• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Dementia

Is there a Gaf multiplayer room open?

I just played a bunch of the SP campaign, and I think I'm getting to the end. I wanna check out MP for a bit though. Awesome, awesome game so far.:D

JB1981

bigswords said:
I maxed out my multiplayer rank in about 10 hours worth of playing a mixture of random matches, human vs AI and friend matches.

For those who are complaining of lack of co-op (yes wished the campaign had co-op). But you can set a match, put all the bots on one side, and let your friends come and join the opposite side. Bot level at veteran were pretty good , they are smart using chokepoints, but what impressed me was that when I was a tactician and dropped a spawn nade, the AI Engineer dropped a turret next to it :( Plus they are a great source of points for those who want to grind quickly.

Played online with a random group of players and i threw a spawn nade through a window above where the enemy players were holding the whole team at a chokepoint, I shouted loudly"go to spawn nade", players near me must have communicated to their squad mates and in less then a minute a group of five players were in that position and took out the enemies holding the choke point. I felt like a hero for like 5 seconds, then I was taken out by a sniper :(

Great fun, but I dont think next time they should put these classes as unlocks. Just worried for the players who can't get through to at least medic would just think it's just a CS/COD4 clone.

Yea I think it's a pretty big risk - let's see how it pans out.

Bought the game today. After a few hours of single-player, I decided to try out multiplayer. (I choose Skirmish, though. For some reason I couldn't connect to PSN.) Even playing against bots, I thought it was really, really fun.

A few questions, though.

- Can I unlock different classes in Skirmish mode? I really want to try out the Engineer and Saboteur.

- Is there a way to destroy enemy spawn points? It's tough to plant the bomb sometimes when they have a spawn point right inside of the room.

- For those who've played the beta: is there any chance of the Scout and C4-planting class (forgot the name) being overpowered? I watched the GT trailer with the C4, and it seemed kind of difficult to spot the explosives. Also, I don't want the game to turn into a snipe-fest once everybody unlocks the Scout.

- Is there any real difference between the ISA and Helghast starting rifles? Damage-wise, I mean? For some reason I prefer the latter.

Thanks, guys.

Dirtbag

rexor0717 said:
Well, its really a close/medium range gun. While the standard rifles are more of a medium/long range gun.

What he means is, why would you ever waste time using the SMG over the shotgun.
It pretty much dominates close / mid range entirely, rendering the SMG pretty useless.

The SMG should have had a damage boost and less distance accuracy for balance. It really serves little purpose as far as I can tell.

Zeliard

JB1981 said:
Yea I think it's a pretty big risk - let's see how it pans out.

It could end up being a great move since it could entice players to unlock those ranks, which means to keep playing. Could also end up giving the wrong impression of what the game's really like, though. Guess we'll see.

JB1981

Dirtbag said:
It pretty much dominates close / mid range entirely, rendering the SMG pretty useless.

The SMG should have had a damage boost and less distance accuracy for balance. It really serves little purpose as far as I can tell.
higher rate of fire, greater spread at long distance - shotgun takes a pretty considerable time to reload if you don't get that first shot in perfectly ....

Nikorasu

Wow it's been a long time since I've extensively played an fps on a console. I'm really sorry you guys have to regularly deal with this aggravation. It's manageable and I've gotten much better, but damn if it isn't constantly painful. That aside, I loved it. The last battle was a neverending stream of suck (I have no idea why these game always pull the same shit), but everything leading up to that was golden.
Pushing the Higs back to the main entrance and hearing "There are NO MORE REINFORCEMENTS! We're screwed!" was really satisfying.
In the end, killed about 800 Higs and died (sadly) 40 times. Other than the last fight the
rooftop ATAC(?)
fight was where I died the most. It took a while before I realized I could get off that little platform and use more than that single pillar as cover. :|
Story was decent enough, and if nothing else the last half certainly kept me interested to see it through. I was surprised
by just who and how many they killed off

Will definitely play through it again, and the MP is good enough to keep me playing for a while I think. If I could play with a mouse this would definitely be MP game of the forever.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dirtbag said:

I don't like the shotgun at all. The recoil is insane and if you miss, you're done. So I stick with the SMG and stay midrange. There, balance.

Zeliard

JB1981 said:
higher rate of fire, greater spread at long distance - shotgun takes a pretty considerable time to reload if you don't get that first shot in perfectly ....

SMG is definitely the better choice in that large desert level, between the two.

Dirtbag said:
I'm getting double and triple kills with the shotgun like its going out of style. Even better if they have a medic nearby. I'll just keep dropping them. I absolutely love the shotgun... its one of my new favorite MP shotguns.

Haven't gotten to that rank yet, but if it feels anything like the SP shotgun, I can't disagree.

Dirtbag

JB1981 said:

I'm getting double and triple kills with the shotgun like its going out of style. Even better if they have a medic nearby. I'll just keep dropping them. I absolutely love the shotgun... its one of my new favorite MP shotguns.

bigswords

Dirtbag said:

You can get close in the smaller maps as a saboteur, and closeness with high rof = quick death. As a rifleman I would only recommend the SMG in close quarters maps if you do not the shotgun.

In middle/long range, ISA rifle is king.

Dirtbag

bigswords said:
You can get close in the smaller maps as a saboteur, and closeness with high rof = quick death. As a rifleman I would only recommend the SMG in close quarters maps if you do not the shotgun.

In middle/long range, ISA rifle is king.

Can the saboteur carry a shotgun?
If so, that's going to be my love affair, I really can't wait to unlock that badge.

I'm a total shotgun whore in most MP games. I greatly prefer it even vs. something like a sniper class. I just hate sitting back and picking people off, its not my style.

bigswords

Dirtbag said:
If so, that's going to be my love affair, I really can't wait to unlock that badge.

I'm a total shotgun whore in most MP games. I greatly prefer it even vs. something like a sniper class. I just hate sitting back and picking people off, its not my style.

No saboteur can only use the SMG and sidearm and nothing else.

If you want to be a shotgun whore , best to be an engineer, even if you can't build turrets due to the max of 4 turrets at least you can repair (must ding the ribbon of kill 5 people with turret IAR x 8) ammo boxes or other player turrets, more useful then a rifleman holding a shotgun

Zeliard

Dirtbag said:

If you don't wanna go the wimpy route, you could always go for the Assault class and get that double armor. :p

No need to be sneaky with the Saboteur, you could just run up to someone and shotgun them in the face with Assault.

There's no way I'm not sniping in this game, though. It's way too fun. Not to mention the cloaking. The awesome, awesome cloaking.

Dirtbag

bigswords said:
No saboteur can only use the SMG and sidearm and nothing else.

If you want to be a shotgun whore , best to be an engineer, even if you can't build turrets due to the max of 4 turrets at least you can repair (must ding the ribbon of kill 5 people with turret IAR x 8) ammo boxes or other player turrets, more useful then a rifleman holding a shotgun

Hmm, I guess I've found my use for the SMG after all.
Engineer and shotgun will be fun.

Puck

Banned
Zeliard said:
There's no way I'm not sniping in this game, though. It's way too fun. Not to mention the cloaking. The awesome, awesome cloaking.
But it's so hard not to shoot stupid team mates who run in front of you when you are shooting / stand in door ways / dance around the enemy when they are shooting at them.

bigswords

Zeliard said:
If you don't wanna go the wimpy route, you could always go for the Assault class and get that double armor. :p

No need to be sneaky with the Saboteur, you could just run up to someone and shotgun them in the face with Assault.

Assault does not have the option to spawn with shotgun, only nade launcher and 2 types of rocket launcher. No LMGs as well :(

Awntawn

Phaethon0017 said:
I see two vehicles, I try to enter them but there's no button to press or anything. Dunno what's going on. I've restarted from the checkpoint a dozen times, it looks like I'll have to replay that part all over again. I turned off the PS3 because it was getting hot, dunno where it'll put me now...
You actually have to wait awhile for a buggy to drive up. It was actually quite weird on my run when I did it, I was waiting around, wondering what was going on, then suddenly I died. Turns out the buggy drove up and ran me over :lol
SnakeXs said:
Wow talk about ratting someone out, over nothing. -_-
Alas, nothing personal. But it still ain't right ;o

Valcrist

Played through the first chapter and a little bit of MP. Some of those MP maps are absolutely amazing. Like I said before, I loved 2142 and this just feels like that even more polished and taken to the console.

Got to play with some of GAF too...i actually got to hear Kittowny talk.=o

bigswords

Puck said:
But it's so hard not to shoot stupid team mates who run in front of you when you are shooting / stand in door ways / dance around the enemy when they are shooting at them.

Snipers are best used in the huge maps, where you can kill from afar, in the tight close quarter combat, only certain areas are useful for them to camp. If nothing else, use a sniper cloak and be forward listening post and let your squad mates spawn to you.

Zeliard

Puck said:

Yeah, that happens. When I unlock the sniper class I'm gonna look for secluded spots in more open levels.

bigswords said:
Assault does not have the option to spawn with shotgun, only nade launcher and 2 types of rocket launcher. No LMGs as well :(

Boooo. :p

I thought Assault was able to carry the most types of weapons (guess I mixed it up with Rifleman), so I figured that included shotgun. Is it just the Rifleman and Engineer who can carry it? Scout?

Do you have to get both badges with a class before you can use the next class? I noticed that I had one more healing master pin (or whatever) to get before I had got all 8 for that medal when i unlocked engineer. The next map started up, and I could not select engineer. I got the medal on that round, then the following round I could select the engineer.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I love this game, but i cant really see this as a truly competitive game. 90% of the time i'm playing online, i feel like i killed someone by accident, and not by skill.

bigswords

Zeliard said:
Couldn't another solution have been to make it so that killing bots doesn't give you any EXP, and also limited it so that each side has to have the same number of bots?

The best solution is to allow any EXP from bots till the rank of General, and allow the unlocking of ribbons and medals. After from that on just stop.

Alternatively, just do not count the EXP from bots in the leaderboards.

I still think allowing players to play with their friends against bots to get their abilities will be something like co-op. Plus it's a good tutorial to all the game types as the bots are really quite good with their tactics.

If you dont have bots and you to grind to get the classes and equipment it is going to be really really frustrating, just ask any Engineer who is trying to unlock the turret kill medal.

Stench said:
oh my god

i love this fucking game

SpudBud said:
You know, this game fucking rocks.

I have been playing all day today. Got about 70% done with the
single player campaign and I jumped online for about 4 hours.
I absolutely love this game. The gameplay the graphics OMG THE GRAPHICS!
and the helghast have made this one of my favorite FPS games of
all time.

I just fricken love this game though.

One thing that I find very perplexing though.

This game encourages playing with your friends. It encourages
getting together the perfect team of people with varying abilities.
So you get this perfect team together and go to play online
and all end up on different teams :(

WTF

Is there really no way to keep your party together when you
go into a online game?

nib95

Banned
careksims said:
Playing on Veteran. Everything was awesome until the
Raddick Fight. The part that I'm stuck on is when you get on the 2nd balcony. There's just no real cover and they take quite a bunch to kill. I can make it to the 3rd wave and once to the rocket guys but gah. Rico is no use at all. He doesn't kill anyone and just dies too quickly!

Any tips? Most of my deaths is to this part.

Yeap. What you do is stay on the second floor on the far left right at the front (behind some rubble). It acts as semi cover and you can quickly dart in and out to pick off the rocketeers who will be much closer to you if you stand here. Just constantly keep moving, even if you have to sometimes run back to the rear (still on the second floor).

You can if you want run to the second floor far right at the front, to pick off the rocketeers on the right side, but be warned, the cover here is not nearly as good. It's better advised to pick off the rocketeers on the right side from the front/left area. Also, if you don't get an immediate shot on them, run or hide. They will blast you away in a single shot. The only way you'll succeed is if you get off some shots on them before you fire, once you get just a shot or two on them they will lose balance and start reacting (hit detection). You want to keep them like this until they are dead, so they don't even get a chance to react. Be quick, and like I said, move around constantly.

RavenFox

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:

WTF

go into a online game?
yeah hopefully they patch this soon. hmm what was that 1.11 patch for?

Zeliard

BruceLeeRoy said:

WTF

go into a online game?

I think you have to turn auto-balance off.

teiresias

Well, judging by the info I get from the Amazon tracking page, it seems UPS left my copy of Killzone 2 sitting outside my apartment door. Here's hoping it's still there by the time I get back on Sunday. *sigh*

Zeliard

BruceLeeRoy said:
Do you mean if I create my own game?

RavenFox said:
?? to stay with team mates?

Yeah. I haven't tried it myself, but I think the option's there. And if you turn it off, players shouldn't be switching sides after every game.

Not positive about this, though.

Just checked it, it's called "faction balancing". Guess you either have to make your own game or join a server that has it off.

I just tried to create a custom game and add some bot but
it didn't let me press left or right on the amount of bots
options. Any ideas?

Zeliard said:
Yeah. I haven't tried it myself, but I think the option's there. And if you turn it off, players shouldn't be switching sides after every game.

Not positive about this, though.

Just checked it, it's called "faction balancing". Guess you either have to make your own game or join a server that has it off.

Sweet Ill try that.

nib95

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
How come when I create a online game I cant add ai
bots?

Do you mean if I create my own game?

Yeap. If you are with a band of friends, create your own game (choose custom setting and options to set AI bots etc) and turn auto team balancing off. That way you can all be on the same team.

Top Bottom