• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Dragnet

Ok, so I'm in the clan on Consolegaming.eu, but can someone PLEASE send me a clan invite where it really matters - IN GAME!

Thank you :D

Ephemeris said:
Good game just now. Pretty damned intense.

On a side note, I never had so many friendly-kills in all my K2 playing till then :lol :lol

Man. If I didn't kill Recovery at the bomb site, we prolly would have lost.
You mean me.
You killed me.
lol

i dont really have a problem with the controls. No auto aim is a breath of fresh air for the console fps genre. There were a couple times i was confused during the campaign as where to go, no indication of enemy spawns got me killed a lot. The complete failure of your squad mates pissed me off a few times while i was trying to get my health back behind cover.

Milking the flamethrower for at it was worth was pretty fun.

Big-E

I am kind of worried about the final boss now since so many people have had problems with it. I have literally died 100 times in between the Assembly and the train part. Don't really want to have to die another 100 to beat the game.

Proc

anyone else having problems with "syncing trophy data"? After the splash screen it just hangs at this message. I've signed in and out, powered on/off. Ahh?

deepbrown

Big-E said:
I am kind of worried about the final boss now since so many people have had problems with it. I have literally died 100 times in between the Assembly and the train part. Don't really want to have to die another 100 to beat the game.
Just get your gun out, don't use cover and spin around to locate...

rexor0717

SSM25 said:
WOW, I think this is my most anticipated game this gen and I feel a bit disappointed, I can't aim for shit in multiplayer. Sometimes people kill me from a very far distance and I can't kill shit even at close range. Didn't have this problem with COD4, I usually point and kill.

It's kind of frustrating to jump on someone and he turns back and kill me :mad:
What size TV are you playing on?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
commish said:
Because COD 4 played beautifully. I'm all for the idea that different games play differently, but some control better than others. Sure, you can get used to it, but that's pretty much the worst excuse for the seemingly sluggish controls that a person can say. OF COURSE we can get "used to it", but in the best games, controls aren't even a consideration.

I'm sorry, but everyone that complains about controls in this game sound to me like those complaining about not being able to take a turn in Gran Turismo.

And to those having issues with how chaotic MP is, I hope you didn't just jump in the first 31/32 game available with no consideration of ranking expecting to pwn everybody.

Here is a suggestion (which is more like common sense): search for YOUR RANK and MEDIUM SIZE games. (I only play medium size games myself despite being quite good at the game after two beta phases and having reached General rank three times. 32pp is just too much chaos).

~Kinggi~

Banned
This game is becoming worse than COD 4 because not only is the last section an endless wave of enemies, the enemies are bullet sponges. Nothing more aggravating than unloading a clip into a bitch and then as you reload he kills you in 2 shots. I want to strangle the difficulty balance guys. Also, more checkpoints are needed in the final section. Also, my ally partner is useless.

Big-E said:

Depends on person I think. Like I said (well I /spoilered it) it only took me three tries. The part right before that took me like 50+ at least.

~Kinggi~ said:
This game is becoming worse than COD 4 because not only is the last section an endless wave of enemies, the enemies are bullet sponges. Nothing more aggravating than unloading a clip into a bitch and then as you reload he kills you in 2 shots. I want to strangle the difficulty balance guys. Also, more checkpoints are needed in the final section. Also, my ally partner is useless.

Just beat this a while ago, you are exaggerating (or firing 70% of the shots into thin air).

What are you playing on? If its Veteran then chances are it was just too hard for your first go. Checkpoints are great IMO but if the game is set too hard they can seem uneven.

alba

Little is the new Big
I just created a game (EuroGAF Practice) to practice for tomorrow's match, usual pass... feel free to join ;)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
alba said:
I just created a game (EuroGAF Practice) to practice for tomorrow's match, usual pass... feel free to join ;)

Tell me more about this tomorrow's match please.

MvmntInGrn said:
Depends on person I think. Like I said (well I /spoilered it) it only took me three tries. The part right before that took me like 50+ at least.

Yeah, I was the complete opposite. Rest of the game was cake on Veteran, including the last level; the last boss, however, took me forever.

alba

Little is the new Big
TTP said:
Tell me more about this tomorrow's match please.

The tournament with the win prize of playing against GG, remember? (you signed on the site too) the brackets are on the site!

TTP said:
I'm sorry, but everyone that complains about controls in this game sound to me like those complaining about not being able to take a turn in Gran Turismo.

And to those having issues with how chaotic MP is, I hope you didn't just jump in the first 31/32 game available with no consideration of ranking expecting to pwn everybody.

Here is a suggestion (which is more like common sense): search for YOUR RANK and MEDIUM SIZE games.

Bu bu bu but I'm able to make a 90 degree turn on a dime while going 78 MPH on my '89 Honda Accord....

Zeliard

Shinz Kicker said:
i dont really have a problem with the controls. No auto aim is a breath of fresh air for the console fps genre. There were a couple times i was confused during the campaign as where to go, no indication of enemy spawns got me killed a lot. The complete failure of your squad mates pissed me off a few times while i was trying to get my health back behind cover.

I think 95% of the complaints about the controls are due to relative lack of auto-aiming in the game. It's there, but it's far more subtle and minimal than in other console shooters. That's one of the reasons I like the game.

Besides the beautiful graphics, great sound, and cool level design, this game has bad analog controls... I don't care what anyone says, there's no reason that I should have to "get used" to it. It should feel at least decent once I pick it up. Hell, even Fear 2's analog controls are much better than this. That's a damn shame. This game could've been great. I'm pretty disappointed with it... I can easily overlook bad graphics/sound, but when the core gameplay stinks because of bad controls, that's a problem.

I'd recommend someone rent this game before they buy it.

icechai

wow I didn't realize how many CoD obsessed players are out there. I never really got into the multiplayer for more than a week but when you approach new games, you should try to discard old habits. I don't try to play every shooter like how I play Warhawk or Half-Life. Heck, you can't even bunny hop in this game, WTF, FIX THIS GUERILLA!!!!

Seriously, if you stop thinking of every shooter like CoD4, you might learn to fall in love with the control system like many of us here.

oldschlgmr said:
Besides the beautiful graphics, great sound, and cool level design, this game has bad analog controls... I don't care what anyone says, there's no reason that I should have to "get used" to it. It should feel at least decent once I pick it up. Hell, even Fear 2's analog controls are much better than this. That's a damn shame. This game could've been great. I'm pretty disappointed with it... I can easily overlook bad graphics/sound, but when the core gameplay stinks because of bad controls, that's a problem.

I'd recommend someone rent this game before they buy it.

So go play Fear 2 and GTFO, I for one enjoy the controls and the lack of auto aim.

Core407 said:
Really? I'm playing through it on veteran and it's really not that bad. So far all of the situations that involved large numbers also had a decent amount of allies on your side. There is a point where you have to hold an area and it ends with two huge "big daddy" like characters and I managed to take one out and then when I looked for the other, I saw that my own guys actually had him near death all by themselves. Hell, if I could, I would have played it on the highest difficulty if it weren't locked in the first play through.

Edit: My biggest issue is my system overheating and shutting itself off.

I have the same problem with the overheating :\ I can't for more than 40mins without my ps3 turning itself off. However i managed to play online for 2 hours last night without any problems.

Zeliard

TTP said:
Here is a suggestion (which is more like common sense): search for YOUR RANK and MEDIUM SIZE games. (I only play medium size games myself despite being quite good at the game after two beta phases and having reached General rank three times. 32pp is just too much chaos).

32 player Bodycount can be spectacular, though. :D

Just a massive, fun FFA. It really reminds me of the early days of Quake 1.

Big-E

TTP said:

This.

-PXG-

I haven't gotten to really try the MP yet. I just got on the train in the SP. The level design is awesome. This game oozes of goodness in every way.

Core407

Banned
NinjaCodah said:
I have the same problem with the overheating :\ I can't for more than 40mins without my ps3 turning itself off. However i managed to play online for 2 hours last night without any problems.

What is your room temperature? Seems my system overheats when my room temp is around 70 degrees which makes playing PS3 during the summer a hassle.

careksims

Man it's a awesome campaign.
Killzone 2's campaign >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Resistance 2's.
So intense and I had no problems with the controls at all. Feels so natural. Just so awesome and very intense. Don't pansy out and play it on Veteran folks. Learn to adapt folks!

I played a tiny bit of MP but I got d/ced Still, what I played was pretty smooth.

Best fps game I played in a long time.

TTP How hard was it to finish the game on Elite and to finish the game without dying? I'm playing on veteran right now and it's being a good challenge so far
just got done killing the ATAC

calder

Liking the game so far, the SP is a bit less impressive than I had hoped but the multi is crazy fun. I think part of it is that the first few levels of the SP are familiar, but there are some insanely cool multiplayer maps that are all new.

dwin45

Zeliard said:
32 player Bodycount can be spectacular, though. :D

Just a massive, fun FFA. It really reminds me of the early days of Quake 1.
It really depends on the map and game type. I played a 32 player Search and Retrieve on Corinth Crossing and it was a total clusterfuck. Not fun at all.

Zeliard

dwin45 said:
It really depends on the map and game type. I played a 32 player Search and Retrieve on Corinth Crossing and it was a total clusterfuck. Not fun at all.

Well, that map is tiny. It can be great in some of the bigger levels like the desert one (I always forget the name of it).

And yeah, 32 player for stuff other than Bodycount on some of the maps can be too much, since Bodycount is arguably the mode that requires the least amount of overall tactics and coordination and is more accepting of clusterfuckery. :p

punkypine

how does it decide who controls which spawn points (and supply dumps, but i think thats the engineer secondary?) in multiplayer? i dont mean placing down new spawns, i mean the ones that are grayed out in the first place

ps, that desert level, so beautiful, so awesome. i love how the smoke from explosions blows in the winds, and i love when you're looking in the distanceand you see a bunch of red dots moving through the sand. so intense

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
alba said:
The tournament with the win prize of playing against GG, remember? (you signed on the site too) the brackets are on the site!

I remember that, but how's gonna work? Did they set up a proper Tournament using the in-game Tournament system? If so, what is it called?

Zeliard

Teknoman said:
Agreed. So many benefits to being in a squad. Also people need to start spawning by leader.

This is what people need to do. I've seen people forming up squads, but few seem to realize you can respawn back on your squad leader if he's still alive. That's one of the huge benefits to it.

icechai

punkypine said:
how does it decide who controls which spawn points (and supply dumps, but i think thats the engineer secondary?) in multiplayer? i dont mean placing down new spawns, i mean the ones that are grayed out in the first place

ps, that desert level, so beautiful, so awesome. i love how the smoke from explosions blows in the winds, and i love when you're looking in the distanceand you see a bunch of red dots moving through the sand. so intense

grayed out ones are for capture and hold, whichever team has more players in one area will swing the meter towards that team, which turns it green and makes it a spawn point

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
chubigans said:
I'm not even sure how to do that. :(
Hit L1 in the lobby screen, check the squads, hit X to select one, then hit X again to send an invite. If you're at Corporal rank or better, you can create your own squads and send out invitations to other members of your team.

It is so goddamn frustrating when people refuse to squad up. Wonder why you can never defuse an explosive in time? Because you insist on jogging your tubby arse across the map upon respawn instead of squadding up and spawning near the objective!

I'm so vexed I could strangle a manatee in the nude

punkypine

icechai said:
grayed out ones are for capture and hold, whichever team has more players in one area will swing the meter towards that team, which turns it green and makes it a spawn point
there doesnt seem to be any physical marker for it once you're in game tho (unless you mean you can only pick up new spawns in capture and hold mode, but that doesnt seem to be how it works...)

alba

Little is the new Big
TTP said:
I remember that, but how's gonna work? Did they set up a proper Tournament using the in-game Tournament system? If so, what is it called?

I don't think so, instead it's just you do your matches and report to their system, it's quite silly except if GG make a special one or something i don't know, check it ingame see if you can find it but I doubt you will... :p

icechai said:
wow I didn't realize how many CoD obsessed players are out there. I never really got into the multiplayer for more than a week but when you approach new games, you should try to discard old habits. I don't try to play every shooter like how I play Warhawk or Half-Life. Heck, you can't even bunny hop in this game, WTF, FIX THIS GUERILLA!!!!

Seriously, if you stop thinking of every shooter like CoD4, you might learn to fall in love with the control system like many of us here.

The 2 games share a lot in common when it comes to the controls but they are executed differently. My most problematic habit from COD 4 is my obsession with using the gun sights. In this game it's better to shoot from the hip for medium and close range fighting but I just can't stop myself from pulling up the damn sights.

I'm also not as used to analog sticks on the PS3 for FPSes. For the most part they're perfectly fine, a little extra resistance would go a long way but the real problem I'm having is accidentally pressing R3. I have melee mapped to R3 and in tense moments I will accidentally click R3 which inevitably gets me killed. I'm not used to how sensitive L3 and R3 compared to the equivalent buttons on the 360 controller. I really need to lighten my touch.

bishoptl said:
Hit L1 in the lobby screen, check the squads, hit X to select one, then hit X again to send an invite. If you're at Corporal rank or better, you can create your own squads and send out invitations to other members of your team.

It is so goddamn frustrating when people refuse to squad up. Wonder why you can never defuse an explosive in time? Because you insist on jogging your tubby arse across the map upon respawn instead of squadding up and spawning near the objective!

I'm so vexed I could strangle a manatee in the nude

It's even more frustrating when squad leaders don't accept your request to join and your stuck going back to original spawn every time you die. If your a squad leader the more people you have in your squad the better but some people seem to simply use it as a private chat feature and not a crucial team function.

Core407 said:
What is your room temperature? Seems my system overheats when my room temp is around 70 degrees which makes playing PS3 during the summer a hassle.

it's -15celsius outside and my apartment is freezing to be honest. I even pointed a fan at my ps3 just to see if it would help, but it didn't. I'm not exactly sure it's overheating, but it probably has something to do with the fact that the game probably does use more hardware than the previous games (SPUs). I have a launch 60gb ps3.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Felix Lighter said:
The 2 games share a lot in common when it comes to the controls but they are executed differently. My most problematic habit from COD 4 is my obsession with using the gun sights. In this game it's better to shoot from the hip for medium and close range fighting but I just can't stop myself from pulling up the damn sights.
Yep, I'm carrying over the same habits from COD 4 myself. It's difficult when switching back and forth between games. I'll be leaving COD 4 MP alone for a while, I guess.

Top Bottom