• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Irnbru

Froze for you guys too?
Second time today :X

Edit: Anywho, rediculous fun today, I mean, Wollan, kitton, BlacK, Ice, Full, Revo, everyone, epic ass games man >D

Does anyone have any tips for getting kills with the flying sentry thing? I could have 2 of them running at the same time for a whole game and not get more than 1-2 kills, is there some sort of trick to them or are they as shitty as they seem (for kills that is, they're good for suppression and such.)?

Geoff9920 said:
Is the random freezing a common thing? I was paranoid that it was my ps3. Sucks though, I was having a great game (for me) late last night with a bunch of other GAF'ers and the damn game froze. A potential ~75 points down the drain. Had to call it a night after that.

edit: And I'm not referring the the pause in the singleplayer, I mean the whole game locking up during a multiplayer match.
It just came out of nowhere, too. It was kind of funny because as soon as it froze you could hear everyone start screaming because they thought it was their PS3. :lol

Ephemeris

Danne-Danger said:
Does anyone have any tips for getting kills with the flying sentry thing? I could have 2 of them running at the same time for a whole game and not get more than 1-2 kills, is there some sort of trick to them or are they as shitty as they seem (for kills that is, they're good for suppression and such.)?

Man. I hate those things. I have no tips, they really suck that bad.

With that said, as soon as I got all 8 badges (took FOREVER), I swapped that sucker out for Boost or Repair.

Big-E

Lightning said:
How hard is this game for a non experienced FPS gamer? Like me for example. I want to play this but too hard = ARGH!!

Just don't play it on Veteran, play it on the easy difficulty.

DoomGyver

Ephemeris said:
Man. I hate those things. I have no tips, they really suck that bad.

With that said, as soon as I got all 8 badges (took FOREVER), I swapped that sucker out for Boost or Repair.
You actually got that badge? I can't seem to get more than 3 kills with the damn things.

the only badges I need are air support, melee 10 dudes, and kill 10 people while defending.

Teknoman

Ephemeris said:
15 guys shot 15 rockets simultaneously that ripped a hole in space time that overloaded the Cell's 4D processor.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason. General Ephemeris is rarely wrong.

Probably. I saw something explode in the air then BAM. Frozen.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Lightning said:
How hard is this game for a non experienced FPS gamer? Like me for example. I want to play this but too hard = ARGH!!
Hmm... maybe play it on Easy, and then jack it up to Normal once you get a good handle on the controls? That could work.

Rez said:
Hmm... maybe play it on Easy, and then jack it up to Normal once you get a good handle on the controls? That could work.
indeed.. it's a hard game to beat...
in before elitist fucks come in and say it's easy on veteran...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oh shit! K2 has listening to your own music ingame! Online just got mucho better! :D

Do any other games released in 09 have this?

It's my one huge gripe about this game. Sure, there are other things that bother me, but the controls are just really bugging me. I don't like clicking the left stick to zoom, so I have it on L1, but whenever I use cover, I can't zoom in because it is incredibly uncomfortable to use your middle finger to hold down L2 and use your index finger for L1. Why GG didn't swap R2 (grenades) and L2 (cover) for this control scheme I'll never know.

I've also noticed a recurring problem with PS3 FPS games: after a little while, my hands start to hurt, and I am forced to stop playing the game. It sucks.

Psychotext said:
I completed it on Veteran, but even on easy there are some places which I don't think a non FPS player would be able to get past.
yeah, i'm on the final level on veteran, and when i'm finished i will check the difference between this and easy. i'm going for a trophy whore run next :p

Guled

holy shit this game is awesome, best MP game I've played on consoles bar none. Playing with GAF is really fun, most servers are filled with noobs, but you guys are so skilled. BTW, how long do you guys think it will take to get the scout?

Boulayman

Been playing the game on normal, and I am having a pretty hard time, just reached the bridge mission but there was a point in the mission before where I had to blow a mortar in this very wide warehouse but there were people shooting from upstairs with those machines so you had to cross very fast to reach a door with some hellghast then climb a ladder to go upstairs and fight against quite a few hellghast on you own... I died at least a dozen times ^^

-viper-

Banned
32 player games need to die.

I fucking HATE them. They're so mindless and stupid.

Can the person making the GAF TIME TO DIE servers please put the player limit to 26 instead?

JB1981

-viper- said:

Can the person making the GAF TIME TO DIE servers please put the player limit to 26 instead?
Join us later on tonight. Either ThirdEngine or myself will create a game, 24 players tops. Good times had by all.

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
It just came out of nowhere, too. It was kind of funny because as soon as it froze you could hear everyone start screaming because they thought it was their PS3. :lol
That did suck but it was reassuring to know it was everybody and not just me. :p
I was on such a roll that match. Tonight shall be good stuff though, hopefully many more hours of MP.

edit:
JB1981 said:
Join us later on tonight. Either ThirdEngine or myself will create a game, 24 players tops. Good times had by all.
Seriously, those matches were epic. I'm sure someone will make a post when we're playing with the games name and all that for maximum Gaf-age.

DoomGyver

-viper- said:

Was planning on doing that.

Do you guys think I should Force Factions? When I let people choose it always gets lopsided.

Teknoman

-viper- said:

32 are awesome on large maps with mixed classes.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Full Recovery said:

Do you guys think I should Force Factions? When I let people choose it always gets lopsided.

I used to get reaaally angry at people for doing that. Even though they SHOULD choose auto team pick when they join unless they have a good reason not to (a friend or something), this is really Guerilla's fault. You can't SEE the balance of factions when you join, and you can't CHANGE mid game (from what I can see) either.

This game's lucky it's so fun and rewarding, because a lot of these little speed bumps and annoyances are really maddening at times.

Ephemeris

Full Recovery said:
You actually got that badge? I can't seem to get more than 3 kills with the damn things.

the only badges I need are air support, melee 10 dudes, and kill 10 people while defending.

Yeah, last one I got. I am about 6/8 in melee, 0/8 in the kill-ten-while-defending. 6/8 in S&D (I defused the bomb in the last GAF game FTW), 6/8 in repair, 6/8 with the first medic.. bah. Still some others I haven't listed.

Full Recovery said:

My stats on Killzone.com say I'm an ISA dog. So I forcing myself to join the helghast.
So no please. But, if the lopsidedness persists, definitely change it.

iceatcs

Finally, I'm think I can play. I was virtually unplayable due massive virus. Full symptom effect :(

Damn you virus won't let me go on level 3/4 nor multi early.

At least I lost one pound :)

Dirtbag

how did these menu's possibly get approved.

they are complete dogshit.
Can you imagine how irritating they will be after twitching like this for 3+ months of play. FUCK they actually piss me off just navigating them. they kind of lag on top of the visual suckage also.

Horrible decision.

BOOOO!

jsrv

Lightning said:

Single player mode seems pretty easy, watched someone play it on my PS3 on normal mode using nothing but a knife for kicks, and got pretty far. He hasn't played a console FPS in ages too.

Multiplayer though from my experience, starts out very easy, and the difficulty curve rises dramatically if you can't keep up with the rising player skill level as the ranks go up higher. I think they should have an option to join matches with players of even or close skill level rather than even or close rank. Then again, this is practically my first console FPS that I played for more than a couple of hours or just casually at other friends' house.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I must be the only one who thinks the menus are cool.

TheFatOne

I need to play in a GAF room in order to get better. I am doing ok so far in mp but the controls haven't quite clicked for me yet. Are there any GAF rooms up or is anyone going to set one up later?

Maggot9

Banned
Something about the sub-30fps framerate in multiplayer + controls make me not want to play 32 player multiplayer games. makes the close quarters combat pretty shit.

there also feels like some weird 1 second delay when you kill someone, even with a headshot.

Dragnet

Hey, could any euroGAF add my PSN? It's just Dragnet. I need to get it on some of this action :D

Just unlocked Engineer....you know, I'm not enjoying it. I think I'll go back to Medic for the time being. Turrets seem ineffective and too easy to blow up, and the shotty really isn't my gun. On to Tactician!

mr_nothin

Banned
Maggot9 said:
Something about the sub-30fps framerate in multiplayer + controls make me not want to play 32 player multiplayer games. makes the close quarters combat pretty shit.

there also feels like some weird 1 second delay when you kill someone, even with a headshot.
That really only happens with a shitty server. I've been on awesome 32 player servers where everything was instant and there were minimum Double Kills.

It depends on the server. I wish they gave us an idea of latency/ping.

Ephemeris

Dragnet said:
Hey, could any euroGAF add my PSN? It's just Dragnet. I need to get it on some of this action :D

Just unlocked Engineer....you know, I'm not enjoying it. I think I'll go back to Medic for the time being. Turrets seem ineffective and too easy to blow up, and the shotty really isn't my gun. On to Tactician!

For the record, Turrets > Air support.

And Tactician > your fave class.

: P

Today at work (Circuit City) one of the other guys brought in their copy of KZ. During my break I played the first two levels on our big display system. I literally had people coming up to me every minute asking what game I was playing. And about half a dozen little kids sat down in front of the tv and watched me play for an hour. The game clearly has an audience it can find. Sony just needs to keep marketing it.

This game just proves that there is NO be all end all controller contrary to popular belief. People probably think this would so much better with a 360 pad but can you imagine sticking to a wall with L2 and firing with LB? Or even vice versa? Im not dogging on the 360 controller cause I love it as an alternative, and it unquestionably is better for Halo/COD, but to say that it is better PERIOD just isnt true.

belvedere

Junior Butler
For people getting frustrated with multiplayer get a beer and give it a chance to click. Once you get into a groove you're hooked.

Happened to me and my buddy both. After you get the hang of it, it's so fucking worth it.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I like the menu aesthetic but hate fucking hate fucking HATE the static interfernce. It's jarring and annoying and completely unnecessary.

lawblob said:
Seriously, are you a dwarf in this game. Standing next to the scientist woman my eyes are level with her stomach. WTF?

I have explained this several times I believe. The view of the game is from the gun, not the characters eyes. The players do not run around the game all the time with the gun up to their eyes, they have the gun down to their side, around their stomach as they run around. The gun is not planted to the middle of the forehead of a midget running around.

Look at how characters run around, they hold the gun down by their side.

If they actually had the view of the game from the characters eyes, to make the character look 6 feet tall, then your view would be above the gun, making it nearly impossible to aim from the hip because of the perspective of looking over the top of your gun and trying to get a crosshair on someone.

Now when you look down the scope by holding L1 to aim, the characters head goes down some and the gun comes up, meeting each other halfway. This should make the character look/feel a little taller, but it doesn't. HOWEVER, if they did it this way, you could not be able to line something up from the hip, then hold L1 to aim and shoot, since the gun would actually move up and off your target as it goes to your eye.

It is a videogame. Imagine your character has a camera in the middle of his chest/stomach, that is the view you have. That is the view you have so you can easily aim from the hip.

If you did feel like you were 6 feet tall, then people would say, "OMG, are these guys running around with the gun sticking to their forhead??"" or "DUDE, this is so unrealistic, it is like my guy is running around with the gun up to his face the whole time, my gun is like 6 feet off the ground.

Go grab an assault rifle, run around with it as if you are running for your life, but still ready to kill something that may jump out at you, you would not run around with the gun up by your head, you would run around like THIS, ready to shoot.

11315047_ori.jpg

Now, look at ARRRRRnold. I know this is an awful example. But this is kinda how you run in KZ2. The camera angle is from the middle of your chest so you can easily aim the weapon you are holding at your side, like ARRRRRnold. Notice how ARRRRnold's gun is probably 3-4 feet from the ground when he walks around, that is the same perspective in Killzone 2. Some look at it as being a dwarf, I look at it as a videogame trying to be a little more realistic.

Other games have done it better, but if you would really think of the Perspective in other FPS, it is like the gun is 6 feet off the ground. Who would really run around with their gun up by their face or above their head? In a real war, you would not run around like this all the time if you were trying to be fast, but also protect yourself. This is how they would run around in Killzone 2, if you think about it, if you wanted to "feel" 6 feet tall.

SuperStock_1570R-119953.jpg

Top Bottom