• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

test_account said:
..., but is the DS3 controller much difference from the older SixAxis controller when it comes to the movement of the analoge sticks?
I don't think the difference between ds3 and 6axis is staggering. It's possible the perceived unstability is the result of years of strong aim assist in other fps's. I dont think the controller is the issue, it's probably a matter of getting used to the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Timan said:
Uh, I just got my copy and it doesn't have Coop/Local MP? Not even split screen :(
I think most of us knew this going in, but the lack of CO-OP is still highly disappointing. The firefights in this game simply beg for CO-OP play.

I can understand why splitscreen was not implemented, however, as it would probably require a drop in visual quality. The post processing in the game seems like it would be extremely demanding in split screen and removing it would kill the atmosphere they were trying to setup.

test_account

XP-39C²
Fistwell said:
I don't think the difference between ds3 and 6axis is staggering. It's possible the perceived unstability is the result of years of strong aim assist in other fps's. I dont think the controller is the issue, it's probably a matter of getting used to the game.
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :) I dont own a DS3 controller myself, so i dont have too much experience with it, but my sister has a DS3 controller. I guess i could borrow it from her just to see if it will improve my aiming or not.

Ye, that might be as you say, Killzone 2 doesnt seem have any aim assist, so maybe this is why i have abit trouble aiming sometimes. In the multiplayer i have somewhere around 1:1 in kill/death ratio, so i am able to get some kills at least :) I guess i will just keep on playing the game and hopefully i will get more and more used to the controls in the game :)

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I don't fucking believe this. It wasn't in the mail today.

Fuck it, I'm just going to buy it locally then return my Play.com one, whenever Royal Mail decide it should arrive.

F#A#Oo

Banned
industrian said:
I don't fucking believe this. It wasn't in the mail today.

Fuck it, I'm just going to buy it locally then return my Play.com one, whenever Royal Mail decide it should arrive.

Did you order off of Play.com? If so...you should know better. :D

Rikyfree

dark10x said:
I think most of us knew this going in, but the lack of CO-OP is still highly disappointing. The firefights in this game simply beg for CO-OP play.

I can understand why splitscreen was not implemented, however, as it would probably require a drop in visual quality. The post processing in the game seems like it would be extremely demanding in split screen and removing it would kill the atmosphere they were trying to setup.
We can hope for online co op. Still really doubtful though.

Baker

Banned
What the fuck

Hello from Amazon.com.

We're writing about the order you placed on February 10 2009 08:19 PST (Order# xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

Delivery of your package has been delayed due to extreme weather conditions or an unforeseen natural event. UPS will deliver the package as soon as possible. We apologize for this unavoidable delay and appreciate your patience. The items listed below are included in this shipment (Tracking Id 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'):

"Killzone 2"

I don't know where the hell they shipped it from, but there isn't "extreme" weather anywhere around here.

Edit: According to the tracking info, it is in Galesburg (40 minutes away). It's 40 degrees outside so I really don't understand wtf is going on.

andycapps

test_account said:
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :) I dont own a DS3 controller myself, so i dont have too much experience with it, but my sister has a DS3 controller. I guess i could borrow it from her just to see if it will improve my aiming or not.

Ye, that might be as you say, Killzone 2 doesnt seem have any aim assist, so maybe this is why i have abit trouble aiming sometimes. In the multiplayer i have somewhere around 1:1 in kill/death ratio, so i am able to get some kills at least :) I guess i will just keep on playing the game and hopefully i will get more and more used to the controls in the game :)

I don't think the difference in the DS3 and Sixaxis is THAT much, but it is definitely a much finer controller. The analog sticks seem to have less dead zone, click in much easier, and the weight of it does seem to feel a little better in the hands. If the vibration is annoying to you, like it is to my wife, just turn it off.

industrian

F#A#Oo said:
Did you order off of Play.com? If so...you should know better. :D

The price was the cheapest around, and everything I order from them usually arrive within 3 days of dispatch. Are you going to make a similar comment if I buy it locally at Asda instead of Tesco?

test_account

XP-39C²
andycapps said:
I don't think the difference in the DS3 and Sixaxis is THAT much, but it is definitely a much finer controller. The analog sticks seem to have less dead zone, click in much easier, and the weight of it does seem to feel a little better in the hands. If the vibration is annoying to you, like it is to my wife, just turn it off.
If there are less dead zone on the DS3 controller, maybe this will make it abit easier for me to aim in Killzone 2? Now i really have to try a DS3 controller :) Thanks for the info! :)

EDIT: I dont mind the vibration in the controller, but i am fine without the vibration as well. It is good to hear that i can turn it off if i want too =) Thanks again for the info! :)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
industrian said:
The price was the cheapest around, and everything I order from them usually arrive within 3 days of dispatch. Are you going to make a similar comment if I buy it locally at Asda instead of Tesco?
Cheapest != Good ·_·

Also guys i have an idea,stop playing until i get the game.... guys? Hey guys!? Stop having fun!! :lol

andycapps

test_account said:
If there are less dead zone on the DS3 controller, maybe this will make it abit easier for me to aim in Killzone 2? Now i really have to try a DS3 controller :) Thanks for the info! :)

EDIT: I dont mind the vibration in the controller, but i am fine without the vibration as well. It is good to hear that i can turn it off if i want too =) Thanks again for the info! :)

No problem, glad to help! I personally think it's a perfect controller for me. I'm very used to the Dualshock style controllers, and this just seems like the ultimate refinement to me. Plus, the concave triggers that are coming in the mail today will make it even better. :D

Eighthours

spwolf said:
no you are not getting it, they are making it tactical by limiting it to your own squad and not open mic. It was purposly made that way.

How is it "more tactical" to only make it possible for 4 people to communicate together in a team game with 16 players on each side? It simply isn't. It was "purposely made that way" presumably because of the potential bandwidth hit with open comms.

A solution that keeps the private squad comms but allows you to press "up" on the d-pad to talk to the entire team, INCREASES the tactical options available while solving all of the problems that open comms lead to.

industrian

Fersis said:
Cheapest != Good ·_·

Read the rest of the sentence before replying next time. It was dispatched on Tuesday, and 3 days after Tuesday is Friday (in case you don't know). Which means that it should have arrived today, meaning my post office is at fault.

andycapps

Eighthours said:
How is it "more tactical" to only make it possible for 4 people to communicate together in a team game with 16 players on each side? It simply isn't. It was "purposely made that way" presumably because of the potential bandwidth hit with open comms.

A solution that keeps the private squad comms but allows you to press "up" on the d-pad to talk to the entire team, INCREASES the tactical options available while solving all of the problems that open comms lead to.

So you mean I have to stop moving by taking my hand off the left analog stick to talk to my team using the up button on the d-pad? I'd be a sitting duck then.

industrian

What the fuck. I spoke too soon:

rjjhx0.jpg

Royal Mail am redeemed!

Baker

Banned
Applesauce said:
Have any Amazon customers received their copy today, or are all of you getting royally fucked?

Royally fucked.

I'll just hit up Kmart/Gamestop/Walmart over lunch, so hopefully there won't be a problem.

andycapps

Applesauce said:
Have any Amazon customers received their copy today, or are all of you getting royally fucked?

Being delivered by UPS today. Hopefully by the time I get home around 5:30 EST. If not, it'll give me time to get my headset charged up for tonight. :D

Mik2121

Awww... game froze on me after an incredible action-packed multiplayer match and...

*checks*

it didn't save my points (got 88 from that match)

Ouch :'(

Or maybe once I finish the next online game it updates..

industrian

This has probably already been said about a billion times, but that introduction movie is fucking breathtaking.

I've been on a media blackout, sue me. :p

smik

ok....ok...oo..kay,

i want to be quick so i can sneak another session in while the baby is asleep :p

Simply put, Killzone 2 just blew my mind today, i just cant believe what a total package this game has become to me, it has everything that i could ever want and more some

Literally jaw dropping graphics,absolute killer campaign mode and last but not least...the multiplayer, how funking awesome is this? wow this is very addicting, i get caught up alot in the immersion of the battle and how they implement the 32 player onslaughts without much clutter

the amount of detail in multiplayer with modes,badges and the constant leveling up system just makes this game full featured, also the full clan support is nice and im really excited to see if the tournaments hits off

Initially didnt have high hopes for this but im happy i actually shell out the cash and tried it, this is Just want my PS3 needed after months of neglecting after MGS4, this is going to keep me away from my xbox360 (thank god)

Already Early on i can tell this will be in my PS3 tray for a very very long time, sorry for the excitement Gaft its been a long time when i been really wowed by a game...

wow, ive said wow alot today....

PS3 killer APP for me has Arrived (runs from the MGS4 cult)

Sean

Banned
Applesauce said:

My Amazon order shipped last night and it's just a town away from me now (out for delivery). Should arrive within the next few hours.

KZObsessed

^^ completely agree smik, the multiplayer is just insane. Every match I'm in awe of the detail and the size/content of the maps, they're so... dense. The kills are so satisfying and the whole 20-30 minute game is like one massive long adrenaline shot.

Applesauce said:

Last update was an origin scan 1:23AM this morning; no updates for my city and it's not out for delivery. Still says on time for delivery today though.

lupinko

I almost got it yesterday, the clerk at The Source @ CC was going to sell it to me, but his coworker told him about the street date, and then his manager said no. =/

I'll get it today, so no harm really.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
andycapps said:
Being delivered by UPS today. Hopefully by the time I get home around 5:30 EST. If not, it'll give me time to get my headset charged up for tonight. :D

Do you have Amazon Prime? Back when I had it that seemed the only way they were consistent with release day shipping, and when I didn't they always fucked me. Nowdays I just play it safe with a game I want on day 1 and go to a local retailer during lunch.

Wal Mart had several copies on my way in today, and they had Shiner Bock on sale too. It's like the Gods are smiling on me today.

smik

FFObsessed said:
^^ completely agree smik, the multiplayer is just insane. Every match I'm in awe of the detail and the size/content of the maps, they're so... dense. The kills are so satisfying and the whole 20-30 minute game is like one massive long adrenaline shot.

how intense is the warzone games, they last for 20 minutes and its all actioned packed even on the bigger levels, i just love it.

then as soon as thats finished i just cruise on to the next game and map....awesome

yeah i forgot to mention the amount of variety of modes a single map goes through, its a very nice change of online atmosphere

edit

also forgot to mention games are hosted on dedicated servers with minimal lag

Ashour

Rikyfree said:
We can hope for online co op. Still really doubtful though.

There is only 2 places in the game with no one by your side, if they can figure these places out they could make the other player play with whoever is next to the main player through online co-op.

but all that time and no co-op is too bad it's one of 2 things that I think the game needs to be that much better (the other being an indicator which tells you where's that grenade near you)

Top Bottom