• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamala Khan and Marvel urge you to get out and vote in Ms. Marvel #13 (preview).

Status
Not open for further replies.

hampig

Seems like a pretty strange, forced focus for a superhero comic. Weirdly though it makes me want to read Ms.Marvel. Is it good?

I can see Donald trump going on a tirade on how Kamala won't even say the word radical Islam. Hope comics work on the comic readers who don't vote. Have to echo Kamala is still great, know enough Muslim friends daughter who love to dress as her.

Seems like a pretty strange, forced focus for a superhero comic. Weirdly though it makes me want to read Ms.Marvel. Is it good?

Yeah, one of Marvel's best books/characters in years. If you choose to read her, know that her current book is volume 2 because it reset at #1 about a year ago like most Marvel books.

I can see Donald trump going on a tirade on how Kamala won't even say the word radical Islam. Hope comics work on the comic readers who don't vote. Have to echo Kamala is still great, know enough Muslim friends daughter who love to dress as her.
He got millions of dollars from the Perlmutters. He doesn't care about a comic(didn't even care when he was portrayed as a MODOK).

The writer of Ms. Marvel was really sad when she heard about the donations.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Kamala is Marvel's best young hero since Spider-Man and it ain't even close. She better be in the MCU before 2020. I'll take even a cameo or easter egg.
I can guarantee you Kamala will make a cameo in the Captain Marvel movie
which she should be starring in

Ploid 3.0

Voting should be an event and easy. We have the technology, and people that want to obstruct voters should be removed from office.

Not

Banned
I agree with the message, but it felt pretty contrived to me.

Meh, feel kind of mixed on this.

At least we're doing this now instead of

Betty%2Band%2BVeronica%2Bdrugs%2B1%2B(413x640).jpg

I didn't know it was against the law to not let me stand in line to vote.

Learn something new, I already mailed to vote but I would have gone to wait in line.

CazTGG

Radical Islamic terrorist Kamala Khan is clearly trying to rig the vote against me on November 28th. Shows how much law and order we lost under Barack Obama. Sad!

I honestly can't help but appreciate the attempt to get people to vote, even if the actual election will be long over before it hits the rack.

Ms. Marvel sure is being drawn good these days

She's 16, for the record.

I hope that preview isn't just on Newsarama's built-in viewer. Hell, they should make this part a free digital book.

Kamala is definitely my favorite new Marvel character since... I don't know? Kitty Pryde?

Spencer's books, particularly Sam's, are already hitting that Secret Empire vibe, and I assume it's only going to get bigger.

god damn, really?

My sister's a huge Kitty Pryde fangirl and she'd say the same thing. She LOVES Kamala now.

hamchan

Gosh why the heck is the American election in a Tuesday when most people really are actually working and might not have time? Why not on a Saturday?

It's okay. It was good. But a black hole named Civil War II spawned and it sucked all the fun out of the title (and everything else).

Brakke

Banned
Gosh why the heck is the American election in a Tuesday when most people really are actually working and might not have time? Why not on a Saturday?

This isn't some big secret:

In 1845, the United States was largely an agrarian society. Farmers often needed a full day to travel by horse-drawn vehicles to the county seat to vote. Tuesday was established as election day because it did not interfere with the Biblical Sabbath or with market day, which was on Wednesday in many towns.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election_Day_(United_States)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Being in the marvel world, I would be far less inclined to vote.

I mean people still live in NYC in that universe so factoring in the chance your reps are sleeper agents or malovent gods or sociopaths is probably not that hard. They do way more questionable things.

JC Lately

Dammit lol. Also continuous booo to Carol getting a movie over Ms. Marvel.

Gotta have Captain Marvel before you can introduce her acended fangirl.

Thats not a knock on Kamala, btw, just part of her origin story. If anything good came out of Civil War 2, it's that Kamala has finally outgrown her hero worship of Carol.

MikeMyers

I'd take a Bolly/Lollywood film lol.

I'm gonna buy it. What is the bloke on the ground doing in the last scene though? Looks like he's trying to look up her skirt/shirt.

I never realised until now how much I want a Bollywood Ms. Marvel film.

CazTGG

You gotta set up the inspiration first dude.

I don't buy that you couldn't bring her to the big screen with, say, Kamala being inspired to join the Avengers or engage in her own acts of heroism after seeing Iron Man or Captain America save the world several times in place of Carol, they don't have to follow the comics point for point in terms of who inspires her (i.e. Age of Ultron didn't need to have Hank Pym create Ultron like he did in the comics), what matters is how they show why that hero was so inspirational to them at first and how she forms her own identity over time.

Either way, they have no excuse not to bring her now that Carol is getting her own movie.

EDIT: Hey, look who's here!

MikeMyers

now, I'm not an expert on Bollywood films, but somehow it doesn't seem very likely to me that India of all places would make a movie about a Muslim superhero
A lot of the top stars in Bollywood are actually Muslim. I think what might be an elephant in the room is her being Pakistani though, given tensions between India & Pakistan.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Why does she not speak out against Trump the man that is anti Muslim, anti brown, anti women rights? Grow some nuts marvel

GeoNeo

I disagree.
now, I'm not an expert on Bollywood films, but somehow it doesn't seem very likely to me that India of all places would make a movie about a Muslim superhero

There are Bollywood movies where the hero is Muslim.

Most Bollywood movies might as well be superhero movies with the crazy cool shit they can do. 😂😂😂

KRod-57

Banned
PYBp5Nq.jpg

I mean what the hell, the dude in the top left image has pizza hanging out of his mouth. He's not even holding it up with his hands or anything, it's just hanging out of his mouth.

I'm sorry, I couldn't look past this

PBalfredo

Kamala is Marvel's best young hero since Spider-Man and it ain't even close. She better be in the MCU before 2020. I'll take even a cameo or easter egg.
Unfortunately for Kamala, stretchy powers in live action either ends up looking super corny, or kinda grotesque. But either way, it's an expensive effect. Almost makes me wish she had a different power set.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Unfortunately for Kamala, stretchy powers in live action either ends up looking super corny, or kinda grotesque. But either way, it's an expensive effect. Almost makes me wish she had a different power set.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

5230287-7771822115-tumbl.gif

the current Ms Marvel isn't even just for Muslims or a female demographic

quite honestly it is been awhile since I saw a new comic book hero gain such traction

some assumed it was a simple fad but in reality she is becoming a staple for tons of individuals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom