• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

obaidr

Banned
well just got the game yesterday and i am about an hour in to the game. Had only two deads so it means i am coming along pretty well. The is just the kind of shooter i like. It is intense, it is all about killing and getting killed and without all that shit packed in Farcry 2 for example. Shooters must be like the old space invaders games for me. You get in to the game, kill the first group of alien, kill the boss and go the next stage. You kill the next group of aliens, you kill the next boss and go to the next stage and do the same. All I want are new weapons an different kind of enemys :D

Anyway my dad who is not a gamer at all (he actually never had a controller in his hands) but watches often while i play games made a very good but funny comment today. He been watching me playing KZ2 for about 30 minutes and then he stood up to go away and said "well it is like all the other games of this kind you play, nothing special but it looks very realistic"
He put everything all the reviewers said about this game in just one sentence and he is not even a gamer.

JB1981

One thing that would vastly improve the lobby system - give the creator the ability to make changes to gametypes, map selection, adding/removing bots etc. ON THE FLY. Don't make the creator back out of the server and create an entirely new one. This is fucking stupid. Also is there no way to communicate with your entire team once you are in a squad? In Resistance 1 and 2 if you held down, like left on the d-pad, you could speak to your entire team (you know, those players OUTSIDE of your squad!) This, I do not understand.

Also hold zoom in SP is only viable if you have absolutely no desire to use cover (which is essential to survival). Kinda hard to hold L1 and L2 at the same time ya know......

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Gibbo said:
What is up with this "Fix this shit Guerrilla" thing that everybody is saying?

Anyway, was on my best kill tally for the day - 23, when I got disconnected (Error 3005) i think. First disconnect for the day. *Pissed*
Stupid meme that'll die soon anyway, don't pay attention to it. :)

Raist said:
Yay! But that was to be expected. :D Launch party was pretty great.

JB1981

Even though this game takes a giant SHIT on Resistance 2, that game got the online set-up much better and in much less time - parties, matchmaking, user-created games etc. I really miss my parties and I'd rather leave team balancing on because people can be major fucktards about what side they want in on.

Geoff9920

Man, I would have played longer if my game wouldn't have frozen, losing those ~50 points sucked. Anyway, fun game, but getting friends together to play needs to get much easier.

obaidr

Banned
they had about 1.5 mil. preorders in europe only. This will be #1 in every single EU country just like GT5:p did back in the days. They will have about 2 mil. just in EU after the first week. That is no question.

keyrat

The best part about the multi, from the little I've played, is how tactical it can be. I love how an entire team sticks together because of how the maps are laid out. It almost feels like the FPS equivalent of MGO.

Kittonwy

Banned
keyrat said:
The best part about the multi, from the little I've played, is how tactical it can be. I love how an entire team sticks together because of how the maps are laid out. It almost feels like the FPS equivalent of MGO.

Squad spawns and spawn points are really useful in Killzone 2. >:p

Kittonwy

Banned
JB1981 said:
One thing that would vastly improve the lobby system - give the creator the ability to make changes to gametypes, map selection, adding/removing bots etc. ON THE FLY. Don't make the creator back out of the server and create an entirely new one. This is fucking stupid. Also is there no way to communicate with your entire team once you are in a squad? In Resistance 1 and 2 if you held down, like left on the d-pad, you could speak to your entire team (you know, those players OUTSIDE of your squad!) This, I do not understand.

Also hold zoom in SP is only viable if you have absolutely no desire to use cover (which is essential to survival). Kinda hard to hold L1 and L2 at the same time ya know......

Use toggle for L1 aiming, just snap in and snap out, I never got hold to aim anyway in Killzone 2 because you can't just L1 lock-on so you would need to take your time if you're going to zoom anyway.

JB1981

Kittonwy said:
Use toggle for L1 aiming, just snap in and snap out, I never got hold to aim anyway in Killzone 2 because you can't just L1 lock-on so you would need to take your time if you're going to zoom anyway.
I just use R3

jax (old)

Banned
Omg I can't beat the portion of the game I'm stuck at. Holy shit!!!!! It's just too tough and I autosaved with no grenades... :(

Helppppppp!

KZObsessed

Jax said:
Omg I can't beat the portion of the game I'm stuck at. Holy shit!!!!! It's just too tough and I autosaved with no grenades... :(

Helppppppp!

Well... tell us which bit!

JB1981 said:
Btw what did they do to Radec Academy? It's slot uglier than the beta

It seems a lot brighter to me. It actually got to me to realise I needed to reduce the gamma, for some reason it was too high at default.

Blood Gracht tho, holy fuck what an upgrade. Looks gorgeous.

Dunlop

I got in really late so only played for a few minutes (slighlty drunk), but do you have to go through all those screens each time you go online?

keyrat

BTW, Am I the only one that can't see a helghan symbol in the gamma control at any level? It just shows up a dark box, and it gets brighter as I move the slider, but I don't see any helghan symbol.

I have a Panny plasma 42". Either way the game looks fine, I just wonder if my TV can't display that color or what.

AllGamer

keyrat said:
BTW, Am I the only one that can't see a helghan symbol in the gamma control at any level? It just shows up a dark box, and it gets brighter as I move the slider, but I don't see any helghan symbol.

I have a Panny plasma 42". Either way the game looks fine, I just wonder if my TV can't display that color or what.

Disable the PS3 Full RGB Setting

I suck so damn much in MP... but it's so fun.

Is it normal to get killed so freakin easily? Probably more 'realistic', but in Resistance I at least felt like I had a chance... :(

Dragnet

HOLY JESUS NUGGETS

So I've just been playing multiplayer the past few hours, and it really, and I really mean really, has clicked with me. I'm now able to beat pretty much anyone in a 1 on 1, and do well in group situations. I've discovered it's more about strafing and keeping the reticule at head level. I also just managed to unlock the Medic badge and now...it's like....I have a purpose! Nobody else in the game had a badge, and I was the only medic. As soon as they realised it was non stop calls for the medic :D I love love love being a medic! I ended up with 107 points, 2nd place had 56 :D Infact that one game as medic was so successful that I'm only 50 or so points away from the next rank already! I also just unlocked the extra grenades medal and the extra ammo medal. I am suited and booted to rock gentlemen :D

Now, wheres that Euro GAF clan invite? :D

I just wanna say though...being a medic will make you feel like shit! You're in the middle of a tight bottleneck situation, teammates falling all around you and you can only revive one! AAAH! Moral dilemma! You feel like a bastard healing one, but having to watch all the others die slowly...:(

FabCam

keyrat said:

Same. I just adjest it then go out of pause to see how it looks. Go back into options, change it. Repeat until it looks good. :D

rexor0717

This game is incredibly amazing on all fronts...and I thought R2 was great.
I am still astonished at how good it looks. I haven't played the singleplayer much, but only because I want to take my time.
The online is deliciously fun. I can see myself sinking a lot of time in here, especially with wGAF! Speaking of wGAF, I was on from pretty much 4:00pm and up, and no one was ever online. :(
Seep said:
Why can't the SP controls be the same as the vastly superior MP. Retarded decision IMO.
They are the same except for crouch toggle.

Mik2121

Dragnet said:
HOLY JESUS NUGGETS

So I've just been playing multiplayer the past few hours, and it really, and I really mean really, has clicked with me. I'm now able to beat pretty much anyone in a 1 on 1, and do well in group situations. I've discovered it's more about strafing and keeping the reticule at head level. I also just managed to unlock the Medic badge and now...it's like....I have a purpose! Nobody else in the game had a badge, and I was the only medic. As soon as they realised it was non stop calls for the medic :D I love love love being a medic! I ended up with 107 points, 2nd place had 56 :D Infact that one game as medic was so successful that I'm only 50 or so points away from the next rank already! I also just unlocked the extra grenades medal and the extra ammo medal. I am suited and booted to rock gentlemen :D

Now, wheres that Euro GAF clan invite? :D

I just wanna say though...being a medic will make you feel like shit! You're in the middle of a tight bottleneck situation, teammates falling all around you and you can only revive one! AAAH! Moral dilemma! You feel like a bastard healing one, but having to watch all the others die slowly...:(
I know what you mean. Now I'm Major and when I play other matches everybody is around the same level and it's like every single person out there is a medic, which is cool because once you die chances are someone will revive you.

Seep

rexor0717 said:
This game is incredibly amazing on all fronts...and I thought R2 was great.
I am still astonished at how good it looks. I haven't played the singleplayer much, but only because I want to take my time.
The online is deliciously fun. I can see myself sinking a lot of time in here, especially with wGAF! Speaking of wGAF, I was on from pretty much 4:00pm and up, and no one was ever online. :(

They are the same except for crouch toggle.

No the speed of the actual movement including aiming is much better.

FFObsessed said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14945399&postcount=7803

Played online til 5am... now I feel like shit. Just got up, urgh. I know what will cure me tho... moar Killzone!

"one-eight-seven on that motherfucking hig!"

:lol :lol :lol

more_cowbell.jpg

BeeDog

For the ones who have tested both modes; is there a big difference between upscaled 1080p/1080i/whatever and regular 720p? My PS3 is using solely 1080p at the moment, and the image quality looks a little bit rough in a strange way.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I haven't posted impressions since I'm not done with the SP yet but this has been a rollercoaster of a ride. Fixing your control scheme and sticking to it makes it great very little into the game. I was on of those people who went ALT2 in the demo. I went ST1 and love it. The only awkward thing is the sniper zoom.

The visuals are pretty much unrivaled. Animation and lighting detail is incredible. I really wish there was a slow-mo feature to take in all that's happening. The AI has been pretty damn awesome. So many different tactics.

I'm playing on veteran and have run into some bottlenecks but that's what has made this so fun.

Once you get used to the controls, this game takes off. I'm reading some of the impressions in this thread. How can some people complain and call this generic or alright? GG's has put in so much effort and it really shows. Playing this has been a rush. The immersion and sense of danger is so good. Very few games convey this sense to this degree.

That's about it for now. MP will have to wait a little longer since I'm juggling this and Star Ocean. It's been pretty amazing so far though and I'm only on the 5th chapter.

Finished the single player already on standard, good game. Was finding it all a bit too easy on this setting at first but it gets tough enough later on to keep you on the edge of your seat. Was glad I went for this difficulty first on a few parts of the game.

Already gone through the first two levels on elite and the added difficulty really makes you have to keep moving and trying to get on their flanks. About the ai, I wouldn't say its as clever as some are making out, but it is incredibly fun to fight against thanks to the way they move around so much and respond to you flanking them. The encounters in the game are mostly really well designed in that you have multiple ways to approach them.

I really loved the sniper rifle with the way you could fine tune your aim via sixaxis movements. Was having lots of trouble sniping until I started doing it. I actually wish you could do that with all the weapons when using ironsights\scope. Anyway, time to play some more!

Top Bottom