• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

DunpealD

bcn-ron said:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2uff3g0.jpg

Your avatar is too tall after scaling to 90px width. You must maintain the 90x120 aspect ratio. A 81px wide image may be up to 81px*(120/90)=108px tall.

Basically, for GAF avatars you should scale whatever source material you want to use to 90px width, and then crop off the top and bottom to make it 120px tall or less. Doing 90px width also avoids scaling artifacts in certain browsers.

I just made this:
2u6iqzl.jpg
332ylqx.jpg
21293r9.jpg
imky0o.jpg

Anyone who wants to use it, feel free.

I'm thinking about changing my avatar to one of them for valentines... Anybody has something against it, me or other people using the same avatar? It's just for a day.

Would be kinda funny to see people having the same Helghast valentine avatar in GAF :lol

andycapps

.GqueB. said:
Who said anything about mind reading? You yourself said that itd all depend on how YOU play the game in certain sections. A lot of games touch on this. Hell even Infamous is.

And as I said, Heavy Rain is touching on the idea of on the fly script writing. Or at least touching on the scenario where what you as the gamer has a tangible impact on...

you know what never mind.

You know who Iain is, right? Used to work at Guerilla, the guy has some experience with this, you know... But anyway, I see what yours and his points are in this. You're looking at this completely as a gamer and saying wouldn't it be great if I could control the whole game and make my own decisions? As a content creator, Iain is telling you how it just can't work.

Even Heavy Rain as you brought up is not really going to be you making all the decisions. They'll probably have a lot of different scenarios that can play out and you can choose one of them. Which is still very exciting to me and I'm excited to see how it pans out; if it ends up as good as the director is promising.

In an FPS, if you die as you say, and such and such door doesn't get opened or you don't destroy "X" gun emplacement, how is the game going to know what to do? At most, they'd be able to have the illusion of you being in control by having several possible scenarios. The main problem that I see is if you die, whose character do you take over? Is the game just over? Do you immediately move into the view of one of your squadmates? What if the voice acting before made him appear to be an arrogant bastard and you don't want to be controlling him in the first place?

On the other point, if you weren't able to open such and such a door or "X" gun emplacement wasn't destroyed, how is the game going to plan on what to do? They don't just write themselves (yet :D ). At the most, like I said, you could have a couple different scenarios that the developers could program into the game. But even then, if you're going into all this different stuff that no one has really tried before, something in the game is going to have to get cut. GG would not have been able to make the game as-is, plus adding in these concepts you're talking about. Or rather, they *may* have been able to, but it would have taken some compromises on design, or would have taken much more time, money, and manpower.

Haunted

Lovely Salsa said:
nooo I finished the game! It ended so soon :(

What to do now? What to do?
Same thing we always do after beating a game, Pinky.

Wait for the next big game to come along.
:D

Prothero

Neo Member
Question: In Qore Episode 8, there is an awesome screenshot of a bunch of Helghast running and what appears to be a half-cloaked Helghast Scout running alongside them.

Does anyone here have the screenshot, hopefully in wallpaper size?

Always-honest said:
indeed. i loved Dead Space. but because it was a good and immersive game. there was nothing innovative and it was pretty repetative.

edit: indeed 2: Spore is a big achievement.. but i never thought about buying it.. just doesn't look like fun at all.

I don't agree at all about Dead Space doing nothing innovative. The Scenario may have been rather typical, but the decision to make EVERYTHING diegetic was pretty big and gutsy. It also proved that a game can still be scary if it allows you to shoot while walking.

Lord Phol

This game is making me want a PS3 soooo bad, but I would be utterly broke if I got one :(. if only there was a price drop soon.

Rolf NB

Cruzader said:
that be nice feature to have. Jak games had this.(reverse world)

Edit:wait does KZ2 have this???? That would be an unexpected feature!
Hell no, I don't think so. I was just associating wildly from "finishing a game far too quickly" to "racing through a game" to "features expected from a racing game".

But I really want the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess as an unlockable. That would be awesome. You could play it on a computer terminal on the ship or something. And Maniac Mansion, too. I'm listening to a podcast now and have trouble focusing on this converstaion. Thank you for your patronage.

Oh and guys, if you were like me and watched every single video out there (on gamersyde/gametrailers etc), you made a HUGE mistake :/

Yep, I said it. But for those who haven't seen many video's, STOP LOOKING NOW. The video's show every single level of the game, usually they show just a small piece of the game but not with this one, they spoiled it all.

deepbrown

Lord Phol said:
This game is making me want a PS3 soooo bad, but I would be utterly broke if I got one :(. if only there was a price drop soon.
£289 for PS3, Killzone 2, LBP, Dark Knight....what you got to lose? :D

andycapps

SSM25 said:
So when did Ian leave Guerrilla?

Have to let him answer, but he used to be EON on the Playstation forums. Maybe 6 months ago? I know he's still doing some freelance stuff for them and seems to be very involved with the game still.

Tom Penny

Zeliard said:
Todd Howard and Ken Levine are correct - games don't need to do something new as a rule, but rather any "newness" should be a natural extension of what the developers are originally aiming for. The biggest reason Edge's complaints, specifically, about innovation don't make sense is the following:

Funny thing is they reference Tom Chick in the interview who ripped apart this game and said it wasn't even worth playing.

Pojo

Banned
Zeliard said:
Such a puzzling statement. Dead Space is in the exact same boat as Killzone 2 - a game that doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but has very strong core gameplay mechanics, is an audio-visual marvel and is polished to a spit-shine.

The biggest criticisms of Dead Space all have to do with its perceived lack of innovation, so to try and contrast that with Killzone 2 is nonsensical - there's nothing to contrast when they're identical in that respect.

I also didn't think it was fair at the time for Dead Space to be criticized for not doing something drastically different. I don't think any game that does exactly what the developers set out to do should be - a big reason many games fail is because they are too ambitious and put aside things like basic gameplay mechanics as an expense. You know, making sure the game is actually fun to play. The single most unfortunate and disappointing example of that this gen is probably Spore.
Dead Space isn't even close to the best that the genre has to offer, and isn't in the same league as Killzone in terms of audio or visuals. It's just a great game that came out of left field (I loved it), but still features samey environments and mediocre level design. It did enough to innovate with the setting. I think the whole concept of innovation is overrated. Sure, it sets the great games apart from the transcendent games, but in the end, all I want is a fundamentally sound gameplay experience. Dead Space had that. Killzone appears to have that.

Everyone wants to compare everything to Dead Space nowadays. What's up with that? I think for the hell of it, we should compare everything to Mirror's Edge. "It has a very distinct art style, excellent gameplay mechanics, and is the most unique thing the genre has to offer!" And the most important thing for GAF: sold like crap.

overlord741 said:
best FPS ever OMG great work GG great work
beat it twice and i cant leave that game :D

lovely salsa said:
nooo I finished the game! It ended so soon :(

What to do now? What to do?

You lucky bastards.
If either of you want to post detailed impressions be sure to PM them to me so I can add
it to the OP.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Pojo said:
Dead Space isn't even close to the best that the genre has to offer, and isn't in the same league as Killzone in terms of audio or visuals. It's just a great game that came out of left field (I loved it), but still features samey environments and mediocre level design. It did enough to innovate with the setting. I think the whole concept of innovation is overrated. Sure, it sets the great games apart from the transcendent games, but in the end, all I want is a fundamentally sound gameplay experience. Dead Space had that. Killzone appears to have that.

Everyone wants to compare everything to Dead Space nowadays. What's up with that? I think for the hell of it, we should compare everything to Mirror's Edge. "It has a very distinct art style, excellent gameplay mechanics, and is the most unique thing the genre has to offer!" And the most important thing for GAF: sold like crap.

it sold like crap because story/stroytelling/gameplay/ and level design where bad...by bad i mean shit ...
its a repetetive and boring mess... this game would have worked so well in a sand box version, but its linear design is just gamebreaking, because the player does nothing greater than to run away ALL THE FUCKING TIME... you know linear games like cod4 at least showed something off ... bah, ok sorry i just hate the fact that i spend money on this game...

edit: funny little story: a friend of mine started the game... and after he died like ten times in the tutorial and had to watch it over and over again he broke his controler ... well i think it was funny

JB1981 said:
Jesus. That's exactly what I was afraid of. Like I said before, most overexposed game this gen.

R2 was the same, i could speedrun trough levels because i saw then being played... it was awfull...

JB1981

Lovely Salsa said:
Oh and guys, if you were like me and watched every single video out there (on gamersyde/gametrailers etc), you made a HUGE mistake :/

Yep, I said it. But for those who haven't seen many video's, STOP LOOKING NOW. The video's show every single level of the game, usually they show just a small piece of the game but not with this one, they spoiled it all.

Jesus. That's exactly what I was afraid of. Like I said before, most overexposed game this gen.

sankt-Antonio said:
it sold like crap because story/stroytelling/gameplay/ and level design where bad...by bad i mean shit ...
its a repetetive and boring mess... this game would have worked so well in a sand box version, but its linear design is just gamebreaking, because the player does nothing greater than to run away ALL THE FUCKING TIME... you know linear games like cod4 at least showed something off ... bah, ok sorry i just hate the fact that i spend money on this game...

edit: funny little story: a friend of mine started the game... and after he died like ten times in the tutorial and had to watch it over and over again he broke his controler ... well i think it was funny

R2 was the same, i could speedrun trough levels because i saw then being played... it was awfull...

Running all the time, you mean the parkour free running platformer called Mirror's Edge is mostly about running?!

I'll be damned!!

andycapps

JB1981 said:

That's why I've been trying to ignore as much as possible of pictures and videos posted in this thread and the previous one. It's a good thing no pictures will load at my work, afterall! :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
andycapps said:
That's why I've been trying to ignore as much as possible of pictures and videos posted in this thread and the previous one. It's a good thing no pictures will load at my work, afterall! :lol

I think the advantage Killzone 2 has is that the AI is great, so scenarios play out a little differently each time.
angry.gif

McLovin

Lovely Salsa said:

FUCK! Ahh.. it will be ok ;_;

careksims

Haha at the Valentine's pictures.

It's a good thing I haven't watched all the vids or pics. I haven't seen any of the multiplayer vids at all or the intro. Almost going to start out fresh :D

Even after playing the demo more than 10 times, I'm still at awe with it.

Street Fighter next week and KZ2 the following week. I can wait for it. They won't have the servers up before that.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Arnie

FFObsessed said:
Well we'll see after a few weeks who sticks around, most people don't keep turning up to these things after the first or second game. And if we have a problem where too many people want to play regularly, we can split them up or form separate teams within the 1 clan.

TTP and Wollan should be officers along side myself. If we for example have 32 regulars we could form two teams. Dunpeal + 1 officer on one team + 14 others and the other two officers running a second team with the other 14. And we can set up games for each team individually.

But we'll see what happens.
That sounds like a good idea.

Btw, is there anyone who has the game who can spill where they got it from?

Top Bottom