• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ftsg.jpg

Pallaris

dark10x said:
Eh, it's not exactly a serious problem as it only crops up in logical places. I mean, sure, it would be nice if they had eliminated it, but pretty much every other major shooter on the consoles has the same issues.

Hell, UE3 games on the PC actually end up with worse load stuttering (Gears and Mirror's Edge, for instance, both suffer much more from this problem on the PC than they did on console).

Yeah, spot on. Actually the hitches weren't too bad in the demo, as long as they're of similar length in the full game and i'm not waiting 3 seconds or something for it to kick back in other areas. Cant wait to play this online. Roll on tomorrow.

DangerStepp said:
Lucky...

I can't pull that since there's no binding agreement involving a ring...not yet at least. :lol

She knows about this game. She knows I've been anxiously following it since I've had my PS3. I told her months ago about this day.

Basically ... I asked for vacation months ahead of time and was approved. :lol

Zeliard

CurlySaysX said:
I do like the pacing of the single player, some reviews said it was similar to COD4, which is utter bullshit IMO.
You could run thru most sections in COD4 and complete the game, with KZ2 you actually need to take your time and pop the Helgans one by one before moving on.
Plays very much like KZLiberation.

The pacing is wonderful, some of the best I've seen in any shooter. It spreads things out enough so that it isn't a constant barrage of action, and it also switches the pace up a bit at times with stuff like the tank and that huge artillery gun.

And to quote Draft the big console fanboy, firing the shotgun in Killzone 2 is like fucking people with God's dick. The shotty from FEAR 1 has made its triumphant return.

Pallaris said:
Yeah, spot on. Actually the hitches weren't too bad in the demo, as long as they're of similar length in the full game and i'm not waiting 3 seconds or something for it to kick back in other areas. Cant wait to play this online. Roll on tomorrow.

The hitches are one second at the most.

Spruchy said:
Aiming in this game is way too fucking hard.

These comments still puzzle me. I didn't really have that hard of a time getting used to them in the demo. Most people don't seem to have a problem. There's a select few that just CAN'T get them no matter what it seems.

Went home for lunch, so I just played for 30 mins, but …. my god! That was fun :D Got 3 ribbons, and earned enough points to create a squad from only my first round online!

Zeliard

Y2Kev said:
the flamethrower is also awesome

god's dick confirmed

Every time I get the flamethrower I keep it until it either runs out of ammo or the level ends.

Love it. And the streaming napalm effect isn't nearly as ugly as people made it out to be. It looks perfectly fine.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Holy crap @ the second level. Best graphics ever?

I also like the holograms that you can move with the sixaxis that show up on the loading screens for each level.

Does anyone know if this game saves automatically? I need to take a break but I don't see a save function anywhere. I know it saves when you see the icon and all, but do I need to create an actual file on the hard drive somewhere?

G-Bus

Banned
Holy cow I suck :lol

I've only played the first 2 levels of SP and had about 5 rounds of MP. Started to get the feel for it on the last round. I still can't get over how damn good this game looks in MP. it's fucking madness.

Full Recovery you little bitch :D Damn saboteurs piss me off.

ps. can I get an invite to the clan? i was in the west coast but not sure how it's being handled now. ill be on for a while.

Best MP i ever played.

edit - didn't see the clan invite. Thanks blackmark :D

Zeliard

G-Bus said:
I still can't get over how damn good this game looks in MP. it's fucking madness.

Seriously the visual downgrade from SP is minimal. I'm very surprised as well. Whatever they chose to downgrade, they chose wisely because it's not significantly noticeable at all (I'd assume it's mostly the MP map textures)

Stench

Banned
Baron Aloha said:
Uhh, you think the second level has the best graphics ever? Wait until the end of the game, man.

You won't believe your eyes.

Jan too? Why GG why???? :(

Almost done I think. Really awesome game. Veteran was tougher on me that I expected but I never got too frustrated.

Visuals are beyond amazing. Its ridiculous, I don't know if Uncharted 2 can top this.

Zeliard

I need a (very) mini-spoiler from someone...

I'm currently going through Salamun Bridge. Anyone know when Suljeva Village is coming up?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Baron Aloha said:

I also like the holograms that you can move with the sixaxis that show up on the loading screens for each level.

Does anyone know if this game saves automatically? I need to take a break but I don't see a save function anywhere. I know it saves when you see the icon and all, but do I need to create an actual file on the hard drive somewhere?
It auto saves.

And yeah, the second level is an amazing looking level.

Fenderputty said:
That sounds like torture. :lol

It was ... I'm now back at work ...... :( :( It's 3:22, I get off at 5

womfalcs3 said:
The back of the box says it supports PlayStation Home. So I assume it has game-launching?

If it doesn't support game launching already, it better soon!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
I need a (very) mini-spoiler from someone...

I'm currently going through Salamun Bridge. Anyone know when Suljeva Village is coming up?
I think it's either the next level or the one after.

Playing on veteran. Some parts are challenging, for example
it took me a few tries to kill off those two heavy motherfuckers during the defense sequence in one of the earlier chapters
but the challenge makes it fun. Multiplayer is almost a cakewalk after that. Which by the way is totally awesome, I love how you can actually blindside another player and there isn't this COD4 moment where you almost have him, but he spins instantly and shreds you.

Zeliard

Winterblink said:
Playing on veteran. Some parts are challenging, for example
it took me a few tries to kill off those two heavy motherfuckers during the defense sequence in one of the earlier chapters
but the challenge makes it fun. Multiplayer is almost a cakewalk after that. Which by the way is totally awesome, I love how you can actually blindside another player and there isn't this COD4 moment where you almost have him, but he spins instantly and shreds you.

That's the thing some people have to realize about KZ2's MP. I've seen tons of complaints that you can't turn 180 quickly enough to kill someone who's behind you, but the whole point is that you're not supposed to let anyone get behind you in the first place. You have to know where you are respective to the rest of the level and the enemies at all times, to keep from being ambushed or snuck up on.

cameltoe

I have almost 30 days with COD 4 MP and I can say with 100% certainty; I will not touch COD 4 MP again!!! This is what I have been looking for, for a very long time. It is CS meets TFC....my God its amazing!! I have never been so immersed with MP like this before...well, prolly with CS but man....I have no words to describe the awesome...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
That's the thing some people have to realize about KZ2's MP. I've seen tons of complaints that you can't turn 180 quickly enough to kill someone who's behind you, but the whole point is that you're not supposed to let anyone get behind you in the first place. You have to know where you are respective to the rest of the level and the enemies at all times, to keep from being ambushed or snuck up on.
You might not be referring to me, but for clarifications sake, when I say a 180 turn button would be useful, I'm referring to the single-player campaign. :)

Xater

Zeliard said:

Good teampaly also helps. I also like how it works because it actually makes the saboteur an even more effective class.

xBerserker said:
It was ... I'm now back at work ...... :( :( It's 3:22, I get off at 5

If it doesn't support game launching already, it better soon!

As time slowly ticks by ....

I've got my copy propped up on my desk in a sort of form of self torture as well

Zeliard said:
Exactly. It's really cool when you factor that into the mode which switches between all the different gametypes on the fly. It's pretty rare when you can say this really does something new with FPS multiplayer, but here we go.

Just wish killzone.com would work. :\

One other interesting tidbit I noticed. I had a spot of lag once during a game, and instead of punting me for a wonky connection the server worked with the client to resync me. A few seconds later and everything was normal (though I was dead obviously). Very slick.

Zeliard

Rez said:
You might not be referring to me, but for clarifications sake, when I say a 180 turn button would be useful, I'm referring to the single-player campaign. :)

Oh, it wasn't directed at you at all, just in general. In fact, I don't disagree that the SP could use that, and I even thought about that while playing. The MP is faster enough that it's fine, to me. It definitely takes noticeably less time doing a 180 than in SP.

Arnie

Good games guys. I'm loving that victory on Radec Academy, such elegance. I am VociferousTURTLE btw if you saw that name ingame and thought it was slightly abstract.

Top Bottom