• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Crye

Wow, what a great game. Everything about it, the graphics, the atmosphere, the brutality of it, its really really good. Had a couple of great games online as well, some desperate one on one duels, many awesome moments. Can see myself playing this for a fair amount of time.
My main criticism is that I'm fed up fighting the controls, is their any kind of converter out there that will let me use K+M! :?

WTFing

Banned
Negaiido said:
I'm sorry :p I stopped using the rockets because I've heard that some don't really like it :D
No, playing against you was really fun. At least there was a player who has a different weapon. ;)

-viper-

Banned
icechai said:
gah playing with you guys and i'm stuck on the roof, got blown up there by grenade and then some medic revived me, can't suicide, can't move, suck. that lasted a round
Similar thing happened to me. Medic revived me, I was stuck in a frame in Corinth Crossing. I tried jumping, ducking and moving but I couldn't get out. But I died a few minutes later.

Artofwar420

Just bought the game, and played an hour or so and GODDAMN! It looks fucking great, there's no denying it.

AND THE INTRO OMGWTFBBQ! I was not expecting it to be so GLORIOUS.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does anyone else notice that the center channel doesn't work when you play with Dolby DTS?

I switch my system to Dolby Digital, and and the center channel worked in fine in Killzone 2. I tried a different PS3 game with DTS selected (Wipeout), and the center channel worked fine so it's not my setup.

At first I couldn't figure out why I could barely hear someone talking directly in front of me, then I stuck my ear next to my center channel and realized what was going on.

mr_nothin

Banned
Hey!

Do NOT...
I repeat: DO NOT..

Underestimate the Pyrrhus desert level. That will be VERY strategic. I just had an AWESOME match on there and we didnt even have tacticians. The best mode on that map is Search and Retrieve because it creates a push and pull style of gameply. Especially across those bridges. The battles I just had on those bridges were awesome. That mode ensures you that everybody is in the same area for the most part. You'll obviously have people trying to flank and stuff. There will be so much depth to that level when there's tacticians on there. It was more along the lines of socom.

It's amazing. You just have to have the right mode and the right classes.

Awesome AWESOME map...even without tacticians.

Proc

finished my last assignment of the week, cracked a redbull and just played the first two levels of this game. level 2 was full of amazing. I am in love.

I know its been said before but that knife is a murder machine in single player :lol

If I can't stand the cpu taking cover too long I just rush the bastards and kill them with a few swoops of my knife.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Brandon F said:
ALTERNATE 2 FTW!

Actually what control layout is everyone using, the default kinda sucks, but so far Alternate 2 mimics most every other FPS pretty nicely. Had to jack up the look sensitivity a bit as well. The look bob is pretty brutal.

I'm using alternate 2 as well. The main draw for me was being able to use the shoulder button to zoom in. I wish there was an alternate 3 though with the grenade and trigger buttons switched. I also wish zooming in with the sniper rifle was easier. I'm getting used to the controls though.

alba

Little is the new Big
FFObsessed said:
DocEvils I love the taste of your testicles, please continue.

:lol

I must be build the wrong way because i have absolutely no problems with the controls, I don't get your fighting the control thing... once it clicks to you there ain't no fighting happening!

By the way... STANDARD 1 REPRESENT! :D

BeeDog

Minor level 2 and 3 spoilers:

The end of level 3 (the Visari Square stand-off vs. the two big dudes), isn't it the beginning of level 2 (where you land with the dropship, directly after 'that's the fucking convoy?')? /retard mode

Brannon said:
Finally getting around to opening my PS3 and I don't even get an S-Video cable? :mad:

I'd better buy a better cable, and fast!

If you need something fast, Target or Walmart has cheap cables. If you're fine with waiting ... get it online for even cheaper.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Okay, I put a couple of hours into MP, and I gotta say, the objective modes are a little lacking :( Also, I know you guys say that ppl who complain about the aiming should "learn to play" but watching two people try to kill each other when they are close to each other is just about the saddest thing I've seen in a game in a longggg time :p I decided that the game just needs some aim assist. There's so much potential there, though, because it just SEEMS like it should be awesome... but it's not. I know I'm going to be crucified, but so far, I'd say Resistance 2's MP is better. /runs

Perhaps I just need practice. Oh, and an invite to GAFe! PSN is tigerheli. Fun games with the gaffers I played with tonight. It's fun but frustrating when I can't aim as precisely as I want.

Dante

Woo! Almost quitting time! Just gotta stop by Safeway and get some grub and some alcohol and I am set for the night. BTW where the heck has BruceLeeRoy been? I know he had the day off :)

Erebus

I received my copy today, got all excited and ended up playing for more than 6 hours (both campaign and multiplayer). The game is really brilliant!:D

Here are some random thoughts:

I'm really glad that they added a crouch toggle option under the multiplayer control settings. Now the Alternative 2 configuration is even closer to the CoD4 controls, making our lives easier. On the contrary, I have trouble getting accustomed to the single player controls. It seems that none of the available configurations feels quite right for me. I can still enjoy the campaign but it would be so much better if they didn't have included the cover system. It causes more trouble than good in my opinion (luckily they got rid of it in the multiplayer).

As others have noticed, the aiming on KZ2 is somehow different compared to other FPS. I don't know if it's just me but I find it kinda difficult to aim with precision in this game. I tried tuning up the sensitivity and the results were better, however, I can't get to headshot the enemies as easily as in other games for some odd reason. Is it the so-called "weightiness" of the weapons for the sake of realism? I don't know but I dread the thought of even trying to play the game without the crosshair.:lol

Last but not least, I figured that the game supports custom soundtracks on multiplayer! Don't know if it has been already mentioned but it's a nice little feature that I'll make good use of it.:lol

That's all for me! Enjoy the game GAF and see ya online.

commish said:
Okay, I put a couple of hours into MP, and I gotta say, the objective modes are a little lacking :( Also, I know you guys say that ppl who complain about the aiming should "learn to play" but watching two people try to kill each other when they are close to each other is just about the saddest thing I've seen in a game in a longggg time :p I decided that the game just needs some aim assist. There's so much potential there, though, because it just SEEMS like it should be awesome... but it's not. I know I'm going to be crucified, but so far, I'd say Resistance 2's MP is better. /runs

Perhaps I just need practice. Oh, and an invite to GAFe! PSN is tigerheli. Fun games with the gaffers I played with tonight. It's fun but frustrating when I can't aim as precisely as I want.

NO, GTFO.

alba

Little is the new Big
I agree, no aim assist... this game is soo great because it makes skilled player shine and makes other players want to get better (at least to me) ;)

It's the layers inside the game you have, aim assist is just making it easier and easier isn't always better, IMO.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Dartastic

I want a bluetooth headset to use with this game. One that's fairly cheap but good, as I don't have a job. Anyone have any suggestions?

mr_nothin

Banned
alba said:
I agree, no aim assist... this game is soo great because it makes skilled player shine and makes other players want to get better (at least to me) ;)

It's the layers inside the game you have, aim assist is just making it easier and easier isn't always better, IMO.

Yea man..right in the middle of my complaining, everything from the beta came back to me and it all just CLICKED. I'm back on TOP bitches. Oh god, so many hours will be lost playing this game.

Im doing like I used to before. At the top of the list - Highest scoring player of the game - most kills - best KD ratio - etc.

Oh and TTP/FFObsessed, that's not me playing with you guys right now. That's my friend (the guy who owns MemoryCure, the name). He's the 1 that didnt like the game at all and now he's enjoying it alot. Take it easy on him though lol he sucks

~Kinggi~

Banned
Ive died about 100 times in a row now on what is easily the most annoying boss ive played in a while. Good going guerrilla. Better still is i get to here "blah blah were going to see if we can help you from the ground" every single time i restart.

screw this.

dfyb

Banned
i've played MP for several hours and it's basically impossible for me to enjoy multiplayer with this awkward aiming. i don't know how anyone could defend the aiming in this game. they can be working as intended and still be a poor design choice. some have said the beta had different aiming and i wish they'd return to that.

Got it as soon as my GS opened at 10. I played a bit of Campaign but most of what I played was Warzone.

First few matches I sucked because I did'nt know the maps. But after I got used to it I started getting better and got the "Get 10% kills in BodyCount" ribbon 8 times :D

Then I tried assasination before I had to logout. Really cool game mode.

Glad to see alot of people not using mics in MP. lol makes me feel better that I'm not alone with not using mics. Played with teams well and always tried to stick with my team and protect my ally in asasination.

Also: Stats. I just love increasing my stats. Even increasing my deaths its just so much fun!

Also While I was still getting used to multiplayer (Pretty much had teh controls down pat by this time. Using the default controls) I kinda forgot which time I was one and killed my teammate. Whoops :lol

ALSO why can't you copy your save data to a memory stick? Wow seriously, I know if something like my PS3 dies that my MP and SP stats are stored online...but still I would lose my SP progress and have to recollect everything in SP again...not cool. They better fix this!

Gonna play again after I eat and try out the other modes.

alba

Little is the new Big
Dartastic said:
I want a bluetooth headset to use with this game. One that's fairly cheap but good, as I don't have a job. Anyone have any suggestions?

Official Playstation3 Headset... it doesn't get much better than that ;)

Proc

Dartastic said:

You could do what I did and just trade in a game you don't like and put it towards socom bundle. I got it for ~$20 with one trade in. The official headset is sex.

Think I am going to finally try online momentarily. Any one use the default controls online?

I really don't want to keep switching... :/

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
alba said:

Normally in a FPS I abhor aim assist (forget it for kb/m), but on consoles, it just makes life better. Skilled players shine regardless of aim assist. To suggest otherwise just doesn't make sense.

alba

Little is the new Big
MvmntInGrn said:
Think I am going to finally try online momentarily. Any one use the default controls online?

I really don't want to keep switching... :/

For yourself to the standard one, after a while you'll feel right at home and you won't have to be annoyed when you switch from sp<->mp :)

commish said:
Normally in a FPS I abhor aim assist (forget it for kb/m), but on consoles, it just makes life better. Skilled players shine regardless of aim assist. To suggest otherwise just doesn't make sense.

It makes the gap bigger and that' something I like I suppose, each on his own... :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
commish said:
There is aim assist in the game, when you shoot from the hip. Not strong, but it's there.

LowParry

Such a long time till I can get that Scout badge. Really looking forward to getting that Engineer badge. Already have a good idea of where to place turrets for easy kills.

AnonymousNoob said:
Is it just me or is Garza's AI completely inept?

Probably some of the worst buddy-AI I've ever encountered in a game.

All the buddy AI is pretty bad. I often find myself having to shoot down my teammates to get them the fuck outta my way when firing at enemies.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
AnonymousNoob said:
Is it just me or is Garza's AI completely inept?

Probably some of the worst buddy-AI I've ever encountered in a game.

Just melee him in the face. Makes me feel better at least.

icechai

mr_nothin said:
Hey!

Do NOT...
I repeat: DO NOT..

Underestimate the Pyrrhus desert level. That will be VERY strategic. I just had an AWESOME match on there and we didnt even have tacticians. The best mode on that map is Search and Retrieve because it creates a push and pull style of gameply. Especially across those bridges. The battles I just had on those bridges were awesome. That mode ensures you that everybody is in the same area for the most part. You'll obviously have people trying to flank and stuff. There will be so much depth to that level when there's tacticians on there. It was more along the lines of socom.

It's amazing. You just have to have the right mode and the right classes.

Awesome AWESOME map...even without tacticians.

you missed out on a game with a bunch of us on that map, i was tactician, they had one too, and ended 3-3 draw, realllly intense all over the map :)

also regarding aiming, I will always defend the aiming in this game, just observe the size of your reticule based on movement, when you crouch, when you recoil, etc. and once you keep that in mind you should be able to get a lot more accurate shots.

dfyb

Banned
icechai said:
also regarding aiming, I will always defend the aiming in this game, just observe the size of your reticule based on movement, when you crouch, when you recoil, etc. and once you keep that in mind you should be able to get a lot more accurate shots.
it's not the recoil i have a problem with. it's how awkward it feels to get my crosshair on the enemy compared to other games.

icechai

dfyb said:
it's not the recoil i have a problem with. it's how awkward it feels to get my crosshair on the enemy compared to other games.

ah, that's probably too subjective, seems like there's a love it/hate it mentality in regards to acceleration and sensitivity in this game, although Mr_Nothin sure turned his view around real quick :p

mr_nothin

Banned
icechai said:
you missed out on a game with a bunch of us on that map, i was tactician, they had one too, and ended 3-3 draw, realllly intense all over the map :)

I took back everything I said.
Well, some of that stuff still applies but now it feels how it used to in the beta. I was playing on laggy servers. It made it seem like there was tons of recoil. I'd shoot a guy like 5-7 times, literally, and he'd still be skipping around and then he'd shoot me once or twice and i'd die. The good ole "die 5 secs later after being shot" situation was happening too so I knew it had to be lag.

Top Bottom