• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Rolf NB

dfyb said:
you could still shoot while running in doom. sprinting usually removes your ability to shoot.
Yeah, I know, it served a totally different purpose. Movement on a PC keyboard is digital, so adding explicit sprint is the easiest way to let the player control speed. Otherwise it does nothing. Doom 3 at least has a stamina mechanic.

Cuisino

Neo Member
just finished chapter/mission 4 yesterday evening, some impressions (and no, I'm not biased):

kz2 is a good fps, but that's about it. in my opinion killzone is just to repetive until now...even
for a shooter. it's just feels like they ran out of ideas. especially in the 3rd and 4th mission if sometimes
feels like playing the horde mode in gears2. you just wait in a specific place for waves of enemies,
until everything is killed. although is looks really great, the gameplay is really old and very repetetive.
there are for sure better fps out there.

and; to many indoor levels.

the game is tense. if you like war, this is it. I'm having problems playing for more than 1 hour at a time,
never happened to me before. most people will probably like this, which I can understand.

if anyone wants some more details, just ask.

Cuisino said:
just finished chapter/mission 4 yesterday evening, some impressions (and no, I'm not biased):

kz2 is a good fps, but that's about it. in my opinion killzone is just to repetive until now...even
for a shooter. it's just feels like they ran out of ideas. especially in the 3rd and 4th mission if sometimes
feels like playing the horde mode in gears2. you just wait in a specific place for waves of enemies,
until everything is killed. although is looks really great, the gameplay is really old and very repetetive.

the game is tense. if you like war, this is it. I'm having problems playing for more than 1 hour at a time,
never happened to me before. most people will probably like this, which I can understand.

That description could pretty much exactly describe the first gears... I dunno, when you look at the core mechanics of most fps, and alot of games in general they are pretty repetitive...MGS4 was a massive recent exception to me...had more variety than the last 10 games Ive played

Zeliard

deepbrown said:
The point of innovation is to surprise you and surprise the player. If it doesn't the game can feel old and stale. However, Killzone 2 DOES surprise you in the game - in level design, in delivery, in its visuals and setting. So it doesn't have the failings of a game that doesn't innovate and doesn't surprise the player.

Todd Howard and Ken Levine are correct - games don't need to do something new as a rule, but rather any "newness" should be a natural extension of what the developers are originally aiming for. The biggest reason Edge's complaints, specifically, about innovation don't make sense is the following:

Edge said:
Because if Dead Space shows just what can be gained when you approach the familiar with a mind to making changes,‭ ‬Killzone‭ ‬2‭ ‬shows just what can happen when you don’t.

Such a puzzling statement. Dead Space is in the exact same boat as Killzone 2 - a game that doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but has very strong core gameplay mechanics, is an audio-visual marvel and is polished to a spit-shine.

The biggest criticisms of Dead Space all have to do with its perceived lack of innovation, so to try and contrast that with Killzone 2 is nonsensical - there's nothing to contrast when they're identical in that respect.

I also didn't think it was fair at the time for Dead Space to be criticized for not doing something drastically different. I don't think any game that does exactly what the developers set out to do should be - a big reason many games fail is because they are too ambitious and put aside things like basic gameplay mechanics as an expense. You know, making sure the game is actually fun to play. The single most unfortunate and disappointing example of that this gen is probably Spore.

dfyb

Banned
Grayman said:
Ok then ET in 2000 or 2001?
enemy territory? that was 2003. i think sprinting was added to DoD in 2.0, which was 2001 (even earlier if sprinting was in b1.3). i never claimed DoD invented it (though it may have) -- it was just the first game i could think of that had it.

Zeliard said:
Todd Howard and Ken Levine are correct - games don't need to do something new as a rule, but rather any "newness" should be a natural extension of what the developers are originally aiming for. The biggest reason Edge's complaints, specifically, about innovation don't make sense is the following:

Such a puzzling statement. Dead Space is in the exact same boat as Killzone 2 - a game that doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but has very strong core gameplay mechanics, is an audio-visual marvel and is polished to a spit-shine.

The biggest criticisms of Dead Space all have to do with its perceived lack of innovation, so to try and contrast that with Killzone 2 is nonsensical - there's nothing to contrast when they're identical in that respect.

I also didn't think it was fair at the time for Dead Space to be criticized for not doing something drastically different. I don't think any game that does exactly what the developers set out to do should be - a big reason many games fail is because they are too ambitious and put aside things like basic gameplay mechanics as an expense. You know, making sure the game is actually fun to play. The single most unfortunate and disappointing example of that this gen is probably Spore.
indeed. i loved Dead Space. but because it was a good and immersive game. there was nothing innovative and it was pretty repetative.

edit: indeed 2: Spore is a big achievement.. but i never thought about buying it.. just doesn't look like fun at all.

nib95

Banned
Anton Ego said:
In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so

Love that film. One of the better Pixar movies imo. In any case that Edge article a few pages back where they try and show their numbers aren't dodgy instead imo show the opposite. That their numbers are completely inconsistent and all over the place.

Grayman

dfyb said:
enemy territory? that was 2003. i think sprinting was added to DoD in 2.0, which was 2001 (even earlier if sprinting was in b1.3). i never claimed DoD invented it (though it may have) -- it was just the first game i could think of that had it.
In my head i was thinking of it being older. I do wonder where it first did show up now if it was not DOD.

cryptic

Cuisino said:

You have to wait for enemies to attack? Also, maybe shooters aren't for you, because a shooter should mostly be about how it feels to shoot and kill the enemies, at least imo. Could you go into more detail about what you thought of that aspect?

Cuisino said:

i think the game changes when you move forwards sometimes....

El-Suave

Couples strolling in Munich, Germany on Valentine's day might be in for a surprise. Sony is doing some street marketing and having a Hellghast trooper handing roses to people and taking pictures with them.

e8e4a2a358899094bdc080245c79cc.jpg
7612601a95319d126274f43d4dfaff.jpg
be9d94dfaff4a210f21ee0f4b0a471.jpg
4e60c982acab326914c0ef900ba38a.jpg

http://www.giga.de/news/00148618_rosen_am_valentinstag/

cryptic

MrTroubleMaker said:
I did, and it did the same thing in the beta. It gets removed because it would get in the sights way, the sight is to low for practicality

Aren't you supposed to stare through that loop when looking through the ironsights of a gun, so it doesn't need to be in the picture?

Doc Evils

dfyb said:
you could still shoot while running in doom. sprinting usually removes your ability to shoot.

Front Line Force also used sprinting and a sprint bar. The more you run the more tired you woud get, which also effected your walking.

El-Suave said:
Couples strolling in Munich, Germany on Valentine's day might be in for a surprise. Sony is doing some street marketing and having a Hellghast trooper handing roses to people and taking pictures with them.

e8e4a2a358899094bdc080245c79cc.jpg
7612601a95319d126274f43d4dfaff.jpg
be9d94dfaff4a210f21ee0f4b0a471.jpg
4e60c982acab326914c0ef900ba38a.jpg

http://www.giga.de/news/00148618_rosen_am_valentinstag/

Man he looks scary.:lol

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
El-Suave said:

http://static3.gigagfx.de/images/cache/93/e8e4a2a358899094bdc080245c79cc.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://static3.gigagfx.de/images/cache/af/7612601a95319d126274f43d4dfaff.jpg[/MG][IMG]http://static3.gigagfx.de/images/cache/7c/be9d94dfaff4a210f21ee0f4b0a471.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://static3.gigagfx.de/images/cache/d6/4e60c982acab326914c0ef900ba38a.jpgIMG]
[URL="http://www.giga.de/news/00148618_rosen_am_valentinstag/"]http://www.giga.de/news/00148618_rosen_am_valentinstag/[/URL][/QUOTE]
Someone needs to use one of these as their avatar.

Binabik15

Oh boy, the Valentine Helghast looks great, but, uh, I can already hear our German TV stations and politicians raising a shitstorm about "Sony and other Nazi sympathesizers shocking Bavaria!1 Ban video games MOAR!". Le sigh.

Sorc3r3r

Binabik15 said:
Oh boy, the Valentine Helghast looks great, but, uh, I can already hear our German TV stations and politicians raising a shitstorm about "Sony and other Nazi sympathesizers shocking Bavaria!1 Ban video games MOAR!". Le sigh.

Maybe they are going to do this purpousely.
It would be a great advertisement to be on the national news and even other european countries could broadcast this news.

Binabik15

Yeah, that´s what I think, BUT we´re just recovering from having green blood in our games and this stuff has the potential for epic backfire :lol

It comes out here Uncut AND features space nazis, last thing you want to do is giving our politicans something to talk about to gloss over their horrible politics. And our semi-fascist censorship institution BPJS is on the starting blocks to kill games once and for all. In a time and country were politicians (albeit stupid ones) are attacked by the media and the Israeli ambassy for critizing the Gaza conflict, Helghast are maybe the last thing you should have running around.

Then again, I´m just frightened that this awesome game and GG, who created this gem, will be hurt money wise. And that one day you´ll go to prison for oqing games.:lol

Cuisino

Neo Member
Always-honest said:
i think the game changes when you move forwards sometimes....

in these particular spots you cannot move forward. It's a locked area and you just have to fight wave over wave.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Cuisino said:
in these particular spots you cannot move forward. It's a locked area and you just have to fight wave over wave.

I'm pretty sure he meant forward into the game, not into the level at hand ;)

Keep playing and come back when you have played all of it. You are not even midway.

nib95

Banned
TTP said:
I'm pretty sure he meant forward into the game, not into the level at hand ;)

Keep playing and come back when you have played all of it. You are not even midway.

Indeed. The game does start a touch too intense, but the pacing does balance itself out in the mid to latter stages.

Rolf NB

Xater said:
I really hope someone will film or at least take photos from that valentines thing. :lol
http://i40.tinypic.com/2uff3g0.jpg

Your avatar is too tall after scaling to 90px width. You must maintain the 90x120 aspect ratio. A 81px wide image may be up to 81px*(120/90)=108px tall.

Basically, for GAF avatars you should scale whatever source material you want to use to 90px width, and then crop off the top and bottom to make it 120px tall or less. Doing 90px width also avoids scaling artifacts in certain browsers.

I just made this:
2u6iqzl.jpg
332ylqx.jpg
21293r9.jpg
imky0o.jpg

Anyone who wants to use it, feel free.

JB1981

Forsete said:
Well here is my video where I compare some things from Killzone to Killzone 2, nothing fancy.. But this might be one of the bigger leaps I have seen between two games in different generations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgE1Rbye6Xw&fmt=22

Thanks to Dragnet! :D
Incredible!
That orchestral score is some stirring shit too. And god damn, how do you get so many headshots with all that fucking lag, dude?
lulz

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
JB1981 said:
Incredible!
That orchestral score is some stirring shit too. And god damn, how do you get so many headshots with all that fucking lag, dude?
lulz
Seriously, I call hax.

methane47

Cuisino said:

Atleast they aren't infinite

Top Bottom