• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

KZObsessed

Kotaku Review! ho ho ho!

Killzone 2 Review: A PS3 Must Have

Despite its minor shortcomings, Killzone 2 is a must-have for any owner of a PlayStation 3. It shows what the system can do and delivers a multiplayer experience rarely seen on the system. The single-player campaign is short, but enjoyable, and from my time with multiplayer, it's a game I'll be playing for quite a while.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm a PS3 hater usually, but fuck this game is gorgeous. Very pleased so far and a VAST divide from Resistance 2.

-viper-

Banned
Brandon F said:
ALTERNATE 2 FTW!

Actually what control layout is everyone using, the default kinda sucks, but so far Alternate 2 mimics most every other FPS pretty nicely. Had to jack up the look sensitivity a bit as well. The look bob is pretty brutal.

Also, am I missing something involving the menus? Can I hold down a button or something to move em about Smash Bros. Style? It seems like the pause or main menu WANTS me to screw with it somehow, but I can't figure out how.
Default control scheme FTW more like.

Varna

Brandon F said:
ALTERNATE 2 FTW!

Actually what control layout is everyone using, the default kinda sucks, but so far Alternate 2 mimics most every other FPS pretty nicely. Had to jack up the look sensitivity a bit as well. The look bob is pretty brutal.

Also, am I missing something involving the menus? Can I hold down a button or something to move em about Smash Bros. Style? It seems like the pause or main menu WANTS me to screw with it somehow, but I can't figure out how.

I really like it too. But it comes really annoying once you have to use cover... if they would only add a toggle crouch option.

JdFoX187

Banned
Played through the first mission and loved it. Went online and I'm getting my ass kicked. Ran into Dirtbag on there though :lol

alba

Little is the new Big
That was fun guys :D

Scout's definately not for me, i suck with it or at least most of the time i'm on target, i don't hit lol.

I'm loving the tactician though, guess i'll play that with repair badge I think :D

757.jpg

757.jpg

760.jpg

761.jpg

LOL.

thaOwner

Brandon F said:
I'm a PS3 hater usually, but fuck this game is gorgeous. Very pleased so far and a VAST divide from Resistance 2.

Really ? Could have fooled me.

Glad to see you liking the game Brandon. Am a PC/PS3 gamer myself and can't wait to try this.

-viper-

Banned
alba said:
That was fun guys :D

Scout's definately not for me, i suck with it or at least most of the time i'm on target, i don't hit lol.

I'm loving the tactician though, guess i'll play that with repair badge I think :D
I don't think I'll ever be using the scout, since I'm a crap sniper (in all games).

Has anyone got the badge chart? I've only got the medic and engineer badges, and I have no secondary badges.

Am I the only one that feels that getting a platinum trophy in this game is nearly impossible with the online ranking trophies in there?

I don't have fuckin' 6 hours a day to dedicate to ranking up online like kids do. :|

J-Rzez

Dirtbag said:
It all feels cold and impersonal to me. PSN doesn't help either. No one is talking / coordinating / flanking, as I expected.
Gameplay flow seems to lack choke points and feels redundant, and no one really seems to care about the objectives at all. I don't want to say it lacks depth (since I haven't really unlocked much of anything yet), but the encounters are feeling way too similar. I'm sure this will change some when there are more classes & weapons spread around the map, and when people have learned the maps more... but it really just feels like a spawn (in the same exact fucking spot) / sprint / shoot cycle that hopefully will be broken up in time.

I'm still waiting for the next MP game that can match the excitement/depth regularly found in a simple halo CTF (or 1-flag) match, and so far this isn't it.

I know right? PSN is so cold and impersonal without people trying to call you every known racial name in the book before the end of a single match. Jump into a game with me, make up each match what your ethnic/racial background is and we'll make you feel all warm and fuzzy like the people from XBL. The game is fresh for sooo many people right now, of course they're not going to know what to do, especially watching the gameplay switches mid-match.

And GOD DAMN I'm getting smoked on my first play through, which is on Vet, since i'm looking at so much shit. The lighting, the details, the overall environment... shits getting me capped. I'll have to play through again to collect all those symbols and items specifically.

Team coordination, like in ALL other shooters, may happen when people get the jist of what to do. It's not just this game, it's not just any PS3 game, it's also PC and 360 games as well that can lack any coordination. The only games I have ever seen to have some form of cooperation/strats were TF/TF2 and SOCOMs. Perhaps it's due to the more "team orientated" people that seem to be attracted to those types of games.

Sorry it doesn't match Halo for you, I'm sure you're not alone, and I'm also sure your feeling isn't mutual. CoD4, SOCOM:Conf, and this all make H3 feel like a last-gen training wheels for new shooter players in my taste and opinion. It all boils down to what you like. Maybe it'll click for you, maybe it won't, but that's like every other title.

Negaiido

FFObsessed said:
I need to get right back into the online and level up. Day 1 of release and I feel so far behind :p

I feel the same as the beta all over again, after spending so much time leveling. Sniper is cool but assault guns and shotguns are even better. You should just take your time and don't rush. Well atleast I would give that advice to myself if I could start over again ^^

Teknoman

J-Rzez said:
I know right? PSN is so cold and impersonal without people trying to call you every known racial name in the book before the end of a single match. Jump into a game with me, make up each match what your ethnic/racial background is and we'll make you feel all warm and fuzzy like the people from XBL. The game is fresh for sooo many people right now, of course they're not going to know what to do, especially watching the gameplay switches mid-match.

Team coordination, like in ALL other shooters, may happen when people get the jist of what to do. It's not just this game, it's not just any PS3 game, it's also PC and 360 games as well that can lack any coordination. The only games I have ever seen to have some form of cooperation/strats were TF/TF2 and SOCOMs. Perhaps it's due to the more "team orientated" people that seem to be attracted to those types of games.

Sorry it doesn't match Halo for you, I'm sure you're not alone, and I'm also sure your feeling isn't mutual. CoD4, SOCOM:Conf, and this all make H3 feel like a last-gen training wheels for new shooter players in my taste and opinion. It all boils down to what you like. Maybe it'll click for you, maybe it won't, but that's like every other title.

Once GAF clans get up and running, teamwork for everyone! :D

Zeliard

J-Rzez said:

Actually, I was in the TF2 beta, and it was much the same way as Killzone 2 at the start. Off the bat people were trying to get acclimated (or re-acclimated) to the maps and classes and such, and so there was a lot of random FFA'ness at the beginning there.

Rapping Granny said:
How do you zoom in with the sniper?

Up on the d-pad, and then again to zoom back out.

alba

Little is the new Big
-viper- said:
I don't think I'll ever be using the scout, since I'm a crap sniper (in all games).

Has anyone got the badge chart? I've only got the medic and engineer badges, and I have no secondary badges.

Go ingame, login into warzone go into "My statistics" and you got all the infos on how to unlock secondary abilities (scroll down, it's after the ranks)

damn.. this game... just wow.. even dying on veteran this much doesn't even matter.. i love this game. i'm going to play the single player a couple of times, and i rarely do that.
and then there's the multi player.....

the immersion in this game is incredible...

thanx Guerilla!

btw, i can't understand the people complaining about the story.. god damn hippies. go shoot shit up ;P

J-Rzez

Teknoman said:
Once GAF clans get up and running, teamwork for everyone! :D

Yep, and that's when you steam roll over everyone. Same thing happened in Resistance's clans, and in any other shooter basically lol. I'll have to get my skills up again to join GAFe ranks : /

KZObsessed

Negaiido said:
I feel the same as the beta all over again, after spending so much time leveling. Sniper is cool but assault guns and shotguns are even better. You should just take your time and don't rush. Well atleast I would give that advice to myself if I could start over again ^^

Yeah that was my initial plan, to take it easy and use all the badges and get all the secndary abilities along the way. Don't like being left behind but yeah I'm gonna take it slow and just enjoy it.

And stop shooting me with rockets goddamn you I'm only a medic! :p

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Varna said:
I really like it too. But it comes really annoying once you have to use cover... if they would only add a toggle crouch option.

Oh crap I just discovered this issue. I hate having zoom on right stick, but being forced to hold both L1 and L2 to zoom from cover put a total wrench in my ALT 2 FTW statement...

So people are using default for the campaign? GUERILLA PLEASE ADD A CROUCH TOGGLE OPTION!!!

RobertM

God damn aiming is brutal considering there is no aim assist. Can't say that I like any particular mode in multiplayer, they are all kind of meh, but I will say that it actually feels like a war zone with people communicating and doing some tactical stuff on the fly.

Negaiido

FFObsessed said:
Yeah that was my initial plan, to take it easy and use all the badges and get all the secndary abilities along the way. Don't like being left behind but yeah I'm gonna take it slow and just enjoy it.

And stop shooting me with rockets goddamn you I'm only a medic! :p

I'm sorry :p I stopped using the rockets because I've heard that some don't really like it :D

Zeliard

Negaiido said:
I'm sorry :p I stopped using the rockets because I've heard that some don't really like it :D

I think Street Fighter rules should apply: nothing is cheap. :p

I don't think I'll be able to resist the rocket launcher due to my love for Quake.

BlacKMaRK

Banned
man im having too much fun with MP.

full recovery is a beast but ill catch up to him =]

BTW, all GAFw clan invites are sent out. Hopefully we can have a GAFw clan game this weekend.

while playing MP i ran into someone using the GAFW(all caps) clan tag who isnt in the neogaf (GAFw) clan. I guess capitalization matters when making a clan tag.

Negaiido

Zeliard said:
I think Street Fighter rules should apply: nothing is cheap. :p

I don't think I'll be able to resist the rocket launcher due to my love for Quake.

They will shout at you xD Trust me, I know

-viper-

Banned
alba said:
Go ingame, login into warzone go into "My statistics" and you got all the infos on how to unlock secondary abilities (scroll down, it's after the ranks)
I'll probably stick to being a medic anyway, since I don't see many on the field. Plus it's useful to throw medpacks and revive others.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Brandon F said:
Oh crap I just discovered this issue. I hate having zoom on right stick, but being forced to hold both L1 and L2 to zoom from cover put a total wrench in my ALT 2 FTW statement...

So people are using default for the campaign? GUERILLA PLEASE ADD A CROUCH TOGGLE OPTION!!!
Use Alt-2, and when you want to go from cover into scope view, just release L2 and press L1 immediately. When you're done shooting, release L1, press L2 to get back into cover. I do that and it works really well. Probably get a bit more damage that way, but it's not a big deal.

RobertM said:
God damn aiming is brutal considering there is no aim assist.
There's definitely small aim assist when you shoot from hip. You can see the sight cursor slowing down a bit when it passes over enemies.

Neo-Sheperd said:
Really ? Could have fooled me.

Glad to see you liking the game Brandon. Am a PC/PS3 gamer myself and can't wait to try this.
He's a wierdo. His endless excitement about XBL Achievements makes me think it's all an act.
(At least I hope so!)

BlacKMaRK said:
man im having too much fun with MP.

full recovery is a beast but ill catch up to him =]

BTW, all GAFw clan invites are sent out. Hopefully we can have a GAFw clan game this weekend.

while playing MP i ran into someone using the GAFW(all caps) clan tag who isnt in the neogaf (GAFw) clan. I guess capitalization matters when making a clan tag.

Can you invite me if I don't have the game. I know I'm on your friends list though. Anyway ... I'm plaing the SP tonight and giving the MP my time tomorrow.

See you all this weekend.

KZObsessed

Negaiido said:

I don't mind usually at all, you may use what ever you wish, just not when I first start playing again on a map I don't know :p

icechai

gah playing with you guys and i'm stuck on the roof, got blown up there by grenade and then some medic revived me, can't suicide, can't move, suck. that lasted a round

Top Bottom