• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Victrix

*beard*
BruceLeeRoy said:
Definitely.
I find it hilarious that all the hardcore COD4 players absolutely hate the controls.
But all of us that come from a more PC background with games like CS and such
are acclimating really well.

If you want to play Killzone and enjoy it to the full you got to break the COD4 habit.

Um, no. I can bounce between TF2 or UT3 on the PC and CoD4 on the 360 comfortably. R1/R2 is comfortable. KZ2 has some serious issues with the controls :p The aiming is just bad.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DrBo42 said:
I don't understand how the enemy AI can be so awesome (flanking, excellent troop movement and reaction) and my AI team can be so awful. What the hell is going on? :lol I have guys running into the open constantly and dying. So frustrating on Veteran to watch these fools.
It would be a really hard balance for any developer. If they made the AI actually competent, they risk making the game too easy, and making the player feel like the game is playing itself.

I'm not defending the shitty AI, but I can respect how difficult it must be to design.

DrBo42

BruceLeeRoy said:
:lol They definitely get jacked up a lot. The hard thing is they draw so much fire from
the enemy that you cant leave them most of the time cause the higs are all focusing
so much firepower on you it makes it almost impossible to advance.
I have trouble just getting to them when they go down. It's like it's some evil Hig scheme to take them out, make them call for help, and then rape me when I try to get them to their feet. :lol It's truly amazing watching the Higs do their thing, but then I turn around and shake my head in shame at my own team.

Rez said:
It would be a really hard balance for any developer. If they made the AI actually competent, they risk making the game too easy, and making the player feel like the game is playing itself.

I'm not defending the shitty AI, but I can respect how difficult it must be to design.
I can understand what you're saying, it is indeed a tough balance. But these guys are beyond terrible. I'd be fine with it if they just died, making me go out and help them constantly is quite miserable.

Victrix said:
Um, no. I can bounce between TF2 or UT3 on the PC and CoD4 on the 360 comfortably. R1/R2 is comfortable. KZ2 has some serious issues with the controls :p The aiming is just bad.

I could be totally wrong but it seems you favor more arcadey set ups for your controls.

Ever play CS?

Melfice7

Just finished it 11 hours on veteran

Now for the online
v48lqa.jpg

pj

Banned
The multiplayer is really fun, and looks like it has enough to keep me playing for a long time. The game really falls apart in close quarters, though. The narrow field of vision + the bad aiming + all the effects that obscure your vision = wtf is going on

DrBo42 said:
I have trouble just getting to them when they go down. It's like it's some evil Hig scheme to take them out, make them call for help, and then rape me when I try to get them to their feet. :lol It's truly amazing watching the Higs do their thing, but then I turn around and shake my head in shame at my own team.

The ai is truly remarkable I have already stated this but those bastards play like people.
Get you all used to fighting cover to cover then throwing a couple grenades for you to duck
then sending some shotty guys to blitzkrieg your ass.

Victrix said:

All of those games have the same weightless "floating arms with guns" controls also.

Victrix

*beard*
BruceLeeRoy said:
I could be totally wrong but it seems you favor more arcadey set ups for your controls.

Ever play CS?

*rolleyes*

Yes, and one time they even let me into the big kids room to play arma and graw!

BobM

Chiggs said:
Well, my compatriot's AI has broken, and now he won't open the fucking door he's supposed to. Fantastic.

??? wow. So you stop playing to come complain to all of us. :lol

Just restart that section checkpoints are very generous imo.

Just played my first online game, unbelievable. It just makes any other online shooter redundant. From here on in, its KZ2 and nothing else until KZ3. I doubt i will even get CODMW2 now, maybe when it hits platinum. I love it, some guy was camped on an overpass type thing, and i just nailed him with the ISA assault rifle from a good 100 metres away. BOOM HEADSHOT. It really is my favourite gun in any game yet.

Shearie

*rolleyes*

Yes, and one time they even let me into the big kids room to play arma and graw!

:lol

I actually agree with both sides in this matter. The aiming is indeed harder for me in this game than most other FPS's, but I actually like the way they feel because of the weightiness and all that. The game's single and multi player are tuned to these controls so I wouldn't want them any other way.

TTP said:
Getting some "difficult" ribbons like air/ground turrets kills. Impossible to get those if you don't arrange a proper meeting with people willing to let themselves be killed. The requirements are almost absurd.
I've tried many times to get the ribbon for the ground turrets and I've only been successful once. Next time you guys do a server like this I definitely want to be in.

Nafai1123

Banned
DrBo42 said:
I don't understand how the enemy AI can be so awesome (flanking, excellent troop movement and reaction) and my AI team can be so awful. What the hell is going on? :lol I have guys running into the open constantly and dying. So frustrating on Veteran to watch these fools.

I'm curious if GG almost intended for it to be this way. Maybe they were in a meeting, talking about various difficulty levels and someone was like...

"Hey, maybe we should dumb down the team AI on veteran and increase the enemy AI to make it really fuckin hard."

and then everyone else was like..

"That...is...BRILLIANT!"

And then proceeded to fuck up the enemy/team AI balance, make you babysit your team, and generally nerfed them to the point of being a hindrance. I'm curious if playing on elite degrades them to the point of mentally challenged chimpanzees on ecstasy.

I just want to say for the most badassery in the custom soundtracks play the "All Along the Watchtower" cover from saeson three of the Battlestar Galactica soundtrack on Visari's Hammer. So fuking epic.

postaboy

icechai said:
woah awesome afternoon GAF games, i'm about to jump back in but just wanted to point out my favorite match this afternoon:

20-ish players, Pyrrus map (Desert one)

This is what KZ2 is supposed to be all about, for those in it they would probably remember it really showcased true teamwork of squads and how it affects gameplay. We lost (barely) and the most memorable last ditch effort involved my squad and 2 others running across the lower bridge, i was bringing up the rear sniping off those trying to shoot at my squadmates while they were charging up the bridge firing. We get across to their base and fan out and almost reach their VIP, alas I was a bit dumb and didn't back off enough to let my squadmates respawn on me and got surrounded. What was so close was just as this was happening, Teknoman and a few others make it over from the upper bridge, i just heard the mic talk as Teknoman realized he was the last one left alive inside a base full of red dots hehe, almost got them!

what the hetch? KZII has no respawn mode.

Dirtbag

BruceLeeRoy said:

Ever play CS?

This is nothing like CS (outside of recoil).
Aiming here is akin to playing CS with a mouse pad smeared with vasoline.

Dubbedinenglish said:
I just want to say for the most badassery in the custom soundtracks play the "All Along the Watchtower" cover from saeson three of the Battlestar Galactica soundtrack on Visari's Hammer. So fuking epic.
I just listen to old episodes of Retronauts when I play. Really gets the blood pumping. :p

Barrett2

DrBo42 said:

Garza was yelling about needing backup, I finally went to his position and he was just standing there while a big spider periodically jumped and bit him. Your squad AI is terrible sometimes. :lol

-Winnie-

Well, I just finished.

Overall, I'm pleased. The story finally did get somewhere.
My floor hit the ground when Rico killed Visari. My god... And then the solemn silence afterwards really put an impact into what just happened. Shit just got serious.
However I'm sad since there might not be anymore epic speeches. :<
Oh, and Radec bossfight was fucking badass. Teleporting around with fucking lightning and shit, man. It was fun. :]

-Winnie- said:
Well, I just finished.

My floor hit the ground when Rico killed Visari. My god... And then the solemn silence afterwards really put an impact into what just happened. Shit just got serious.
Oh, and Radec bossfight was fucking badass. Teleporting around with fucking lightning and shit, man. It was fun. :]

Nothing expressed how impossible and hopeless the situation had become than Sev just sitting on the stairs. Worked perfectly. Really loved the ending, also Visari was a really well done character and makes a lot of sense.

Aw man, the multiplayer is about as much fun currently as pounding nails through my dick. It seems like it could be really great, but I'm pretty sure everybody playing has never played an FPS before. I expect to not be the only one on a 16 man team with one or more kills 3 minutes into a match.

Finished the single player in just under 8 1/2 hours. I think the moments of me gawking at the visuals accumulated would have added about an hour, so maybe 7 1/2 is more accurate. Pretty impressed, but I don't know when I'll go back again.

I'm spending a great deal of my time in the MP now. It's a little tough to get my head around, after spending so much time playing CoD 4 and 5. No more sporadic running and gunning.

I really like it, but I feel like I'm missing something integral to the experience. I think I gotta slow down even more and completely break myself away from those niggling habits that have piled up after playing other shooters.

What sensitivity do you folks play on in the MP, out of curiosity?

Does anyone know anything about the CG opening scene?

Was the whole thing CG? Did GG make it themselves? I ask because the CG intro in Killzone and Liberation were also both excellent and this one blew me away again.

Ephemeris

Had some awesome games with a fellow gaffer [Nozdeuce].

kinda burnt out though. I think there's such a thing as too much killzone 2 :(

I have to chime in and say that this game is amazing !

This is only my 2nd console FPS ever after R:FoM and I have no problem with controls/aiming (on default), with sensitivity turned up 1 notch.

Major props to GG !

-Winnie- said:
Well, I just finished.

Why did I click on this.... I can't tell you. Damn it.

-Clover

I'm used to the controls now,you have to mess around with the control sensitivity. But the floating does need to be toned down a shit ton. But then that means people will have to readjust the axis. Tone it down a shit ton.

Mik2121

Do we already know what is exactly needed to get the Boost ribbon? I used it +10 times in a match and didn't get any ribbon :'(

DMeisterJ

Banned
Anyone else think they should use a lot less flash on the official KZ2 site so it doesn't load at a glacial pace? My goodness.

Anyhoo, unlocked my Engineer badge. I avoided it like the plague in the BETA, but I'm going to stick with it to unlock the repair and hack ability. That will be very useful to me, so I'm going to learn it.

Rikyfree

Beat the campaign and unlocked the assault badge online (almost never gonna use it). Now it's time for the arduous task of doing the campaign on elite.

TTP said:
And don't get me started about the free respawn thing. Damn, an hardcore mode with no respawns would be PERFECT for Killzone 2. The *real* new gen SOCOM.

I agree, I suggested this in the Beta forums more than once, at least give us a "No Respawn" Option when creating a game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Rikyfree said:
Beat the campaign and unlocked the assault badge online (almost never gonna use it). Now it's time for the arduous task of doing the campaign on elite.
Why bother?

kaskade

One thing I like is how collecting items in the game unlocks stuff on the killzone site. I actually want to go back and find all of the collectibles now.

Ephemeris

AranhaHunter said:
I agree, I suggested this in the Beta forums more than once, at least give us a "No Respawn" Option when creating a game.

I'd like that option. Nothing wrong with variety.

-Winnie-

MvmntInGrn said:
Nothing expressed how impossible and hopeless the situation had become than Sev just sitting on the stairs. Worked perfectly. Really loved the ending, also Visari was a really well done character and makes a lot of sense.

Now comes the task of coming up with a character to be equal to or even better than Visari. We never learned whether Visari had any children, right? Dun, dun, dun...

KZObsessed

That GAF game just then was amazing. I never thought so many players on Radec Academy of all places would be so fun.

171 points and 87 kills.

And it got me to General and I have unlocked ma Scout! :D In under 14 hours if anyone was wondering. Can be done a lot quicker tho if you really want to.

But I'm gonna try and "master" all the other classes before I get into ma scouting. They changed my sacred Sniper Rifle and now the scout is never fully invisible... Guerrilla could very well face the full brunt of my wrath, but I'll give it a chance.

McLovin

Just saw Wollan in a game few hours ago. Guy doesn't say much :lol
Killzone is so crazy.. you could have a fairly tame game one minute. The next your in some crazy "WTF is going on" rooms. I never seen so many explosions in one game :lol

The silent lols I gleaned from the SFIV thread when people were complaining about how hard challenge mode was are now biting me in the ass with Killzone 2. I find this game pretty damn challenging. It's harder than GoW2 AND your partners don't revive you.

I also have many WTF is going on moments coming up stairs or something and just getting shot from somewhere I can't figure out. Bleh, this is why I suck at FPSes.

DrBo42

lawblob said:
Garza was yelling about needing backup, I finally went to his position and he was just standing there while a big spider periodically jumped and bit him. Your squad AI is terrible sometimes. :lol
That reminds me of a very similar experience. I was in a tunnel area with spiders and all of a sudden I hear my teammate fucking UNLOADING his saw. I immediately turn around thinking we've been ambushed by higs, then I see the remains of 1 spider and at least 50 shell casings.

McLovin said:
Just saw Wollan in a game few hours ago. Guy doesn't say much :lol
Killzone is so crazy.. you could have a fairly tame game one minute. The next your in some crazy "WTF is going on" rooms. I never seen so many explosions in one game :lol

Visari's Hammer is like that :lol I'll be lost than one moment I'll turn the corner and and SHIT!! Elbow, helmets and asses all amidst explosions.

Top Bottom