• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Shearie

Dirtbag said:
Don't be so obtuse.
I have no doubt in my mind that this is a product of the netcode.

It may or not be. Who gives a shit? It's not like any of us have any conclusive proof on the matter.

FightyF

Banned
I played a little SP but seriously those controls are getting to me (I'm using Alt 2).

All they really need to do is enable toggle crouch, and I'd be more fine with it.

I'm liking the MP though. The gunplay is a bit wonky, but the teamwork more than makes up for it.

Gonna check the Online Thread, hopefully we get some GAF games tonight.

Clinton514

LiquidMetal14 said:
I need to repeat myself and state how amazing this game is. Things just go through the roof right at about the chapter 4 area. Roller coaster and a hell of a great time. It has that high intense action packed feel to it. GG's really did deliver on this one.
I'm not finished but it becomes more intense! The pacing is pretty good.

Dirtbag

Shearie said:
It may or not be. Who gives a shit? It's not like any of us have any conclusive proof on the matter.

You gave a shit, otherwise you wouldn't have commented.
I give a shit because its yet another area of this game that feels unresponsive to me.

Chiggs

Gold Member
SSM25 said:
shit, I'm about to quit on my most anticipated game this generation. I'm disappointed.

You're not the only one. I'm basically trudging through the tedious chore of the SP to admire the graphics.

Zen

Banned
SSM25 said:
I feel you man, I totally suck at hitting people :mad:

Turn down your sensitivity. I have mines at 4, 3. I can't hit shit otherwise, but now this sensitivity works great for me.

Shearie

Do you think that is air you are breathing?

A better analogy for the way most online shooters do assault rifles/etc is to imagine you're running around with a .2 to .3 second delay on all of your actions, firing a rapidfire, highly inaccurate lasertag gun.

What you're not doing 99% of the time is running around firing simulated bullets that can 'leave the barrel' and 'kill each other in mid flight'

For fucks sake! It can happen. To make it easier, you and a friend in the game fire two rockets at each other.

Lag might be taking part in this too. I'm not denying that. But why stop the fun? Let's argue this all night.

Shearie

Dipshit Dirtbag said:
You gave a shit, otherwise you wouldn't have commented.
I give a shit because its yet another area of this game that feels unresponsive to me.

I don't give a shit. They can "fix" it or not for all I care and it wouldn't make a difference to me

Clinton514

F#A#Oo said:
How many people have taken the game online thus far?
Just did for the first time about an hour ago. Only because I got stuck on the last level in Veteran mode. Are people really complaining about the campaign here?

FlyinJ said:
Loving the game so far... but...

Why the hell are the voices coming over radio like five times louder than normal voices? Everytime someone spouts out some poorly-written obnoxious cliche over the radio, it comes SCREAMING out of my fucking speakers. I then turn "voice" down in the options, then I can't hear what anyone is saying when they're not on the radio.

Man that is annoying.

I believe the radio is louder because GG wants to give the impression that there's a mic in your ear. (since its a fps shooter of course)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dfyb said:
if i quit, will it continue at the last checkpoint or at the beginning of the chapter?
The last checkpoint.

Grayman

Victrix said:
Most online shooters don't actually 'fire bullets', they do a hitscan check and instantly hit a target. In the case of 'real' guns, they usually aren't completely accurate, and have recoil/random clustering for the 'bullet hits'.

Why people are wondering is because this is really strange behavior - there's two possibilities; either the various guns in kz2 use actual projectiles (very unlikely), or they have some seriously, seriously wonky prediction code at work. Or I guess there might also be bleed damage, but I haven't witnessed that.

This sort of prediction is generally masked by having it client side, but this is why eg, in CoD4 what you did and what showed up on the killcam when 'that guy I totally shot but he killed me it was bs' don't always match up.

I *think* this game is using client/server, not peer to peer, but I could be wrong. That makes this kind of behavior even more odd.
It could be fingers staying on the trigger during death or allowing dead bullets to be fired.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Clinton514 said:
Just did for the first time about an hour ago. Only because I got stuck on the last level in Veteran mode. Are people really complaining about the campaign here?

No mean't how many people are actually online with the game in question...e.g. 100k, 1m etc...

Clinton514

F#A#Oo said:
No mean't how many people are actually online with the game in question...e.g. 100k, 1m etc...
Oh, my bad. Not sure about the numbers. In Killzone and Liberation there was a online Universe counter when you logged in. I didn't see any here.

GG has always made hard games. Killzone 1 was a killer and Killzone Liberation might have been the hardest game I have ever played when you pumped up the difficulty.

I don't understand why people popped in the game, set the difficulty to Veteran and expected a cakewalk. And then they complain about it later. Wha?

Yoboman

FightyF said:
I played a little SP but seriously those controls are getting to me (I'm using Alt 2).

All they really need to do is enable toggle crouch, and I'd be more fine with it.

I'm liking the MP though. The gunplay is a bit wonky, but the teamwork more than makes up for it.

Gonna check the Online Thread, hopefully we get some GAF games tonight.
Just play with the default setup, it works much better

Clinton514

Blu_LED said:
GG has always made hard games. Killzone 1 was a killer and Killzone Liberation might have been the hardest game I have ever played when you pumped up the difficulty.

I don't understand why people popped in the game, set the difficulty to Veteran and expected a cakewalk. And then they complain about it later. Wha?
I knew what I was walking into but didn't realize it was going to be this difficult until
I stepped up to Visari Palace.
. My goodness was that hell. Now...
Radec is kicking my ass, so I had to give it a rest before I broke my controller

ruxtpin

Banned
Joined a GAF server earlier (can't remember the name,) with a fellow GAFer named syndicate. I haven't had this much fun playing MP in a long time... I feel like I'm playing something out of a film; the game just looks that good. Can't wait to finish off the SP next week after exams.

It seems you guys are talking about the delayed kills/deaths (don't feel like finding the original complaint/comment). Yeah, I notice that shit all the time and it bugs me. I gain my kill and chirp while I'm reloading. That's pathetic.

Also, I can pop a guy in the back of his head and watch blood pour out but he can turn around and get me in one shot.... fucking yeah right.

The game's MP has fantastic atmosphere but the problems really dampen my enjoyment. Fortunately, it's very awesome and I try to look on the brightside and continue playing.... for now. Fix it soon, GG.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Blu_LED said:

It was because of all the pre-launch "Vet is the real way to play" dick waving. I played through on Normal and didn't regret it. Dieing over and over again on one section until I memorise it isn't my idea of a good time (in an FPS anyway, wassup Megaman 9).

Of course, there are people who are more skilled than myself who seemed to handle Vet just fine, but unfortunately people who don't usually play FPSs on hard got caught up on the whole "play Vet" pre-launch wave, and are now regretting it. =p

Barrett2

F#A#Oo said:
How many people have taken the game online thus far?

I did briefly this morning, it seemed very full and comprehensive, to say the least. I won't go on again til I finish the campaign, probably tomorrow if I have enough time.

Yoboman said:
Just play with the default setup, it works much better

Definitely.
I find it hilarious that all the hardcore COD4 players absolutely hate the controls.
But all of us that come from a more PC background with games like CS and such
are acclimating really well.

If you want to play Killzone and enjoy it to the full you got to break the COD4 habit.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Definitely.
I find it hilarious that all the hardcore COD4 players absolutely hate the controls.
But all of us that come from a more PC background with games like CS and such
are acclimating really well.

If you want to play Killzone and enjoy it to the full you got to break the COD4 habit.
I've never played a PC FPS in my life, and I also loved COD4, but for this game I've been sticking with the default controls and it feels perfect. Better then any other shooter I have ever played.

People just complain to complain I guess. This is not COD and they want it to be because it looks better then COD.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Well, my compatriot's AI has broken, and now he won't open the fucking door he's supposed to. Fantastic.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Rez said:
It was because of all the pre-launch "Vet is the real way to play" dick waving. I played through on Normal and didn't regret it. Dieing over and over again on one section until I memorise it isn't my idea of a good time (in an FPS anyway, wassup Megaman 9).

Of course, there are people who are more skilled than myself who seemed to handle Vet just fine, but unfortunately people who don't usually play FPSs on hard got caught up on the whole "play Vet" pre-launch wave, and are now regretting it. =p
People do this shit with every single shooter. Whenever someone tells you that "vet is the only way to play," or, "you gotta play legendary baby," or "you didn't really play it unless you played it on Ridiculous," they are a douche.

Most of these games require some kind of superhuman level of patience to be completed on these types of difficulties.

I play games for fun. Start on normal and crank it up as you see fit. I played Halo 3 on normal and it was too easy. Heroic and it was too easy. Legendary and it was just right. I played CoD4 on normal and it was already too hard. Don't be caught up by e-douches. The game is considerably more enjoyable on more reasonable difficulties.

And if you feel that veteran is the only way to play these linear, scripted shooters, stop posting that you are upset the game is chewing on your balls. You wanted that.

Chiggs said:
Well, my compatriot's AI has broken, and now he won't open the fucking door he's supposed to. Fantastic.

I have heard this from a few people. One review mentioned it I believe. Looks like the SP has some scripting issues. Will be patched I'm sure.

icechai

woah awesome afternoon GAF games, i'm about to jump back in but just wanted to point out my favorite match this afternoon:

20-ish players, Pyrrus map (Desert one)

This is what KZ2 is supposed to be all about, for those in it they would probably remember it really showcased true teamwork of squads and how it affects gameplay. We lost (barely) and the most memorable last ditch effort involved my squad and 2 others running across the lower bridge, i was bringing up the rear sniping off those trying to shoot at my squadmates while they were charging up the bridge firing. We get across to their base and fan out and almost reach their VIP, alas I was a bit dumb and didn't back off enough to let my squadmates respawn on me and got surrounded. What was so close was just as this was happening, Teknoman and a few others make it over from the upper bridge, i just heard the mic talk as Teknoman realized he was the last one left alive inside a base full of red dots hehe, almost got them!

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I just need to replace the Blu-Ray laser and brave a noreaster tomorrow, and I will be over this and the Show ...

hell i bought 2 ps3s....

Grayman

Blu_LED said:

Veteran seems easier than uncharted on hard. You can die but it is not hard. Liberation though was a killer. Spent days on Cobar at medium.

Dirtbag

Blu_LED said:
I've never played a PC FPS in my life, and I also loved COD4, but for this game I've been sticking with the default controls and it feels perfect. Better then any other shooter I have ever played.

People just complain to complain I guess. This is not COD and they want it to be because it looks better then COD.

And some people don't complain because they settle.

Yoboman

Chiggs said:
Yeah I noticed a surprising few glitches throughout the game, lucky nothing game breaking

Chiggs

Gold Member
Danne-Danger said:
Tried knocking him out?

LMAO

I had to knock him all the way across a bridge and the he woke up really pissed at me, and then immediately proceeded to open the door. :lol

Hey guys! Any room left in a clan for a fellow killzoner?

My PSN ID is The_Inquisitor

Please add, I would love to get in some matches with you guys. Am going to go buy a headset tomorrow, is the official one good?

DrBo42

I don't understand how the enemy AI can be so awesome (flanking, excellent troop movement and reaction) and my AI team can be so awful. What the hell is going on? :lol I have guys running into the open constantly and dying. So frustrating on Veteran to watch these fools.

DrBo42 said:
I don't understand how the enemy AI can be so awesome (flanking, excellent troop movement and reaction) and my AI team can be so awful. What the hell is going on? :lol I have guys running into the open constantly and dying. So frustrating on Veteran to watch these fools.

:lol They definitely get jacked up a lot. The hard thing is they draw so much fire from
the enemy that you cant leave them most of the time cause the higs are all focusing
so much firepower on you it makes it almost impossible to advance.

Chiggs said:
LMAO

I had to knock him all the way across a bridge and the he woke up really pissed at me, and then immediately proceeded to open the door. :lol
:lol

Nothing says "do your fucking job!" like a/several rifle butt(s) to the face.

I had this one part where Rico got stuck on the wrong side of the rail on the train level, I had to knock him off so he'd respawn.

Grayman said:
Veteran seems easier than uncharted on hard. You can die but it is not hard. Liberation though was a killer. Spent days on Cobar at medium.
Cobar was hard, but the whole 5th downloadable chapter was so hard I considered killing myself on the spot. I spent hours trying to beat it, on fucking medium.

Such a great game though.

Top Bottom