• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Lastest development
Seb (GG) said:
Okay, before I start crying.

1. We have not decided if we are going to do anything to the controls. We are investigating.
2. If we change them, we have not said how. No reason to get upset. We are not going to turn them on their head. It would not be sweeping changes.
3. Any potential changes made will be carefully analyzed and tested to ensure they do not negatively affect players who do not experience any issues.

Now can you all take a break and stop making threads about this. They will not affect change either way.

Seb Downie - Producer - Guerrilla Games

Facism

FFObsessed said:
I was just on the Pyrrhus Map and at the beginning of the game it said "Live_Feed" leaves game.

Got 70 points with only 2 deaths.

I'm getting my sniper medals now so if the map is Visar Palace or something I usually find a different game.

i had just joined, dear sir! It was that shitty small map that's apparently underground. I was brapping ISA left and right, ended the round with no deaths and 18 kills D: That's going to be good for the K:D ratio.

KZObsessed

Facism said:
Yes, even now he's avoiding the post i made D: I hope he's not going to be like the new CO of Easy company in Band of Brother's, after Winters got promoted D:

XD

I just replied to you... you left my game just then...

Thrakier

OK, can someone PLEASE explain me why GG can't just put out a statement saying "our game has xx ms of lag the average lag in a game is xx ms. Halo 3 has xx ms lag. Every delay you feel is not a technical issue, it's a design choice to simulate the handling of heavy weapons. We think it's very rewarding after you got used to it. We hope you'll give the game a fair chance."

THAT'S IT. DO it, GG. If they don't do it people will start to think that something is really wrong with some sort of lag and they jus can't fix it...

Union Carbine said:
MP I like as well but I keep thinking the game isn't sure whether it wants to be a run and gun thing or a stop and pop. Maybe I just don't know how to play it yet. Right now I'm not much good but I'm still trying. I think my highest score so far was finishing second place on the winning team with ~30 points or so.

I really feel like if the game had left the cover system in multi, added in some smoke grenades and other camouflaging mechanisms, it would really be over the top.

The feel reminds me of Counterstrike without the excessive use of the sniper rifle. My personal playstyle is to use the standard issue assault rifle and find a good vantage point near a high-traffic area. The nice thing about this game is killing someone doesn't reveal your position so you can stay in one spot for quite a while.

Thrakier said:
...Every delay you feel is not a technical issue, it's a design choice to simulate the handling of heavy weapons. We think it's very rewarding after you got used to it. We hope you'll give the game a fair chance."
Funny you said that because that's exactly my feeling. I never put it down to net lag. I don't think I've played an MP game i thought was laggy yet.

TheRagnCajun said:
The feel reminds me of Counterstrike without the excessive use of the sniper rifle. My personal playstyle is to use the standard issue assault rifle and find a good vantage point near a high-traffic area. The nice thing about this game is killing someone doesn't reveal your position so you can stay in one spot for quite a while.
That's how I've been playing it too, with very mixed success. Some maps, some situations, it works better than others. I love the choke points on the docks map. When I get into those sort of situations, the game really shines - I just think it could shine brighter if they'd left cover in. ;)

I find it very hard to hit anything if I'm moving. I'm sure I'll get a bit better with more playtime.

Thrakier

Union Carbine said:
Funny you said that because that's exactly my feeling. I never put it down to net lag. I don't think I've played an MP game i thought was laggy yet.

I'm talking about 167ms of CONTROLLER LAG. Watch YouTube and GET EDUCATED.

;)

KZObsessed

Facism said:
There's like a timewarp or something. The last game i was in was on Blood Gracht. Was a 32 player spamfest.

:D

ok that's weird. Let me get something to eat and I'll join you! Need my Saboteur's C4 ribbons. :D

Thrakier said:
I'm talking about 167ms of CONTROLLER LAG. Watch YouTube and GET EDUCATED.

;)
Eh, no need. It's not bothering me now. I don't need to watch it and then get bothered by it. As long as I don't experience it, it doesn't exist. ;)

Q-bert said:
Is any body else suddenly feeling all nostalgic about the other thread?

*sniff*
Dude I'm just wondering. I really don't care, personally when I play this game I feel the controls are perfect. I'm not one to sit here and bag on a game because 167MS pass between the time you push the button and the time something happens. I'm just interested to see how different it is from big name games, which people can play without complaining.

Dirtbag

The handling of the weapons when ironsighted is totally off, and close combat really suffers because of the 'weightiness.' I think when most of you hear 'change the controls' you pucker up because you think people expect a total re-haul of everything control related. I'm still convinced they could meet in the middle and have a game with a much wider appeal, and still retain the same skill gap. I've learned the system, I usually finish above most of you in the GAF games, and I still think the game needs adjustments.

Facism

FFObsessed said:
ok that's weird. Let me get something to eat and I'll join you! Need my Saboteur's C4 ribbons. :D

Unlike many here, i can't multitask a firefox browser and KZ2 :lol

I'll jump on again now. Only got 40 mins though, got to get to the gym tonight and pork down.

andycapps

Bugnology said:
There's nothing to change in the gameplay, nothing.

Agreed, and I'm not that good at all. I just know that I need to get a lot better, but I don't think it's any fault of the game. I appreciate that it has a pretty high learning curve. For every game like this, there are literally 10-15 shooters out there that have what these people are asking for.

DKo5 said:
Some of us actually do have problems playing the game due to the controls. I'm really trying to love the game but the controls make it difficult to do so. I appreciate what they are trying to do with the acceleration curves and laborious animations for all the actions, but the delay is seriously making things unnecessarily difficult. Most FPSes I play through on hard (or "hardest"), but I'm having to slog through the campaign of KZ2 on Normal because of the controls. They are a hindrance in letting me enjoy the game.

No offense to you personally, but every time I see comments like this, all I can hear in my head is:

"I'm...awesome. I KNOW I'm awesome. This game must be BRR-ROKEN not to realize just how AWESOME I really am!"

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Get KZ2 for $39.95!
It's the PAL version, site is based in USA though.

http://www.gamedealdaily.com/

Here is how today's deal works:

We start at noon Eastern with 5 copies of Killzone 2 for $39.95. Once those five copies have sold, five more copies will be put up for $40.95. Each time five more copies have sold the price will raise by $1, until we reach $44.95. Once we hit $44.95, the price will stay there until the rest of the day.

All Killzone 2 orders will ship Friday, March 6th.
The site is reputable, and loved on CAG.
I've ordered from them in the past.

Dirtbag

They also need to add a server search feature, and open up the main search options from small /medium / large..

because I want to search for games of around 24 players, but never play/see another 32 player game again.

This game is trainwreck with 32 people.

Thrakier

Blu_LED said:
Dude I'm just wondering. I really don't care, personally when I play this game I feel the controls are perfect. I'm not one to sit here and bag on a game because 167MS pass between the time you push the button and the time something happens. I'm just interested to see how different it is from big name games, which people can play without complaining.

I had no issues at all with the demo. It's just what the youtube videos say. There is a gamasutra article which says that other games have the same amount of lag. Like I said, someone was searching for a technical reason why the controls feel different and what he found was a normal amout of controller lag. The only thing is he didn't know that it was normal and so he made a youtube video out of it. And all the people who don't like the controls believe him. Just read the official board. They even believe that the lag is different depending on your PS3 console. I think the guy who startet this lag shit is a GAFfer...

RavenFox

Banned
DKo5 said:
Some of us actually do have problems playing the game due to the controls. I'm really trying to love the game but the controls make it difficult to do so. I appreciate what they are trying to do with the acceleration curves and laborious animations for all the actions, but the delay is seriously making things unnecessarily difficult. Most FPSes I play through on hard (or "hardest"), but I'm having to slog through the campaign of KZ2 on Normal because of the controls. They are a hindrance in letting me enjoy the game.
What delay?

Thrakier said:
I had no issues at all with the demo. It's just what the youtube videos say. There is a gamasutra article which says that other games have the same amount of lag. Like I said, someone was searching for a technical reason why the controls feel different and what he found was a normal amout of controller lag. The only thing is he didn't know that it was normal and so he made a youtube video out of it. And all the people who don't like the controls believe him. Just read the official board. They even believe that the lag is different depending on your PS3 console. I think the guy who startet this lag shit is a GAFfer...
Oh brother...

Can someone go to his house and shove COD:WaW down his throat please?

Dirtbag

Thrakier said:

I think the reason its so obvious in killzone is the lack of precision aiming (combined with any nearby explosion sending the gun reeling in another direction forcing you to aim adjust all over again, it can be controller-throwing frustrating).

WTFing

Banned
andycapps said:
Agreed, and I'm not that good at all. I just know that I need to get a lot better, but I don't think it's any fault of the game. I appreciate that it has a pretty high learning curve. For every game like this, there are literally 10-15 shooters out there that have what these people are asking for.
I'm not good at all too!
Some GAF members (and others) are really doing well, and I'm sure they don't have six or seven fingers on each hand. LEAVE MY KILLZONE2 ALOOOONE bitches!
Please GG don't change anything, maybe some GUI things, that's all. Thanks.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
subtlesaysigh said:
No offense to you personally, but every time I see comments like this, all I can hear in my head is:

"I'm...awesome. I KNOW I'm awesome. This game must be BRR-ROKEN not to realize just how AWESOME I really am!"

I guess I could see how you can take it that way, but thats not whats happening here. I'm fine getting owned because of a lack of skill. I don't expect to walk into any FPS and start pwning, but when its the controls that are causing me to get owned? No thanks. I'll start to look elsewhere.

andycapps

Blu_LED said:
Oh brother...

Can someone go to his house and shove COD:WaW down his throat please?

You being serious? COD: WaW is horrible. Couldn't even make it through that frustrating campaign with grenades flying everywhere and endless monster closets.

Dirtbag

DKo5 said:
I guess I could see how you can take it that way, but thats not whats happening here. I'm fine getting owned because of a lack of skill. I don't expect to walk into any FPS and start pwning, but when its the controls that are causing me to get owned? No thanks. I'll start to look elsewhere.

Don't feel bad, I was taking it to most of these scrubs online regardless of fighting the controls half the time. I beat them at their own 'perfect' game, and still want to see it tweaked.

DKo5 said:

Then what about all the people that are beasts with the current control setup? Is that just because everyone else is having trouble with them?

NIN90

Blu_LED said:

Did you ever play an online game with 167ms ping? (I think that's comparable?)

EazyB

Banned
Bugnology said:
I'm not good at all too!
Some GAF members (and others) are really doing well, and I'm sure they don't have six or seven fingers on each hand. LEAVE MY KILLZONE2 ALOOOONE bitches!
Please GG don't change anything, maybe some GUI things, that's all. Thanks.
GUI is perfect. Game is perfect. I'll throw a hissy fit if a single patch comes out for this game.

Why are people getting upset with even a hint of changing controls a bit? It's not's like GG will replace what is there right now. It is safe to assume that changes would be optional.

EazyB

Banned
Bugnology said:
Please, keep playing your game with pink enemies and pink weapons. Thanks.
I've had no intention of setting Halo down. But that doesn't mean I can't jump into GAF KZ2 games and put you in your place.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
dhelfric said:
Did you ever play an online game with 167ms ping? (I think that's comparable?)

It's not, because the netcode in this game is pretty much if you see a hit, it's a hit, it'll just land after. You don't have to compensate for lag by aiming ahead of a running player, but you do have to compensate for not knowing that your shots/kill landed until a few moments after the last blow.

Tom Penny

DKo5 said:

Pretty much, but if you have a problem with the controls your lying or you suck. That seems to be the consensus defense statements used for them. In some strange fantasy land they cannot possibly be improved.

Jim

Xater said:
ARGH!

That grenade kill and M4 headshot trophies are driving me crazy!

M4 was super easy. I did it at the beginning of
Suljeva Village, when the 3 Helghast bust into the little room. Equip it and pop the first, wait for the other 2 to peak through and pop x2.

Grenade is easy also, at the beginning of
The Cruiser, when 6 burst through a door at once
. Just cook the grenade for a second and chuck it.

Dirtbag

SnakeXs said:
It's not, because the netcode in this game is pretty much if you see a hit, it's a hit, it'll just land after. You don't have to compensate for lag by aiming ahead of a running player, but you do have to compensate for not knowing that your shots/kill landed until a few moments after the last blow.

client-side hit detection, right guys?

very true also.

andycapps

Rapping Granny said:
JOIN GAF SNOW DAY SERVER IS UP!

Join, only good maps, no Visari Hammer.

join now!

How do people search to find this? I'm never able to find GAF matches short of seeing one of my GAF friends in there and joining it that way.

Q-bert

Banned
CalamityDaunt said:
Then what about all the people that are beasts with the current control setup? Is that just because everyone else is having trouble with them?

No, I think it's because they are less awesome than he is, so the massive hurdle to be overcome is much easier for them than it is for someone of his greatness.

You could almost say "cant teach an old dog new tricks", but should probably avoid calling names on a friendly forum like this.

Top Bottom