• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Stillmatic said:
Is that the part where you have to get into the vehicle? It triggers a cutscene and takes you there.

I see two vehicles, I try to enter them but there's no button to press or anything. Dunno what's going on. I've restarted from the checkpoint a dozen times, it looks like I'll have to replay that part all over again. I turned off the PS3 because it was getting hot, dunno where it'll put me now...

rexor0717

dfyb said:
i was headshot master in uncharted. this game has aim assist anyway (can be very blatant at times) :lol. it's just the acceleration that's off.
I'm getting headshots left and right. Its amazing.

Stillmatic

Phaethon0017 said:
I see two vehicles, I try to enter them but there's no button to press or anything. Dunno what's going on. I've restarted from the checkpoint a dozen times, it looks like I'll have to replay that part all over again. I turned off the PS3 because it was getting hot, dunno where it'll put me now...

Hmm, weird. IIRC there's two members of Alpha squad in one, and you have to grab the other vehicle with the the other Alpha squad member. I can't remember if you have to go to that member or the vehicle to trigger the next scene. Anyone?

matmanx1

Unlocked Shotgun and SMG tonight (and Shotgun is still better by a mile for up close stuff, I'm not sure of what the purpose for the SMG is supposed to be) and got my first medal. 2 grenades now instead of one, woohoo!

I like all the maps alot except for Pyhrus or however you spell it. The dusty, brown windblown one with the bridges. It feels too large, even for 32 players and some of the objectives are really really difficult because the bridges are such choke points.

Still, all in all I'm having a great time and the game is a complete blast. I just got through playing a 4 player map with some buddies and we even did a pistols only match which was more fun that I thought it would be. Headshots with a pistol are just as deadly and just as satisfying!

Stillmatic said:
Hmm, weird. IIRC there's two members of Alpha squad in one, and you have to grab the other vehicle with the the other Alpha squad member. I can't remember if you have to go to that member or the vehicle to trigger the next scene. Anyone?

The guy who pulls up just jumps out of the vehicle and walks away. There's nothing I can do. I guess I'll have to restart the section and hope it works the next time.

Pimpbaa

The single player campaign is worse than Resistance 2. And that was already pretty damn shitty. Every gunfight is so goddamn tedious and slow.

Crisis

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
The single player campaign is worse than Resistance 2. And that was already pretty damn shitty. Every gunfight is so goddamn tedious and slow.

I have an overwhelming urge to post your tag.

careksims

Playing on Veteran. Everything was awesome until the
Raddick Fight. The part that I'm stuck on is when you get on the 2nd balcony. There's just no real cover and they take quite a bunch to kill. I can make it to the 3rd wave and once to the rocket guys but gah. Rico is no use at all. He doesn't kill anyone and just dies too quickly!

Any tips? Most of my deaths is to this part.

rexor0717

matmanx1 said:
Unlocked Shotgun and SMG tonight (and Shotgun is still better by a mile for up close stuff, I'm not sure of what the purpose for the SMG is supposed to be) and got my first medal. 2 grenades now instead of one, woohoo!

I like all the maps alot except for Pyhrus or however you spell it. The dusty, brown windblown one with the bridges. It feels too large, even for 32 players and some of the objectives are really really difficult because the bridges are such choke points.

Still, all in all I'm having a great time and the game is a complete blast. I just got through playing a 4 player map with some buddies and we even did a pistols only match which was more fun that I thought it would be. Headshots with a pistol are just as deadly and just as satisfying!
Well, its really a close/medium range gun. While the standard rifles are more of a medium/long range gun.

Finally got to play the game after a long day at work. Fucking sick! Played only the first level and got my first rank up in online but It's been amazing. I spent much more time waiting to respawn in my first match than playing but my second one I managed to get 2nd on the server. Are there any openings in any of the GAF clans? I wanna get in on one of these gaf games.

Pimpbaa said:

(neutral) Pimpbaa
Official Forum Cocksucker
(Today, 06:09 AM)
Reply | Quote

Pimpbaa said:

Thats my only complaint. Compared to other console fps's its kinda slow. Upping the response on the axis improved it a little for me.

Pimpbaa

dreamer3kx said:

Not a joke. This ranks up there with fear and black and some of my worse hated first person shooters. I had some fun with multiplayer, but single player is everything that is wrong with modern first person shooters.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Pimpbaa said:

Fuuuuck no.

I dislike Fear and Black though, why do you feel that way about this? Resistance 2 does suck also. Explain yourself. Just the pacing?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Pretty far into Single-player now. Definitely the best thing this game has going for it is the technical presentation. The graphics are really fantastic. The world feels very lively with the wind system and the battles are incredibly hectic, almost to the game's detriment since it becomes hard to see what the hell's happening. The sound design is fantastic and everything sounds great, including the guns, which makes it satisfying to shoot them.

Playing on veteren there are some really frustrating parts, not too many though. The problem really becomes aggravating though because of the control problems. And yes there are definitely "problems" and not just design choices. There is a serious response problem, almost as if the bluetooth method they are using which interprets your inputs adds a couple of frames delay on actions. This causes precision problems and sometimes i just get caught stuck in a corner and get blown to bits cause the controls arent responding fast enough. Even the menu takes a few frames to record a selection. Slow turning radius doesnt help the situation, but it would be much more forgivable if there wasn't response issues. Not a fan.

Enemies have been pretty lackluster. There isnt a lot of variety, although the game does its best to add variations in there. They are definitely smarter than the ones in the first Killzone. One annoying thing though is they are bullet sponges on high difficulty. You can empty a clip into them and they still live. Kinda lame, especially when your pumping bullets into their head region. I like their voicework though, which is more i can say for the ally voices, which are the definition of generic, and if i hear my buddy yell at me to get cover one more time im gonna kill him.

Im enjoying it, but i think for people interested in the single-player only its a definite rental. I'd give it a 8/10 for now, mostly because of the amazing presentation. It really does feel like a blockbuster movie.

WinFonda

Pimpbaa said:
Oh god not the Milhouse character. He's like the ideological opposite of the Homer's.

Dante

Oh man....Had to take a break....Veteran is intense. I feel like I don't blink when I play this game. I'm only on the third level I am moving through at a pretty slow pace taking my time....And dying a lot :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Pimpbaa said:
Fix this shit guerrilla?

_Angelus_

Banned
Well yeah the gun fights are tedious but pretty satisfying when you clear an area. I 've learned to take each area slowly and just play it out like any other game on a hard setting. For example I was approaching taking out that guy with the tanks on his back way wrong. I just ran around slowly,listened to my men about giving him some head shots then going for the tanks on his back,it wasn't hard after I approached the game at a slower pace instead of trying to kill him all Rambo style. What I really like about the game is that the weapons feel pretty satisfying to use. In a slow paced shooter thats one of the critical things you have to get right. I saw plenty of copies of the game when I walked into GameStop today,thought about buying it but nah I'm poor on gaming funds so my money is on the Show in a few days. BlockBuster had it in as I got first dibs on it,heh. I'm not quite the fan of its artstyle but I do love the technical stuff they have all over the game. Neat little game so far.

Aladuf

Banned
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
What your PSN ID? Mine is the same as on xbox live.
Mine's the same as XBL too: Aladuf23

edit: I'll add you now

edit 2: nevermind, I don't remember the spelling of yours.. you can just add me when you get the chance.

Timan

Developer
careksims said:
Raddick Fight. The part that I'm stuck on is when you get on the 2nd balcony. There's just no real cover and they take quite a bunch to kill. I can make it to the 3rd wave and once to the rocket guys but gah. Rico is no use at all. He doesn't kill anyone and just dies too quickly!

Yep, we're stuck at the same damn part for the past 3 hrs. Its really pissing us off, its ruining the game :(. Veteran aswell.

Pimpbaa said:
Not a joke. This ranks up there with fear and black and some of my worse hated first person shooters. I had some fun with multiplayer, but single player is everything that is wrong with modern first person shooters.

I disagree completely.

Then again, I set it on HARD with no reticule so for me every single-player battle has been a life and death struggle.

Maggot9

Banned
Timan said:
Yep, we're stuck at the same damn part for the past 3 hrs. Its really pissing us off, its ruining the game :(. Veteran aswell.
wait til you face the fucker. absolutely horrid final boss.

Dante said:
Oh man....Had to take a break....Veteran is intense. I feel like I don't blink when I play this game. I'm only on the third level I am moving through at a pretty slow pace taking my time....And dying a lot :)

Same here, except I'm on the 6th level

Pimpbaa

Musashi Wins! said:
Fuuuuck no.

I dislike Fear and Black though, why do you feel that way about this? Resistance 2 does suck also. Explain yourself. Just the pacing?

The pacing and the amount of checkpoints the wonky aiming and turning.

~Kinggi~ said:
Pretty far into Single-player now. Definitely the best thing this game has going for it is the technical presentation. The graphics are really fantastic. The world feels very lively with the wind system and the battles are incredibly hectic, almost to the game's detriment since it becomes hard to see what the hell's happening. The sound design is fantastic and everything sounds great, including the guns, which makes it satisfying to shoot them.

Playing on veteren there are some really frustrating parts, not too many though. The problem really becomes aggravating though because of the control problems. And yes there are definitely "problems" and not just design choices. There is a serious response problem, almost as if the bluetooth method they are using which interprets your inputs adds a couple of frames delay on actions. This causes precision problems and sometimes i just get caught stuck in a corner and get blown to bits cause the controls arent responding fast enough. Even the menu takes a few frames to record a selection. Slow turning radius doesnt help the situation, but it would be much more forgivable if there wasn't response issues. Not a fan.

Enemies have been pretty lackluster. There isnt a lot of variety, although the game does its best to add variations in there. They are definitely smarter than the ones in the first Killzone. One annoying thing though is they are bullet sponges on high difficulty. You can empty a clip into them and they still live. Kinda lame, especially when your pumping bullets into their head region. I like their voicework though, which is more i can say for the ally voices, which are the definition of generic, and if i hear my buddy yell at me to get cover one more time im gonna kill him.

Im enjoying it, but i think for people interested in the single-player only its a definite rental. I'd give it a 8/10 for now, mostly because of the amazing presentation. It really does feel like a blockbuster movie.

Set your sensitivity back down to default levels (I assume you upped it higher?).
It will play slower but it will feel way more natural.

~Kinggi~

Banned
UntoldDreams said:
Set your sensitivity back down to default levels (I assume you upped it higher?).
It will play slower but it will feel way more natural.
I did, i set it back to default on the first level and preferred that after a while. Still dont like it.

The StA-14 bolt action rifle...

It's nice to blow people's heads off in the single player campaign with this weapon but some of the firefights are really better served with a spray enabled machine gun.

Decisions... Decisions...

Puck

Banned
Game froze completely when viewing a PSN message while the game was starting up (it was beginning the SCE logo intro with Visari)

Seriously, is there a way to reduce headset echo? I have the official, and all i hear is other poeples echo and then mine echos their echo.

Some hip guy was listening to simple plan and talking to his mum about how fun the game is, he left his mic open.

JB1981

Well, I hope the crew we had tonight continues to play because I was just getting in a groove. The current lobby system and user set-up is pretty OK with me. As long as you create your own games, you can stick with the same group of guys for basically as long as you want (just disable auto balancing). I was really quite happy with how smoothly the game ran tonight with 16-20 players on the US servers. No lag at all for me. Nothing. Smooth as butter. Voice chat is clear and consistent as well. I experienced one crash tonight and that's it. As you start to progress the game starts to open itself up and you start to realize just how deep the multiplayer starts to become. I cannot wait to start unlocking new abilities and be able to dig into the meat and potatoes of the game. Aladuf and Third, I hope you stick with the game because I think you will find that it is really quite awesome. I'm still a bit miffed that you can't carry two primary weapons at a given time but I guess I'll have to deal with it.

This is also my biggest gripe with the SP campaign, which so far has been pretty damn awesome. The AI is the real standout to me. And the enemy hit reactions are just brutal at times. A lot of people have criticized the game for being claustrophobic and corrider shooterish but I believe there is nothing wrong with a game that does tight and intense gunplay well. This usually requires narrow corridor design and the game puts the player into some harrowing firefights. The atmosphere and lighting is just intoxicating as well. I am really quite impressed with the level of polish on display here. You can tell this is Sony's baby - how amazing would it be to get games at this high a production value all the time from Sony? Anyway, I'm exhausted - hope to see you guys on again this weekend. We should start some Killzone Wednesdays or Tuesdays or something. Get all the GAFFERS together and have a ball .....

~Kinggi~ said:
I did, i set it back to default on the first level and preferred that after a while. Still dont like it.

Ahh... Sorry to hear that its not growing on you as far as how it plays.
:/ (give it a try more in multiplayer)

It works nicely for me because I guess I appreciate how smooth it feels on the console.

See... every time I play a twitchy FPS game on a console I am simply reminded how poor it handles compared to mouse and keyboard. The slower Killzone gameplay on the other hand works better with joysticks.... I doubt it would work very well with mouse at all (turn rate speed alone would force you to recenter the mouse multiple times just to rotate... It would suck).

Dammit, I'm stuck in an area that's really damn tough (i'm playing on veteran but this is ridiculous). Could use a tip/trick or two if anyone would be nice enough for some guidance:

Can't remember how far through the game it is, but it's in a wasteland village and there's like six snipers who pretty much fuck your face with a bullet when you walk out of cover for a second. This of course makes it rather hard to actually KILL them since when you try you die to the one you're shooting or one of the bastards flanking you. They don't give you a sniper rifle at the start so it's a pain in the ass to get through that area. Halp?

Zeliard

Y2Kev said:
indeed, man. lol. i didn't have to read your post but i agree.

:lol

I dunno what was up. I checked it again after I posted and it was fine. Guess it took a while to update. That was in-game, too, not on the website (dunno if they update at the same time or not).

Anyway, MP is massive fun.

Puck said:
Game froze completely when viewing a PSN message while the game was starting up (it was beginning the SCE logo intro with Visari)

Seriously, is there a way to reduce headset echo? I have the official, and all i hear is other poeples echo and then mine echos their echo.

Some hip guy was listening to simple plan and talking to his mum about how fun the game is, he left his mic open.

That echo you hear is coming from other people's headsets/speaker feedback.

There's nothing you can do about it because its on their side they should turn down the sensitivity on their microphones to reduce the "noise".

On the other hand they probably appreciate that you come in with minimal echo as you have the official one.
(Sad but true)

Teknoman

JB1981 said:
Well, I hope the crew we had tonight continues to play because I was just getting in a groove. The current lobby system and user set-up is pretty OK with me. As long as you create your own games, you can stick with the same group of guys for basically as long as you want (just disable auto balancing). I was really quite happy with how smoothly the game ran tonight with 16-20 players on the US servers. No lag at all for me. Nothing. Smooth as butter. Voice chat is clear and consistent as well. I experienced one crash tonight and that's it. As you start to progress the game starts to open itself up and you start to realize just how deep the multiplayer starts to become. I cannot wait to start unlocking new abilities and be able to dig into the meat and potatoes of the game. Aladuf and Third, I hope you stick with the game because I think you will find that it is really quite awesome. I'm still a bit miffed that you can't carry two primary weapons at a given time but I guess I'll have to deal with it.

This is also my biggest gripe with the SP campaign, which so far has been pretty damn awesome. The AI is the real standout to me. And the enemy hit reactions are just brutal at times. A lot of people have criticized the game for being claustrophobic and corrider shooterish but I believe there is nothing wrong with a game that does tight and intense gunplay well. This usually requires narrow corridor design and the game puts the player into some harrowing firefights. The atmosphere and lighting is just intoxicating as well. I am really quite impressed with the level of polish on display here. You can tell this is Sony's baby - how amazing would it be to get games at this high a production value all the time from Sony? Anyway, I'm exhausted - hope to see you guys on again this weekend. We should start some Killzone Wednesdays or Tuesdays or something. Get all the GAFFERS together and have a ball .....

Its going to be insane once we all start mixing classes. GAF clans need to finish coming together though.

mYm|17|

careksims said:

right on that part too..............very frustrating part to say the least

bigswords

I maxed out my multiplayer rank in about 10 hours worth of playing a mixture of random matches, human vs AI and friend matches.

For those who are complaining of lack of co-op (yes wished the campaign had co-op). But you can set a match, put all the bots on one side, and let your friends come and join the opposite side. Bot level at veteran were pretty good , they are smart using chokepoints, but what impressed me was that when I was a tactician and dropped a spawn nade, the AI Engineer dropped a turret next to it :( Plus they are a great source of points for those who want to grind quickly.

Played online with a random group of players and i threw a spawn nade through a window above where the enemy players were holding the whole team at a chokepoint, I shouted loudly"go to spawn nade", players near me must have communicated to their squad mates and in less then a minute a group of five players were in that position and took out the enemies holding the choke point. I felt like a hero for like 5 seconds, then I was taken out by a sniper :(

Great fun, but I dont think next time they should put these classes as unlocks. Just worried for the players who can't get through to at least medic would just think it's just a CS/COD4 clone.

Top Bottom