• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

Cuddler

Weekly search on Gaon Chart and I found this interesting song and the video is nice:
소란 (SORAN) - 리코타 치즈 샐러드 (Ricotta Cheese Salad)
Can't stop watching when they move their heads lol
Since I was there I watched another MV from them, another nice song and MV:
소란 (Soran) – 살빼지 마요 (Don’t Lose Weight)
Curious enough I searched for the translation of the lyrics and...
It’s even cuter when your cheeks get chubby with some fat
Even when your mom and sister stop you, don’t bother
I’m not just saying this
I don’t care about anything
In my eyes, you’re so perfect now, you

Don’t lose weight, please stay this way
Don’t lose weight, please stay this way

Credit:princessoftea.com who credits P3ggyNguy3n @ Youtube for the translation
Wow, lol.

Another good song that I found is this:
어쿠루브 (Acourve) - 하고 싶은 말 (What I Want To Say) (Audio)

Pendulum

What is a Nak

This is believe - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_Nak_Phra_Khanong

------

Here's another angle of that Arirang interview with Sera, Hyuna, Hyemi, and Sungah.

Hyuna Instagram vid of Kyungri, Hyemi, Minha.

BX6Yx7ECMAIhzuS.png:large

------

tumblr_mvjh8jKgG71qk12q0o1_1280.jpg

------

Edit: Happy
cute
Halloween

Fafnir

Would be a lot better if Go Ara had better hair. Despite her getting a lot of flak for not being a "real" actor and comments on how she'd never live up to what Eunji did, I think shes doing great. I love Reply 1994 more than I do Reply 1997 at this point.

I watched the first 2 episodes of 1994, but it hasn't quite captured me yet unlike 1997 did right away. 1997 was way more nostalgic for me as every episode had some random prop that I could identify with, in 1994 the props seem forced and cliched. I'm waiting for more Seo Taiji fangirl because I want to know what the big deal was about Seo Taiji. I never knew why he was so popular because I always felt that he just copied American music, one example that sticks out is that he copied the Cypress Hill heavy bass and rap style.

I usually like short hair on girls, but that short cut totally transformed Go Ara. The brother relationship was kind of weird in the 1st episode laundry scene as I was kind of like, "is that how real Korean siblings act...it's kind of GoTesque..." lol

I'll probably let a few more episodes accumulate or let the series finish before I start watching again.

ramyeon

I watched the first 2 episodes of 1994, but it hasn't quite captured me yet unlike 1997 did right away. 1997 was way more nostalgic for me as every episode had some random prop that I could identify with, in 1994 the props seem forced and cliched. I'm waiting for more Seo Taiji fangirl because I want to know what the big deal was about Seo Taiji. I never knew why he was so popular because I always felt that he just copied American music, one example that sticks out is that he copied the Cypress Hill heavy bass and rap style.

I usually like short hair on girls, but that short cut totally transformed Go Ara. The brother relationship was kind of weird in the 1st episode laundry scene as I was kind of like, "is that how real Korean siblings act...it's kind of GoTesque..." lol

I'll probably let a few more episodes accumulate or let the series finish before I start watching again.
1994 was Seo Taiji and Boys, not Seo Taiji solo. The group pretty much introduced different styles of music to the country which had a pretty stagnant music industry until that point. Their songs were also full of social commentary and went places people hadn't really dared to go before then, criticising the education system, talking about reunification with North Korea etc. Their song Come Back Home was inspired by a mass amount of teens running away from home and was a call for them to return - apparently it worked. They were a music phenomenon as well as a cutural one. I think saying they jacked American styles is missing the point entirely. They most certainly took influence from them and then made it their own, oftentimes mixing in traditional Korean instruments and sensibilities into an American sound. In fact there is a huge change kpop would have sounded very different today if it weren't for groups like these setting the foundations.

Also notable to mention that YG founder and CEO Yang Hyun Suk was a member of the group. So without Seo Taiji and the Boys there would more than likely be no YG.

ryan-ts

Interesting history lesson Ramyeon, I wasn't aware of their cultural significance.

edit: Eldren, good job scaring me. We needed some more Halloween pics in this thread.

Fafnir

Yeah that's what I'm interested in. The stigma for Koreans at the time (still is?) was that they were really good at copying/counterfeiting goods like Starter jackets and Gucci handbags. Every time there are plagiarism accusations, I don't even think twice because Koreans are known for it.

My friends and I will always see him as a singer that capitalized on using American style on unwitting Koreans that had no idea the origins of his sound. It's good to know that he used it for some good, but I really want to know if this cultural icon was a brilliant musician or a poseur that got lucky.

ramyeon

Yeah that's what I'm interested in. The stigma for Koreans at the time (still is?) was that they were really good at copying/counterfeiting goods like Starter jackets and Gucci handbags. Every time there are plagiarism accusations, I don't even think twice because Koreans are known for it.

My friends and I will always see him as a singer that capitalized on using American style on unwitting Koreans that had no idea the origins of his sound. It's good to know that he used it for some good, but I really want to know if this cultural icon was a brilliant musician or a poseur that got lucky.
It's called Cultural Hybridisation. It's quite different to straight out imitation.
Interesting history lesson Ramyeon, I wasn't aware of their cultural significance.

edit: Eldren, good job scaring me. We needed some more Halloween pics in this thread.
Yeah they're extremely significant. You'd be pretty hard pressed to find any academic work about the growth of the Korean music scene that doesn't mention Seo Taiji & Boys.

ramyeon

Well imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

x4EGBju.jpg
gOT3eo1.jpg
Like I said to begin with, I'm talking about Seo Taiji & Boys, not Seo Taiji solo. Seo Taiji's solo work after the disbanding of the group is less significant than the body of work they did together.

I'm also talking about their music, not their visual style. You can't plagiarise a hair style.

Fafnir

Ok so Nan Arayo is an example from Seo Taiji and the Boys. Once Seo Taiji part starts it's all good, but wtf was the significance of the East Coast and Flava Flav parts? That screams to me as fake as hell especially when I was a kid and even now I'm wondering what the hell does East Coast and PE have to do with this song.

http://youtu.be/h3DWZijTbVY

ramyeon

Ok so Nan Arayo is an example from Seo Taiji and the Boys. Once Seo Taiji part starts it's all good, but wtf was the significance of the East Coast and Flava Flav parts? That screams to me as fake as hell especially when I was a kid and even now I'm wondering what the hell does East Coast and PE have to do with this song.

http://youtu.be/h3DWZijTbVY
It's also their debut song and hardly a good example of their matured sound, although it is pretty significant in that it's a great example of genre experimentation in a country where that was pretty much unheard of up until that point. Yes, they're taking from other cultures and imitating at first, but that's how hybridisation starts.

I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall because you seem to have made up your mind about this already.

Fafnir

It's also their debut song and hardly a good example of their matured sound, although it is pretty significant in that it's a great example of genre experimentation in a country where that was pretty much unheard of up until that point. Yes, they're taking from other cultures and imitating at first, but that's how hybridisation starts.

I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall because you seem to have made up your mind about this already.

Yeah I have made up my mind about this already since that's what I've thought since I was a kid. No matter how you try to spin it with rose tinted glasses and spouting off what you learned at a Korean university and the internet is not going to change my view on how I grew up and experienced it first hand. Thanks for your insight as it is nice to see it from another pov but it won't change mine.

ramyeon

Yeah I have made up my mind about this already since that's what I've thought since I was a kid. No matter how you try to spin it with rose tinted glasses and spouting off what you learned at a Korean university and the internet is not going to change my view on how I grew up and experienced it first hand. Thanks for your insight as it is nice to see it from another pov but it won't change mine.
Yes let's just make assumptions about my knowledge and try to discredit my opinion on the subject now ;) that's a great way to have a conversation about this.

scottnak

Hmm... so I have no idea if this tidbit of news from Japan is late to the party or it's actually new...

But it says that Nicole & Jiyoung will be leaving KARA for sure.
Despite Nicole's hopes to stay, it doesn't seem like DSP is going to allow it if she isn't staying in DSP.
And Jiyoung will be studying abroad in North America.

Leaving just Hara, Seungyeon, and Gyuri after April.

The Album on the 27th will be the last album with all 5 girls...

Fafnir

Hah, sorry dude just gotta go on what I see on GAF, but your first reply on this subject looked straight up text book or something I would read on AllKpop. I'm sure one day we'll drink some soju together but until then I'll have to agree to disagree on Seo Taiji. Please continue on about Seo Taiji and the Boys if you want as it is interesting for me at least.

ramyeon

Hah, sorry dude just gotta go on what I see on GAF, but your first reply on this subject looked straight up text book or something I would read on AllKpop. I'm sure one day we'll drink some soju together but until then I'll have to agree to disagree on Seo Taiji. Please continue on about Seo Taiji and the Boys if you want as it is interesting for me at least.
S'all good. Seo Taiji and the Boys were slightly before my time but they were one of the first groups I really got into after I discovered H.O.T back in the day - a lot of people were listing them as must-listen groups. So my opinion isn't entirely academic, but I've taken a lot of courses where I was able to write academic papers on the foundation and evolution of the Korean Wave and music, so that's why it may sound that way to you.

I mean, people don't say that stuff just for shits and giggles. I think regardless of how you feel about Seo Taiji's music and how original it was, it should be fairly difficult to deny the cultural impact they had and the lasting effect their music had on the industry as a whole in Korea. A large reason why so many parents let their kids give up high school and go to trainee companies post-Seo Taiji is because they saw how successful even a dropout could be.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO @ KIM YUNA

Charisma explosion to charisma vacuum. Dat feel... oh it hurts...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Snowboarding was pretty big back then. It was also a cultural crosspoint between east and west.

Top Bottom