• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Nafai1123

Banned
All things considered, I'd say that the game's had a pretty successful online launch. Sure there are bugs, there always are with online games, but it seems like GG knows what they are and are quickly trying to sort out the problems. Personally, I've had one disconnect, minimal lag and pretty much no glitches. Other high caliber games (that will not be named) have had significantly worse launches. People just need to put it in perspective. KZ2 has been out a week and people have been able to play enough successful online to already achieve max rank. That enough should tell you the stability of the game...

Killzone.com on the other hand... :lol

bigswords

TTP said:
It's a frigging slideshow man. Solid 30fps my ass.

Was it a full 16 Vs 16 match with nades blowing up and stuff all at the same time?

I havent seen the game chugged till it became a slideshow, but I can't see shit as there's so much smoke from rockets, spawn nades and xplosions everywhere.

Could it be network connection on your end perhaps? I think for some medium size maps they should drop the population to 20-24 ish....

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
McLovin said:
Wah? I was just about to comment on how the frame-rate never drops no matter how chaotic it gets.. You sure it wasn't lag? I mean I've been in some insane games with nothing but rocket launchers and grenades going off left and right without the frame-rate dropping.
I've seen it happen in some of the smaller maps with 32 people and 2 mobile spawn points in the same room (the Helghast defend point in Corinth Crossing Search & Destroy comes to mind).

TTP said:
You are going for the no deaths trophies? It's not possible to turn autosave off. If you die, you have to reload the section from the mission selection screen.

Not sure if simply restarting it from the last checkpoint works as well. I always reloaded the level just to be sure.

Yep, thanks

pelicansurf said:
Fuck this game and fuck disconnects. It seems everyone else is fine but the few people who do get this problem get fucked over to no end. I was playing PERFECTLY last night and now I'm fucking doomed to play 1-2 matches if I'm lucky before getting booted off. I really fucking hate this game and I just want to smash the cd into pieces. God damn fix the fucking final product before you release it to the masses. I finally get into games with my friends, I'm the squad leader and halfway through the game just boots me and I'm still on PSN. I'm so pissed. I really want to play this, really want to get all the different badges, but this bullshit is unforgivable. Christ I hate this game's online, fuck Comcast, fuck all this shit. Argh.

That really sucks, they had problems like this in the Beta, seems like it wasn't all fixed....

eshwaaz

Awntawn said:
After going through the majority of the campaign on veteran, I had to do drop down to easy to complete the last encounter, and I'm not even ashamed. Even normal kicked my ass there, easy on that fight felt just like veteran for the rest of the game >.>

I hear ya. The game is really fun until the final level, at which point any kind of thoughtful, balanced design gets thrown out the window. I absolutely hate that approach to creating "challenge"; it feels cheap and lazy. I eventually beat it, but it wasn't fun, and it wasn't satisfying - an unfortunate end to an otherwise enjoyable experience.

bigswords

I think the biggest complaint, other then party mode or ability to invite friends to your server is that you will lose all points/ ribbons and stuff if you leave in the middle of the game, games are 20 minute long (by default), there's a high chance that some peeps won't have a stable network. GG should allow them to get gain the points and ribbons. If possible if they have achieved the requirements for a ribbon it should be shown.

btkadams

im really struggling with the sixaxis parts. im doing exactly what it says to do and when i rotate the controller it does absolutely nothing.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
McLovin said:
Wah? I was just about to comment on how the frame-rate never drops no matter how chaotic it gets.. You sure it wasn't lag? I mean I've been in some insane games with nothing but rocket launchers and grenades going off left and right without the frame-rate dropping.

I love this game, the graphics are incredible and such and so forth. However, if you cant see those framerate drops when things get crazy you are either suffering some form of unique vision problem or in denial.

J-Rzez

I said it before, and I'll say it again because it's really pissing me off now. The lack of a party system with a quick match feature is flat out disgusting. If you can set up clan matches, why can't you have a party system? Fucking A GG, get this shit fixed and patched in ASAP, before it kills off some of the luster. I'm serious, this game is infuriating me that it's a trial to be able to play with 1 or more of your friends. And starting a room waiting for it to fill is bullshit because most times people will look over small rooms.

It's such a simple feature, even a launch shooter had it built in and it worked beautifully. GG you can learn from Insomniac a trick or two. If Zipper doesn't put in one in MAG, I'll be extremely disappointed.

_tetsuo_ said:
I love this game, the graphics are incredible and such and so forth. However, if you cant see those framerate drops when things get crazy you are either suffering some form of unique vision problem or in denial.

Or perhaps its not a universal issue?

Zeliard

pelicansurf said:
Fuck this game and fuck disconnects. It seems everyone else is fine but the few people who do get this problem get fucked over to no end. I was playing PERFECTLY last night and now I'm fucking doomed to play 1-2 matches if I'm lucky before getting booted off. I really fucking hate this game and I just want to smash the cd into pieces. God damn fix the fucking final product before you release it to the masses. I finally get into games with my friends, I'm the squad leader and halfway through the game just boots me and I'm still on PSN. I'm so pissed. I really want to play this, really want to get all the different badges, but this bullshit is unforgivable. Christ I hate this game's online, fuck Comcast, fuck all this shit. Argh.

Same thing was happening to me since release up till yesterday. It was frustrating losing ranking progress. Haven't played much multiplayer since then, but I enabled UPnP through my router settings and didn't get disconnected when I did play. Also, logging in and refreshing/joining servers felt a bit more responsive overall afterwards. If your router supports UPnP, you might wanna try enabling it and see if that helps.

Comcast here, too. :p This doesn't happen with any other system or PS3 game, though.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
btkadams said:
im really struggling with the sixaxis parts. im doing exactly what it says to do and when i rotate the controller it does absolutely nothing.
Maybe the gyro in your controller is dead? Have you had any problems on any other game?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
btkadams said:

You are not using a third party controller right?

oneHeero

J-Rzez said:
I said it before, and I'll say it again because it's really pissing me off now. The lack of a party system with a quick match feature is flat out disgusting. If you can set up clan matches, why can't you have a party system? Fucking A GG, get this shit fixed and patched in ASAP, before it kills off some of the luster. I'm serious, this game is infuriating me that it's a trial to be able to play with 1 or more of your friends. And starting a room waiting for it to fill is bullshit because most times people will look over small rooms.

It's such a simple feature, even a launch shooter had it built in and it worked beautifully. GG you can learn from Insomniac a trick or two. If Zipper doesn't put in one in MAG, I'll be extremely disappointed.
I said this numerous times in the KZ2 Hype thread but I was overwhelmed by the beta players who swore the online is perfect. I even got banned for bitching about it to much.

Finally got in some quality game time with gaffers. Good games, all, even though I was on the losing team both times, though I did think I held my own when it was 2 on 4. :D And goddamn Saboteurs. Can't wait to unlock that class.

If any Gaf clan has openings, I wouldn't mind being invited.

EDIT: And sorry for not having a mic. I have the Jabra one that came with Warhawk, but the charging wire is lost, resulting in a perpetually dead device. I'm either gonna buy a new one or try to find a charging wire in a store somewhere.

bigswords said:
I think the biggest complaint, other then party mode or ability to invite friends to your server is that you will lose all points/ ribbons and stuff if you leave in the middle of the game, games are 20 minute long (by default), there's a high chance that some peeps won't have a stable network. GG should allow them to get gain the points and ribbons. If possible if they have achieved the requirements for a ribbon it should be shown.

You do keep your points and ribbons.

_tetsuo_ said:
So I have a slower Playstation 3 than other people? Is that what youre telling me?

:lol At this point anything is possible.

Maybe your more sensitive to frame drops and everyone else is wrong.

Either way there is no overwhelming consensus in your favor, to me and many others its running perfectly. To some its not. You aren't the gold standard.

jsrv

_tetsuo_ said:

The most chaotic map where I played was Radec Academy (I think that's what it's called? The one with the silver masks outside the stage) with 32 players. A lot of times a lot of players would cram themselves in the hallway outside the other opposing team's respawning room before getting wiped out by grenades everywhere. I didn't notice any framerate drops

Maybe this isn't chaotic enough?

The closest I can think of is during single player when the game loads in between scenes

methane47

:( the disconnecting sucks..

played my first match as an engineer.. and was going on like 7 turret kills.. plus number 1 on the team...

boom.. disconnect

tried again.. was in a map for like 45 minutes.. only a couple minutes left in the game.. boom.. disconnect..

Then was in the Beamber room just now... Was doing.. alright (found out about the team limit on turrets.... which sucks) and I had like 50 points at the time with 2 missions to go.. disconnect...

I played the game for roughly 2 hours tonite.. and accrued 0 points... I know its probably because of my crappy connection.... But GG should atleast put something in the game so that your score updates anyways at the end of the match.. because then that could stop people from leaving if its a crap game for them and they get off scot free.

Edit: WOW i had no clue about the shotty thing... I gotta spend some time online before they patch it out lol!!

Teknoman

MvmntInGrn said:
Or perhaps its not a universal issue?

I've never had any framerate drops when dashing through a crowd of grenade tosses and hail of bullets to revive an engineer, and havent had any during 32 player capture standoffs.

Zeliard said:
You don't keep anything when you get disconnected, and I'm pretty sure it's the same if you just quit.

You DO. The stats take a long time to update but you keep your points when you quit. I know because I quit by accident with around 90 points and still got them.

tass0

Banned
Last weeks sales figures for the UK

1. Killzone 2 (Sony)
2. Halo Wars (Microsoft)
3. Street Fighter IV (Capcom)
4. Wii Fit (Nintendo)
5. Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Nintendo)
6. Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection (Sega)
7. FIFA 09 (EA)
8. Call of Duty: World at War (Activision Blizzard)
9. Ben 10: Alien Force (D3P)
10. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)

Kolgar

I've been online in MP the past two nights - nary a dropped frame and certainly not a dropped connection the whole time.

The rock-solid frame rate is actually pretty frighteningly awesome now that I think about it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
tass0 said:
February sales figures for the UK

1. Killzone 2 (Sony)
2. Halo Wars (Microsoft)
4. Wii Fit (Nintendo)
7. FIFA 09 (EA)
and here we go

Zeliard

SuperSonic1305 said:
You DO. The stats take a long time to update but you keep your points when you quit. I know because I quit by accident with around 90 points and still got them.

I haven't quit from a game, but I can tell you that you don't keep anything if you get disconnected, and that's worse since it's completely out of your control.

methane47

tass0 said:
February sales figures for the UK

1. Killzone 2 (Sony)
2. Halo Wars (Microsoft)
4. Wii Fit (Nintendo)
7. FIFA 09 (EA)

sauce?

2real4tv

Jack Scofield said:
Finally got in some quality game time with gaffers. Good games, all, even though I was on the losing team both times, though I did think I held my own when it was 2 on 4. :D And goddamn Saboteurs. Can't wait to unlock that class.

EDIT: And sorry for not having a mic. I have the Jabra one that came with Warhawk, but the charging wire is lost, resulting in a perpetually dead device. I'm either gonna buy a new one or try to find a charging wire in a store somewhere.

That wire is not custom it is a standard usb cord that can be bought at various stores like Walmart(if you in the US).

methane47

Jack Scofield said:

Cable is standard mini-usb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&N=40000001&Description=mini usb&name=Cables

btkadams

guys i fixed the dead sixaxis control problem. i switched controllers, still nothing worked. (1st party controllers). but then i actually turned off the first controller and turned it back on, and it worked. pretty messed up but oh well its working now.

imperium

btkadams said:

Is your DS3 assigned to something other than port 1? When I got to the 1st valve I had the same thing happen, and my 1st thought was my controller is broken.

I eventually noticed it was assigned to port 2 so I switched to port 1 but it still didn't work. I quite the game, removed the joystick I had absentmindedly left plugged in to port 1, and the issue went away.

calder

For anyone getting disconnected all the time (like me) there are a few threads about it, playstation.com's KZ2 forum has a thread asking for details from one of the GG devs. Apparently a patch is in the works and they seem to think they have an idea about what's causing at least some of the issues, but who knows how long it'll be.

Based on the 9052 error I kept getting it was suggested playing without your BT headset. Played all tonight with no problems, but not being able to talk is a huge pain in the ass. :| Still, at least I was able to go up 3 ranks tonight. :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Finished veteran.
KlintIndifference.gif

-Winnie-

tass0 said:
Last weeks sales figures for the UK

1. Killzone 2 (Sony)
2. Halo Wars (Microsoft)
4. Wii Fit (Nintendo)
7. FIFA 09 (EA)

The end of an era. Elpresador called it.

I have to rank up or get better before I play on gaf games, it just not fun unless it's at least competitive. Is there any skill that detects spies? there are always 3-4 per team and even if friendly fire is off people bitch if you them

Kittonwy

Banned
BobTheFork said:
I have to rank up or get better before I play on gaf games, it just not fun unless it's at least competitive. Is there any skill that detects spies? there are always 3-4 per team and even if friendly fire is off people bitch if you them

I think turretz can smell dem spiez. Also your reticle turnz red.
Indifferent2.gif

calder

Kittonwy said:
Finished veteran.
KlintIndifference.gif
It was really dumb of me to play through it on veteran first. It's making it more of a frustrating slog than it needs to be, and now I'm maybe halfway through and the SP is a bit not fun. :| I may need to fly you in to beat the game for me, damn gold trophy whoring. ;)

That said, tonight the multi *really* clicked for me. I liked it from the get go, but tonight the controls and modes really just came together. I freaking love the multi in this game, and I find myself loving the controls and the feel. It sure ain't perfect, but it feels a bit different and more importantly it feels just as satisfying as any other console online shooter, and the Warzone format makes me play a lot longer than I normally would. Funny how 30 minutes can go by so fast when the game types change so fast and seamlessly. And some of the maps are extremely good looking and fun.

Thank god for Alt 2 controls, I'm not sure how I'd be able to play this game without it. Strange how swapping 2 buttons makes such a huge difference to me. ;)

Just got done playing a bunch of GAF games, good times. Didn't do anywhere nearly as bad as I thought I would. Think I was in the top 5 of my team every game.

Got all the classes unlocked now except for the scout. Is there anywhere that has all the requirements for all the unlockables listed?

careksims

I really enjoy the single player. I must've played certain levels like 3-4 times already. I think I like all the levels except the Palace. Everything else is gravy. So damn good and looks good to boot. I wish all games had this level of greatness.

Just shows how good the levels are.

oneHeero

BobTheFork said:
Having your cursor over their body shows up red and name changes back if I recall correctly.

No other way though. Also, you can definitely not be leveled up yet and still do good.

Hopefully I can play some more gaf games later with you guys, tons of fun!

I'm F1nestOne in case no one snaps to who it is :\

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Im not a huge FPS fan...but I almost feel obligated to buy this game as a ps3 owner, lol. Im debating between this and MLB '09 The Show...I can only afford one of them. My wallet is on life support.

Top Bottom