• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

sykoex said:
swxnb9.png

:bow gamefly

Dangit. I looked at my Gamefly and I could have sworn I took it off since I split it with a friend but it looks like it's shipping to me.

The one time I get a launch game through Gamefly and it's one I already own. :lol

KZObsessed

I love how Visari's speech/intro plays every time you load up the game! :lol

Never gonna get old for me.

JB1981 said:
I have found Veteran to be fairly easy so far. The checkpoints are very liberal in the game too (which I like).

I had pretty much no problem on Veteran up until a certain part on the last level. Then I was almost pulling my hair out... but goddamn was it satisfying when I got past it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
JB1981 said:
I have found Veteran to be fairly easy so far. The checkpoints are very liberal in the game too (which I like).
That's what has made dying less frustration. Only 2 areas have caused me to die repeatedly but otherwise it's felt like normal difficulty.

bought played, SP first act. Thought it was awesome, i fucking hate all the motion blur at the slightest movement. Will probably dig deep into sp today and mp next week. love the single shot rifle.

Dragnet

Discovering the medic is like an epiphany.

Calls for new avatar. And I'll ask again...pretty please invite me into EuroGAF clan! I'm on the list, but I am yet to receive an invite! :D

Ephemeris

FFObsessed said:
I go to sleep and I drop 2000 places on the leaderboards.... never again.
Ouch.

Highest rank I ever attained was 79. Last night I was at 89, woke up to 119 and currently at 122.

I wonder when the damn week "ends" .

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Working on the last mission and, without saying much, holy shit is it hard.

I love the fact that they decided to create a combat focused final mission, however. I'm getting tired of shooters that feel the need to do something completely unrelated to the core gameplay in the final stretches. Virtually every major shooter that has been released in the last few years has featured just such a scenario. Killzone 2, however, amps things up like I did not expect. It's very much akin to Gears Horde mode. You basically have to work forward and take enemy territory while fighting through increasingly diverse and difficult enemy waves. I was literally ducking my head when they sent out the RPG brigade. I was sitting there with my sniper rifle in cover trying to pick them off with the smoke clogging my view while RPG rounds are detonating just behind me. It's incredibly intense. The final level is long as hell too. I had to take a quick break. It's the one point in the game that does not liberally award checkpoints to the player, however. They really force you to clear massive waves of enemies before handing one out forcing you to stay perfect, keep moving, and watch your back. There were times when I'd suddenly hear what sounded like someone running up on me in the rear speakers only to turn around and find a Helghast charging me with his knife (and succeeding once or twice). They really make the AI seem desperate in these final stretches.

LiquidMetal14 said:
That's what has made dying less frustration. Only 2 areas have caused me to die repeatedly but otherwise it's felt like normal difficulty.
The final mission is going to kick your ass, I'd imagine. :D

How do you lower the bridge after clearing the grenade spammers? I've covered every inch of this space and can't find anything to trigger it.

thaOwner

AnnSwag said:
Killzone 2 Major Hype, Bad Launch

http://www.hiphopgamershow.com/?p=4109

I wonder how could that be?
Oh that's easy. Its because Sony marketing team is possibly worse out of the other two competitors with Microsoft
being the best. They started 'properly' marketing the game like less than a wekk before the game launch.
You would think, they would actually dominate the tv space with this being one of their biggest exclusive and all
but hell nah.

h3ro

Loudninja said:

Sony just informed us that the sale of Killzone 2 (included in the kits of the PS3) in Poland since the launch has exceeded 30 thousand units. 15 thousand per day? Very nice result. Congratulations!

Until I checked the Halo 3 went 2 years ago. From Microsoft's press release indicates that the opening was 4 thousand pieces.

Wow.

Barrett2

Originally Posted by CheapyD:
My friend who works for GameStop just got back from Killzone 2 midnight launch. 4 copies sold. Halo 3, 104 copies.

Umm, thats not good. Even if GS didn't hype the midnight launch, the numbers shouldn't be that bad.

There will be anecdotal info flying out of people's asses the next few weeks, NPD will be wild.

- Played my first round of MP an hour ago. So awesome...

elohel

beat the game this morning around 2am lol

great game, i really liked the ending........did anyone else dig it?

ending i mean

suuuuuuch a good game, now off to multiplayer!

lol

Well, I bought into the hype and picked this up on my way home from work yesterday. Is it gorgeous? Hell yes, of course it is. I'm still not a big fan of the super dark overly dirty look that most sci-fi FPS games seem to be taking these days, but it does fit the mood.

My major concern is the story and character development. I remember playing KZ1 for a couple hours and not caring for it, which is probably the boat many other people are in. Considering the amount of time and energy spent into creating this sequel, and the enormous hype surrounding it, you'd think Guerrilla would be smart enough to reintroduce the story, background, characters and plot. Thus far, it's a good FPS...but I just don't know why I'm killing these guys.

Say what you want, but it's not my job as a gamer to search for the story here. I shouldn't have to read guides, wikis or replay the first game to have a clue as to what's going on. I think the gameplay thus far is absolutely typical of the genre, and unless something radical happens after the first 2 levels (which I just completed) I'm going to leave this game as another overly hyped industry typical genre piece...

Sean

Banned
Final level (
balcony segment with the rocket guys
) is a total pain in the ass. It's got some Call of Duty style infinite re-spawning bullshit (at least it feels that way) and your AI partner seems to get completely fucking retarded all of a sudden. Argh, will try again later.

GodofWine

Sensitivity minus 1 + Helghast assault rifle + not relying on iron sights as much = I no longer aim like a drunken fool

I think as I get better and better (or less worse and less worse) I'll be able to slowly move up the sensitivity..then its time (for me or you) to die!

jax (old)

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Well... tell us which bit!

It seems a lot brighter to me. It actually got to me to realise I needed to reduce the gamma, for some reason it was too high at default.

Blood Gracht tho, holy fuck what an upgrade. Looks gorgeous.

stuck at radec's 2nd wave - balcony attack on veteran
HOLYSHIT. It is so tough, no matter how I go at it, rico dies and I get flanked on the balcony. I must have tried this 50+ times and I kept dying. Finally turned off the PS3 before I threw the controller at the screen or died of a heart attack! Even if I survive the balcony rush, when the rocket launchers come, fucked fucked fucked. I'll try it some more later but if it don't work I wonder if I can go to an easier difficulty setting. :S

If this is that tough on veteran, I'm guessing it'd be impossible on elite. All I can say is HOLYSHIT!

KZObsessed

Jax said:
stuck at radec's 2nd wave - balcony attack on veteran
HOLYSHIT. It is so tough, no matter how I go at it, rico dies and I get flanked on the balcony. I must have tried this 50+ times and I kept dying. Finally turned off the PS3 before I threw the controller at the screen or died of a heart attack! Even if I survive the balcony rush, when the rocket launchers come, fucked fucked fucked. I'll try it some more later but if it don't work I wonder if I can go to an easier difficulty setting. :S

If this is that tough on veteran, I'm guessing it'd be impossible on elite. All I can say is HOLYSHIT!

Exact same bit, and only bit that pissed me the fuck off. Basically what I did was...
Went straight up to the second floor when Rico told me to. Killed the two Flamethrower guys with an SMG. Picked up the Helghast Assault rifle and basically just sat in a corner. Usually the far right corner where the flamethrower guy was. Picked off the first group down below. next wave, they're a few who flank you from either side so I'd just wait in the corner and blow them away when they came down the sides. Also the wall that's on fire can set them a blaze sometimes. Then the next wave with the shock troopers that come right at you I did the same. All the time you must revive Rico as soon as he goes down. Then when the rocket launcher assholes come, someone suggested using the Grenade Launcher, which worked wonders. At that point I ran to where the stairs were on the left hand side and I remained up top, and just spammed grenade rounds at them. If you hit the torches with one they cause a bigger explosion because of a gas canister in them. Managed to kill the last one that way. Then I just picked off the guys below and then you get the checkpoint. *phew*

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finished it! The ending was actually really good. Very difficult final level. I checked the mission select and it seems that the final area of the last level took me 46 minutes to finish!

Overall, according to the stats, my final playtime is just over 8 hours on normal.

Can't wait to replay it!

Holyshit at the bridge.

Visuals, audio, ai and fire fight are all awesome. Killzone 2.
The game really takes off at the bridge. Everything prior to that was solid, but didn't really grab me, but playing through the bridge until the end was just fantastic.

Thrakier

The complaining about the controls got really out of hand. I don't know who's the guy who startet that input lag lie but he really really damaged GG with it. It's annoying.

Barrett2

Based on my brief online play this morning, my only concern is that there will be too much going on. Its all a bit overwhelming at first. I finished in the top 5 in both games, which was surprising since I had only played the game a few hours before jumping online. It irritates me that people play online without even being competent aiming the damn gun, seems like a sloppy way to play.

I also can't believe the shitty quality of the voice chat I hear. Halo 3 was always crisp and competent, so far in my matches its all random static, shitty background rap music, and the ocassional incoherent yelling. I need to sign up for a GAF clan.

alba

Little is the new Big
Ok so, the tournament to win a chance to play GG starts tomorrow and we need to practice (euroGAF!) so I'd suggest we get together tonight and just play around maps and make some strategies? what you guys think?

Here's the gaf clanpage (so you can apply or just request an invite)
http://killzone2.ps3.consolegaming.eu/stats.php?id=215

Here's the tournament chart:
http://killzone2.ps3.consolegaming.eu/tournaments.php?id=120

Our first match is against =UA=!
Let me know so we can arrange something and fixing stuff with Dunpeald too.

We need to make sure we got enough players and what not (you need to be eligible and it takes 24hours so please hurry up and let us know if you aren't registered on consolegaming.eu! Let's do this!

lawblob said:
Based on my brief online play this morning, my only concern is that there will be too much going on. Its all a bit overwhelming at first. I finished in the top 5 in both games, which was surprising since I had only played the game a few hours before jumping online. It irritates me that people play online without even being competent aiming the damn gun, seems like a sloppy way to play.

I also can't believe the shitty quality of the voice chat I hear. Halo 3 was always crisp and competent, so far in my matches its all random static, shitty background rap music, and the ocassional incoherent yelling. I need to sign up for a GAF clan.
Part of that voice issue is what microphone people are using. It's very easy to pick out folks who bought the official headset, they're the ones that you can actually hear and understand, and don't sound like they're talking in the middle of a firecracker factory explosion.

Barrett2

Winterblink said:
Part of that voice issue is what microphone people are using. It's very easy to pick out folks who bought the official headset, they're the ones that you can actually hear and understand, and don't sound like they're talking in the middle of a firecracker factory explosion.

I figure I will just have to get used to quickly muting the static noisemakers & rap blasters each round. Annoying, but I guess inevitable.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
The multiplayer is amazing. I only do body count but I had a blast yesterday playing.

I just need to rank up to unlock the good classes.

what's the best tip on firing?

I think tapping the button works well, when I hold it down I cant seem to hit the target it makes me mad.

How effective is melee?

They hit a grand slam with the multiplayer.

I dont care for the campaign tbh.

I use alt 2 control scheme with zoom toggle.

I just wish I could use left stick to crouch and l2 to run.

raYne

Thrakier said:
The complaining about the controls got really out of hand. I don't know who's the guy who startet that input lag lie but he really really damaged GG with it. It's annoying.
I've come to terms with it, but it's totally unnecessary and is a cause for much frustration to many people. Similar to the whole RE5 scenario.

Can't wait 'till, "this is the feel we were going for", becomes a dev staple for bad control design decisions.

Mik2121

lawblob said:
I figure I will just have to get used to quickly muting the static noisemakers & rap blasters each round. Annoying, but I guess inevitable.
You must seriously be having very bad luck, because I've played about 13 hours of mp and only once one guy had some static noise on his mic, but he disconnected it or something because the noise stopped after about 10 seconds.

alba

Little is the new Big
ChrisGoldstein said:
The multiplayer is amazing. I only do body count but I had a blast yesterday playing.

I just need to rank up to unlock the good classes.

what's the best tip on firing?

I think tapping the button works well, when I hold it down I cant seem to hit the target it makes me mad.

How effective is melee?

They hit a grand slam with the multiplayer.

I dont care for the campaign tbh.

I use alt 2 control scheme with zoom toggle.

I just wish I could use left stick to crouch and l2 to run.

Firing is a mix of both, tapping is great but at close range with a few targets, just aim lower and spray (works just as good, depending on the weapon too)

Melee is really effective but really hard to land, you need to make sure you're in range to use it but it's deadly.

Barrett2

Mik2121 said:
You must seriously be having very bad luck, because I've played about 13 hours of mp and only once one guy had some static noise on his mic, but he disconnected it or something because the noise stopped after about 10 seconds.

Maybe I just had a few bad rounds. The gameplay was great, though. I need to get a new mic myself. What is the best mic for the least cash?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Man, fuck melee. I can never land one. I always switch to the pistol, it's much more effective and I can easily land 2 kills with the pistol before reloading, it's pretty long range too!

Also, the shotgun's range is way too long. It should only be really close quarter.

Top Bottom