• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Zeliard

Danne-Danger said:
There's like a 30 sec cooldown between uses. And yes, it's waaaaaaaay too long.

If that's what you mean.

I dunno about that. The Medic could be too dominant in this game if it were shorter, since he can essentially resurrect people from the "dead" (unlike, say, the TF2 Medic who can't do anything for you once you're down).

30 seconds is a good cooldown timer. If it were less you could have one squad with a Medic dominating the entire other team, especially since I'm still seeing tons of people who don't fully take people out when they're down and instead leave them squirming (and capable of being resurrected).

Schrade

So for those interested, here are IGN's 3 Killzone 2 developer blog videos. I haven't seen anyone post about the third one but they are all fucking awesome background info.

Killzone 2 PlayStation 3 Behind the Scenes - Killzone 2 Blog: E3 2005 Trailer

Killzone 2 PlayStation 3 Behind the Scenes - Killzone 2 Blog: Multiplayer 2006 Prototype Trailer

Killzone 2 PlayStation 3 Behind the Scenes - Killzone 2 Blog: E3 2007 In-Game Trailer

Here's some example of what's in the third one. They're analyzing the E3 2007 trailer:
igcll0.jpg

Raist

Banned
Holy shit at the amount of stuff done by the SPU.

"Total time 197.88%" :lol

edit: Main RAM 100MB? Video 190? Watwat?

Teknoman

Zeliard said:
I dunno about that. The Medic could be too dominant in this game if it were shorter, since he can essentially resurrect people from the "dead" (unlike, say, the TF2 Medic who can't do anything for you once you're down).

30 seconds is a good cooldown timer. If it were less you could have one squad with a Medic dominating the entire other team, especially since I'm still seeing tons of people who don't fully take people out when they're down and instead leave them squirming (and capable of being resurrected).

Yeah, i've started to take out people bleeding out. For some reason it feels meaner than in Gears though :lol

Schrade

Raist said:

I specifically took that screenshot at that point not for stats but because it's the spot where he goes "That's the fucking convoy?" heh.

I love this shit though. They should have done a collector's edition of this game with a blue ray on the making of Killzone 2.

Zeliard said:

Nah, there would just be more emphasis on gibbing the bodies and not leaving them wounded (also if someone dies from a headshot they can't be revived). The Enemy Territory games both have instant revives that are not controlled by cooldown (I think BF2 as well), you just make sure to knife/shoot everyone you kill. In addition to that, in KZ2 bodies are gibbed by a single bullet, and turrets/sentry drones will also shoot on downed people. I don’t think it would be a problem at all tbh.

At least put it on like a 15 sec timer or something. As I said before I hate just standing there while people are wounded. :(

-viper-

Banned
alba said:
I'm curious to see, what's everyone configuration for MP?

Code:
Invert X-axis: NO
Invert Y-axis: NO
Sensitivity: (0 being default)
X-axis: +1
Y-axis: +1
Zoom Hold: NO
Button mapping: Standard 1

:D
Default controls. I don't ever change the controls in any FPS game I play. I stick to what the devs have advised for every game.

Schrade said:
So for those interested, here are IGN's 3 Killzone 2 developer blog videos. I haven't seen anyone post about the third one but they are all fucking awesome background info.

Killzone 2 PlayStation 3 Behind the Scenes - Killzone 2 Blog: E3 2005 Trailer

Killzone 2 PlayStation 3 Behind the Scenes - Killzone 2 Blog: Multiplayer 2006 Prototype Trailer

Killzone 2 PlayStation 3 Behind the Scenes - Killzone 2 Blog: E3 2007 In-Game Trailer

Here's some example of what's in the third one. They're analyzing the E3 2007 trailer:
Wow thats really interesting. It cool to see what is exactly going through their head during making of the cutscenes and stuff.

Is anyone an insider, and wants to upload the Generation Gap to some place?

nib95

Banned
Raist said:

It's crazy seeing how many processes the SPE's are using. Also interesting that in that scene (where there's quite a bit of scale, geometry and crap going on) the total ram usage is actually only 285mb. 512mb minus the amount needed for the OS (what is it, 64mb now?) and that still leaves them with 163mb of free memory.

Schrade

Teknoman said:
Yeah, i've started to take out people bleeding out. For some reason it feels meaner than in Gears though :lol
Yeah and it always seems that there's a few more melee bashes killing someone when it was a saboteur or someone who killed you a lot. A lot of aggression gets let out on those bleeding out bash-kills.

*thump* *thump* *crack* *squish* *mush*

hwateber

Just finished the game. Wow, I thought the first level looked really impressive, but as I progressed through the game I was surprised to see that it was probably the worst looking stage of the game :D

Raist

Banned
nib95 said:
It's crazy seeing how many processes the SPE's are using. Also interesting that in that scene (where there's quite a bit of scale, geometry and crap going on) the total ram usage is actually only 285mb. 512mb minus the amount needed for the OS (what is it, 64mb now?) and that still leaves them with 163mb of free memory.

I have NO idea how they're pulling this shit off with such low memory usage. That's crazy.

And IIRC the OS footprit is down to 40megs or something.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Raist said:
I have NO idea how they're pulling this shit off with such low memory usage. That's crazy.

And IIRC the OS footprit is down to 40megs or something.
They're not running any gameplay code in that scene. Doesn't, like, AI or something take up memory?

punkypine

Zeliard said:

especially with the ability to spawn on the squad leader, if a medic can keep him up, the rest of the squad can spawn right back into the actoin anyway

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
SolidSnakex said:
I'm hoping they release the map they created for that 2006 multiplayer trailer. It looked absolutely amazing. Here it is for those that haven't seen it

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/7484...s/IGN_killzoneblog2_multiplayer06_021909.html
I'd like more maps for sure, but something in a completely different style would be my first choice.

If we're talking maps from Killzone 1, please bring back Beach Head!! I think me and a friend spent countless hours 1vs1 on that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjb1QDG96kA

Raist

Banned
Y2Kev said:
They're not running any gameplay code in that scene. Doesn't, like, AI or something take up memory?

Well, AI does eat a bit of CPU and SPU time in that screen. But yeah, not too heavily.
That said, only considering geometry/textures, that's really a tiny amout of memory considering all the shit going on.

-viper-

Banned
Corinth Crossing (MP Map) looks better than Corinth River (SP).

Anyone agree?

I also decided to check out the spectator mode and I was shocked at how good third person view looked. It looked amazing and the textures looked even better.

Syphon Filter on the PS3 definitely needs to use the Killzone 2 engine!

nib95

Banned
Y2Kev said:

Watch the video. The AI, physics routines and everything are already running. He states that the battle below is ensuing though you cannot see it in view, and that the Helghan there have already spotted your ships are already reacting accordingly based on AI.

-viper- said:
I also decided to check out the spectator mode and I was shocked at how good third person view looked. It looked amazing and the textures looked even better.
I wish it was possible to spec in first person, would be a good way to learn new tricks.

Teknoman

Teetris said:
I'd like more maps for sure, but something in a completely different style would be my first choice.

If we're talking maps from Killzone 1, please bring back Beach Head!! I think me and a friend spent countless hours 1vs1 on that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjb1QDG96kA

I'd take it. Also KZ1 menu music was awesome.

Oh yeah, and I wish someone would jump in with recording capabilities as a spectator to some of the more epic GAF matches.

Pojo

Banned
I want to play the single player mode. However, since there is only one TV in the house at the moment (until I get my Panasonic, anyway) and my nephew is always around it, I can't play it because of all the fucking cursing.

:D How good is it, GAF?

Multiplayer is great. Seems like everyone is horrible at it. I just want a sniper rifle.

Zeliard

Danne-Danger said:
Nah, there would just be more emphasis on gibbing the bodies and not leaving them wounded (also if someone dies from a headshot they can't be revived). The Enemy Territory games both have instant revives that are not controlled by cooldown (I think BF2 as well), you just make sure to knife/shoot everyone you kill. In addition to that, in KZ2 bodies are gibbed by a single bullet, and turrets/sentry drones will also shoot on downed people. I don’t think it would be a problem at all tbh.

At least put it on like a 15 sec timer or something. As I said before I hate just standing there while people are wounded. :(

Depends. My main reasoning was that a lot of people still aren't killing the downed bodies, but if the cooldown timer were lowered, it should start forcing people to do that as you said since medics would be reviving people all over the place.

So it could work. I was guessing they didn't do that to keep the Medic from possibly being overpowered, but then you look at what they did with the Assault class, and that doesn't really fly anymore. :p

punkypine said:
especially with the ability to spawn on the squad leader, if a medic can keep him up, the rest of the squad can spawn right back into the actoin anyway

Yeah, that's a good point. Being able to spawn on spawn points or on the squad leader can easily turn the tide of battle, and a Medic with a lower cooldown timer would obviously have an easier time keeping the leader up.

I think in the end, it all depends on how quickly it takes for people to learn not to leave anyone alive (except in those early games where nobody has unlocked anything yet). If players adapt to that, they could probably lower the cooldown timer a little bit without compromising the balance.

-viper- said:
Corinth Crossing (MP Map) looks better than Corinth River (SP).

Anyone agree?

Syphon Filter on the PS3 definitely needs to use the Killzone 2 engine!

The draw distance in multiplayer is also surprisingly godly. I really don't know how they did it. Killzone 2's engine is silly.

Dirtbag

How would killzone 1 map remakes even work in a game that's predominately 32 players online?
These remakes better have some extra 'wings' added to accomadate all the players. I hate the constant bumping into shit online.

Teknoman said:
I think alot of people brought that up during the GTAIV release week. I've never seen a game running in that mode, but bluray movies look like "60fps".

Hmm I may have to try that game out as well. If this is true, it looks like I will be playing on my parents tv every time I visit from now on. The difference is crazy.

ianp622

Y2Kev said:

From what I understand, AI typically doesn't take up too much memory. It's mostly calculations based on information that is already available, such as soldier positions, cover positions, and scripts (which take up very little memory).

Finally finished Veteran. I'll never do that again, nor will I play on Elite. I think I just couldn't enjoy the game with the difficulty at such a high level. It's time to just have fun. I'll start MP soon. I'm getting better at aiming, but still- JUST FUCKING GET IT FIXED GUERILLA:D

Raist

Banned
-viper- said:
How?

And exactly what matters in the ranking, your overall score?

Honestly KZ2 features the WORST online trophies ever.

Why, how?

BECAUSE I PWNZ!

Well ok, not really. Dunno how it works, I guess it's your overall score, averaged by game. Or number of winz. No idea.

Macattk15 said:
Yeah my stats disappeared too.

If I could even sign in to check I would. It hangs at the login screen for me.

Played some great matches with a few random peeps. They all had headsets and we were in the same squad. Spawning on your squad leader makes the game 1000% more enjoyable. Don't know how to add people like on XBL so I was hoping to look them up on the game match history. Bummer.

I need to get more people on my PSN List. If you play Killzone 2 with a headset send me an invite, my PSN is Phaethon.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Pojo said:
How many kills do you guys get in a standard game with all missions?
That really depends if you're more of the teamplayer or just killing. I usually get around 20 kills, most of them in Body Count.

Zeliard said:
So it could work. I was guessing they didn't do that to keep the Medic from possibly being overpowered, but then you look at what they did with the Assault class, and that doesn't really fly anymore. :p
As I understand it they put it there because people were padding their stats with it, and because people didn't want to be revived or something like that.

Ilparazzo

Pojo said:
How many kills do you guys get in a standard game with all missions?
Around 40 - 50, sometimes up, depends on the number of foes.

Edit: Finally got the Valor Grand Cross, now I can resume my normal life :lol

Pojo

Banned
Teetris said:
That really depends if you're more of the teamplayer or just killing. I usually get around 20 kills, most of them in Body Count.
Indeed. I need to get in on some GAF matches because it usually just turns into a deathmatch. I can understand why, though...you don't get many points unless you get kills.

Top Bottom