• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Dirtbag

Rapping Granny said:
Man the tactician could be a really cheap class. All you have to do is put up spawn near the other team's base and your team will win. works great at the Saluman Market.
Once deployed, those grenades last WAY too long. Other then that, the tactician is no more cheap then spawning on squad and I think they really open up the battlefield and make those gametypes much more interesting.

The classes that I feel are the most overpowered are the Assault guy and the Saboteur.

Assault guy, lets give him 2x health and a rocket launcher, and then lets make him the fastest guy on the battlefield... makes sense right?! (Seriously WTF)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Rapping Granny said:
Man the tactician could be a really cheap class. All you have to do is put up spawn near the other team's base and your team will win. works great at the Saluman Market.

Yeah I'm hoping there's some sort of fix or balance out to them. I like the idea of controlling spawns overall, but something should be done to negate them. Engineers doing something, or just shooting them, I dunno. Something. Shit gets too hectic and less tactical when a spawn is dropped right on the defending point and stuff, and that's just in like 16 player max games, where I tend to stick.

Big-E

Dirtbag said:
Assault guy, lets give him 2x health and a rocket launcher, and then lets make him the fastest guy on the battlefield... makes sense right?! (Seriously WTF)

THIS! I can't fucking stand those assholes. You manage to actually get the speedy fucker in your sights and hit him but it doesn't matter because he will run away before you can drop his health down or he will kill you. Fuck this class.

Dirtbag

SnakeXs said:
Yeah I'm hoping there's some sort of fix or balance out to them. I like the idea of controlling spawns overall, but something should be done to negate them. Engineers doing something, or just shooting them, I dunno. Something. Shit gets too hectic and less tactical when a spawn is dropped right on the defending point and stuff, and that's just in like 16 player max games, where I tend to stick.

Limit the timer on them, or the number of players that can use it. Like after 10 people have gone through it, its done?

Y2Kev said:
Isn't it strange everyone calls Templar "Jan" like the girl's name? Isn't it said "yan"?

Funny you mention that, because in the first game the only time his first name was spoken was by the female character you could play as. She always pronounced it "yan"

Zeliard

Dirtbag said:
Limit the timer on them, or the number of players that can use it. Like after 10 people have gone through it, its done?

They should just make the spawn points destroyable, like the teleporters in TF2.

Stillmatic

Rapping Granny said:

The other team just needs a tactician and they should be able to break out of that.

Earlier today i joined a game mid-game, and the other team had camped around our spawn area and we were getting hammered (32 player match), after a few attempts i just bolted out the front and ran for cover planting my own spawn point, and a few minutes later the game was open again.

SnakeXs

Dirtbag said:

Something, anything. I'm really not picky.

SnakeXs

Blu_LED said:
Wait you got to General already? In 2 days?

I got 1 rank to go, and I don't think I'll be sleeping until I get it. :lol

That said, I finally got the repair badge, and I'm (hopefully) close to getting boost, and just got Colonel, so I won't have a lack of new things to do.

.GqueB.

Banned
On my first play with some of the "higher ups" (Ive always stayed within my rank but wanted to play with the Gaf group) Im already noticing some weird balancing issues.

• Spawn points need to either be destroyable or extremely temporary as in timed or only 5 or so people can spawn there before it goes away. Having them just sit there just makes things ridiculously annoying if its put in the wrong place. And its not like theres any real way to combat it.

This is especially annoying during search and destroy type scenarios as we all just noticed.

• What is this assault crap? I understand giving the guy a few pluses but giving him a rocket launcher AND more health AND making him faster is waaaaaay too much. This could be fixed by just making him move slower rather than faster. As is, especially with the way the game controls, he's near unstoppable.

• They should be FORCING mofos to join squads gawtdamnit.

Last one was just me venting a bit.

.GqueB. said:
On my first play with some of the "higher ups" (Ive always stayed within my rank but wanted to play with the Gaf group) Im already noticing some weird balancing issues.

• Spawn points need to either be destroyable or extremely temporary as in timed or only 5 or so people can spawn there before it goes away. Having them just sit there just makes things ridiculously annoying if its put in the wrong place. And its not like theres any real way to combat it.

This is especially annoying during search and destroy type scenarios as we all just noticed.

• What is this assault crap? I understand giving the guy a few pluses but giving him a rocket launcher AND more health AND making him faster is waaaaaay too much. This could be fixed by just making him move slower rather than faster. As is, especially with the way the game controls, he's near unstoppable.

I don't really understand how the squad system works. Can someone explain it.

Dirtbag

.GqueB. said:

Well it's in your own interest to form them, as it gives you an additional spawn point (spawn on the leader). Give people a few more days to start to figure it out, and I bet everyone will be squaded up.

Nafai1123

Banned
I hope they patch it in so that you don't lose ALL of your points if you quit/disconnect out of a match. Maybe give you a negative multiplier or something, but earning nothing is super lame if you have to leave in a hurry or you get disconnected.

mr_nothin

Banned
.GqueB. said:

I dont get the spawn point complaints. Of course there will be games where problem occur. Spawn points can be countered with spawn points. BUT, I will say that they shouldnt have added the invulnerability thing with the spawn points...or at least make the amount of time you stay invulnerable...shorter.

Assault class should have the weakest gun or the most inaccurate gun. Not rockets. The grenade launcher suits this class perfectly...they should have kept it with just that. They should make it where if the assault class has the rocket launcher equipped then he moves slower...no matter what...boost pill or not.

Aladuf

Banned
Blu_LED said:
I don't really understand how the squad system works. Can someone explain it.
You just start up a squad before the game starts and get about four people in there and during the whole match you and your squad can communicate at all times. It just breaks up a larger team into smaller units. When people aren't in squads, they can't talk to any group of people at all times and are basically running around by themselves.

edit:
mr_nothin said:
You kicked my ass tonight, man. :lol

Zeliard

mr_nothin said:
Assault class should have the weakest gun or the most inaccurate gun. Not rockets. The grenade launcher suits this class perfectly...they should have kept it with just that. They should make it where if the assault class has the rocket launcher equipped then he moves slower...no matter what...boost pill or not.

That would be a good compromise. It is pretty strange that they would make a guy with double armor and a rocket launcher run faster than everyone else.

Aladuf said:
You just start up a squad before the game starts and get about four people in there and during the whole match you and your squad can communicate at all times. It just breaks up a larger team into smaller units. When people aren't in squads, they can't talk to any group of people at all times and are basically running around by themselves.
Oh okay I see. Thanks.

I don't know how I feel about this game being an open-lobby system. Those kind of systems(where you can join games that have already started) annoy me because you never know if you going to get into a game, get on the losing team and then have it end in like 1 minute. Plus people could just set up locked games by themselves with another player and stat pad.

I wish they would have done something like R2 where custom games are unranked, and ranked games are matchmaking.

Can anyone help me with my weird, online OCD.

MCermak

It's almost 2 am. But I cannot put this murder-simulator down.

I have played enough that I think I know what i'm doing. Someone wanna send me a clan invite? Shatonyourface is my username.

How do i find the gaf game?

mr_nothin

Banned
Aladuf said:

edit:

You kicked my ass tonight, man. :lol
XD

I had a few off games and it was laggy sometimes. But overall I did alright. Mr Full Recovery was like my mirror'd self. He kept getting the same kills/deaths/score and everything.

I can ALWAYS tell when a person is a saboteur...as full recov can probably tell you lol.
I'd see him and instantly recognize him as a saboteur. They look subtly different than the original model. They look like the bootleg version, like they're darker or something.

When FFObsessed came in...he mowed down everybody. That's only because he had the freaking SMG which is really accurate and has a super fast firing rate.

pj

Banned
Couple of MP questions:

1. How do I join a squad when I'm invited into one?
2. How are the unlocks balanced? I just got the ability to spawn with more grenades, doesn't seem completely fair
3. Why is no one a medic?

Dirtbag

Blu_LED said:
Oh okay I see. Thanks.

I don't know how I feel about this game being an open-lobby system. Those kind of systems annoy me because you never know if you going to get into a game, get on the losing team and then have it end in like 1 minute. Plus people could just set up locked games by themselves with another player and stat pad.

I wish they would have done something like R2 where custom games are unranked, and ranked games are matchmaking.

"Bubububu this game doesn't need a party system....." /Private Hoffman

"Whatever you dirtbag... you hater" /bugnology (freedom go to hell)

I called it from day one, its fucking irritating. It's cumbersome to setup teams. No fast team switching. Can't tell what team is stacked from the choose class screen.... I just want to play with my friends when i get online not against them. It's not a hard concept.

jax (old)

Banned
KILLZONE KOMPLETED! (veteran) - got a trophy survivor at the end of it too (silver).

I was literally at the end game when I last posted except I couldn't survive that last fight which was tough as nails. But once I got past it, the end game opened up and it was all very sastifying. (SPECIAL THANKS FFobessed for his tip - it worked!) I killed the last boss in about 2-3 minutes :D And got a trophy for killing the boss under 20 minutes. ha!

The ending gave me goosebumps at its overall tone - someone somewhere else said it has a very empire strikes back feel and yes, it did. Very satisfying game all up from start to finish and yes, Guerilla games pulled it off. KZ2 met the hype and then some. Its simply astounding what's in here.

There was a stage in there where if you got the...
LIGHTING GUN
It made clearing the stage very very easy and highly enjoyable. Almost a god weapon. I hung on to it and cleared that level in good speed.

Statistics of note:
Number of knife kills = 172 (the next highest was like 43 ish). :D
Final play time on veteran was around 11.5 hours.

My review score would be a 9/10 for the SP campaign. It is simply the most viseral, most visually arresting FPS title bar non - its not as high fidelity as pc shooters but what is there, is simply astounding and because of the style/filters, its also the most gritty looking title to date. And the best looking next gen title. Combo that with the stellar/epic audio work, its a real winner imo. I'll be holding onto this title.

The highlights were:

THE BRIDGE ASSAULT
DESERT + SNIPERS
EXOSKELETON
VISARI SQUARE - this was hard as hell and amazingly dense and hellish. VERY VERY HELLISH.
ISA SHIP ASSAULT
TRAIN
NUCLEAR BOMB

and that... in a lot of ways, that is a lot of the game. Every stage listed above had an OMG quality to the level design/visuals and hectic/frenetic gameplay. There were so many times, you just had to stop and go "wow" at the visuals. The Killzone 2 engine and the way the game plays out really makes for the experience. Its highly cinematic, plays like a futurisitic SAVINGPRIVATERYAN and again, can't emphaise how much the visuals add to this. It lifts killzone2 from the me-too fps titles into another echelon altogether. I haven't gone "HOLYCOW' in many other games or genres altogether. This was a class act from start to finish. I am very happy I bought and played this. Haven't had this much enjoyment out of a game in a long time.

I had no issues with the gunplay/aiming at all. I could use the sniper+standard guns quite accurately. I love the knife/sniper/overpowered desert LSMG (?).

QUIBBLES.

needed 1-2 more boss fights. This was a real missed oppourtunity but the standard enemy encounters in themselves were uber challenging and satisfying as hell to beat. Friendly AI is dumb as hell. Rico at the end was so freaking annoying... he might kill some enemies (which is nice) but he was more of a bullet sponge than anything. I actually wanted a bit more game when it ended. Also, I was hoping to see a female helghast. icon_razz.gif

Bring on KZ3 and once my broadband gets uncapped, I'll pop in for some online play. Taking a break now but I might play it on trooper next to get some intel/helghast icon collection.

mr_nothin

Banned
pj325is said:
Couple of MP questions:

1. How do I join a squad when I'm invited into one?
2. How are the unlocks balanced? I just got the ability to spawn with more grenades, doesn't seem completely fair
3. Why is no one a medic?
1. Hit select and accept
2. Unlocks are as balanced as they can be. With the exception of the assault class.
3. Nobody's a medic because they're unlocking the other classes and trying them out.

.GqueB.

Banned
mr_nothin said:
I dont get the spawn point complaints. Of course there will be games where problem occur. Spawn points can be countered with spawn points. BUT, I will say that they shouldnt have added the invulnerability thing with the spawn points...or at least make the amount of time you stay invulnerable...shorter.

I guess my complaint can be summed by saying that the spawn point system can make the game rather "clusterfuckish".

Its slightly contradictory to me. They say they did all of these things to make it more about "tactics" and "strategy" but then you have spawn point put in shitty spots and it becomes a situation where you just spawn and have to instantly fend for your life by shooting at whatever moves. Like I said, there are ways around it. Just limit them somehow. Like they NEED to limit the assault class.

Dirtbag said:
Well it's in your own interest to form them, as it gives you an additional spawn point (spawn on the leader). Give people a few more days to start to figure it out, and I bet everyone will be squaded up.
lol Im not forming anything. I die way too much. There would be no leader to spawn on. :lol

Dirtbag said:
"Bubububu this game doesn't need a party system....." /Private Hoffman

"Whatever you dirtbag... you hater" /bugnology (freedom go to hell)

I called it from day one, its fucking irritating. It's cumbersome to setup teams. No fast team switching. Can't tell what team is stacked from the choose class screen.... I just want to play with my friends when i get online not against them. It's not a hard concept.
Yeah a party system is needed, and I'm sure it easily could be patched in.

Aladuf

Banned
mr_nothin said:
When FFObsessed came in...he mowed down everybody. That's only because he had the freaking SMG which is really accurate and has a super fast firing rate.
Oh boy, yeah, he had his way with our team. There were so many times when he'd blend right into our pack and wait for the perfect time when we were positioned and just take us down. I spotted him a couple of times when he was running with us but that's only because my crosshairs would switch to red real fast while running with the group and I realized what was going on.

Dirtbag

.GqueB. said:
I guess my complaint can be summed by saying that the spawn point system can make the game rather "clusterfuckish".

Its slightly contradictory to me. They say they did all of these things to make it more about "tactics" and "strategy" but then you have spawn point put in shitty spots and it becomes a situation where you just spawn and have to instantly fend for your life by shooting at whatever moves. Like I said, there are ways around it. Just limit them somehow. Like they NEED to limit the assault class.

You can always select to spawn back at base and not use this spawn point. Or join a squad and spawn somewhere else on your squad leader!
Your ineptitude shouldn't damn the whole system.

I agree it could be tweaked, but what you are describing is your own damn fault.

Zeliard

Dirtbag said:
You can always select to spawn back at base and not use this spawn point. Or join a squad and spawn somewhere else on your squad leader!

I agree it could be tweaked, but what you are describing is your own damn fault.

Yeah, you can pretty much always tell what you're spawning into due to the map.

pj

Banned
Dirtbag said:

In one game I played, the base spawn was being camped by assholes with rocket launchers. It was almost impossible to get to the other exit without being in their line of sight long enough to get shot a few times, and most of the time there were assholes at the other exit too.

They also let the clock run out on objectives so they could get more points by just killing us

mr_nothin

Banned
.GqueB. said:

It all really just depends on the person putting down the spawn points. They need to know what they're doing (hence the name tactician) and not just throw down a spawn point where THEY want to spawn. The point of the tactician is to turn the tides of the match. That's why I hate when there's 1 other REALLY noobish tactician on the team because he completely screws me up and then his placement would be retarded.

When there are good tacticians on both teams...who know where to throw down a spawn point..then it creates a game that is ALOT more tactical. It's all about placement, when you put it down, which spots to use on a certain "mode", and most importantly HOW you throw it down. You're suppose to throw it in the opposite direction that you want people to face when they spawn. If you want your teammates to face a fence when they spawn then turn your back to the fence and throw it down. THEY SPAWN FACING IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION THAT YOU THROW IT IN.

Aladuf

Banned
Dirtbag said:

Yep, I figured out what they were probably trying to go for with spawns while playing tonight. You can choose to spawn at a spawn point placed by a teammate but you risk spawning right into heavy fire and getting killed right away. Or you can choose to spawn back and the normal spawn point where it's most likely safe, but you'll have to make the walk back to where the action is. Both have perks, one almost guarantees you'll live longer than 2 seconds after spawning, and the other shortens the walk back to the action but you risk that spawn death.

I always risk dying right away and spawn back into the action. :lol

.GqueB.

Banned
Dirtbag said:

Jesus relax.

For one, my squad leader was always near the clusterfuck so either way Im spawning into it. And if I spawn back at the base its nothing more than a temporary fix because Im gonna be running toward the clusterfuck anyway. The main problem isnt the fact that Im spawning in the clusterfuck. Its that there IS one in the first place. Makes it rather difficult to be tactical when everyone is just spamming nades in a room and firing at whoever moves.

Im not saying it wasnt fun. It was funny being around so much chaos. I just saw as a bit of an issue and kind of against what they are trying to accomplish is all.

mr_nothin

Banned
pj325is said:
In one game I played, the base spawn was being camped by assholes with rocket launchers. It was almost impossible to get to the other exit without being in their line of sight long enough to get shot a few times, and most of the time there were assholes at the other exit too.

They also let the clock run out on objectives so they could get more points by just killing us
If your team had a tactician..then he could have ran out and thrown down a spawn point. That's only IF your team had one. If he was apart of a squad then 1 of the squad leaders could have made it out and he could have spawn on him and then threw down a spawn point.

I know some situations cant be helped because of 'tard teammates but for the most part ...things can be changed.

Stillmatic

Zeliard said:
Yeah, you can pretty much always tell what you're spawning into due to the map.

Also there's the spawn camera while choosing where to spawn, so you can see what's going on before you actually choose to spawn there. Sometimes they're unavailable though...

Top Bottom