• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

~Kinggi~

Banned
Alright, this shit is fucking ridiculous. I cant beat the last wave of enemies on veteren.

Too much fighting the slow ass controls with the rapid onslaught of enemies. Too difficult.

Here's a tip, dont play your first time on veteren, or else you'll end of hating the game and give up like me. Infuriating.

Core407

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
Alright, this shit is fucking ridiculous. I cant beat the last wave of enemies on veteren.

Too much fighting the slow ass controls with the rapid onslaught of enemies. Too difficult.

Here's a tip, dont play your first time on veteren, or else you'll end of hating the game and give up like me. Infuriating.

Really? I'm playing through it on veteran and it's really not that bad. So far all of the situations that involved large numbers also had a decent amount of allies on your side. There is a point where you have to hold an area and it ends with two huge "big daddy" like characters and I managed to take one out and then when I looked for the other, I saw that my own guys actually had him near death all by themselves. Hell, if I could, I would have played it on the highest difficulty if it weren't locked in the first play through.

Edit: My biggest issue is my system overheating and shutting itself off.

~Kinggi~ said:

Im playing on Veteran and I actually love the controls.

methane47

Core407 said:
Really? I'm playing through it on veteran and it's really not that bad. So far all of the situations that involved large numbers also had a decent amount of allies on your side. There is a point where you have to hold an area and it ends with two huge "big daddy" like characters and I managed to take one out and then when I looked for the other, I saw that my own guys actually had him near death all by themselves. Hell, if I could, I would have played it on the highest difficulty if it weren't locked in the first play through.

Exactly the same thing happened to me and I just beat that part!! lol
And I'm playing on Vet, its my first time through.. with the default controls.. and it is crazy.. and i'm lovin it.

I took out the one on the left... And as I ran to the right to take the other out rico had just blown him to bits..

Core407

Banned
methane47 said:
Exactly the same thing happened to me and I just beat that part!! lol

I took out the one on the left... And as I ran to the right to take the other out rico had just blown him to bits..

It's a nice surprise to see that your own guys can hold their own and aren't gimped. Reminds me of the original Halo where you'd actually try and keep your soldiers alive because they DID do something.

SSM25

WOW, I think this is my most anticipated game this gen and I feel a bit disappointed, I can't aim for shit in multiplayer. Sometimes people kill me from a very far distance and I can't kill shit even at close range. Didn't have this problem with COD4, I usually point and kill.

It's kind of frustrating to jump on someone and he turns back and kill me :mad:

raYne

chubigans said:
Nah, it's definitely not like Call of Duty . CoD has those scripted events that you can't skip, and there's infinite waves of enemies. KZ2 doesn't have that (yet...as I'm only in the second level) so already it's infinitely better. :D

ChrisGoldstein said:
Yeah there is no worse campaign in single player than cod. You have to pass some line on the battlefield so enemies wont stop spawning. NOTHING is worse than this shit, especially on higher difficulty levels.

Might as well be on rails with a light gun
Dunno how you guys miss it, but the game has exactly that at quite a few points in the campaign. Most evident being when you try to take the AA gun. They'll never, ever stop coming until you make it to the halfway point.

edit:
ChrisGoldstein said:
From what I read in the manual the way the blood splatters on the screen does show you in what direction you're being shot at from

Question about the radar though? If I crouch I dont show up on the radar right?

How does it work?
I skimmed, so I'm not sure if you got your answer, but the only time you show up on radar (non-perk related) is when you fire. Running, jumping, crouching etc doesn't affect it either way.

~Kinggi~ said:

That section is all about management, not controls.

commish said:
Because COD 4 played beautifully. I'm all for the idea that different games play differently, but some control better than others. Sure, you can get used to it, but that's pretty much the worst excuse for the seemingly sluggish controls that a person can say. OF COURSE we can get "used to it", but in the best games, controls aren't even a consideration.

Slow controls =/= bad controls, it is expected that changing between two very different feeling games will be difficult

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
raYne said:
Dunno how you guys miss it, but the game has exactly that at quite a few points in the campaign. Most evident being when you try to take the AA gun. They'll never, ever stop coming until you make it to the halfway point.

That is a lie. Although it does cut off once you pass a certain point, the respawns are finite and not that much.

Chiggs

Gold Member
~Kinggi~ said:

Oh shit....

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
raYne said:
This isn't true.

raYne

Tempy said:
That is a lie. Although it does cut off once you pass a certain point, the respawns are finite and not that much.
Uh, it isn't. I replayed the section quite a few times to see if I could take them out from afar.

I didn't stay back there all day to run up my kill count, so I might be mistaken about it being infinite, but it damn sure is a lot of them (played on Veteran if that matters) and as we already agree has a trigger point.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The Take Out Bandit said:
I'm just making the point that "I LIKE THIS GUN, THIS IS THE BEST GUN EVAR U STFU" is fucking retarded.

I like taking my time with my shots and I'm not a run and gun cunt.
youre a take your time cunt?

Jaroof

:lol
While playing through the campaign, I ran into a little glitch.
I ran into a room, where a Helghast was waiting for me, so we instantly exchanged melee hits, which caused me to almost die, so I ran out of the room. And when I returned...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrSyTTUNzkM

Made me laugh.
Sorry, Low quality phone vid :lol

For those of you that claim you're "enjoying the story" --- quick question...

What fucking story?

All I hear is FUCK this, FUCK that, SHIT!, look out FUCKING HELGAST MOTHA FUCKER, don't stop shooting mother fucker, there's another wave of them coming!, this isn't time to take a break you fucks, HELGHAST! and some other random bullshit.

Please. Fill me in on the story. I'm dying to know.

raYne said:
Uh, it isn't. I replayed the section quite a few times to see if I could take them out from afar.

I didn't stay back there all day to run up my kill count, so I might be mistaken about it being infinite, but it damn sure is a lot of them (played on Veteran if that matters) and as we already agree has a trigger point.

Uh, do you know who Tempy is?

punkypine

i think most of the people having trouble with controls are probably going into zoom way too much because in COD4, thats all you ever needed to do and it practically aimed for you when you did
if you dont zoom in when the people are near you, you'll probably be much more successful, as there is aim assist

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
MvmntInGrn said:
Slow controls =/= bad controls, it is expected that changing between two very different feeling games will be difficult
truth

for example, a lot of people think the max sensitivity in mgo is too slow

i won a trophy for that game and i play at half the sensitivity as anyone else

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mik2121 said:
Woah.. my clan (Europe GAF 2) is the most inactive clan I've EVER seen.

Please, seriously, I NEED TO GO TO EUROPE GAF CLAN, I'm quite active in this game and I'm not that bad at it, so come on, the leader or any officer from GAFe clan, INVITE ME!!! (I'm leaving my current clan as soon as I get an answer saying I can get into the clan)

ok

vpance

Core407 said:

I think you were lucky. I had to play that part like a dozen times before I could pass it. Maybe my strategy was crap. I hung back alot and sniped off one of the big daddys with an MG quickly and then moved to kill the other. I'm playing with no crosshairs though which makes things harder than they should be.

I find that I end up dying alot trying to hide in cover that doesn't cover you totally.

Awntawn

raYne said:
They stop. That's how I beat that part. There's just a lot of guys. The only part where they keep coming at you forever is the bridge level, and that's because you're supposed to actually take the bridge.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Superblatt said:

What fucking story?

All I hear is FUCK this, FUCK that, SHIT!, look out FUCKING HELGAST MOTHA FUCKER, don't stop shooting mother fucker, there's another wave of them coming!, this isn't time to take a break you fucks, HELGHAST! and some other random bullshit.

youre in a space orgy

raYne

Awntawn said:
They stop. That's how I beat that part. There's just a lot of guys. The only part where they keep coming at you forever is the bridge level, and that's because you're supposed to actually take the bridge.
I know they stop, that's my point. As is the bolded. The game has it, that's all I was pointing out.

For me, they stopped after I got passed the half-way point and then the current set of spawned guys wast the last until I
manned the AA gun
. Before that, when I hung back to take them from the first border, they didn't seem to stop.

After I finish my run through, I'll replay the mission and experiment more.

Ceb

Y2Kev said:
ending spoilers below, don't highlight if you haven't seen

I agree. Most of the in-game dialog is pretty stupid (FUCK!!! MOTHERFUCK!!! FUCK THAT FUCK!!! FUCK OH FUCK MOTHERFUCK!!!) but everything else struck me as fine. And people whining about the story I don't really understand either. I think it works really well, and the ending is actually pretty awesome. They manage to capture that feeling of
desperation and destruction that they had built up throughout the entire game and just make it feel overwhelming. Seeing Sev just sit on the stairs completely done with everything
was awesome.

What do they do for Killzone 3? The operation seems hopeless.

Agree about the ending.
Surely the UCN will be forced to go in with the heavy artillery now?

Been replaying some sections (mission select is much appreciated). I love the start of Visari Square, when you're attacking the prefect's office. The music that plays there is fantastic for getting your adrenaline pumping. I really like that part, with the bombed-out building and the narrow alleys. I wouldn't have minded some more inner-city combat like that.

Pretty much the only thing the SP needs is more calm areas where not much happens, just to wind down pace a little. Stuff like the start of Suljeva Village that lets you get a feel for this alien planet. This is basically the only aspect my other eternal FPS favorite Half-Life 2 has over Killzone 2, because the latter does everything else so well.

Perhaps if you could walk around in the New Sun between a couple of the missions, like the pre-release rumors indicated. They could even have thrown in an in-game database thingie like Front Mission 3 or GTAIV where you could plow through newspaper articles and read up on the game's characters and the geography of Helghan.

~Kinggi~ said:

i played the whole game on veteran the first time, didn't have much problem with it and when i got to that last section in the game in the end (where all those enemies kept coming) (before you fight you-know-who) i just went to mission select and chose trooper for that part and finished the game.

Y2Kev said:
This isn't true.

100% true, actually...

Unless you gain grown and pass the invisible "stop spawning" switch, the enemies will continue spawning in certain set pieces.

Prime example: On the train, when you get to the part with the tank that you need to blow up. If you kill the four enemies, you have 10 seconds to run and grab a missile launcher, before the next wave respawns.

I have no idea how you guys missed this. It's painfully obvious when you play on Veteran.

Zeliard

raYne said:

The biggest problem with CoD4's unlimited respawning is that the A.I. is fucking horrible, so you're essentially being continuously bombarded with brainless slabs of meat. I don't mind constantly fighting enemies if they have some semblance of intelligence and don't act like the robotic cannon fodder that the Call of Duty enemies do.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Haven't been addicted to multiplayer like this game has made me since the BF1942 demo.

Fucking awesome.

82 points til Master Sergeant!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Vyse The Legend said:
100% true, actually...

Unless you gain grown and pass the invisible "stop spawning" switch, the enemies will continue spawning in certain set pieces.

Prime example: On the train, when you get to the part with the tank that you need to blow up. If you kill the four enemies, you have 10 seconds to run and grab a missile launcher, before the next wave respawns.

I have no idea how you guys missed this. It's painfully obvious when you play on Veteran.

I'm not talking about "certain set pieces," I'm talking about the very specific piece mentioned by raYne.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Vyse The Legend said:
100% true, actually...

They keep coming until you take the fucking tank out...

-COOLIO- said:
truth

for example, a lot of people think the max sensitivity in mgo is too slow

i won a trophy for that game and i play at half the sensitivity as anyone else

I been playing SP on Veteran, and this game is FFUUCKKED! Currently on the train level, and dealing with respaws. Whoever said this game has no respawns hasn't played on Vet. period. The train has respawns, the AA gun has respawns, the bridge has respawns. No only does this game have more deadzones than a Sprint network, the hit boxes are shit! WAW had shit hit boxes, but the enemies only took a couple shots to kill, so it wasn't a big deal. C'mon, Guerilla- if you decide to fuck the hit boxes AND aiming, at least make it so it doesn't require 4-5 HEADSHOTS to kill the lowliest Hellgast with a fucking assault rifle. I can only imaging how MP is, but on Skirmish the grenade spamming takes me back to COD. No delay on grenades? C'mon. Single play has delay on grenades, why not Skirmish? Get it fucking fixed!

Barrett2

Superblatt said:

What fucking story?

The story is about uniform citations, I shit you not!

Y2Kev said:
I'm not talking about "certain set pieces," I'm talking about the very specific piece mentioned by raYne.

I don't recall that particular encounter, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was right. There are a lot of set pieces with infinite spawns, but some simply stand out more, because they're genuinely more difficult, like the train one I mentioned.

Side-note: Finally finished the game on Veteran, and the last boss almost singlehandedly destroyed all the love I had for the game.

Proc

I'm at the final boss of this game and I turned it off for a break. I don't want the campaign to be over this fast. The campaign is seriously short. Seriously. Is there a final clock at the end of it? I'm curious how long it has taken me.

raYne

palpabl_purpura said:
I can only imaging how MP is, but on Skirmish the grenade spamming takes me back to COD. No delay on grenades? C'mon. Single play has delay on grenades, why not Skirmish? Get it fucking fixed!
Uh, you mean cooked grenades? That's kinda the point.

lunlunqq

Finished the campaign yesterday in a little over 5 hours. just started mp this morning. got my most points in a round. 103!!! however, i found it very difficult to keep a good k/d ratio without my scout class... :(

Proc said:
I'm at the final boss of this game and I turned it off for a break. I don't want the campaign to be over this fast. The campaign is seriously short. Seriously. Is there a final clock at the end of it? I'm curious how long it has taken me.

it's in the main menu. in campaign, there's an option "statistics". since it's the first time u played it can tell you how much time u spent in the game

Vyse The Legend said:
I don't recall that particular encounter, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was right. There are a lot of set pieces with infinite spawns, but some simply stand out more, because they're genuinely more difficult, like the train one I mentioned.

Side-note: Finally finished the game on Veteran, and the last boss almost singlehandedly destroyed all the love I had for the game.

Radec? The waves KILLED ME but got Radec on my third try. Veteran as well.

As far as spawns, they are there. I liked them because in some spots it made you HAVE to push forward instead of just holding ground.

Ephemeris

Good game just now. Pretty damned intense.

On a side note, I never had so many friendly-kills in all my K2 playing till then :lol :lol

Man. If I didn't kill Recovery at the bomb site, we prolly would have lost.

Top Bottom