• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Dirtbag said:
Don't feel bad, I was taking it to most of these scrubs online regardless of fighting the controls half the time. I beat them at their own 'perfect' game, and still want to see it tweaked.

"I'm...awesome. I KNOW I'm awesome..." So on and so forth....:lol

andycapps said:
How do people search to find this? I'm never able to find GAF matches short of seeing one of my GAF friends in there and joining it that way.

Have someone in your list that just joined it. or check your clan members.

dfyb

Banned
i think the biggest problem for me with the controls is the excessively large dead zone. dead zones are supposed to account for the joystick not always centering exactly at center -- to prevent drifting when the joystick is idle. for whatever reason, KZ2 has a very large deadzone -- to get even the most subtle movements, you have to move the joystick a considerable amount.

this effectively reduces the analog range of the joystick -- instead of having the entire range, you only have the upper half or so.

what possible advantage does that bring? what is the advantage of requiring players to do significant joystick movement when they want to make subtle aiming adjustments? what is the advantage of subtle joystick movements not being functional?

last time i played in a GAF room with ~20 people, i was at the very top, so spare the "just learn the game" stuff. it's a AAA game, but the large deadzone is unecessary. i don't think the deadzone of the right analog stick plays into the weight of the game as much as some people think.

Mik2121

andycapps said:
How do people search to find this? I'm never able to find GAF matches short of seeing one of my GAF friends in there and joining it that way.
Same here. I just went through my CLAN members list and Friends list and nobody is still in that game :(

Beardz

Hi, Im Beardz and I'm addicted to Killzone, yesterday I was dreaming about the game -literally- before going to sleep I was "just one more, just one more" then I watched the clock I thought "oh shi" but I couldn't stop!! I wanted my exp points! so I keept playing until the round was over... -at 4am- ugh =/

Xater

Jim said:
M4 was super easy. I did it at the beginning of
Suljeva Village, when the 3 Helghast bust into the little room. Equip it and pop the first, wait for the other 2 to peak through and pop x2.

Grenade is easy also, at the beginning of
The Cruiser, when 6 burst through a door at once
. Just cook the grenade for a second and chuck it.

Just got the idea for the headshot one myself and finally got it. No I'll try your tip for the grenade trophy.

Dante

Big-E said:
Am I the only one who likes Visari Hammer? I think it is infinitely better than that fucking bridge level.

Visually it's jaw dropping, I still haven't quite made up my mind on it yet though, I think I've only played 2 matches on there.

andycapps

Rapping Granny said:
Have someone in your list that just joined it. or check your clan members.

Full Recovery hasn't invited me to GAF East yet even though I'm on the list. Sent him a PM this morning. Hopefully I'll be on with you guys tonight. Bad thing is that I can't access GAF at home so I have no idea what's going on once I leave work. Laptop is still down.

-viper-

Banned
If Guerilla change the controls (i.e. the weight and movement) there will be chaos. :[

BTW HOW THE HELL DO I KILL
RADEC
?

dfyb

Banned
Big-E said:
Am I the only one who likes Visari Hammer? I think it is infinitely better than that fucking bridge level.
i like all the maps, and i can see why people wouldn't like the bridge level, i don't see what's wrong with visari's hammer...

i think all the maps are brilliant though -- this game's level design is literally up there with the best of the best.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Q-bert said:
No, I think it's because they are less awesome than he is, so the massive hurdle to be overcome is much easier for them than it is for someone of his greatness.

You could almost say "cant teach an old dog new tricks", but should probably avoid calling names on a friendly forum like this.

I think its funny you guys assume I don't like the controls because I suck :lol :lol

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
-viper- said:
BTW HOW THE HELL DO I KILL
RADEC
?
protip.jpg

I just beat the game what a fu@#$ing trip that was.
I dont think a last level has been that hard since goldeneye. Brutal but so damn satisfying.

I actually thought the end was fantastic and I dont know about a lot of people but I really
like Sev. I think he is a great character and when he
sits down on the steps with all
the helghast cruisers streaming overhead just kind of resigned to how shitty everything has
become.
Perfect way to end the game makes me so amped for the next one.

One other thing
does anyone get the feeling they are setting up Rico to either die in
glorious fashion or to eventually become the bad guy somehow? I hate him so damn much
and I cant help but get the feeling that they are setting him up for something.

Anyway I know people will laugh but I haven't enjoyed a campaign that much since HL2.
Great stuff.

M3Freak

Banned
Big-E said:

I'm at the bridge level now (well, yesterday). I haven't played it yet, though. I have to say, so far, I haven't encountered any difficult sections, and I'm playing on "veteran".

Big-E

M3Freak said:
I'm at the bridge level now (well, yesterday). I haven't played it yet, though. I have to say, so far, I haven't encountered any difficult sections, and I'm playing on "veteran".

Not talking about the single player buddy. The bridge level in the sp is awesome and is one of the better levels. In mp its a different bridge though.

-viper- said:
How do I kill
Radec
?
Once he's alone, circle around that center pillar looking for his position, DONT STOP MOVING. He will appear and you should be able to move away while shooting him. that's about it. It still took some luck on veteran but after 2-3 tries I got it. The only way you die is if he gets behind you so ekkp moving and looking

Q-bert

Banned
DKo5 said:
I think its funny you guys assume I don't like the controls because I suck :lol :lol

Hey, we didn't say you sucked. You did.

DKo5 said:
I guess I could see how you can take it that way, but thats not whats happening here. I'm fine getting owned because of a lack of skill. I don't expect to walk into any FPS and start pwning, but when its the controls that are causing me to get owned? No thanks. I'll start to look elsewhere.

And, you dont have to suck in order to hate the controls. You can be as awesome as you are, and still hate the controls. But blaming the controls for less than awesome outcomes, when everybody else with the game has the same controls, ..... yeah that means you suck. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Dragnet

There is no fucking deadzone, it's just that the further you move the stick out the quicker you move, and so when making small adjusments it moves VERY slowly when compared to holding the stick firmly in that direction. Try it, move the stick slowly out from the middle.

Calling again for a euroGAF clan invite too please...I've been on the list for aaaaaaages! :D

belvedere said:
Wish there was a snow day here in STL, craving some KZ2.

Also, the lag myth needs to die.
controller lag or online lag?
I have SEEN online lag, sorry but it happens. It's only been in a few games but if the person hosting has a bad connection it's there. Honestly every time I've joined a game by a gaffer, people were warping all over the place. Most games are ok, but will get a bad one now and again.

ghibli99

I'm barely scratching the surface on this, but I had to comment on how blown away I was with the opening movie and then the first drop sequence. When the game started, I had to do a double-take when I realized I was controlling it and not watching an FMV. Visually, I'm pretty damn impressed just from the first few minutes.

WTFing

Banned
BobTheFork said:
I have SEEN online lag, sorry but it happens. It's only been in a few games but if the person hosting has a bad connection it's there. Honestly every time I've joined a game by a gaffer, people were warping all over the place. Most games are ok, but will get a bad one now and again.
Noboby is hosting man. The servers are dedicated.

Thrakier

Blu_LED said:
Oh brother...

Can someone go to his house and shove COD:WaW down his throat please?

MY throat!? Why? I have no problems with KZ2 Demo or any sort of lag. I just commented on the people going crazy in the official boards because of that. And I would love to see GG making a comment to clarify this situation.

This is one of those videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yFa_EZORYo

And here is the article stating that this kind of lag is in every game:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3725/measuring_responsiveness_in_video_.php?page=3

BruceLeeRoy said:
I just beat the game what a fu@#$ing trip that was.
I dont think a last level has been that hard since goldeneye. Brutal but so damn satisfying.

I actually thought the end was fantastic and I dont know about a lot of people but I really
like Sev. I think he is a great character and when he
sits down on the steps with all
the helghast cruisers streaming overhead just kind of resigned to how shitty everything has
become.
Perfect way to end the game makes me so amped for the next one.

One other thing
does anyone get the feeling they are setting up Rico to either die in
glorious fashion or to eventually become the bad guy somehow? I hate him so damn much
and I cant help but get the feeling that they are setting him up for something.

Anyway I know people will laugh but I haven't enjoyed a campaign that much since HL2.
Great stuff.

Agree 100%, man.
While I dont hate Rico, I DO think he's gonna have a LOT to answer for...and it won't be pretty. I can also see Sev getting dragged into it, whatever it is.

Doc Evils

Dragnet said:
There is no fucking deadzone, it's just that the further you move the stick out the quicker you move, and so when making small adjusments it moves VERY slowly when compared to holding the stick firmly in that direction. Try it, move the stick slowly out from the middle.

Calling again for a euroGAF clan invite too please...I've been on the list for aaaaaaages! :D

Actually I've come to realize GG didn't work on the dead zones of the controller. Today I was playing around and noticed that if moved the stick in the dead zone I wasn't moving but when I moved it into the acceleration zone it picked it up. I think it's partially the controllers inherited flaw and GG didn't really compensate for it. I imagine the game would play really nicely with keyboard and mouse.

thaOwner

pelicansurf said:
Damn, I keep getting disconnected. I was playing perfectly last night, what could've happened? Fuck.
They posted a while back that, they are fixing some bugs and servers so hang tight for a while i guess.

EazyB

Banned
Dragnet said:
I don't think I've had any issues with the deadzone using both the DS3 and the 360 through an adapter. My problem everything you've said seems to be the opposite. There isn't enough reticule acceleration. If I turn the sensitivity down I have no problem making those slight adjustments to headshot people at a distance but at those low settings, even if I hold the stick completely to one side it takes forever to turn around. If I bump up the sensitivity I'm able to turn around fast enough but even with only slight flicks on the stick it jumps around too much to consistently get headshots at long range.

Bugnology said:
Noboby is hosting man. The servers are dedicated.
ok, then there is lag straight up.
The only time I've seen it is in the GAF games so I assumed someone was hosting and had a crap connection. That sucks.

Arnie

Big-E said:
I hate them both. Helghan Industries, Salamun Market, Radec Academy and Blood Gracht FTW.

Thrakier

Doc Evils said:
Actually I've come to realize GG didn't work on the dead zones of the controller. Today I was playing around and noticed that if moved the stick in the dead zone I wasn't moving but when I moved it into the acceleration zone it picked it up. I think it's partially the controllers inherited flaw and GG didn't really compensate for it. I imagine the game would play really nicely with keyboard and mouse.

The deadzone on the DSIII is almost non existant and less than on the 360 controller. Google for a Ted Price interview, he's saying that comparing it to the DSII.

belvedere

Junior Butler
BobTheFork said:

Controller, my bad. Hopefully everyone understands that there's a lag risk with any online gaming experience.

:lol

I've only experienced online lag in one or two 32 player matches.

Holy fuck those are epic btw.

mr_square

BobTheFork said:
Once he's alone, circle around that center pillar looking for his position, DONT STOP MOVING. He will appear and you should be able to move away while shooting him. that's about it. It still took some luck on veteran but after 2-3 tries I got it. The only way you die is if he gets behind you so ekkp moving and looking

Surround sound helps sooooooooo much with this. You can pick out exactly where he is as soon as he spawns.

Jim

mr_square said:
Surround sound helps sooooooooo much with this. You can pick out exactly where he is as soon as he spawns.

I have to say, accurate surround sound in games these days is waaayy better than some on screen indicator. That's exactly what I used during parts like that.

Top Bottom