• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Facism

ZombieSupaStar said:
Follow Me, This way!

G4B2s old reg, 187 old reg, currently playing on BAD

*chuckles*

I'm euro, and i only vaguely remember 187s. Used to be YO, Titan's and VH2 regular.

These days you'll find me on able.ns or VH2 classic servers. Never NSTalent server, head admin is a raging racist homophobic chode.

on topic, last boss spoilers:

Jesus fuck that was cheap as shyte on Veteran. Radec is like fronting with his boys, saying 'i'll deal with these two.' Then he throws a whole cunt army at you. With rocket launchers. Glad he topped himself.

Zedsdeadbaby said:
If it's viewed from the gun, how do you explain the aiming mode? The camera doesn't shift to the actual character's eyes, the gun's sights shifts to the so-called camera. This is the biggest and most obvious implication that it's from the character's eyes anyway. It doesn't bother me in the slightest but I think that sometimes people just make up the most convoluted and unnecessary justifications for the most trivial stuff around.

Yeah, that is where I said it takes the liberties of being a videogame. If you notice in Killzone 2, if you have your crosshairs on something, and then hit L1 to zoom, your site through the scope is basically exactly aimed where you had your crosshairs before you hit L1 to zoom.

If it had an animation or the gun moved up to your eyes, then it would/should move the gun off of the target. Then we would all complain about how awful it is that once you zoom in, you have to "re-aim."

I am not saying I like the way the line of perspective and point of view is in Killzone 2. I am not defending it either. I just understand what they were trying to do in the realms of reality in a video game.

I feel that you calling my explanation for the perspective "most convoluted and unnecessary justifications" to be pretty unnecessary. I am not condoning it, I am not defending it, I am trying to explain it to the people that are struggling with the perspective making you feel like a dwarf.

And how in the world does the camera, which I explained very thoroughly is basically more from the characters chest, all the sudden looking down a scope when you hit L1 just prove that the perspective of the game is from the eyes of a 4ft person?

Do you think GG is stupid? THey knew what they were doing. They didn't say "Hey, lets make the main character appear like a midget when you play, but not in cutscenes~!"

When you aim, the gun does nothing more than move closer to the camera, which is still around your chest. They could have done it better, yes. They could have had an animation where it raises up to your eyes. But that would still raise the gun 2-3 more feet off the ground, moving it 2-3 feet higher than it was before you zoomed in, and giving you a totally different perspective of where you were aiming before you zoomed in, if it were done correctly. This would be frustrating and, again, would make you have to "re-aim" every time you zoom.

This is still a videogame, not real life. YOu are going to have to accept you are playing Killzone 2 for the PS3 and not Real World Virtual Army Simulater Super Tron XL 2025 Training Game.

Now if you would like to explain your opinion a little more, then I would be willing to listen. I know you feel the game is played from the view of " the character's eyes" but that would mean that GG basically created this game and played it for over 4 years, had the online up and running for the past 3 years, without noticing for one second that you were a 3 foot dwarf. It looks the way they intended it to look. It is a game played from a camera angle in the middle of the player's chest for all the reasons I have explained in my last 2 posts.

Shearie

If it's because of lag, then it's a small problem. I guess I'm just looking at it from a realistic point of view and don't see anything wrong with it.

EDIT: Sorry, I can't quote because I'm typing this on the PS3

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Had my first 100+ point round jsut now. The controls are meshing more and more with my hands gradually.

Thrakier

SonComet said:
If it affects you that much the trick is to never read a neogaf about a popular game after the hype dies (usually the day after release). If something is super anticipated people get these bloated expectations about what a game should be, and will hate it even if it turned out really well. I have fallen victim to this before. I hated Gears of War after playing through it due to my massive expectations, but after my second play through I realized I was an idiot. Same thing happened to me with R2, but I actually now really like the game after playing through it twice. This game has no more glitches or quirks than other competing FPS games, but people will tear it apart for having them. Just like people tore Halo 3 apart for choosing fantastic HDR and 640p, over 720p with AA.

I do wish that there was an install option to get rid of the split second pauses while the game loads. But they didn't bother me much in Halo 3, and they don't really bother me a whole lot here. I just hope they keep an optional install in mind for KZ3.

I hate Rico so much. I wish they would've killed him off

Yeah, I know, you are totally right. But stop reading message boards etc. would kill half of the fun I have with videogames. I know, it's a strange relationship. At the moment I'm just very very pissed. I thought what happend with R2 would never happen to KZ2 and now it happens again. :(

The only thing I would like to know is how Kittowny feels. He was VERY annoying in the R2 thread. ;)

Raist

Banned
IMO the ONLY map working fine with 32 pl. is the desert one.
One or two are okayish, the other ones are barely playable.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
3rdamention said:
Yeah, that is where I said it takes the liberties of being a videogame. If you notice in Killzone 2, if you have your crosshairs on something, and then hit L1 to zoom, your site through the scope is basically exactly aimed where you had your crosshairs before you hit L1 to zoom.

If it had an animation or the gun moved up to your eyes, then it would/should move the gun off of the target. Then we would all complain about how awful it is that once you zoom in, you have to "re-aim."

I am not saying I like the way the line of perspective and point of view is in Killzone 2. I am not defending it either. I just understand what they were trying to do in the realms of reality in a video game.

I feel that you calling my explanation for the perspective "most convoluted and unnecessary justifications" to be pretty unnecessary. I am not condoning it, I am not defending it, I am trying to explain it to the people that are struggling with the perspective making you feel like a dwarf.

And how in the world does the camera, which I explained very thoroughly is basically more from the characters chest, all the sudden looking down a scope when you hit L1 just prove that the perspective of the game is from the eyes of a 4ft person?

Do you think GG is stupid? THey knew what they were doing. They didn't say "Hey, lets make the main character appear like a midget when you play, but not in cutscenes~!"

When you aim, the gun does nothing more than move closer to the camera, which is still around your chest. They could have done it better, yes. They could have had an animation where it raises up to your eyes. But that would still raise the gun 2-3 more feet off the ground, moving it 2-3 feet higher than it was before you zoomed in, and giving you a totally different perspective of where you were aiming before you zoomed in, if it were done correctly. This would be frustrating and, again, would make you have to "re-aim" every time you zoom.

This is still a videogame, not real life. YOu are going to have to accept you are playing Killzone 2 for the PS3 and not Real World Virtual Army Simulater Super Tron XL 2025 Training Game.

Now if you would like to explain your opinion a little more, then I would be willing to listen. I know you feel the game is played from the view of " the character's eyes" but that would mean that GG basically created this game and played it for over 4 years, had the online up and running for the past 3 years, without noticing for one second that you were a 3 foot dwarf. It looks the way they intended it to look. It is a game played from a camera angle in the middle of the player's chest for all the reasons I have explained in my last 2 posts.
I think you're taking this way too seriously.

SonComet

3rdamention said:
Your explanation of the low viewpoint is something that I've read before, and it does make complete sense when explaining why the camera is the way it is in the game. It didn't cause me any distress while playing it, but I would be totally for an update the made the view from the eye (like all other fps games). I don't care if it would look dumb since I don't see the character while playing.

I doubt they'll patch the option in, but you never know. Bioshock got it's FOV fixed after enough people bitched about it. So I'll let people bitch about this too, since it is really my only complaint with the presentation other than the minor loading pauses.

Thrakier said:
Yeah, I know, you are totally right. But stop reading message boards etc. would kill half of the fun I have with videogames. I know, it's a strange relationship. At the moment I'm just very very pissed. I thought what happend with R2 would never happen to KZ2 and now it happens again. :(

The only thing I would like to know is how Kittowny feels. He was VERY annoying in the R2 thread. ;)
He and tha_con made me totally ignore the R2 threads on this forum and B3D. They both went absolutely nuts on the opposite sides of the fence for that game :lol.

nataku

I'm so bad at aiming in this game. I can't get used to it. I just can't stop over shooting the cursor past what I'm trying to hit when trying to aim under cover. It feels like small adjustments are really slow, but large adjustments are too fast.

nataku said:
I'm so bad at aiming in this game. I can't get used to it. I just can't stop over shooting the cursor past what I'm trying to hit when trying to aim under cover. It feels like small adjustments are really slow, but large adjustments are too fast.
Try lowering the sensitivity, play against bots on easy and practice tracking them with hip-fire. Then gradually increase the sens.

Did the trick for me.

Dirtbag

Shearie said:
To Dirtbag:

How is it a mistake? You're playing a game where people are getting up in people's faces and spraying bullets constantly. It's bound to happen a lot.

basically this:

commish said:
15+ years of FPS tell me that it should never happen with the frequency it does in KZ2.

If you want to argue some sort of realism bullshit.... a close range burst will at least fling your arms about, likely losing control of the gun so any spray of bullets you might happen to squeeze off should at least be erratic. These are not, these are clean shots, and its obvious what is happening to anyone with any time behind the wheel of an online FPS.

dfyb

Banned
so when i'm in
the palace and i'm fighting from the second floor against radec and his troops, am i supposed to be doing something besides firing at helghast? like am i supposed to be trying to shoot radec from across the room? what's with that electricity sound -- is that significant? i keep trying to just kill helghast and survive but wave after wave comes and i keep dying (playing on veteran).
just want to be sure i'm not missing something...

dfyb said:
so when i'm in
the palace and i'm fighting from the second floor against radec and his troops, am i supposed to be doing something besides firing at helghast? like am i supposed to be trying to shoot radec from across the room? what's with that electricity sound -- is that significant? i keep trying to just kill helghast and survive but wave after wave comes and i keep dying (playing on veteran).
Sadly you're not missing anything... it's just a really shitty encounter.

DrBo42

nataku said:
For me it's just the analog sticks on the PS3, I hate them. Slowly getting more acclimated to aiming in this game but it's frustrating. Which is weird because I did fine in games like R2 and MGO.

dfyb said:
so when i'm in

The sound is him cloaking/decloaking. Shooting the waves of troops was good enough for me. I popped him with a few shots, but I don't think that had any impact. Killing the last individual Hig would always trigger the next wave sequence (checkpoint)

This game is absolutely awesome and challenging. Who can actually rush through this game unless they tried easy. These are the best graphics I have ever seen and the framerate even keeps up with the action. Amazing. Now I am seeing why this console was $600. The Helghast are my favorite enemies ever.

These are the best graphics I have ever seen, and I am so glad I own a ps3. Thank you Sony for actually delivering for once. With all the problems with the aiming lag I still can't tear myself away from that MP. Killzone 2 is sick.

Melfice7

Seriously anyone got any tips for the RPG guys on the
palace?
almost impossible to snipe theres no time before i get bombarded with rockets

on veteran btw

CHRP718

Banned
Anybody think the x-y sensitivity for MP is a little high?
I dropped it down a couple notches and it felt like the Beta (which I thought was perfect) :D

Clinton514

CHRP718 said:
I dropped it down a couple notches and it felt like the Beta( which I thought was perfect) :D
Agreed. At first I thought I was just losing it.

Also, I noticed some different lighting and grain filters in Radec Academy. I kind of liked it better in the beta but not by any means terrible in this final release.

raYne

Lion Heart said:
This game just proves that there is NO be all end all controller contrary to popular belief. People probably think this would so much better with a 360 pad but can you imagine sticking to a wall with L2 and firing with LB? Or even vice versa? Im not dogging on the 360 controller cause I love it as an alternative, and it unquestionably is better for Halo/COD, but to say that it is better PERIOD just isnt true.
Anyone who'd consider the bolded deserves a fate more than death.

CHRP718 said:
I dropped it down a couple notches and it felt like the Beta( which I thought was perfect) :D

You sir are fucking insane in the MP, you and Full Recovery.

KZObsessed

Melfice7 said:
palace?

on veteran btw

Go to the left near the stairs and grenade launcher them.

Melfice7 said:
palace?

on veteran btw

I just went to the left stair case, shot the first guy and ran up to the RPG dude and melee killed him, on veteran too and then killed the other guys by either melee or shooting.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I need to repeat myself and state how amazing this game is. Things just go through the roof right at about the chapter 4 area. Roller coaster and a hell of a great time. It has that high intense action packed feel to it. GG's really did deliver on this one.

Chiggs

Gold Member
The friendly A.I. is some of the worst I have ever seen. Playing on Veteran, and these fucking idiots will walk right into an orgy of Helghasts without evening thinking twice, all the while yelling "JESUS, SETH, FIND SOME COVER!"

And then there's the issue of them blocking you constantly as you run for safety. So frustrating.

Shearie

Asshole Dirtbag said:
If you want to argue some sort of realism bullshit.... a close range burst will at least fling your arms about, likely losing control of the gun so any spray of bullets you might happen to squeeze off should at least be erratic. These are not, these are clean shots, and its obvious what is happening to anyone with any time behind the wheel of an online FPS.

Sure, that's one variable that can happen; another is that both person's bullets can hit each other and kill them both. You don't think that's possible if a bunch of people start firing automatic weapon's at each other? Maybe you and a friend can have a Mexican Standoff with automatic firearms on your frontyard to test this theory.....

Dirtbag

Shearie said:
Sure, that's one variable that can happen; another is that both person's bullets can hit each other and kill them both. You don't think that's possible if a bunch of people start firing automatic weapon's at each other? Maybe you and a friend can have a Mexican Standoff with automatic firearms on your frontyard to test this theory.....

Don't be so obtuse.
I have no doubt in my mind that this is a product of the netcode.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Loving the game so far... but...

Why the hell are the voices coming over radio like five times louder than normal voices? Everytime someone spouts out some poorly-written obnoxious cliche over the radio, it comes SCREAMING out of my fucking speakers. I then turn "voice" down in the options, then I can't hear what anyone is saying when they're not on the radio.

Man that is annoying.

Victrix

*beard*
Shearie said:

Do you think that is air you are breathing?

A better analogy for the way most online shooters do assault rifles/etc is to imagine you're running around with a .2 to .3 second delay on all of your actions, firing a rapidfire, highly inaccurate lasertag gun.

What you're not doing 99% of the time is running around firing simulated bullets that can 'leave the barrel' and 'kill each other in mid flight'

Top Bottom