• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
i reserve the right to amend any of these opinions as the game goes on, but a mission into the single player and a brief play around with the multiplayer (well, with bots) KZ2 is the real deal.
Honestly, if you're enjoying it at this stage, I think you will end up loving it by the end. I actually wasn't that impressed with the game at first, to be honest (outside of visuals), but it really comes into its own as you progress. The level design and scenarios all become much more engaging as you progress. The first 1/3 of the game is good, but the other 2/3 of it is truly AAA (IMO, at least).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
BeeDog said:
Not even needed, load times are not that bad at all, and the game boots up fast to boot (pun intended).

but it's fucking funny no ? Uncharted and Killzone 2 the best games graphically and technically on PS3 and the more advanced this gen don't need it , well some shit want 5GB ..then also give you load times and shitty textures .

kinky

Sony need to send some of this magic to 3rd party and their SCEJ studios .

F#A#Oo

Banned
industrian said:
The price was the cheapest around, and everything I order from them usually arrive within 3 days of dispatch. Are you going to make a similar comment if I buy it locally at Asda instead of Tesco?

No. But for you to expect Play.com of all internet companies to deliver on day of release is very naive.

Also Play.com were not the cheapest. ShopTo for £29.99 and they send it special delivery and 1 day early.

andycapps

Totobeni said:
but it's fucking funny no ? Uncharted and Killzone 2 the best games graphically and technically on PS3 and the more advanced this gen don't need it , well some shit want 5GB ..then also give you load times and shitty textures .

kinky

Sony need to send some of this magic to 3rd party and their SCEJ studios .

wat

BeeDog said:
Not even needed, load times are not that bad at all, and the game boots up fast to boot (pun intended).

Some folks install their games so that the laser doesn't wear out from all that loading. It's not always about load times : )

M3Freak

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
I got it. Yay!

Got to the Target at 8:10 this morning. Snagged the second-to-last copy they had in stock.

Duuuuuuuuuuude, see you online tonight. I won't be able to join the old gang online until at least 11:00 p.m. I need to play some single player, and that won't happen until 10:00 p.m.

Anyway, I hope the good 'ol times are back.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Freedom = $1.05 said:
Some folks install their games so that the laser doesn't wear out from all that loading. It's not always about load times : )

Very true...when NXE came out the best thing was installs...

I mean Fable 2 pre-NXE and post-NXE is like WOW! :lol there was time I thought Fable 2 was made to destroy my laser...:lol

Aeon712

M3Freak said:
Duuuuuuuuuuude, see you online tonight. I won't be able to join the old gang online until at least 11:00 p.m. I need to play some single player, and that won't happen until 10:00 p.m.

Anyway, I hope the good 'ol times are back.
I don't think I'll be playing with you guys tonight, played for like 10hrs yesterday though.

dark10x said:
Honestly, if you're enjoying it at this stage, I think you will end up loving it by the end. I actually wasn't that impressed with the game at first, to be honest (outside of visuals), but it really comes into its own as you progress. The level design and scenarios all become much more engaging as you progress. The first 1/3 of the game is good, but the other 2/3 of it is truly AAA (IMO, at least).
well that's good to hear. i mean at this stage the main thing it has going for it is unsurpassed sense of immersion. that's a combination of a lot of things that you could probably reduce down to 'polish' but the fact that i feel 'there' more than i have with any other game more than makes up for the fact that so far the level design (from a gameplay perspective) and scenarios have been nothing special. visuals are only a part of it.

if things start to get more interesting as things go on, even better.

Cruzader

Banned
DSC01368-1.jpg

M3Freak

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Push to chat is cumbersome and hinders communication.

R:FoM did it best. Go in as a party, everyone moves over to one of pre-determined squads, and viola, open chat for all. We only had to use the "push-to-talk" when we would break into separate squads depending on what each squad was trying to do.

M3Freak

Banned
Aeon712 said:
I don't think I'll be playing with you guys tonight, played for like 10hrs yesterday though.

Holy shit. All online, or a mix of single player/multi?

You went from "meh" to "K2 is in ma veeeeeeiiiiiiiinnnnsssssssss!" pretty fast. :)

We'll catch up on the weekend, I'm sure. We'll need to figure out clan nights again. Maybe use the same ones we did for R:FoM.

Esch

Banned
Dear god guys. What a great game. I expected GG to be vindicated but I didn't expect this level of quality. I'm really happy, not just because this is a good game. I'm happy that the playstation fanbase finally has a truly great exclusive FPS franchise under it's belt too. I don't have enough good things to say about this game. Congratulations Sony, you guys really delivered this time.

Cruzader

Banned
Hey im gonna check my kz.com profile...if I didnt get my US east clan invite, im gonna start killing any GAFer i see online >:|

Maggot9

Banned
I bought it this morning before class, played one Skirmish match, then rushed to class:lol

It's awesome from what I played. Even on the default difficulty (recruit), the bots were doing some amazing things. Sniping me while I was running for cover, throwing nades every so often, it was surprising to see.

I'll be picking up my copy today

One quick question:

Did they ever add a toggle option for crouch/cover in the Single-player?

Thanks again

Cesar

Banned
Question: Does the trophy system work like in Uncharted? For example, there's a trophy for killing 75 helghasts with a knife. Can you knife some, get yourself killed and knife some again until it adds up to 75?

Is it just me or does this game feel so 1 month ago even though it's just coming out today?

(This is by no means a criticism of the game's quality)

LCfiner

polyh3dron said:
Is it just me or does this game feel so 1 month ago even though it's just coming out today?

yeah, it's weird that Sony wanted all the reviews come out so early.

still, the time is now and I'm picking up my copy after work. I stayed out of most KZ threads till now so I shouldn't be spoiled for anything major, AFAIK.

polyh3dron said:

If your heavy into podcasts, keeping up with the scene, press and all that, than yeah, I can definitely see how you would be a bit fatigued.

Kind of the same thing happened with Street Fighter IV

swoon

man this work day is going by pretty slow and to make matters worse my boss just left and it's just me in the office.

Aeon712

M3Freak said:
Holy shit. All online, or a mix of single player/multi?

You went from "meh" to "K2 is in ma veeeeeeiiiiiiiinnnnsssssssss!" pretty fast. :)

We'll catch up on the weekend, I'm sure. We'll need to figure out clan nights again. Maybe use the same ones we did for R:FoM.
A mix of both, the online matches run like 20-30 min. They're so fun I didn't realize like 4hrs had passed :lol. I can officially say I've been Killzowned.

OMG I wanna play tonight, thinking of taking my PS3 where I have to go and seeing if someone is nice enough to share their wireless signal with me >_<.

thaOwner

Dax01 said:
Got a question: I'm seventeen, and M is 17+, so will I be able to buy this on my own?
If you know someone who is older than you, go with him or better yet, let him buy it for you. Some stores will not
permit you to purchase since you aren't over 18. It happened to me at CC once and also at EB games a when I was younger.

swoon said:
man this work day is going by pretty slow and to make matters worse my boss just left and it's just me in the office.

Just fuck up the office (wear plastic gloves), leave and tell your boss you were attacked after he left.

At least you're getting it though, I don't have any money to spare at the moment after paying cell phone, grocery, gas, and credit line fees =(

college + debt = bad. And I want to play this with you guys SO FUCKING BAD. maybe I'll go donate plasma or something.

careksims

I'm expect to go in fresh. Never really seen any of the cut scenes or even the opening movie. After playing that demo over and over, I can finally get past that part without it fading out! Finally! Finally!

Eighthours

andycapps said:
So you mean I have to stop moving by taking my hand off the left analog stick to talk to my team using the up button on the d-pad? I'd be a sitting duck then.

You'd be a sitting duck for the half-second it takes you to move your thumb from the stick to the D-pad and back again. Which is far better than the tactical situation for your team when you can see something about to happen, or see a way to achieve your objective, but aren't able to tell anyone about it other than the three guys in your squad.

Barso

Banned
Absolutely loving it!
And to think the online multi player is free.Also the maps are huge.
Found a few bugs like when rico and the woman are talking on the ship in the intro, I walked away then came back and there mouths were moving but no speech.
Anyway the PS3 deserves this game and sony deserve the rewards for funding it with money and time.
Only problem is when I acces killzone.com on the title screen it needs the flash updated and when I try to sign in to the site the sign in tab freezes.

polyh3dron said:

i didn't read any of the reviews, so personally... no... but i do still wonder why they did that.

poweld

Should I ditch work early today? It's 55 degrees out, sunny, and KZ2 will get to my apt any minute now.

Help me, GAF. Help me do the right thing.

Mik2121

poweld said:
Should I ditch work early today? It's 55 degrees out, sunny, and KZ2 will get to my apt any minute now.

ditch work and play the hell out of this game!

Aeon712

poweld said:

If you don't ditch work you're what's wrong with gaming.

Top Bottom