• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Zen

Banned
MvmntInGrn said:
It is possible they will just go counter attack Vekta or Earth though I think.

It shows them heading towards the ISA carriers, though, at least that was my impression from how they angled the shot with the ISA Carriers near the end

Teetris said:
That's mostly from people who just picked the game up, play 5 minutes and go: OMFG this isn't like COD AT ALL. Then go on GAF to post it.

Also, I always think of FF7 Midgar when playing on the MP maps. So awesome! :D

i play all my fps games on pc, so its really hard for me, its like playing using my feet to aim... :lol

and pish at cod, ut99 and natural selection is where its truely at

Atrophis

I played with a few GAFers today, but damn i didnt have much fun. I quit 32 player games from now on i think, so mindless.

People love to point to high max players in MP as a nice bullet point on the back of the game box, but that doesnt mean it automatically makes for better MP. Bigger does not equal better in this case methinks.

Atrophis said:
I played with a few GAFers today, but damn i didnt have much fun. I quit 32 player games from now on i think, so mindless.

People love to point to high max players in MP as a nice bullet point on the back of the game box, but that doesnt mean it automatically makes for better MP. Bigger does not equal better in this case methinks.

it can, 64 player battlefield 1942 games were awesome back in the day, felt like a war with those big ass maps. depends on the game I guess

ZombieSupaStar said:
i play all my fps games on pc, so its really hard for me, its like playing using my feet to aim... :lol

Eh, you'll get used to them. This is pretty much my first console FPS as well and it feels pretty much fine after a few hours. You'll never get M/K precision and speed but everyone has the same handicap.

Just play skirmish with a podcast running or something for a while.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
ZombieSupaStar said:

Then it's understandable yes. I know people who only play console FPS and then laugh at me when I let them try out a PC FPS.

I guess you've just got to stick with it. Might take a week before you get slightly used to it, but it'll be so worth it.

Zeliard

ZombieSupaStar said:

You'll adapt. I play pretty much every FPS on the PC as well and it clicked. When it clicks, it feels great, and the way other console shooters control starts to feel inferior.

Jostifer

Hip shooting and Ironsights use should be 97%/3% respectively (unless you're using a sniper rifle) and I believe that's what the people who can't handle it misunderstand (though sp requires a bit more scoping). I basically do hip shooting for everything which is ~70meters or closer. I go whole matches (and many) without ever pulling up the scope. The controls and feel of this game is beyond the current console norm.
In COD4 I use scope in about 60% of my kills, in KZ2 it's 3% or less. Use hip shooting.

Dirtbag

ZombieSupaStar said:
I spend about half my time online just figthing with the aiming. When it clicks though, I can mow people down.
It just feels so inconsistent. There is no reason anyone should be so accurate firing from the hip (especially when iron sighting is so inaccurate) and all within a game that is striving for realism.

What's really puzzling me is the "I kill you" while "you kill me" deaths I'm getting about every third kill. Something is definitely up with the netcode / latency, when it happens as often as I'm getting it.

This game is so incredibly frustrating and addicting all at once. It's like a heroin addiction.

Jostifer said:
Hip shooting and Ironsights use should be 97%/3% respectively (unless you're using a sniper rifle) and I believe that's what the people who can't handle it misunderstand (though sp requires a bit more scoping). I basically do hip shooting for everything which is ~70meters or closer. I go whole matches (and many) without ever pulling up the scope. The controls and feel of this game is beyond the current console norm.
In COD4 I use scope in about 60% of my kills, in KZ2 it's 3% or less. Use hip shooting.

I agree this is the only way to remain effective, but its just seems so stupid that it should play like this. The game has way too much range (both vertically and horizontally) built into the maps for the ironsights to be so ineffective.

Thrakier

duk said:
so many controller complaints sighs

still looking forward to picking it up soon

I feel the same. KZ2 is here but the console is defect. There is so much negativity that I lost any interest to play the game besides a rush through the SP. I know that's my fault but it affects me the same as with the R2 negativity. We really need an official statement from GG regarding this lag hoax.

Dirtbag said:
I spend about half my time online just figthing with the aiming. When it clicks though, I can mow people down.
It just feels so inconsistent. There is no reason anyone should be so accurate firing from the hip (especially when iron sighting is so inaccurate) and all within a game that is striving for realism.

What's really puzzling me is the "I kill you" while "you kill me" deaths I'm getting about every third kill. Something is definitely up with the netcode / latency, when it happens as often as I'm getting it.

Agreed on the "I kill you" while "you kill me." That quite simply cannot happen that regularly. Both players bullets must be midair :p

mr_nothin

Banned
Jostifer said:
In the beta, it was more like 60/40 % when it came to hopshooting/ironsight

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
CharpyImpact said:
Agreed on the "I kill you" while "you kill me." That quite simply cannot happen that regularly. Both players bullets must be midair :p

Yeah! I definitely was thinking the same thing today. SOOOO many simultaneous deaths. And other times, there's NO WAY my opponent could have survived my barrage yet they turn around like nothing happened and shoot me in the face.

Anyway, I loved today's gaf games. I just follow ice chai around.

Jostifer

Saying hip shooting though it's not regular 'run and gun' hip shooting as in other games. It ranges from that to going down on your knees and taking (non scope) aim.

what is this lag hoax all about now?

maybe its me trying to use iron sites? i pretty much go to those and get rolled because im moving at .0005mph swinging my aim while i get pegged, untill i unlock sniper in just hurf durfing rambo hip shooting and pineapple chuckin.

Shearie

32 player games would be great with friendly fire on. We should start playing like that in our GAF games. Although with the amount of people bitching on my team in the last GAF game, lots of words will be exchanged with people accidently shooting people in the back.

RavenFox

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
100% true, actually...

Unless you gain grown and pass the invisible "stop spawning" switch, the enemies will continue spawning in certain set pieces.

Prime example: On the train, when you get to the part with the tank that you need to blow up. If you kill the four enemies, you have 10 seconds to run and grab a missile launcher, before the next wave respawns.

I have no idea how you guys missed this. It's painfully obvious when you play on Veteran.
That part was a chore I tell ya. AGRESSIVE BASTARDS:lol

Facism

ZombieSupaStar said:

You play NS? Your shrink says you need an outlet for your aggression? :D

mr_nothin

Banned
commish said:
Yeah! I definitely was thinking the same thing today. SOOOO many simultaneous deaths. And other times, there's NO WAY my opponent could have survived my barrage yet they turn around like nothing happened and shoot me in the face.

Thats all because of the lag.
It makes it seem like there's alot more recoil and that people are bullet sponges and headshots dont count. It also makes the "double kill" thing happen more often than usual. They REALLY need to add a latency/ping displayer.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
In multiplayer, I'd rather it just load the next map. I feel like I spend too much time voting/in lobby/loading.

Zeliard

Dirtbag said:

The reason aiming from the hip is so accurate is probably because they don't want everyone in MP just aiming down the sights since, given the already slow-paced nature of the game, it would just slow things down too much. I think that's why they also removed the cover system from MP, since in testing they found players wanted a quicker pace and just ignored it.

Also, about firing from the hip, there's still tons of recoil so that helps to offset its general accuracy.

Dirtbag said:

That does happen, it's odd. I think some of it might have to do with the death animations, as well, in terms of when the guy dies and when it actually registers it as a death. Could also be random lag spikes. Tough to tell when we can't check our connection to the server.

Y2Kev said:
In multiplayer, I'd rather it just load the next map. I feel like I spend too much time voting/in lobby/loading.

This, too. There's too much seemingly unnecessary loading to get to the next game.

commish said:

Indeed, stalking a gaffer is the best way to do it. I just annoyed WHOAguitarninja. It was good fun.

TheFatOne

ZombieSupaStar said:
what is this lag hoax all about now?

maybe its me trying to use iron sites? i pretty much go to those and get rolled because im moving at .0005mph swinging my aim while i get pegged, untill i unlock sniper in just hurf durfing rambo hip shooting and pineapple chuckin.

Its no hoax its also happening to me as well. I have only played 32 player games so maybe that has something to do with it.

DoomGyver

TheFatOne said:
Any other GAF games going on?
I'm going to create a new one. it'll be called GAF TIME TO DIE! like always.

I'm changing up some of the times and points, and also limiting it to 26 people so it's not so mindless carnage.

Look for it in about 3 minutes.

Edit: and its up.

TheFatOne

Full Recovery said:

I'm changing up some of the times and points, and also limiting it to 26 people so it's not so mindless carnage.

nice good way to get better by playing people way better than I am.

Shearie

What's wrong with two people killing each other in the same time? If two people are shooting at each other simultaneously, the guys bullets don't disappear just because he got mowed down.

ZombieSupaStar said:
ugh i hate these controls, im starting to regret my purchase...

Word. My initial reaction yesterday. But after spending a lot of trial and error on Veteran difficulty, I found myself improving a lot online. It's not perfect, but I'm at least finding it very enjoyable.

-viper-

Banned
Full Recovery said:

Edit: and its up.
Just put it to 24. That should be completely fine.

32 is awful though. I happen to die as I respawn :\

Dirtbag

Shearie said:
What's wrong with two people killing each other in the same time? If two people are shooting at each other simultaneously, the guys bullets don't disappear just because he got mowed down.

Happening once and while would be more of a "whoa!" moment, and totally fine.
Happening multiple times a match however... it's a mistake.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Shearie said:

15+ years of FPS tell me that it should never happen with the frequency it does in KZ2. I'm not complaining, really, since it happens to my advantage as much as it does to my detriment, but it's noticeable.

TheFatOne

ZombieSupaStar said:
what is it?

Basically this

Dirtbag said:

I kill you you somehow get me when your supposed to be dead. I'm not sure if its lag or just me but its been hapening.

Victrix

*beard*
Shearie said:

Most online shooters don't actually 'fire bullets', they do a hitscan check and instantly hit a target. In the case of 'real' guns, they usually aren't completely accurate, and have recoil/random clustering for the 'bullet hits'.

Why people are wondering is because this is really strange behavior - there's two possibilities; either the various guns in kz2 use actual projectiles (very unlikely), or they have some seriously, seriously wonky prediction code at work. Or I guess there might also be bleed damage, but I haven't witnessed that.

This sort of prediction is generally masked by having it client side, but this is why eg, in CoD4 what you did and what showed up on the killcam when 'that guy I totally shot but he killed me it was bs' don't always match up.

I *think* this game is using client/server, not peer to peer, but I could be wrong. That makes this kind of behavior even more odd.

Shearie

To Dirtbag:

How is it a mistake? You're playing a game where people are getting up in people's faces and spraying bullets constantly. It's bound to happen a lot.

Thrakier

TheFatOne said:
Its no hoax its also happening to me as well. I have only played 32 player games so maybe that has something to do with it.

Argh, no, I wasn't talking about internet lag. I don't know about that. I was just talking about the "controller lag". This is a hoax.

Zeliard

Shearie said:
What's wrong with two people killing each other in the same time? If two people are shooting at each other at the same time, the guys bullets don't disappear just because he got mowed down.

It's a case where, some of the time, one of the two dies before the other yet keeps shooting and inevitably kills the other person.

There have been times where someone kills me and then I watch him fall and die from my bullets afterwards. And vice versa. The reason I don't know if it's lag or not is because the message comes up immediately telling me I killed him, but the actual character model takes a second to fall to his death. Seems like if it was lag from the server, the message would also be delayed. I've also seen that in single-player, so who knows. I think it's a glitch with the hit-detection.

commish said:
15+ years of FPS tell me that it should never happen with the frequency it does in KZ2. I'm not complaining, really, since it happens to my advantage as much as it does to my detriment, but it's noticeable.
It was way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse in MGO though, if that's any comfort. :p

SonComet

Thrakier said:
I feel the same. KZ2 is here but the console is defect. There is so much negativity that I lost any interest to play the game besides a rush through the SP. I know that's my fault but it affects me the same as with the R2 negativity. We really need an official statement from GG regarding this lag hoax.
If it affects you that much the trick is to never read a neogaf about a popular game after the hype dies (usually the day after release). If something is super anticipated people get these bloated expectations about what a game should be, and will hate it even if it turned out really well. I have fallen victim to this before. I hated Gears of War after playing through it due to my massive expectations, but after my second play through I realized I was an idiot. Same thing happened to me with R2, but I actually now really like the game after playing through it twice. This game has no more glitches or quirks than other competing FPS games, but people will tear it apart for having them. Just like people tore Halo 3 apart for choosing fantastic HDR and 640p, over 720p with AA.

I do wish that there was an install option to get rid of the split second pauses while the game loads. But they didn't bother me much in Halo 3, and they don't really bother me a whole lot here. I just hope they keep an optional install in mind for KZ3.

I hate Rico so much. I wish they would've killed him off

Top Bottom