• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Victrix

*beard*
I don't know if its a deadzone on the ps3 controller (tried two), the analog sticks, the game, the fps, the motion blur, the sensitivity (tried multiples), or what, but I simply cannot get comfortable with the aiming in multiplayer. It feels sloppy, mushy, and imprecise :/

iceatcs

Yeaaah! I can join new meme.

spanner%2048%20Icon.jpg
THIS
poo_icon.gif
!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Hmmm... about the stats padding with bots issues.

I think the easiest way to fix it is to just have stats not recording in games with bots in it. They already have this system in place. When you play alone with bots, a message appears notifying you are not getting any xp. Just make it so that instead of checking whether there is one or more players, the system checks whether there is one or more bots. Fixed.

Spoo

lol, it's been a fucking blast playing some of the GAFFers in MP :D ([GAFw]reeducator here).

This game is officially the best MP game I've ever played. There's just so much too it, and it keeps evolving :D

Since the fucking goddamn servers went down I was forced to play SP for a bit; it's more awesome than I can explain but... MP is where it's at :O

Facism

CalamityDaunt said:
Visari Square - Veteran - fucking hard :lol :lol

It's really satisfying how aggressive the enemies are in that section. They know they have superior numbers, so they push all around the section and bottle you in. If you don't deal with it quickly you're looking at constant buddy revivals and death.

I fucking loved Visari square. Such a brilliant battle.

Spoo

Victrix said:
I don't know if its a deadzone on the ps3 controller (tried two), the analog sticks, the game, the fps, the motion blur, the sensitivity (tried multiples), or what, but I simply cannot get comfortable with the aiming in multiplayer. It feels sloppy, mushy, and imprecise :/

Okay, my only recommendation here is to realize that it plays the exact same for everyone else, and everyone else takes a long time getting use to the controls. Nudge the stick, don't tug it. Zoom in only if they're standing still and you know you can make the shot (some people who've had a LOT of time in MP can disregard this). When you can't make the shot with your aim, try strafing and shooting; sometimes all you need to get the shot is to realign your body (thus making you harder to hit) instead of your aim!

There's a LOT to the combat in this game, and that's why I'm loving it. Most of all, don't get discouraged. It takes a while to get used to things :} KILLZONE 2 is NOT a run-and-gun shooter. You can't play it like you played Quake 3 ;}

-viper-

Banned
Victrix said:
Had the same problem myself. I just stuck with the default controls but eventually, after playing four levels (horridly) in SP, they finally clicked in with me.

A bit annoying though because I didn't find KZ2 particularly enjoyable until now due to my awful aiming.

jax (old)

Banned
CalamityDaunt said:
Visari Square - Veteran - fucking hard :lol :lol

I didn't think veteran was too tough til I got to visari square. jesus christ. I can't imagine playing this on elite. I probably won't. I started playing on Veteran too because having playing the demo + standard game at the sydney show, it was too easy.

careksims said:
Playing on Veteran. Everything was awesome until the
Raddick Fight. The part that I'm stuck on is when you get on the 2nd balcony. There's just no real cover and they take quite a bunch to kill. I can make it to the 3rd wave and once to the rocket guys but gah. Rico is no use at all. He doesn't kill anyone and just dies too quickly!

Any tips? Most of my deaths is to this part.

I am now here. And this bit is kicking my ass... again and again and again... and again. Offffghhhhhh.... I managed to clear wave 1, wave 2 (where they sneak up to the balcony) and then the rocket people come in and game over. so damn tough.

Jax said:
I didn't think veteran was too tough til I got to visari square. jesus christ. I can't imagine playing this on elite. I probably won't. I started playing on Veteran too because having playing the demo + standard game at the sydney show, it was too easy.

I am now here. And this bit is kicking my ass... again and again and again... and again. Offffghhhhhh.... I managed to clear wave 1, wave 2 (where they sneak up to the balcony) and then the rocket people come in and game over. so damn tough.

is this where the statue is?

jax (old)

Banned
Always-honest said:
is this where the statue is?

... um I don't recall the
statue. Its got chandeliers and radec's sends out waves of helghast to wipe out sev+rico. You can run up either side to the 2nd floor balcony and you can get a grenade gun/sniper rifle and kill 2 flamethrower helghasts

so tough. i think I'm pretty good at FPSes but right now, this thing is schooling me big time.

Thrakier

Victrix said:

The deadzone on the ps3 controller is less than on the 360 controller. I guess you are normally only playing 360? In that case it's just normal that you are not used to the controller. I'm switiching a lot between 360 and PS3 and it always takes me some time (f.e. if I play with the 360 one I always think that the sticks are waaaay to stiff, after I got used to it I think ps3 is to loose and so on...). This combined with the fact that the aiming has some accleration to it (so it's intended that it feels a bit sloppy just to slow you down and that you have a more realistisc gun handling) is responsible for your feeling, I guess.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I played a pretty solid round last night for my first ever round, got 1 point away from promotion and some other ribbons. However, after leaving the match, all my stats had disappeared. This morning I wanted to check my stats to see if they have finally registered and I can't log on.

Is it normal for stats to take some time to register?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DenogginizerOS said:
I played a pretty solid round last night for my first ever round, got 1 point away from promotion and some other ribbons. However, after leaving the match, all my stats had disappeared. This morning I wanted to check my stats to see if they have finally registered and I can't log on.

Is it normal for stats to take some time to register?

They register immediately to me. At least the ribbons. As soon as I get one, I go to the website and it's there as well.

Servers are currently down (both game and website).

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
TTP said:
They register immediately to me. At least the ribbons. As soon as I get one, I go to the website and it's there as well.

Servers are currently down (both game and website).
Well, I played about 9 hours ago and after the match, I couldn't find my stats anywhere. Grrrrrr. I went something like 29K:16D and received 29 out of 30 EXP points. Grrrrr.

Sean

Banned
Rez said:
You have that level, then another one and a half to go.

Shit, I thought I was more like half way through, I've been playing probably only 4 hours. Is there any reason the statistics screen doesn't match up with what you're saying? I assume it must calculate all the trophies and stuff towards the completion percentage or something.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sean said:
Shit, I thought I was more like half way through, I've been playing probably only 4 hours. Is there any reason the statistics screen doesn't match up with what you're saying? I assume it must calculate all the trophies and stuff towards the completion percentage or something.
Yeah, it does. My completion percentage was under 50%, IIRC; my play time was around 5 h 20m.

Barrett2

The controls are starting to bug me. No matter what I do with the sliders, it still feels like a dead zone when I am in zoom mode and need to make small adjustments / movements. I am normally Annie Oakley with FPS, but I seem to be shooting a lot of air in this. And it has nothing to do with the gun recoil.

BeeDog

Fucking hell, I got stuck big time at the AA gun part (you guys probably know what I'm talking about) for like an hour. Almost threw the controller right into the TV.

lawblob said:
The controls are starting to bug me. No matter what I do with the sliders, it still feels like a dead zone when I am in zoom mode and need to make small adjustments / movements. I am normally Annie Oakley with FPS, but I seem to be shooting a lot of air in this. And it has nothing to do with the gun recoil.

turn sensitivity.. lower. that might help (not for turning though..)

thaOwner

Man, Guerilla has gotta fix that site. Everything about the game has been mostly positive but I can't believe
they didn't have the right infrastructure in place for this launch.

FIX THIS SHIT GUERILLA.

Timan

Developer
Fire whatever jackass that made these controls. I'm not even gonna be able to flick off the killzone devs after trying to hold down r2 for more than 2 seconds.

Seriously tho, whats with the 20 control schemes if there is something wrong with each one? I can't even do toggle crouch :(

FIX THIS SHIT GUERILLA.

evolution

Game is all kinds of awesome. It definitely brings its own style to the genre. The controls felt weird at first, but its all good now. I really can't think of any other shooter i could compare the controls to, they really belong to killzone and only killzone.

slider

Love it so far. Absolutely love it. But I'm not that far in...

The only negative that I've noticed so far is the reload animations taking up pixel real estate. I just noticed it and found it a little annoying; despite the actual animations being slick as hell and consistent with the immersive feel to the whole experience.

MutFox

Banned
Well, the game is ok,
though I did have an issue with one of the scripted events...
(And yes, I did patch the game)

It was in one of the "Eliminate All Enemies" scenarios,
the game stopped sending out baddies,
and I was stuck in the area for about 10 minutes looking around so i could finish it...
Unfortunately, the script failed.
So I had to kill myself and do it over, the next time, after killing off a few enemies,
enemies busted through a door that didn't open before. :/
(I had to go through the door the enemies opened to proceed)

Anyways, I just
stopped the train
and so far the game feels like a run of the mill scripted FPS, though nice looking.
Hopefully it gets a lot better.

Still haven't played online though, was unable to "populate the universe"
or whatever it says when trying to connect.
Kept getting errors, I guess the servers are getting hammered.

Hopefully I can play online tomorrow...

Negaiido

Timan said:
Fire whatever jackass that made these controls. I'm not even gonna be able to flick off the killzone devs after trying to hold down r2 for more than 2 seconds.

Seriously tho, whats with the 20 control schemes if there is something wrong with each one? I can't even do toggle crouch :(

FIX THIS SHIT GUERILLA.

toggle crouch is possible in MP.

Is there any way to counter those spawn grenades (except for throwing another spawn grenade. :p)? They turn search & destroy missions into complete spamfests.

-Winnie-

Wow, the lightning gun is badass. Certainly overpowered, but it was fun to use.

Also
WTF at Garza's death. Guerilla aren't great at conjuring up sympathy. I didn't really think anything of his death besides, "Didn't he just get shot in the arm?" Oh well... At least the story is getting a bit more interesting.

Sean

Banned
Timan said:

Yeah the lack of toggle crouch is friggen stupid. I can't believe there is a toggle for zoom but not crouch. Had to take breaks throughout the game cause my hands were killing me.

MutFox

Banned
Sean said:
Yeah the lack of toggle crouch is friggen stupid. I can't believe there is a toggle for zoom but not crouch. Had to take breaks throughout the game cause my hands were killing me.

Yeah, that kinda pisses me off too...
No button customization pisses me off a little more though.

Schrade

Fuuuck. The Single Player game sucked me in bigtime. I had to stop playing at 4:10am. The last game to do this to me was Metal Gear Solid 4. Holy crap my eyes ache from the awesome.

I've been playing on Veteran and man, is it frickin' intense! I stopped at the bridge level so I could catch up on this thread and then go to bed.

ilanna said:
So, which map is the smallest?
Probably Blood Gracht.. but that is only from my Beta experience. I haven't seen all the final MP maps yet.

Dead

well not really...yet
Maybe im misunderstanding you guys...but there is a toggle for crouch in the options no? I used it, so once you press the crouch button, you stay crouched instead of having to keep the button pressed. Or are you talking about something else?

Victrix

*beard*
Always-honest said:
turn sensitivity.. lower. that might help (not for turning though..)

Nah, there's a dead zone :( If you very gently nudge the stick, nothing happens, then you push a liiiiitle bit more and you jerk off target. It's really uncomfortable. Lower sens just means that when you do move you can barely turn, high sens is the opposite problem. Neither situation makes for comfortable aiming.

Xater

So will there be a Euro game in the evening? I was not able to participate yet and I need to try out my headset properly. If it sucks I might get the officila one from Sony.

Top Bottom