• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Mik2121

GodofWine said:
In MP, can you guys here footsteps of people (THE ENEMY!!) walking up behind you? I rarely do...Im thinking my sound setup needs a tweak if I should be hearing this.
There's so much going on on every game I play, I doubt I would notice the enemy footsteps :lol but I barely get surprised. Always turn around guessing there's an enemy on the other side and with my finger ready to press the trigger :p Helps tons when there's really an enemy there, because by the time they notice me, they are already dead ;D (not always though :'(...)

But recently (as in, yesterday and today) I've been making my own tactics for each stage and they work pretty well ^^ too bad I can't communicate with my teammates to tell them what I'd like them to do :(

Q-bert said:
Buy a microphone, clip it to your shirt or headphone muff, and set the PS3 to output headset audio via "system default device".

Problem solved, and nobody has to learn how to read in order to communicate with you.

This is exactly what I do.
On a side note when I dont have to be quiet playing the game the eye toys mic works incredibly well for
how far away it is from me.

Remf said:
Yeah I hear the footsteps. (6.1 surround)

Oh, btw......... CHIRP, CHIRP, CHIRP, CHIRP. That's all I hear in my head when I sleep at night and during the day. SSOO freaking addicted to this game and I LOVE THE CONTROLS TOO!

Its funny Ill come on here and see all these complaints about the controls and assume a ton of people
are having a hard time with it. Then Ill go online and everyone is just pretty much collectively gushing
constantly about how awesome the game is.

Rikyfree

This is for Kittonwy-

125os9h.jpg

Also, I love this game so much, but I feel like it's missing something.....

2zzqckn.jpg

Schrade said:
So for those interested, here are IGN's 3 Killzone 2 developer blog videos. I haven't seen anyone post about the third one but they are all fucking awesome background info.

Killzone 2 PlayStation 3 Behind the Scenes - Killzone 2 Blog: E3 2005 Trailer

Killzone 2 PlayStation 3 Behind the Scenes - Killzone 2 Blog: Multiplayer 2006 Prototype Trailer

Killzone 2 PlayStation 3 Behind the Scenes - Killzone 2 Blog: E3 2007 In-Game Trailer

Here's some example of what's in the third one. They're analyzing the E3 2007 trailer:
igcll0.jpg

These are must see's for anyone that has beaten the game. Awesome stuff.

Future

So...think I'm near the end of the game.
At Visari palace. Do dudes just spawn forever Call of Duty style.
. Feeling like I can make any ground no matter how many dudes I kill. Starting to regret Veteran :p

andycapps

The Wise Old Man said:
BTW, anyone who's not playing this game with RealTriggers is doing themselves a big disservice. I ordered a pair through Amazon, and snapped em on my PS3 controller this Saturday and the difference it made for the controls in Killzone 2 was MASSIVE. Holding the controller is much easier and shooting is a breeze.

Got those two. Was pretty awkward for about half an hour but after getting used to them, it's hard to think about playing anything without them. Completely changes the feel of the six axis.

GodofWine said:
In MP, can you guys here footsteps of people (THE ENEMY!!) walking up behind you? I rarely do...Im thinking my sound setup needs a tweak if I should be hearing this.

how are you guys even able to have surround sound during mp??? when i did people could hear the sounds in my mic and it was annoying everyone so when i play mp i leave it up just enough to hear things, but in on way am i getting my surround sound experience. Its the official sony mic too?

BeeDog

Future said:
So...think I'm near the end of the game.
At Visari palace. Do dudes just spawn forever Call of Duty style.
. Feeling like I can make any ground no matter how many dudes I kill. Starting to regret Veteran :p

You do know you can restart that section on another difficulty through Mission Select? I had to do it, almost threw my controller into the TV.

Nafai1123

Banned
GodofWine said:

Yea, I'm using some 5.1 headphones and it works wonders for getting the jump on people. Even though the mp offers custom soundtracks I find myself playing without music because the sound is very important and sooo good.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
bdizzle said:
Take with a grain of salt, but so far SP is meh. 6.5/10 for me. Graphics aren't wowing me like MGS4 and Uncharted did.
I think you should go back and play those two after a few hours put into SP of KZ2. It was kind of an eye opener to me just how much different KZ2 does certain things than Uncharted. Particle and post proc. effects are an order of magnitude more impressive (even though the textures and some other things are a bit worse)

What matters the most is that they pretty much have the perfect engine and artwork for the kind of thing they wanted to show. When there's chaos on the battlefield, it's complete and utter *Chaos* like nothing I've ever seen in a game before. All the particles flying and effects kicking in, it's just crazy. I said it before, after the intensity and the chaos you see in it, Uncharted will look so tame and innocent, almost clinical despite all its incredible detail everywhere. Which I'm perfectly fine as that's the sort of look they were going for, and its theme wouldn't call for anything grittier (and they are building on it significantly in the sequel anyways) - it's just that there's such an incredible contrast in how the two games look and feel, even though you essentially shoot at bad guys in both.

GodofWine

Nafai1123 said:
Yea, I'm using some 5.1 headphones and it works wonders for getting the jump on people. Even though the mp offers custom soundtracks I find myself playing without music because the sound is very important and sooo good.

Ah, headphones could be the fix...

TrAcEr_x90 said:
how are you guys even able to have surround sound during mp??? when i did people could hear the sounds in my mic and it was annoying everyone so when i play mp i leave it up just enough to hear things

See, same here...I might just have it down too low and the footsteps get lost...but If I turn it up my speakers bring the bass and my wife wakes up two stories above me :lol

DangerStepp

BeeDog said:
You do know you can restart that section on another difficulty through Mission Select? I had to do it, almost threw my controller into the TV.

Dude, my controller flew across the room yesterday after my 19th attempt at
using the RPG to take out the tank on the moving train while the Helghast are rushing you in crowds

It has a big white mark and the two pieces of plastic separated a little. Oh well, it shouldn't have made a fool out of me.

Remf

BruceLeeRoy said:
This is exactly what I do.
On a side note when I dont have to be quiet playing the game the eye toys mic works incredibly well for
how far away it is from me.

Its funny Ill come on here and see all these complaints about the controls and assume a ton of people
are having a hard time with it. Then Ill go online and everyone is just pretty much collectively gushing
constantly about how awesome the game is.

Bruce, I honestly think its hard for some people to adapt to different control styles, because they (some) don't have the patience to learn something new. My first system was an Atari 400 and I purchased every system after that so I'm used to adapting to new things, and btw COD4 is not the end all be all control style and I don't know why people think it is. Yes, it did take a minute to get the "feel" for the controls, but once it clicked I am doing head shots left and right. Game on.

Xater

Ok this game is well thought out.

A message just popped up that my GAF clan joined a tournament. That's totally awesome.

Now I have to figure out which time zone 12 AM is meant. :lol

Teknoman

I saw just mute your headset (if you've got official Sony) when you dont think you'll have anything to say.

Its kinda strange to hear gunfire through someone's headset though...then again, if its clear, it adds to the experience :lol

GodofWine said:
Ah, headphones could be the fix...

See, same here...I might just have it down too low and the footsteps get lost...but If I turn it up my speakers bring the bass and my wife wakes up two stories above me :lol

well its not so much im worried of waking my girlfriend, she cant hear it in the other room but its just the sounds go through my mic and everyone playing is constantly hearing my speakers. i guess only solution would be to get a headphone mic setup.

Future

BeeDog said:

Heh, no never realized that. I might have to do that cuz all I'm seeing is endless spawning. Geez, why did they have to do this. Any strategy I'm missing or do you just have to run in there and pray you dont die

Rikyfree

Remf said:
Yeah I hear the footsteps. (6.1 surround)

Oh, btw......... CHIRP, CHIRP, CHIRP, CHIRP. That's all I hear in my head when I sleep at night and during the day. SSOO freaking addicted to this game and I LOVE THE CONTROLS TOO!
I LOVE the chirp. Note to people just starting out: given time, you will become addicted to the chirp. It was so bad today that in econ, that when I was taking a quiz, after every problem I heard the chirp in my head. IT WILL RULE YOUR LIFE!

@Future: You just gotta survive man. Thats all there is to it, kill or be killed, and in time, things will trigger.

Remf

Rikyfree said:
I LOVE the chirp. Note to people just starting out: given time, you will become addicted to the chirp. It was so bad today that in econ, that when I was taking a quiz, after every problem I heard the chirp in my head. IT WILL RULE YOUR LIFE!

@Future: You just gotta survive man. Thats all there is to it, kill or be killed, and in time, things will trigger.

Chirp, Chirp is crack :lol

BeeDog

Future said:
Heh, no never realized that. I might have to do that cuz all I'm seeing is endless spawning. Geez, why did they have to do this. Any strategy I'm missing or do you just have to run in there and pray you dont die

I don't believe it's endless respawns, it's just a lot, A LOT of enemy waves. Keep at it, and definitely drop the difficulty. Oh, and use the cover, it's a must. :p

Remf said:
Bruce, I honestly think its hard for some people to adapt to different control styles, because they (some) don't have the patience to learn something new. My first system was an Atari 400 and I purchased every system after that so I'm used to adapting to new things, and btw COD4 is not the end all be all control style and I don't know why people think it is. Yes, it did take a minute to get the "feel" for the controls, but once it clicked I am doing head shots left and right. Game on.

Yeah your definitely right. My cousin was a COD4 nut and at first he was getting super upset over how
often his ass was getting handed to him but after a whole weekend of non stop play he is better than me.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
GodofWine said:

Yes. My tv has the fake surround sound and I can hear it.

Raist

Banned
Xater said:
Ok this game is well thought out.

A message just popped up that my GAF clan joined a tournament. That's totally awesome.

Now I have to figure out which time zone 12 AM is meant. :lol

I think TTP mentionned a while ago that it ajusts to your timezone. Hence why it asks you to set it the first time you run the game.

So GAFe is part of a tourney now? Which one ? D:

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
*mirrored from the the online thread*

***TO ALL GAF CLANS LEADERS!***

I have created the first GAF Time To Die Tournament. Since there is no way to make it "private", I ask all GAF clan leaders to subscribe to the Tournament as soon as possible! I've set up 8 slots, so even if some other clan joins, there should be room for all GAF clans. But be quick! The is no entree fee but 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed earn 10, 5 and 1 vp respectively. .

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE

Fire up the game, select Warzone, go into CLAN > Tournament and select "GAF Time to Die" from the list.

DETAILS
All details are in the tournament overview page you can check out in game, but I'll post some here.

Map: Pyrhuss Rise
Game modes: all (full Warzone)
Badges & weapons: all

# of clans: 8
# of players: 20 (10 vs 10) -- we will see how it goes and up the players count next time.

Period:
-- this week end (Quarters on Friday 6, Semi-Finals on Saturday 7 and Final on Sunday 8).
-- Every match starts at 11:00PM GMT time (check in game details for your time zone)

Esch

Banned
Finished SP, here are my impressions.

Well, that was quite the ride.

The game is definitely very enjoyable, and it's one of those shooters that I know i'll end up liking/playing for a long time. I know it's been said time and time again, but the visual prowess of this game is downright incredible. I can't believe that a game looks this good on a console with the PS3's power. The best parts of the visuals aren't the obvious like textures or the quality of the lighting, it's the more subtle stuff. The number of dynamic lights is pretty damn incredible. It's a real sight to behold in some areas, with every muzzle flash casting a light and accurate shadows. The post-processing filters are great, especially the motion blur. It adeptly masks a great deal of the framerate drops that occur from time to time. The lens flare and color filter are pretty damn incredible as well. The best part though is definitely the animation. Responses to bullets and death animations are downright the best i have ever seen in a game. Period. The way the motion-caps react with the environment perfectly is quite the feat, and I applaud GG. The effects are all pretty good, I really like the fire and explosions.

From a gameplay standpoint it's a very polished title. One would mistake K2 for a COD4 clone at first glance but that isn't correct. Playing this game like COD4 doesn't work at all. The gunplay centers around proper use of cover and intelligent choice of movement, with a heavy emphasis on hip-shooting and THEN ironsighting for precision shots. Firing every gun in this game is a treat. All of them are pretty damn satisfying to fire and that only adds to the visceral nature of the game. The grenades are perfect for the gameplay, with the game giving you the right amount at the right times. I would have liked more than two types(a smoke or stun would have been absolutely awesome, but i can deal). I like the main/sidearm weapon layout. It's nice because not only does it make pistols relevant, it means that you have to work intelligently with each weapon in terms of range, accuracy, power, and area of effect. Very polished in this regard. The controls are a pretty big point of contention, and personally after playing with them for a while, I love them. They're perfectly suited to give you a balance of immersion and accuracy. It lends the game a unique flavor despite having a very common set of control options. The level of immersion is absolutely ridiculous. The way tech and play come together is fantastic, especially when you notice things like wind altering grenade and explosion direction. This game has incredibly good AI especially on higher difficulties. They stay in cover well, blindfire, flank, switch cover when cover is destroyed, rush when appropriate, and rarely make stupid mistakes. I honestly haven't played a game with such good AI since the original FEAR, although Crysis and FEAR 2 come close. The level design is admittedly really awesome, giving plenty in the way of variety. The vehicle sections and special weapons sections are all really polished and well thought out, and surprisingly fun.
I didn't like the AA gun part on the New Sun much, but the rest were incredibly high quality. Boss battles and most set pieces were great and surprisingly challenging. I liked the ATAC especially.
The enemy design, while not incredibly varied was good. Helghast soldiers of different types have surprisingly different AI routines and attack patterns, and the mechanical enemies were interesting. The actual architecture of each level is very nice, having multiple levels and crannies. Complex. All in all, i really loved the gameplay.

Production values: The audio is incredible. Everything sounds pretty much perfect. The music is definitely well composed and memorable. The dialogue/storyline suck though, which is disappointing because the backstory is pretty great. There were some decent plot twists, but overall it was just average at best. The single player is short but i think it lends itself to replayability because of how dynamic everything is, plus the AI gets better on higher difficulties as well, so there’s some challenge. Intel and helghast symbols and such provide a little bit more value there as well. I wish it was longer and I wouldn’t have minded some co-op, but I understand why both aren’t in there. In Killzone 3, I want a longer campaign, better story in every regard, and two player co-op. I really enjoyed it despite the minor gripes though. I hear multi is even better than the single player, so I can’t wait to sink my teeth into that this summer. I expected the game to be serviceable or good, but it ended up being great. Congrats to GG and Sony for finally getting a definitive FPS game. I encourage PS3 owners to buy it, especially if they like FPS. This is probably my favorite game on the console, and I haven’t even started with the other half of it. That’s it.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
I've been playing KZ2 for 4 hours straight and there's no sign in me letting up anytime soon. Once you get going in multiplayer, learning the levels and unlocking weapons and other abilities, it really does become better than anything else. The draw distance in the multiplayer is the most amazing aspect IMO.

http://tinyurl.com/djw9z7
http://tinyurl.com/cef2bc

Guenther said:
Absolutely! I was in the top 30 during the first beta phase and now I´m doing pretty bad... :( Don´t know what they´ve changed and why.

Some of this HAS to do with a larger pool of players though. There's got to be more FPS talent running around now then during the beta.

On a side note, I didn't play the beta but have changed the sensitivity up a couple of notches. Each time I got used to a speed setting in the SP, I upped it another notch. I'm pretty happy where I'm at now.

lunlunqq

fucking snow... because of it, i'm off work today. more kz2 is good. but i have to clean the driveway... i just want to play... :(

AnnSwag said:
I've been playing KZ2 for 4 hours straight and there's no sign in me letting up anytime soon. Once you get going in multiplayer, learning the levels and unlocking weapons and other abilities, it really does become better than anything else. The draw distance in the multiplayer is the most amazing aspect IMO.

http://tinyurl.com/djw9z7
http://tinyurl.com/cef2bc

I put nearly 30 hours into it over the weekend. Stuff is like crack.

BlacKMaRK

Banned
whoever made the GAFZONE server...

why in the hell did you make the game modes last so long. 25 mins for capture and hold??? that was ridiculous.

i was in the 50+mins and the match wasnt even over, next time please change that shit

GodofWine

TTP said:
*mirrored from the the online thread*

***TO ALL GAF CLANS LEADERS!***

Will get GAF2 in shortly..boss just told me to go home before the roads freeze (WOOT)

I think I'll leave the game to my soldiers since I still cannot shoot straight :lol

I just got to
Suljeva(sp?) Village level
. How much more is there to go? I am loving this game. Plan on getting online for the first time tonight, want to finish up a single player run through first. But I already want to start another play through on a harder setting, I am going through on default difficulty and it's pretty easy.

Also I don't get the control issues. I was fine with them about 5 mins. into the game. I have the sensitivity 3 notches from the top, I can get headshots easily.

Top Bottom