• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thrakier said:
This. I heard though that your aiming improves in FC2 when your character improves, don't know if this is true. I only played the beginning and stopped it because I couldn't aim. I find it strange that someone complains about the accleration in KZ2 but doesn't notice the same but even worse while playing FC2.

In console shooters my aim is ALWAYS a combination out of strafing and aiming. I never "flick" the stick I always have my fingers on the stick and move it very slowly. Maybe because of that I had no problems with KZ2.

Had no problems with KZ2? You didn't even play the game yet, right? Yeah, maybe the demo, but who cares about SP. I have no problem with SP. It's online when I have to fight someone in close quarters that frustrates me most of all. Or when I have to take down multiple bandits.

anyway, I am done harping on the controls. They should just give us the option for a kb/m, dammit.

Thrakier

commish said:
Had no problems with KZ2? You didn't even play the game yet, right? Yeah, maybe the demo, but who cares about SP. I have no problem with SP. It's online when I have to fight someone in close quarters that frustrates me most of all. Or when I have to take down multiple bandits.

Yeah, just the demo. I have the game here but laser defects and YLOD and so on...you know.
I can see that the demo controls frustrate someone when in close quarter. The game is not made for close quarter combat ala UT. Maybe you get used to it a bit more and the other players start to behave and play the game differently and it gets better. I don't know.

anyway, I am done harping on the controls. They should just give us the option for a kb/m, dammit.

KB/M wouldn't change the controls. ;) I guess it would be even worse because your hand moves a lot faster and you would feel the accleration and the delay (not in a sense of controller lag) even more. Also console shooters are meant to be played with a controller and I think that's good...if I want to play kb/m I play PC games. ;)

Epcott

Fucking Amazon... my shipment won't arrive till damn near March 4th. I don't think I'll ever pre-order with them again, even if they offer game related pajamas or quirks.

methane47

good god this game is difficult on Veteran!!!

I just fought the ATAC.. and LORD HAVE MERCY...I must have died 20 times until I realized I could leave that top perch/balcony thing..

lawblob said:
Seriously, are you a dwarf in this game. Standing next to the scientist woman my eyes are level with her stomach. WTF?

Yeah, that scene was particularly weird. It's almost like his height changes throughout the game because there are areas where I'm on flat ground and appear as tall as the rest of the guys, but then when I was next to the scientist I was boob height.

Thrakier

God damn, they don't stop spreading this lag shit in the offical boards...what do you think, will GG react to those complaints in any way?

tribal24

Banned
Thrakier said:
God damn, they don't stop spreading this lag shit in the offical boards...what do you think, will GG react to those complaints in any way?

ugghh i kinda hope they dont tamper with the "lag" thing -_- seriously

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Thrakier said:

GG said they're keeping a close eye on community reaction, so who knows. There only seems to be a handful of people complaining about it here, but the discussions kind of take off and make it look like a much bigger issue than it really is.

The controls really click for me so I hope they don't change anything.

pj

Banned
tribal24 said:
ugghh i kinda hope they dont tamper with the "lag" thing -_- seriously

yeah, seriously, ugghh. I super hope they don't try to make the game control better

uggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lawblob said:
Seriously, are you a dwarf in this game. Standing next to the scientist woman my eyes are level with her stomach. WTF?

:lol I thought the exact same thing.

Only 8 hours into the multiplayer I can declare this my favorite console fps multiplayer
game of all time. Going in with a squad full of guys you know and using the medic to
revive each other and throw med packs while one of you sets up a turrent and everyone is getting shot to hell is some of the most satisfying gameplay I have ever had.

Also getting gun downed by someone and then getting revived before your body hits the
floor to rise from the seeming dead to instantly enact your revenge Kicks Ass.

Nafai1123

Banned
pj325is said:
yeah, seriously, ugghh. I super hope they don't try to make the game control better

uggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

More like COD =/= better...

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with the controls. Just get better.

Barrett2

I love being in a firefight when Rico yells "cover me, im' reloading!" even when im' pretty sure I haven't seen him shoot at anyone in about five minutes. Dude seems to find a way to make me do 99.9% of the killing. -_-

Epcott said:
Fucking Amazon... my shipment won't arrive till damn near March 4th. I don't think I'll ever pre-order with them again, even if they offer game related pajamas or quirks.

Same here man. Im sitting here like a douche while everyone on my friends list is playing this game. IN STOCK means ship the game assholes.

pj

Banned
Nafai1123 said:
More like COD =/= better...

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with the controls. Just get better.

Ok if it's not better then you wouldn't mind if they added in good aiming as an option with a patch?

ruxtpin

Banned
alright - please, no virtual wedgies, but I posted in the KZ2 clan thread and wanted to post here as well... Anyone running an east-coast clan or needing GAF players on their list - send a FR to PSNID: ruxtpin

ugh - If I wasn't at work, I'd be playing right nao. I do have (not this coming week) my springbreak on the 8-13 of March. ... loads of uninterrupted KZ2 :D

comrade

Just finished the game on Veteran and wow the last boss fight pretty much soiled the entire SP experience. Thankfully the MP is all kinds of awesome.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
pj325is said:
Ok if it's not better then you wouldn't mind if they added in good aiming as an option with a patch?
Fix what? I'm an fps noob, and if I can play KZ2 so can everyone else! Nothing's wrong with the game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
lawblob said:

POV is clearly placed on your chest (right side of it). Ask someone online to point his gun to your head and you'll see it will look like he is pointing above/left of you.

Foil

Lion Heart said:
Same here man. Im sitting here like a douche while everyone on my friends list is playing this game. IN STOCK means ship the game assholes.

You guys aren't alone. My order hasn't even been shipped yet. They had no problem charging my card though. What's the point of taking pre-orders if you aren't going to have the game on the first day available...

Zeliard

BruceLeeRoy said:
:lol I thought the exact same thing.

Only 8 hours into the multiplayer I can declare this my favorite console fps multiplayer
game of all time. Going in with a squad full of guys you know and using the medic to
revive each other and throw med packs while one of you sets up a turrent and everyone is getting shot to hell is some of the most satisfying gameplay I have ever had.

Also getting gun downed by someone and then getting revived before your body hits the
floor to rise from the seeming dead to instantly enact your revenge Kicks Ass.

I played in this one Bodycount match last night and at one point I was tagging along with a random medic teammate and we got to a throttle point with tons of enemies on the other side, and I'd go up and take out a few but inevitably get downed in the process. He'd then revive me, and I'd rinse and repeat. We kept doing that for several minutes because nobody was targeting the medic (he was out of view).

The cool thing about it was, since neither of us have mics (yet), it was completely non-verbal. We were just on the same wavelength. Much like in TF2 on the PC, I've been noticing people in general working together pretty naturally in Killzone 2, even with no mic talk. I guess class-based games are just more naturally conducive to teamwork.

Brannon

Applesauce said:
GG said they're keeping a close eye on community reaction, so who knows. There only seems to be a handful of people complaining about it here, but the discussions kind of take off and make it look like a much bigger issue than it really is.

The controls really click for me so I hope they don't change anything.

I got used to it pretty quickly, and so did my nephew (he loves the magnum out of all the weapons), but the issue probably isn't going to go away any time soon. Especially since Guerilla said that the lag was not intentional and that they were going to do something about it.

Also, I'm going to steal your shotgun...

pj

Banned
ilanna said:
Fix what? I'm an fps noob, and if I can play KZ2 so can everyone else! Nothing's wrong with the game.

I'm playing on hard and it's been mostly easy so far, but that's not the point. The stupid controls just make things harder to hit than they should be. It's like the reticule is either moving not enough or too much.

Brannon said:
Especially since Guerilla said that the lag was not intentional and that they were going to do something about it.

WHAT LAG? THERE'S NO LAG. I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS LIBELOUS, DAMAGING TALK. I AM CONSULTING MY LAWYER ON BEHALF OF GG. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD EDIT THAT SENTENCE OUT OF MY POST AND APOLOGIZE.

DrPirate

Banned
methane47 said:
good god this game is difficult on Veteran!!!

I just fought the ATAC.. and LORD HAVE MERCY...I must have died 20 times until I realized I could leave that top perch/balcony thing..

Lmfao, SAME thing happened to me dude.

Then when I tried to run away I was like....OHHHHHH THERES COVER HERE.

Anyways enjoy the game while it's still doable. I just beat the game on Veteran and that final mission was controller-breaking worthy.

Nafai1123

Banned
pj325is said:

If they added this so called "good" aiming (shitloads of autoaim, faster response) then it would drastically change the entire way the game plays. So yes, I would mind...

pj

Banned
Nafai1123 said:
If they added this so called "good" aiming (shitloads of autoaim, faster response) then it would drastically change the entire way the game plays. So yes, I would mind...

It doesn't need shitloads of autoaim, just faster/better response. And who cares if it changes the way the SP plays? You don't gotta use it, and since we've agreed that it's not better, it wouldn't unbalance the multiplayer.

Kolgar

Three levels in and I like the game a lot, but I'm annoyed at the lack of polish in single player.

It's disappointing to clear an area and have everything go silent - everybody looking dumbly at each other - until you walk over to the spot on the ground where you have to stand to trigger the game back to life again.

The freeze-action loads really break up the game, and Sev's five-foot-tall POV is beyond retarded. Seriously, didn't this seem strange to anyone at Guerilla?

The momentum-based aiming seems rather overdone and pointless besides. I can see how it may be innovative or interesting, but it's just too pronounced and makes aiming a chore, especially long-distance, precision aiming.

While I'm complaining, I'll add that the cover system seems finicky and too often, it'll let me look around a corner but not shoot around it. Very frustrating.

Why do the gun sounds drop down so low when someone is talking? That jarred me and stuck out as an odd decision.

Finally, I think the color-draining-from-the-screen "you're dying" effect is a little overdone, and I've died or nearly died a couple of times now because the screen went monochrome and I thought, "I'm dead" when I was really still alive (until the next bullet took me out).

Having said all that, I'm impressed with the game anyway because I LOVE the universe (I have since the original Killzone) and because the visual/audio presentation is so spectacular. The guns feel nice to fire and the characters all seem to have a weight, a presence, that's missing from other games. It all conspires to put you right in the game in a really convincing way.

Also, the soundtrack is phenomenal. Really gripping stuff.

I'm not bothered by the "lack" of a story. The ISA is attacking Helghan, period. How much story does the average real-life soldier dwell on in the heat of a surge of battle? This game is all about the action, and given that videogames are primarily interactive entertainment, I'll take action over story most any day.

Overall, I'm pleased with Killzone 2 and I think the game will consume a lot of playtime in my near future. I do wish the game was more polished in some areas, but on the whole, this stands up quite nicely to other recent heavy-hitters on the consoles.

But I'm expecting Killzone 3 to bring some of these issues up to par with the astounding audiovisuals, no excuses.

ocadman

Everyone was/is right, that chirp sound is awesome! And the controls don't suck, they're just different. Once you get used to it, it's fine.

Ceb

MvmntInGrn said:
I think its just an issue with how the game was made. I remember reading some profiles and sev is at least 6ft tall IIRC.

I'm pretty sure they deliberately put the FOV on the same height as the gun (chest level) so you get to see more of the impressive gun model. Or something.

Going by the full-body shadow of Sev that you get to see sometimes, it's clear that he's taller than your view suggests.

TTP said:
POV is clearly placed on your chest (right side of it). Ask someone online to point his gun to your head and you'll see it will look like he is pointing above/left of you.
This is such a massive pet peeve of mine and it's prevalent in so many FPSs. It was one of my first comments when we originally saw KZ2 gameplay and people acted like I was crazy.

Just the fact that you feel like a gun skimming only a few feet off the ground totally destroys the illusion and sense of body for me. That's one thing I really liked about Mirror's Edge.

Top Bottom