• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT7| A Great Trash Leader as Always

ultra7k

That sure is a cover of a generic summer song featuring Skull and Haha.

tumblr_ob6qdp0zjT1vp63xqo1_r1_500.gif

I like the section beginning at 2:57 where the instrumental becomes sort of muffled and distant. The rest of it's OK. Maybe it'll be a grower?

Late to the party but listening to this was like it was 2000 again. I rather like it. Gives me the summer feels.

For those that don't know the original version:

Papaya - 내 얘길 들어봐

Not really all that different. Wonder if this MV would be banned nowadays with all that Tetris happening.

Pendulum

You need to put it in a table 4minute bot -style.

Black Pink got a hellavu lot of Views on YT this week; Hyuna got less

Black Pink has seen explosive growth on YouTube

yC6uFfA.png

What's behind the explosive growth?
이제 달려야지 뭘 어떡해
난 철 없어 겁 없어 Man
Middle finger up, F U pay me
90s baby, I pump up the jam
달려봐 달려봐 오빠야 LAMBO
오늘은 너와 나 젊음을 GAMBLE
감히 날 막지마 혹시나 누가 날 막아도
I’m gonna go brrrr RAMBO (Lisa, August 2016)

f84QVNL.jpg

I can't get over how Blackpink is so overtly 2NE1. The songs being just like 2NE1 is fine but the way the members sing in literally the exact same way and have the same mannerisms as 2NE1 is too much and its all I can think about when I listen to them.

roaSone

I can't get over how Blackpink is so overtly 2NE1. The songs being just like 2NE1 is fine but the way the members sing in literally the exact same way and have the same mannerisms as 2NE1 is too much and its all I can think about when I listen to them.
Pretty much my feeling overall. YG is always debuting 'upgraded copies' of their pillars.

LMAO at the graphs!

Anyway, after about a day of having both songs in my playlist, I have to say I'm fncking shameless and I'm highly enjoying both songs from Black Pink lol.

A few things still bother me, such as the anti-chorus in Whistle and the "hey boy" start is fncking cheese I actually removed it. Boombayah on the other hand is kind of a jam actually except for the "hululululu" crap on the chorus. It's funny coz I used to do that noise a lot as my HS had an American Indian as a mascot but hearing it on this song bothers me for some reason lol.

I guess the main thing in this whole conversation is that aforementioned 'authenticity', and that this genre always struggles with. It doesn't help that hip-hop, it's so vital.

Yeah, the thing with hip-hop is that it has strict ties to the culture/life of the rapper. So when something manufactured like K-Pop tries to embrace and imitate the art form it comes off as ham-fisted, forced and unauthentic.

I'm not saying that K-Pop rappers should be coming out of the ghettos of Korea but it's kinda hard to accept how somebody can directly tie themselves to the genre when the hardest situation they've ever faced is when their label forced them to only eat a cup of rice and a banana. It's a hard situation for sure, but it's not something you can use to tag yourself to hip-hop especially when you brought yourself to that situation in the first place(by being a trainee).

That said, it is a little hard to define what is authentic to hip-hop and I honestly don't even think somebody can ever give a proper definition of the genre.

Hokuten

Neo Member
Blackpink is on point. Whistle definitely worth more listens than Boombayah.

They sound like 2NE1, but this is what I expect of YG. So, no surprises. Just some good tunes.

isuzu

I just don't see 2ne1 in blackpink at all. The songs? sure. It's Teddy. Maybe I'm just in too deep into the blackjack hole.

Pendulum

I think it's interesting to note that Black Pink has broken the debut MV view count record with one song (Boombayah) while sitting at the top of the charts with another debut song (Whistle).

---

Still catching up on stuff after being away, but I couldn't help but be spoiled on an upcoming Unpretty Rapstar 3 episode
Cathy battles 5 others (including previous contestant Ash-B) for 1 of the 2 additional spots.

Loci

Zico? Really?

I hope she stays virgin til marriage or something.

Seolhyun ㅠㅡㅠ 안돼

YGs group is kinda underwhelming. I expected something way more mature since they're not even that young. Songs are alright I guess. Maybe they are growers.

IOI tho. How can Chungha be so hot, guys. She's got everything.
Everyone in that group is stupidly pretty, tho. However I preferred the English demo of the song more.

Kazzy

'Whistle' is good, and I can definitely see myself appreciating more as time goes on. 'Boombayah' is probably the inverse of this though - incredibly catchy opening, and then just sort of crumbles when it gets to the chorus. Also, that 'hard' image isn't helped by those goofy-ass DDR dance moves.

haha you can see bits of the foliage the bastard photographer was hiding behind from.

Haha, it's pretty sad that these are times when I wish I could read Korean fluently. GIMME THE SCOOPS!
...and the salt. I want to hear the cries of the raging fanboys.

Good thing I didn't invest anything into AOA lol.

Does anybody know when the dating ban ends for Twice?

*airplanesunset.jpg*

No No Eul

Nah.

Jennie & Jisoo >

Proof (for Jisoo at least):

kim-jisoo.jpg

That's the type of girl you wife and never let go.

That's the best part tho. That, and the occasional aegyo-laden 'Oppa!' thrown into the chorus. I think both elements provide a really fun contrast with the generally swag-tastic tone of the rest of the song.

I agree with the "Oppa!" part, the "hulululu" just doesn't fit imo. But it's a minor issue that I don't really mind it that much lol.

Are your rankings solely based on your preference of their looks? I just don't see how Lisa's talent and charisma can be denied. Interesting.

Nope, so lemme make it a game, here's a list of my current top 10... they all share a similar trait besides good looks, I wanna see if somebody can figure it out.

It's in no order btw coz I'd be here for hours trying to sort it out lol.

1. Lee Sung-kyung
2. Sojung - Ladies' Code
3. Sunmi
4. Yenny
5. Wendy
6. Lim Kim
7. Suran
8. HEIZE
9. Ailee
10. Solar

It's pretty easy to figure out right?

And no, it does not have anything to do with their names starting at S. It just so happens that half of the names on there start with S. But I will say, it's kind of a hint if you haven't figured it out yet.

ikuze

I really like Blackpink. Especially after the death of 4minute and 2NE1. I had to give those 2 songs a few listens before they got stuck, but now I can't stop listening. I hope to see some more releases in the near future. After all the hype, releasing only 2 songs is a bit of a letdown.

#teamjennie

ultra7k

Nope, so lemme make it a game, here's a list of my current top 10... they all share a similar trait besides good looks, I wanna see if somebody can figure it out.

It's in no order btw coz I'd be here for hours trying to sort it out lol.

1. Lee Sung-kyung
2. Sojung - Ladies' Code
3. Sunmi
4. Yenny
5. Wendy
6. Lim Kim
7. Suran
8. HEIZE
9. Ailee
10. Solar

It's pretty easy to figure out right?

And no, it does not have anything to do with their names starting at S. It just so happens that half of the names on there start with S. But I will say, it's kind of a hint if you haven't figured it out yet.

Shot in the dark, but is it due to their noses?

Lmao my bad, lemme clarify, it's actually not a physical trait.

It's a skill/talent/ability that they all can do really really well.

It might actually seem shallow to most people, but any girl who can do it is automatically is a 7/10 on my ratings lol.

Shot in the dark, but is it due to their noses?

Nah, I have a nose complex myself lolol.

Nope but I will say that the eyes are the first thing that really grab me.

It's the exact reason why I'd rate Seolhyun a 8.5/10 despite the fact that she's hotter than the sun.

Skin? Oh god you want to wear their skin

Man I ain't Dokish lol.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Jennie does deserve a shoutout tho. I like her soft tone singing voice and her rapping is alright, and she's cute.
Some have said she's like a rapper Naeun.

vanty

I guess I haven't posted yet.

Blackpink seems pretty great. I was worried the old guy would make a group of four CLs since he loves her so hard but it's a group with no CLs so that's great.

I really like both songs, especially after repeated listens.

And Jennie's cutesy rapping is the best, the total opposite of the cringey CL/4minute tryhard toughness stuff.

When do they start TV performances?

Yep, Jennie reminds me a lot of Kisum actually. Only difference is that Jennie's cuter but Kisum's the better rapper lol.

I'd love to see Black Pink on Weekly Idol. From the BTS clips they've posted, they seem like normal people instead of the try-hardiness that YG loves to portray. I'd probably stan them if they're as normal as GFriend haha.

RedEther

Blackpink seems pretty great. I was worried the old guy would make a group of four CLs since he loves her so hard but it's a group with no CLs so that's great.

And Jennie's cutesy rapping is the best, the total opposite of the cringey CL/4minute tryhard toughness stuff.

On the 14th starting with inkigayo

Kazzy

This is very true, but also kind of all depends on the context, not to mention the person. People like CL are so super try-hard, constantly trying to make their shtick stick, it's cringe-inducing stuff.

People like Jessi I can give or take, because it comes across as more goofy and self-aware (at least in my eyes).

Yeah, the thing with hip-hop is that it has strict ties to the culture/life of the rapper. So when something manufactured like K-Pop tries to embrace and imitate the art form it comes off as ham-fisted, forced and unauthentic.

I'm not saying that K-Pop rappers should be coming out of the ghettos of Korea but it's kinda hard to accept how somebody can directly tie themselves to the genre when the hardest situation they've ever faced is when their label forced them to only eat a cup of rice and a banana. It's a hard situation for sure, but it's not something you can use to tag yourself to hip-hop especially when you brought yourself to that situation in the first place(by being a trainee).

That said, it is a little hard to define what is authentic to hip-hop and I honestly don't even think somebody can ever give a proper definition of the genre.

It probably helps when your audience can't clearly say you flip-flop between genres at the drop of a hat, and not very convincingly. So it's not even the 'realness' of these aforementioned acts, but rather their own conviction towards a particular style, rather than brands or a style-guide.

-------------------

And Black Pink might actually be passing my litmus test, which basically boils down to "Do I like them enough to remember their names? Yes/No?"

Lisa all day, every day. It's not even a question at this point!

Top Bottom