• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

smik

ChryZ said:
Jumped straight into MP for three hours, my gosh ... it's so beautiful :D

i did they exact same today for this first time ever i played the MP before the campaign, and you know what? i didnt feel guilty when i switched over lol

both are equally great

andycapps

Applesauce said:
Do you have Amazon Prime? Back when I had it that seemed the only way they were consistent with release day shipping, and when I didn't they always fucked me. Nowdays I just play it safe with a game I want on day 1 and go to a local retailer during lunch.

Wal Mart had several copies on my way in today, and they had Shiner Bock on sale too. It's like the Gods are smiling on me today.

Yep, I got the free trial and will be canceling it probably today since they've already shipped this. Ordered it yesterday and being delivered today.

BeeDog

Just arrived to Salamun Bridge, awesome stuff. I'm still amazed at how fun it is to fight the Helghans, love the AI. Though playing on Veteran is kicking my ass (I freaking suck :p).

fact: i am multiplatform.

fact: i have no possible 'agenda' reason for over hyping KillZone 2.

fact: i have been looking forwards to the game as a probable AAA sci fi FPS.

fact: i haven't been hyping myself up. not reading reviews or watching videos or anything. not that i've been trying to stay pure for it... it's just been over shadowed by the approaching RE5, and i only just put FEAR 2 away last night.

i lay out these facts because i want everyone to realize that the opinion i'm about to lay out is not one of hyperbole. i am going to draw comparisons to Halo 3 and Crysis not because of any given agenda, but because Killzone 2 rubs shoulders with those games and is looking like a platform best FPS. big disclaimer, i have not played COD4 on any system as i don't like real world shooters.

i am only an hour or so in having finished the first mission and played a little with the bots in multiplayer so these are early impressions.

i had no hopes or expectations for anything more than a fun solid shooter... but here goes.

the sense of immersion in KillZone 2 is second to none.

i'd credit the graphics (technically and artistically), the sound design, the ai and the level of scripting, as well as the first person cover mode, the fov, and good body awareness for that.

the graphics in KillZone 2 are better than anything I have seen on 360. the animation and AI in KillZone 2 beat Halo 3 hands down. Crysis's AI holds up pretty well though.

gameplay is tight and different enough that the game has it's own personality (as can be said for Halo 3 and Crysis). framerate isn't perfect but it's amazing that it's as stable as it is given the effects this game is pushing. you're talking rare occasional stutters when a lot is going on.

so far it's been more linear than Halo 3, but i appreciate that the first missions in Halo 1 and 2 are pretty damn linear too, so i reserve judgment there.

at this point, my guess is that at the end of the day I'll prefer this to any shooter on the 360 and put it close, but not beyond, the almightly Crysis. graphically it holds a candle to Crysis, but still doesn't surpass it (i wonder when something finally will). it has Crysis beaten in terms of the raw feeling of 'being there', but Crysis's more playful, less heavily scripted and open ended gameplay is still unsurpassed.

i reserve the right to amend any of these opinions as the game goes on, but a mission into the single player and a brief play around with the multiplayer (well, with bots) KZ2 is the real deal.

will it sell systems? i don't know or care. i just know that it SHOULD.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I have the game sitting here right beside me, but if I open it my midterm tonight will be a guaranteed fail :(

YoungHav

Banned
GG needs to either kill the bots online or make any game with bots unranked. All I wanna do is play Bodycount and 9/10 of the online Bodycount games are stat padders (bots, radar presence always on) etc... In fact, I hate the latter they should've just strictly made radar presence when firing only. GG is giving too much leeway with this.

Tenks

lupinko said:
I almost got it yesterday, the clerk at The Source @ CC was going to sell it to me, but his coworker told him about the street date, and then his manager said no. =/

I'll get it today, so no harm really.

Shoulda slit that bitches throat. Asshole has it comin'

~Kinggi~

Banned
plagiarize said:
fact: i am multiplatform.

fact: i have no possible 'agenda' reason for over hyping KillZone 2.

fact: i have been looking forwards to the game as a probable AAA sci fi FPS.

fact: i haven't been hyping myself up. not reading reviews or watching videos or anything. not that i've been trying to stay pure for it... it's just been over shadowed by the approaching RE5, and i only just put FEAR 2 away last night.

i lay out these facts because i want everyone to realize that the opinion i'm about to lay out is not one of hyperbole. i am going to draw comparisons to Halo 3 and Crysis not because of any given agenda, but because Killzone 2 rubs shoulders with those games and is looking like a platform best FPS. big disclaimer, i have not played COD4 on any system as i don't like real world shooters.

i am only an hour or so in having finished the first mission and played a little with the bots in multiplayer so these are early impressions.

i had no hopes or expectations for anything more than a fun solid shooter... but here goes.

the sense of immersion in KillZone 2 is second to none.

i'd credit the graphics (technically and artistically), the sound design, the ai and the level of scripting, as well as the first person cover mode, the fov, and good body awareness for that.

the graphics in KillZone 2 are better than anything I have seen on 360. the animation and AI in KillZone 2 beat Halo 3 hands down. Crysis's AI holds up pretty well though.

gameplay is tight and different enough that the game has it's own personality (as can be said for Halo 3 and Crysis). framerate isn't perfect but it's amazing that it's as stable as it is given the effects this game is pushing. you're talking rare occasional stutters when a lot is going on.

so far it's been more linear than Halo 3, but i appreciate that the first missions in Halo 1 and 2 are pretty damn linear too, so i reserve judgment there.

at this point, my guess is that at the end of the day I'll prefer this to any shooter on the 360 and put it close, but not beyond, the almightly Crysis. graphically it holds a candle to Crysis, but still doesn't surpass it (i wonder when something finally will). it has Crysis beaten in terms of the raw feeling of 'being there', but Crysis's more playful, less heavily scripted and open ended gameplay is still unsurpassed.

i reserve the right to amend any of these opinions as the game goes on, but a mission into the single player and a brief play around with the multiplayer (well, with bots) KZ2 is the real deal.

will it sell systems? i don't know or care. i just know that it SHOULD.
these posts are hilarious.

i can't beat radec :(
when rico tells me to go upstairs and after some higs killed, the ones that try to stab you with the knife enter the room and always kill me. i'm starting to hate them.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
~Kinggi~ said:

4u0i29w.jpg

~Kinggi~ said:
why? i never doubted that the game could be this good, but i never presumed it would be. i never claimed GG didn't have the talent or ability to pull it off. i don't see why it's hilarious for me to post my honest, and i feel unhyped and unbiased opinion.

there are people that would have celebrated the game had it turned out to be a turd. there are people that WILL claim it's not that good because of their agendas. i just wanted to post a 'clean' opinion so as to hopefully help any fence sitter make up their mind and pick up the game.

Blablurn

°°ToMmY°° said:
when rico tells me to go upstairs and after some higs killed, the ones that try to stab you with the knife enter the room and always kill me. i'm starting to hate them.

I used the knife to kill these bastards

NIN90

°°ToMmY°° said:

You don't have to kill Radec now.
Just kill all the higs waves.

Played some multi last night, got my medic badge, took a bit of time to adjust to the difference in movement from the single player and I'm still learning the maps but I really like the way the server cycles through different game types, I'm totally hooked.

Now to I just have to try and remember where the fuck I put my headset and get in on some East Coast GAF action.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
plagiarize said:
why? i never doubted that the game could be this good, but i never presumed it would be. i never claimed GG didn't have the talent or ability to pull it off. i don't see why it's hilarious for me to post my honest, and i feel unhyped and unbiased opinion.

there are people that would have celebrated the game had it turned out to be a turd. there are people that WILL claim it's not that good because of their agendas. i just wanted to post a 'clean' opinion so as to hopefully help any fence sitter make up their mind and pick up the game.

There's been too much positive Sony news lately, that's why. We had the PS3 selling 21 million units, all the PSP2 news, the slew of PSP game announcements, and now Killzone 2 is out, and it's an awesome game. This board can't take any positive Sony news for too long without going into meltdown mode. :lol :lol

DefectiveReject said:
Why'd it have to be my Birthday on Sunday.
I gotta wait til then to play this damned thing

I have to wait for a full day of work to pass. My brother is sort of in your situation though. His friend's b-day is tonight. Then he's going hiking and recording for his band on Sunday. He won't be able to play until Sunday night. He's a little peeved.

BeeDog said:
I guess some people cope with insecurity by laughing.
His post wasn't trollish at all, so dunno why you seem bothered by it.
i guess my comparisons to Halo 3 (which i loved) bothered him. like i said, i compare it to those games because it genuinely rubs shoulders with them, not to troll any given system.

KZ was hyped as a Halo killer and that put unfair expectations on the game. It couldn't live up to that title and it was unfair to expect it to. i don't know if I'd go so far as to call KZ2 a Halo 'killer' and i haven't played enough to make a firm decision as to which is better, but so far the least i can say is that KZ2 definitely gives the PS3 an exclusive of that caliber.

-PXG-

Loudninja said:

Shucks........Anyway....

OMG!!!!! JUST WALKED OUT OF THE ROOM!! Talking to Garza and looked out the window!! O___O Just 10 seconds in, I'm already going nuts. This is gonna be awesome.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Played it for about 1/2 an hour last night before going to bed (booo work) and can't wait to jump into some multiplayer.

Custom soundtracks right?

Can't wait to kill some fools. The violence in that game makes me want to crank some Slayer and go on a knifing streak.

thaOwner

plagiarize said:

Dude, don't listen to him. You got your point across and thats what really matters.

Dreweyes said:
Did anyone watch that $5.99 Killzone video off of the psn?

Is it available somewhere online???? :D

I would like to know this as well. Didn't it say it was help with like the 10 toughest trophies or something? What trophies does it discuss?

Neo-Sheperd said:
Dude, don't listen to him. You got your point across and thats what really matters.
oh, he's not bothering me. i'm just trying to figure out what the hell he was trying to say. does he think i've been here all these years pretending that Sony fanboys piss me off, just so that years after the PS3 has been out i can write some impressions of KZ2 without seeming biased.

i hope he thinks that. that would be hilarious.

Bulla564

Banned
I have been Killzone 2 fasting since E3 last year, and here I am, picking up a copy now and having to wait after work to play... my spirit is being tested time and time again.

Is there any advantage of assault over sniper? since I haven't been following the news, it always seemed to me like the invisibility cloak would be an unbalance (I'm sure this has been addressed a million times).

Top Bottom