• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT7| A Great Trash Leader as Always

ramyeon

EDIT: Page topper? Have some Nayoung.
Cute as. Never paid attention to IOI before now.

e3b157758abf095457193nuqaf.gif

Is it bad that I don't really give a rats ass about Black Pink?

I feel like they're gonna try to be 2NE1 2.0 and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm not really a fan of the cultural appropriation that YG does in regards to hip-hop... it feels very ham-fisted and forced.

I guess I'd rather see them start out as a proper girl group then eventually evolve into badasses instead of forcing them to start that way.

But of course, I'm only talking from what I'm seeing from the image teasers and I'd be really glad to be wrong about this. I'm just hoping they don't force the hip-hop shtick coz I definitely wouldn't be a fan immediately unless it's something mind-blowing.

Still on holiday so I'm out of the loop on most recent news, but had to chime in on this.

Whilst full details are still to be revealed, I don't see this affecting people like Victoria (she is managed independently from SM in China, has her separate projects in China from the rest of f (x)) or Tzuyu (she's Taiwanese). This is going to be more of an issue for people/groups like WJSN (a joint venture between Chinese and Korean companies), possibly Chinese members of groups not currently managed by a Chinese company if heavy restrictions are on the SK management companies (e.g. NCT Chinese subunit), T-ara (who have moved most of their attention to China), Koreans with endorsements in China (without looking it up, propably includes people like Yoona and Jessica) and all those tv shows/movies that use Korean actors or have rights to formats (e.g. Running Man).

It all seems to be centered around Korean talent and co-productions on Chinese television - seen nothing that suggests restrictions are in place for Chinese talent in Korea.

Man, I came here for outrage... not rational thought!

Kidding aside... yeah I figured as much.

Like Dice, I do wonder if this is a form of isolationism that they're wanting to enact. This and the Spratly's Islands/BS line thing issue seems to me that they're wanting to do just that.

As for the entertainment side of things, I personally don't really care lol. I'm not invested in any of the Chinese k-idols or vice versa. Though thinking about it, if this means that the original Running Man PD is forced to come back and actually take up the mantle for RM again, then I can see this as a really good thing. Otherwise, this might actually be one of the factors for RM's death. AFAIK, RM is SBS' cash cow in China but it also doesn't make that much cash in licensing the show to Dramafever or whatever legit online subbers out there.

Selane

I feel like they're gonna try to be 2NE1 2.0 and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm not really a fan of the cultural appropriation that YG does in regards to hip-hop... it feels very ham-fisted and forced.

I couldn't care less either. Typical stupid ass YG acting like one of his trash groups is god's gift to kpop solely because they're from YG. They've never had a non-lame group before and I doubt they're about to start now.

Pendulum

I.O.I "Whatta Man" teaser - Nayoung, Somi, Jieqiong, Doyeon.
8fuiokN.jpg

---

Black Pink = first YG debut (aside from the Epik High signing) I've been interested in for years (and years) tbh

---

YooA on Hit The Stage
download.jsp

Her brother will be on the same episode (dancing with Hyoyeon)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I know I don't, but I suppose I'm a notorious YG hater.

Anyways, a great mystery is being slowly revealed to me, that GFriend is actually the new GOAT. They have the markings of it, but their agency has to not fail them in the long term.

Pendulum

I.O.I "Whatta Man" teaser - Nayoung, Somi, Jieqiong, Doyeon

And now Sohye, Chungha, Yoojung
CpEuP3FUsAEoSdV.jpg

---

Apparently China's Korean entertainment ban doesn't apply to T-ara because they are booked to perform 5 songs at Bangbox Asia Music Festival in Shanghai. Queens (and benefits of being linked to the son of China's richest man)

Peru

I

I guess I'd rather see them start out as a proper girl group then eventually evolve into badasses instead of forcing them to start that way.

Eh? A girl group has to act a certain way to be a "proper" one?

I'm certainly happy that's not true. Why is starting out as 'badasses' more forced than starting out as doe-eyed puppies? The latter feels more removed from any real personality.

llehuty

The summer songs so far have been, artist wise, a repeat form last year:

Wonder Girls - I feel you | Why so lonely
D.Holic - Chewy | Color me rad
Stellar - Vibrato | Cry
9Muses - Hurt Locker | ...

Song is allriight I guess, but there is nothing memorable or unique about it. And the concept is so stupid, they have been releasing singles about heartbreak since debut and now they do a first kiss concept? They look really good, though. The Hyemi breakdwn is kind of fun, but it's just to little to late.

9MUSES A - Shh
Standout track of the mini, it's like a mature spin on Gfriends sound.

Eh? A girl group has to act a certain way to be a "proper" one?

I'm certainly happy that's not true. Why is starting out as 'badasses' more forced than starting out as doe-eyed puppies? The latter feels more removed from any real personality.

Like I said it's more to do with how YG portrays hip-hop and how it affects the artists they control.

Remember when G-Dragon fully embraced trap music and went off the deep end with his outfits? Then how Big Bang followed suit and became a trap group instead of a boy group?

That's what I don't want to see with them.

I'd rather have them develop their own image instead of riding the waves of the Harlem Shake or whatever fad comes on next.

On a different example, what I love about Kisum, HEIZE, Dean, ZICO and some other "nugus" of K-hiphop is that they developed their own image and didn't really do something stupid just to break through the mold.

Dice

4 4 4MinuteBanned

Celebrating with GFriend.

You should all love GFriend.

On a different example, what I love about Kisum, HEIZE, Dean, ZICO and some other "nugus" of K-hiphop is that they developed their own image and didn't really do something stupid just to break through the mold.
ZICO waited until after his break to do something really stupid.

4 4 4MinuteBanned

Celebrating with GFriend.

You should all love GFriend.

ZICO waited until after his break to do something really stupid.

SinB still looks like Sica to me so eh, but Sowon seems pretty cool judging from their Showtime thing so does that count?

ZICO's Tough Cookie happened coz he partnered up with Don Mills who not only is a huge try-hard, but he's also one of those people who doesn't really get the whole culture behind hip-hop.

That's also one thing that I actually don't like about these rookie k-rappers. They only see the popular, superficial and negative aspects of hip-hop then they go on and try to emulate it without truly understanding why the hell it's going on.

The best ones are those nugus who imitate Southern rap... those motherfnckers act like they've been to Atlanta or Houston, yet they've never even stepped foot in Houston's 3rd ward(basically Houston's Compton) or any ghetto neighborhood.

Dice

SinB still looks like Sica to me so eh,
What's wrong with looking like Sica? Sica is gorgeous. Though SinB's likeness to her is fading from my mind now. Watching her dance will probably help your brain recognize she is definitely not Sica, lol.

but Sowon seems pretty cool judging from their Showtime thing so does that count?
That's how I boarded the train.

Edit: Attempted murder.

What's wrong with looking like Sica? Sica is gorgeous. Though SinB's likeness to her is fading from my mind now. Watching her dance will probably help your brain recognize she is definitely not Sica, lol.

That's how I boarded the train.

Edit: Attempted murder.

Lmao I don't really have a problem with SinB looking like Sica, but I will admit that I sometimes get confused for a bit, especially when she forgets she's on camera and turns on her resting bitch face haha.

But yes, watching their latest Weekly Idol appearance I was thinking that she's Sica from an alternate universe where Sica could actually dance lol.

Ym1r

Lmao I don't really have a problem with SinB looking like Sica, but I will admit that I sometimes get confused for a bit, especially when she forgets she's on camera and turns on her resting bitch face haha.

But yes, watching their latest Weekly Idol appearance I was thinking that she's Sica from an alternate universe where Sica could actually dance lol.

SinB is really pretty.

TTy4PLp.gif

broz0rs

I was hoping Black Pink would get a reality show just like every major YG group that's ever created. Perhaps they'll get one in the future? It's such an important part of Kpop now, and it's probably the best way to start a fandom.

I was hoping Black Pink would get a reality show just like every major YG group that's ever created. Perhaps they'll get one in the future? It's such an important part of Kpop now, and it's probably the best way to start a fandom.

We need a reality show of Red Velvet.

Anybody know where to find vocals only tracks for any K-pop song?

I'm specifically looking for Suran's Paradise Go but any song would do.

Normally I'd grab it out of a Sketchbook appearance but I don't think she's supposed to be on the show anytime soon so I doubt I'll be able to take that route.

Pendulum

This is bad, but I've been struggling with telling Jennie, Jisoo and Rose apart. Let me see if I've got this right, on this D-1 pic. From left to right, Jennie, Lisa, Rose, Jisoo?

Correct.

Anybody know where to find vocals only tracks for any K-pop song?

I'm specifically looking for Suran's Paradise Go but any song would do.

Normally I'd grab it out of a Sketchbook appearance but I don't think she's supposed to be on the show anytime soon so I doubt I'll be able to take that route.

If you find a source, please let me know. Still looking for vocal tracks for the Reboot album.

llehuty

That's a really strong debut. I'm not that into the rap focus, but it's enjoyable anyway. I guess, we can also declare 2NE1 unofficially dead.

Dice

Teaching the kids to use the same vocal affectations as their sunbaes makes it seem like less of a personal style (could be argued for CL) and more like really socially awkward racial-perspective mimicry, and that will definitely come out all the more strongly when they come off the stage and act and speak like perfectly common Korean girls. As always with YG, this will make such a stark contrast between reality and self-sold persona that it will make them come off arrogant and fake, which may or may not be true of them individually but is definitely company culture they'll be pushed to foster in themselves.

It's a hard thing to call out because in some way "fake it till you make it" is at the heart of all entertainment performance, but something about the way YG does it is essentially more disconnected from humility and realism about the innately contrived nature of performance. This could be forgivable if I thought the music was innovative, but while the songs are close to sounding fresh they still don't really make something new. Again, it's hard to call out YG on freshness when Brave Bros is giving Stellar songs that sound like old After School, but damnit YG stuff (or maybe it's just Teddy's touch?) just feels stale in general (BB is still fun).

They seem to rely more on overt sexuality to impress than 2NE1 (at least how they started) rather than other qualities, and I wonder if that is just a blind following of trends with no mind for what it may communicate. Not that I am inherently against sexuality or anything, but this seems more like kids taught to act in a particular way rather than mindful ladies who are fully owning everything they're doing, as it was with 2NE1. In a spirit of fairness I might be tempted to feel it is unfair to compare them to 2NE1 like this, but if that isn't something YG wanted they should have been a hell of a lot more creative with them.

TL;DR I'm still generally a YG-anti

Top Bottom