to complain if the hosts were acting like dickbags but as usual, the real story ain't coming out until 100 years from now. Everyone's just gonna deflect the blame to someone else.

a lot of salty tears in this thread.

radio star is a variety program. kara was there to promote their album/song.

radio star is also known to ask direct questions besides fun ones, not some softball questions.

kara went to the program, therefore they should have expected as much.

why go to that kind of program and then cry and make everyone uncomfortable? especially that aegyo request, really ridiculous.

if kara wanted to go to a program that would throw them softball questions, then they should not have gone to radio star. they went to a program that is known and expected to ask the type of questions that kara would want to avoid, yet kara still went to it. now radio star is at fault? radio star is not going to change its format just because kara is whining. kara is just one out of many artists, why should radio star accommodate kara when that sort of questioning is what the audience expects from the program?

now, kara went to the program, okay. mcs ask the questions, but instead hara throws a bottle at the mcs. if EmptySpace were the editor/producer of the program, he would not edit those parts out and show it to the world. crying because someone asks you to show aegyo? throwing a tantrum in front of seniors? hara could have explained that she wants to avoid those types of questions because it hurts her or stresses her out or something, everything can be done with diplomacy. hara was glaring at the mcs, and threw a tantrum. obviously, when the mc said, "goo hara is done," he is not going to reveal something that hara did not give permission to. it was a joke and everyone understood it, but hara cried because she was angry. seriously. even the mcs were so taken aback because it was clearly said for laughs and for broadcast.

and that aegyo request, come on. just do it and get it over with. jiyoung has done it a million times, in korea and in japan.

Ym1r

inc a lot of hatred towards you EmptySpace, I kind of said the same thing too, it felt like I was the only one who thought that way.

ramyeon

Yeah, I can't imagine the questions wouldn't be seen and pre approved by Kara's management beforehand anyway; they knew it was coming. The reactions were over the top and you could see all the MCs and JYP look in awkward shock when she started her tantrum. Both parties are kind of at fault (Except the Jiyoung thing - that was ridiculous) but Kara could have and should have handled it better.

People are crying slut shaming but her and Kyuhyun are friends and it wasn't shaming, it was friendly jabs. You could see the look on his face that he was genuinely shocked by her reaction.

Well of course Kara fans are gonna defend them and that's fine, the netizen comments are overboard too but they're not entirely free of fault.

Dice

I don't judge circumstances by expectations. If fangirls are known for being batshit insane, I'm not going to start calling it normal just because they have kept it up for so long. If Kim Goora is an asshole, I'm not going to act like it is no longer being an asshole just because he has kept it up for so long. If a nation treats idols like face-in-the-dirt slaves meant to suck up any shit anyone throws at them with a smile, I'm not going to act like that is okay just because they have done it for a long time, especially if there is a clear sexist double standard. What you are doing is buying into complete bullshit just because it is common in Korean society. How about instead of that we look at what is a decent way of treating human beings with dignity and respect?

Even if they are at fault for some sort of sub-optimal behavior, it is just the mood of an interview, not a reason to throw so much hate for them everywhere and try to ruin their careers. Even if it is expected for some measure of people to overreact like that, it doesn't mean they deserve it. That is like saying girls deserve to be harassed for dressing a certain way just because you know some men will harass them. That is fucking absurd and the same reasoning has to be used to try and justify the netizens on this. Piling on demeaning and derogatory attacks because someone didn't comply with your every desire is out of place and only reveals what a crass and graceless person you are.

a lot of salty tears in this thread.

radio star is a variety program. kara was there to promote their album/song.

radio star is also known to ask direct questions besides fun ones, not some softball questions.

kara went to the program, therefore they should have expected as much.

why go to that kind of program and then cry and make everyone uncomfortable? especially that aegyo request, really ridiculous.

if kara wanted to go to a program that would throw them softball questions, then they should not have gone to radio star. they went to a program that is known and expected to ask the type of questions that kara would want to avoid, yet kara still went to it. now radio star is at fault? radio star is not going to change its format just because kara is whining. kara is just one out of many artists, why should radio star accommodate kara when that sort of questioning is what the audience expects from the program?

now, kara went to the program, okay. mcs ask the questions, but instead hara throws a bottle at the mcs. if EmptySpace were the editor/producer of the program, he would not edit those parts out and show it to the world. crying because someone asks you to show aegyo? throwing a tantrum in front of seniors? hara could have explained that she wants to avoid those types of questions because it hurts her or stresses her out or something, everything can be done with diplomacy. hara was glaring at the mcs, and threw a tantrum. obviously, when the mc said, "goo hara is done," he is not going to reveal something that hara did not give permission to. it was a joke and everyone understood it, but hara cried because she was angry. seriously. even the mcs were so taken aback because it was clearly said for laughs and for broadcast.

and that aegyo request, come on. just do it and get it over with. jiyoung has done it a million times, in korea and in japan.

Ignoring for a second the fact that what shows they appear on are probably not decisions they make individually on their own, I think most people here already acknowledged that they (Kara) probably could have handled the situation better. Does that make reactions like "KARA's seriously fu*king insane... If you're going to act like that on TV, go back to Japan and don't ever come back to Korea." any better? Not to me. I'm sure there's a general disdain from certain people for Radio Star and the hosts, but I personally don't put the blame entirely on them. I also don't put the blame entirely on Kara. This here was pretty tame, and they're only human. If Brandinator were to give his opinion on the matter, he'd say trying to shit all over them for something so minor implicates a lack of understanding and compassion that he just can't really wrap his head around.

Peru

That OP has some great stuff. Thanks for all the recommendations earlier too guys.

Can't get "Bubble Pop" and "abracadabra " out of my head. So catchy. :lol

What's this controversy you guys are all talking about?

/newbie

Same reason your avatar cut her hair.

Ym1r

From akp:

"Although they came to have fun, if it doesn't go as well as they hoped it would, it's normal to cry.. Isn't the human heart like that.. Although 'Radio Star's way of speech is usually like that, the guests' feelings are still the first priority."

"I think that their tears were the most honest response.. We were being harsh like we always are.. so if one was to get cursed at, we should be the ones to get it.. Not everyone can respond to our questions with wit and laughter.. They were probably things that the members had a hard time with while experiencing.. So as one of the ones who took the most active role, it is my fault.. I'm sorry ^^"

- Yoon Jong Shin of Star Radio

You guys got the apology you wanted.

Dice

[JPOP ALERT]
Anyway, I've been listening to Jasmine's new album that came out a couple weeks ago. It's really good. I didn't bother getting the singles as they were released so it's nice getting it all together.

Peru

[JPOP ALERT]
Anyway, I've been listening to Jasmine's new album that came out a couple weeks ago. It's really good. I didn't bother getting the singles as they were released so it's nice getting it all together.

Singles are deffo the best but there are so many good ones on the album that yeah.. some solid album tracks as well. Like her voice, gutsy attitude. Shame about the sales.

Top Bottom