• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
alba said:
I don't think so, instead it's just you do your matches and report to their system, it's quite silly except if GG make a special one or something i don't know, check it ingame see if you can find it but I doubt you will... :p

If it's not in game, I don't care. Since you are leader, you probably need challenging powers in the game to set up the clan matches right? Or is it totally "manual"?

I hate this shit.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im done with this. I dont play games to get my blood boiled up. Horrible controls coupled with unforgiving enemy waves. There is a reason games have things such as auto-aim and the like, but if you are gonna remove it, you damn well better have precise controls that are actually responsive, and this game happens to have the worst in a long time for console fps.

They should have a warning when starting the hard difficulty that you'll toss your controller in frustration. I really wish i would have started on easy now so i can least beat it and put it to bed.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
~Kinggi~ said:
Im done with this. I dont play games to get my blood boiled up. Horrible controls coupled with unforgiving enemy waves. There is a reason games have things such as auto-aim and the like, but if you are gonna remove it, you damn well better have precise controls that are actually responsive, and this game happens to have the worst in a long time for console fps.

They should have a warning when starting the hard difficulty that you'll toss your controller in frustration. I really wish i would have started on easy now so i can least beat it and put it to bed.

You can do that last level (any unlocked level actually) on any difficulty if you want. You don't have to stick with Veteran. You get Trophy for beating the game no prob.

Simply go to Campaign > Mission selection and select the last level. Then choose "Trooper" or "Recruit".

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
icechai said:
wow I didn't realize how many CoD obsessed players are out there. I never really got into the multiplayer for more than a week but when you approach new games, you should try to discard old habits. I don't try to play every shooter like how I play Warhawk or Half-Life. Heck, you can't even bunny hop in this game, WTF, FIX THIS GUERILLA!!!!

Seriously, if you stop thinking of every shooter like CoD4, you might learn to fall in love with the control system like many of us here.

I'm not COD 4 obsessed. I just think it's currently the best controlling FPS on consoles. Not once did I ever think, "man, the controls need work." I didn't think about the controls at all... because they worked. Same with resistance. Or Halo. Or Far Cry. Or...well, you get my point. I've put about 6 or 7 hours into the MP part of the game in less than a day, so I AM giving it a chance. I just can't understand how people don't think the game would better without the sluggish - oops, I mean heavy - controls. I bet there's a patch that allows for greater sensitivity down the road.

It's all just personal preference, I guess. Many of us wish the controls were more responsive. Telling us to "learn how to play" doesn't change that fact at all. It's like buying a red car when you prefer blue. Sure, you can get used to the red, but that doesn't mean you'd wouldn't be happier with blue.

~Kinggi~ said:

:lol You chose a difficulty too high for you.

Lower it, finish the game, stop bitching.

~Kinggi~

Banned
TTP said:
You can do that last level (any unlocked level actually) on any difficulty if you want. You don't have to stick with Veteran. You get Trophy for beating the game no prob.
Im probably gonna do this then.

MvmntInGrn said:
:lol You chose a difficulty too high for you.

Lower it, finish the game, stop bitching.

I always choose the high difficulties in games, and typically dont have a problem. But bad controls create a scenario where someone needs a lot of luck to beat something and im not into that.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Damn, I wish I could play the entire game with the sniper and a pistol. The sniper is GODLY in this game.

POP THEM TOPS MOTHERFUCKER!

Zeliard

~Kinggi~ said:

I think they're the best, actually, coming at it from the perspective of a PC gamer. Give me these more deliberate controls over Halo and Resistance attempting to mimic a mouse's 1:1 input. Killzone 2's pressure-sensitive controls actually fit with the analog stick scheme.

commish said:
I'm not COD 4 obsessed. I just think it's currently the best controlling FPS on consoles. Not once did I ever think, "man, the controls need work." I didn't think about the controls at all... because they worked. Same with resistance. Or Halo. Or Far Cry. Or...well, you get my point. I've put about 6 or 7 hours into the MP part of the game in less than a day, so I AM giving it a chance. I just can't understand how people don't think the game would better without the sluggish - oops, I mean heavy - controls. I bet there's a patch that allows for greater sensitivity down the road.

It's all just personal preference, I guess. Many of us wish the controls were more responsive. Telling us to "learn how to play" doesn't change that fact at all. It's like buying a red car when you prefer blue. Sure, you can get used to the red, but that doesn't mean you'd wouldn't be happier with blue.

When I was in the beta I didn't think about the controls until I read people bitching about them on the internetz, really if you're not having fun with the controls, if it's tough, sluggish, heavy, whatever for you, then sell the game and stop bitching about it, you can still get good credit for it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
commish said:
It's like buying a red car when you prefer blue. Sure, you can get used to the red, but that doesn't mean you'd wouldn't be happier with blue.

But you can get bored with blue and realize you should have gone red. :p

alba

Little is the new Big
TTP said:
If it's not in game, I don't care. Since you are leader, you probably need challenging powers in the game to set up the clan matches right? Or is it totally "manual"?

I hate this shit.

Hate it too they should streamline it with the ingame shit, don't even know why they do this bah :p

~Kinggi~ said:
I always choose the high difficulties in games, and typically dont have a problem. But bad controls create a scenario where someone needs a lot of luck to beat something and im not into that.

I'd agree if the controls were bad rather than different. :lol

TTP you didn't answer my question, how hard is it to finish the game on Elite difficulty and how hard is it to finish the game without dying on Easy?

~Kinggi~

Banned
MvmntInGrn said:
I'd agree if the controls were bad rather than different. :lol
I dont understand how controller lag is not considered bad. I mean holy shit, there is something borked with their code for controller inputs with this game. Its at least a 4 frame delay, makes me feel like im in quicksand or somethin with a handicap.

Its funny that out of all the potential negatives this game could have had, it has the one that every other game gets right.

Just finished the campaign; sooooooooogood.gif. As expected given my nature to finish games faster much faster than is typical, I finished the game in 6 hours 6 minutes including credits. But the game definitely doesn't feel short, or that it overstays its welcome, so I'm omre than satisfied. Plus there are a lot of sequences dying to be played again.

Controls felt perfect after dialing them in for about 15 minutes. The final boss is the only time I felt the "slow" nature of aiming was in any way restricting.

Also, I missed there not being any trench coat Helghast :(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AranhaHunter said:
When I was in the beta I didn't think about the controls until I read people bitching about them on the internetz, really if you're not having fun with the controls, if it's tough, sluggish, heavy, whatever for you, then sell the game and stop bitching about it, you can still get good credit for it.

It's really odd indeed. Of course they felt odd in my first experience with the beta, but I got used to them in a matter of minutes. Then, the learning process (going back and forth between controls set ups, dieing, wtfing). Eventually, I began to enjoying it. This whole process occurred in an afternoon.

I guess not everyone is as elastic.

~Kinggi~ said:
I dont understand how controller lag is not considered bad. I mean holy shit, there is something borked with their code for controller inputs with this game. Its at least a 4 frame delay, makes me feel like im in quicksand or somethin with a handicap.

Its funny that out of all the potential negatives this game could have had, it has the one that every other game gets right.

Goddamn it, sell the game and stop bitching about it man.

Thrakier

commish said:
I didn't think about the controls at all... because they worked. Same with resistance. Or Halo. Or Far Cry.

You are not talking about Far Cry 2, do you? Because the controls are actually horrible in this game, I stopped playing it because I couldn't hit anything. Also in FC2 there is heavy accleration aplied to the movement as well but I was a lot better in the KZ2 demo.

~Kinggi~

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
Goddamn it, sell the game and stop bitching about it man.
the game is on my shit list for making me so mad. Feels like the only reason i bothered to get this far was for the pretty graphics and locations. Story, i dont even know whats going on half the time.

commish

AranhaHunter said:

I tried to sell it to gamestop, and he said "no, because the controls suck." Argh, I'm foiled yet again! Why me, why me!! Argh!!!

Seriously, I'm not saying the controls are a deal breaker - I am still heavily playing the game and would be right now if I wasn't doing work. I'm just wishing for a change down the road. From the comments by people in this thread and in the game and on other messageboards, I know that I'm not alone in this.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
~Kinggi~ said:

Not experiencing any lag at all..... <shrug>

~Kinggi~ said:
the game is on my shit list for making me so mad. Feels like the only reason i bothered to get this far was for the pretty graphics and locations. Story, i dont even know whats going on half the time.
buy the book

Thrakier

~Kinggi~ said:

The controller lag in KZ2 is as good or bad as in any other game. It's a bit better than in Halo 3. Don't believe every YouTube Video you see.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3725/measuring_responsiveness_in_video_.php?page=3

I so wish GG would step up and end this stupid lag myth. It's annoying that everyone believes that shit.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
~Kinggi~ said:

4 years in the making. 3 beta testing phases. Countless focus testes. Great reviews all around. And no one noticed their controller input code is "borked".

Does that sound even remotely possible?

commish

Thrakier said:
You are not talking about Far Cry 2, do you? Because the controls are actually horrible in this game, I stopped playing it because I couldn't hit anything. Also in FC2 there is heavy accleration aplied to the movement as well but I was a lot better in the KZ2 demo.

I had no problem with the controls in FC2...

Teknoman

Room: GAF TIME TO DIE!
Password: believe

EDIT: There is no input lag. The character turns when you move the stick, its just that it has an acceleration aspect to it.

commish

Thrakier said:
Are you mainly playing with the 360-controller?

No, PS3.

I tell ya, for as much as I bitch about this game, I want to go home and play as I type :\

Thrakier

~Kinggi~ said:
Im going off of what i feel when i play, not some video.

There is no lag. Whatever you feel (I guess it's just the intended sluggish controls), it's not controller lag. So stop claiming that it is controller lag. Ok?

raYne

PjotrStroganov said:
Lot's of people online are aiming by strafing. Looks like a couple of drunken bums trying to kill each other.
:lol!

And, yeah it's to be expected. Since the actual movement isn't "weighted" like the right stick aim, it's actually easier to do it that way until you get used to the controls.

tribal24

Banned
I can see why people are complaining about controls but i think there fine honestly, im a person whos horrible at first person shooters like horrible. i cant aim worth crap etc, but i played online for 6 hours yesterday, and today Im playing single player like its a breeze getting headshots turning and moving fast. For the people who have problem with the controls have you tryed to put your sensitivity up, I have mines maxed with alt 2 configuration. I guess you just have to give the controls some time becuase at first, i thought i was moving slow but now it feels natural.

~Kinggi~ said:

Feels like every other piece of shit console FPS to me.

If you're serious about FPS games; buy a PC already.

Zeliard

raYne said:
:lol!

And, yeah it's to be expected. Since the actual movement isn't "weighted" like the right stick aim, it's actually easier to do it that way until you get used to the controls.

Strafing to adjust your aim has always been a solid tactic in shooters, though, particularly since it also helps keep the other guy from getting a good bead on you. :p

tribal24 said:
I can see why people are complaining about controls but i think there fine honestly, im a person whos horrible at first person shooters like horrible. i cant aim worth crap etc, but i played online for 6 hours yesterday, and today Im playing single player like its a breeze getting headshots turning and moving fast. For the people who have problem with the controls have you tryed to put your sensitivity up, I have mines maxed with alt 2 configuration. I guess you just have to give the controls some time becuase at first, i thought i was moving slow but now it feels natural.

When trying to target via iron sight, aren't you 'over' aiming alot? I have a real hard time putting my reticule on target, even with small inputs.

Zeliard

PjotrStroganov said:
When trying to target via iron sight, aren't you 'over' aiming alot? I have a real hard time putting my reticule on target, even with small inputs.

You have to nudge rather than push or flick, at least with default sensitivities. The auto-aim in the game is such that your crosshair will slow down slightly when it goes over an enemy, but I think a lot of people expect the auto-aiming to be a lot more significant than it actually is and are overshooting their target as a result.

Thrakier

Lion Heart said:
FC2 was abysmal. Killzone 2's demo was infinitely better in terms of aiming.

This. I heard though that your aiming improves in FC2 when your character improves, don't know if this is true. I only played the beginning and stopped it because I couldn't aim. I find it strange that someone complains about the accleration in KZ2 but doesn't notice the same but even worse while playing FC2.

In console shooters my aim is ALWAYS a combination out of strafing and aiming. I never "flick" the stick I always have my fingers on the stick and move it very slowly. Maybe because of that I had no problems with KZ2.

Proc

lawblob said:
Seriously, are you a dwarf in this game. Standing next to the scientist woman my eyes are level with her stomach. WTF?

yep, short people can fire guns to. don't be so prejudice against the vertically challenged!

Top Bottom