• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Just played my first couple games with Gaffers and it was definitely the best time I've had yet.

Add me to your PSN list if you still have room: iantempleu

rexor0717

Xater said:
So no one likes my remote detonation idea? :(

And what? The servers are down again? All that downtime makes the interview on the Playstation Nation Podcast so hilarious. I remeber how the guy from Sony promised that they would have no problem handling the traffic at the beginning. Well I guess we are still waiting for that multiplayer game where everything runs smooth from the start. :lol
I how many people Sony expected to have online.

Ilparazzo

Xater said:
So no one likes my remote detonation idea? :(

And what? The servers are down again? All that downtime makes the interview on the Playstation Nation Podcast so hilarious. I remeber how the guy from Sony promised that they would have no problem handling the traffic at the beginning. Well I guess we are still waiting for that multiplayer game where everything runs smooth from the start. :lol
Just remember where you put them and shoot them with the pistol, that's what I did anyhow, but its a good idea

Xater

Ilparazzo said:
Just remember where you put them and shoot them with the pistol, that's what I did anyhow, but its a good idea

But that takes time especially when the objective changes. They could just put it on "Up" on the d-pad and it would work just fine.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I hate the huge maps, it's so pointless and takes so long to do anything. Especially without the scout/assault classes. Fuck this earning class stuff.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Killzone 2 is reminding me a lot about the first one in some ways. That annoying ability the helghast have of hitting you from a mile away, being able to take withstand just a bit too much damage and how they sometimes just manage to run up around you, while your dillhole of an ally is looking at birds or something.

SPOILERS:
The train level. I had to replay one area sooo many times (the area where you gotta blow up a tank). Now, I guess it's easy to blame me being bad at the game or something, but to me the whole gameplay there -- helghast pretty much swarming around you, just running up and spraying from different directions -- while Rico essentially did nothing to help.

But contrary to my first impressions, the multiplayer is quite entertaining. I'm really starting to like it, especially after I got the medic badge which addedm some more options to the gameplay.

Mobius 1

To everyone that was in the GAF TIME TO DIE! room last night: Thanks for the most intense multiplayer match I ever had. Fantastic times :D

pelicansurf said:
I hate the huge maps, it's so pointless and takes so long to do anything. Especially without the scout/assault classes. Fuck this earning class stuff.

Did you read my thing on sprinting?

There is an easy way to keep your sprint meter full and sprint around the map without having to pause to recharge it.

Just hit the jump button before your meter runs out. Then right after you hit jump hit the sprint button. Your meter will fill up while in the air and when you land you will have a full meter and continue sprinting.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Leatherface said:
Anyone have this? If so how does it work well with Killzone 2? I'm considering picking this up before I get my frag on. :rock:

41fSJRLGtYL._SS500_.jpg
I really can't see Killzone 2 working better with a mouse, I really can't. If you ask me, it'll be even worse than playing with the analog.

I'll even go as far as saying the game is truly designed around the PS3 controller unlike other FPS that work better on PC, so playing it with a mouse will only make everything much worse if you're bad at the controls.

No_Style

klownboots said:
Did you read my thing on sprinting?

There is an easy way to keep your sprint meter full and sprint around the map without having to pause to recharge it.

Just hit the jump button before your meter runs out. Then right after you hit jump hit the sprint button. Your meter will fill up while in the air and when you land you will have a full meter and continue sprinting.

Wow. This a valid tactic or something that GG will fix later?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
K Tacticians get the flying sentry thing, right? But how does one get the rocket launching sentry bot?

No_Style said:

It is not a hack or anything. Your sprint meter refills anytime your feet leave the ground, so if you run off a ledge (a short one, not one that would damage you) it is refilled.

I have no idea if it is suppose to be like this, so I don't know if GG will fix this.

Zen

Banned
Seems like, just going off of talk here, Guerilla has a lot of small fixes that they should look at making. They might want to look at MGO for some guidance on how to handle C4, for instance. Especially since Warzone has altering situations, giving it the option to remote detonate is sort of a must.

SnakeXs

No_Style said:

No, it recharges quick, period. Jumping is just a good timer for it filling up from empty. That said it slows you down so just... quit running for a second or two and yay, no lost speed and filled up sprint.

Tom Penny

It would have been nice if the train section was outside showing the sky and stuff. Pretty lame to basically make it "building" that is moving by keeping it indoors.

SnakeXs said:
No, it recharges quick, period. Jumping is just a good timer for it filling up from empty. That said it slows you down so just... quit running for a second or two and yay, no lost speed and filled up sprint.

standing still for a second is far worse then jumping in the air :p especially when you need to catch up to your squad or out run someone.

The lose in speed from jumping is less then the loss from standing still. That is if you make sure to hit sprint again after jumping, that way when you hit the ground you are sprinting. What I mean by this is you are actually sprinting, not just gaining momentum like you do when you first start sprinting. It is faster then just pausing.

Xater

Zen said:
Seems like, just going off of talk here, Guerilla has a lot of small fixes that they should look at making. They might want to look at MGO for some guidance on how to handle C4, for instance. Especially since Warzone has altering situations, giving it the option to remote detonate is sort of a must.

Someone who thinks like me yay! :D

I'd also like to see it for turrets though.

SSM25 said:
I shoot from the hip all the time, I use the sight when shooting from far away.

Get comfortable using your crosshairs to float over the guy and then simultaneously zooming in with your scope to shoot. It allows you to be really accurate and try to get in the habit of
having your crosshair be at head level. If someone kills you really quickly even though your loading them up I guarantee its a headshot.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Man, this is a damn fun game. I'm still a noob, low rank online and coming up to the last boss, so I know there are frustrations to come, but I really like it. I hope they continue to work on it, tweak up some things and give us more content. They really made good on the glimpses they gave with their earlier titles.

It's easy to bitch about a lot of the small things, but on the whole it's a roller coaster ride of intense pleasure online and off. Bravo. I find it so intense compared to games I've been playing I need to take breaks haha.

SSM25

XxBigP123xX said:
Getting 5 kills with the flying sentry bots is bullshit. The assault badge also doesn't work.

I just got this earlier, and yeah, those things fall very quick and don't kill anyone.

KZObsessed

tiddles said:
did you check the area where you start?

Tiddles, I can't get the boost ribbon. I've boosted exactly 10 times in one round, and I've boosted more than 10 times in one round and I didn't get it either times. Other people can't get it either and some get it no problem. I think it's buggy. It's very annoying as well seeing as I want to swap boost with other classes. >_<

SSM25

I also have a very serious problem with campers, they assault your initial spawning camp and we can't even get out. I set a pair of spawn points and they raided those immediately.

This fucking sucks.

John_B

Sniping is awesome, but a bit difficult as people are swaying around like plastered hobos.

I find a good spot, cloak, pop someone's head off, hide until I get the cloak back. On the larger maps I fear more for other snipers than anything. I just finished a game where I was the only helghast sniper versus 3 isa snipers. They pretty much had me for lunch.

John_B said:
Sniping is awesome, but a bit difficult as people are swaying around like plastered hobos.

I find a good spot, cloak, pop someone's head off, hide until I get the cloak back. On the larger maps I fear more for other snipers than anything. I just finished a game where I was the only helghast sniper versus 3 isa snipers. They pretty much had me for lunch.
How does the cloak work? Is it timed or do you lose it when you shoot/get shot at like with disguises?

SSM25 said:
I also have a very serious problem with campers, they assault your initial spawning camp and we can't even get out. I set a pair of spawn points and they raided those immediately.

This fucking sucks.

I had originally hated campers and being stuck in my spawn. However, there are several routes around maps and ways to get out. I find spending time memorizing maps and their choke points really helpful.

Nothing beats rushing in around the enemy and shottying them in the back of the head :p

Zen

Banned
Xater said:
Someone who thinks like me yay! :D

I'd also like to see it for turrets though.

I haven't messed around with turrets yet (I haven't unlocked Engineer) but is therea restriction on the amount of active turrets on a map? If I'm reading this right, you want turret to also be 'breakable' on command?

So far so good with Killzone 2 online, I haven't progressed very far, yet, and the game hasn't matured yet on account of most players being low level, but I can see the potential for nice relatively complex scenarios to play out. I've managed to get the gunplay/sensitivity on my end down from 'spastic twitch gameplay' to 'relatively measured and tactical'.

I'm finding that smaller games are generally more fun/tactical. The only online game that has so far been able to provide me with depth to hold my interest is really Metal gear Online (So criminally under rated game on account of the Konami ID and initial control complexity/aiming frustrations) and a little bit of Team Fortress 2. I think Killzone 2 online will be occupying my time for a while before I inevitably get back into MGO in a month+. I might end up cycling between the two if Killzone 2 online end up being really good.

Zophar

How in the fuck are you supposed to get the "beat the game without dying" trophy? Every time you die it autosaves; I don't even get the chance to reload to the last checkpoint. What gives?

TheFatOne

klownboots said:
I had originally hated campers and being stuck in my spawn. However, there are several routes around maps and ways to get out. I find spending time memorizing maps and their choke points really helpful.

Nothing beats rushing in around the enemy and shottying them in the back of the head :p

What I hate more than campers are dumb team mates.

MirageDwarf said:
I'm playing on trooper difficulty. 20% progress after 3 hr. 48 mins. Lots of bullets wasted. :(

Don't worry about it. Everyone sucks when they first start out. For example, the first game I played online I had 20 deaths and 1 kill.

Ilparazzo

FFObsessed said:
Tiddles, I can't get the boost ribbon. I've boosted exactly 10 times in one round, and I've boosted more than 10 times in one round and I didn't get it either times. Other people can't get it either and some get it no problem. I think it's buggy. It's very annoying as well seeing as I want to swap boost with other classes. >_<

I finally realized how to get those **bleep** ribbons.

You have to boost 10 times during a MISSION. If you are playing a game with multiple missions, you have to boost 10 times during just one of those, not across them.

Once you activate the boost (right on D-pad), you have 10 secs of super speed. Sprint a bit (L3) and wait for the boost to recharge (it takes 30 secs to recharge). Now, boost again. Repeat this 10 times and you’ll be awarded the ribbon at the end of the match (not sure if exiting it before it ends works as well).

Now, since most missions last 5 minutes (300 seconds), you don’t gave time to perform 10 boost during one of them.
10 secs of boost + 30 secs of recharge = 40 secs per boost. 40 x 10 (times you need to perform boost) = 400 seconds.

There are two ways to overcome this problem:

1 - Instead of waiting for the boost to recharge, just die. You’ll respawn after just 8 secs with the ability to perform a new boost rightaway. Basically you can recharge boost in 8 seconds instead of 30 by dieing.

2 - Create or enter a room with at least one mission time limit set to 10 minutes or above. This will give you plenty of time to perform 10 full boosts. Of course, avoid missions with objectives that might end the match before the time expires. I suggest creating a Bodycount only room with time limit set to 10 and kills limit to max ( this is how I got my ribbons).

Danne-Danger said:
How does the cloak work? Is it timed or do you lose it when you shoot/get shot at like with disguises?

You can stay cloaked as much as you want until you shoot someone and if you get shot it gets lifted for like a second then starts working again

SnakeXs

Danne-Danger said:

It's only perfect when you're still. When you move it fades away and you can be seen. Other than that, it lasts forever, until you hit someone. I don't think getting hit ends it.

I'm having a few issues with sniping. Only tried it twice, but from really far away (the mountain /right side on the desert map from the HG base, overlooking the ISA base) it doesn't seem to hit, or it's simply not pinpoint accurate. Or I missed, a lot. Quite possible. :lol

klownboots said:

Wait till you get tactician. Drop a spawn point flanking them, then watch the entire team steam roll them from behind. You really can't underestimate the power of the tactician.

Teknoman

SnakeXs said:
It's only perfect when you're still. When you move it fades away and you can be seen. Other than that, it lasts forever, until you hit someone. I don't think getting hit ends it.

I'm having a few issues with sniping. Only tried it twice, but from really far away (the mountain /right side on the desert map from the HG base, overlooking the ISA base) it doesn't seem to hit, or it's simply not pinpoint accurate. Or I missed, a lot. Quite possible. :lol

Desert has wind. Aim to accommodate for the wind messing with your shot. At least thats what I remember reading about that area. Messes with grenade tosses abit too I think.

Xater

Zen said:
I haven't messed around with turrets yet (I haven't unlocked Engineer) but is therea restriction on the amount of active turrets on a map? If I'm reading this right, you want turret to also be 'breakable' on command?

Pretty much. Every team can only build 4 turrets and when the objective changes they soemtimes are no longer need at their position. Then, just like with the C4, you have to destroy them yourself so you can build new ones.

Top Bottom