• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Check it out, peasants:

33m9yl4.jpg

Bow before thy King.
Blood Gracht. 32 players (I think).
Quintuple kill with the rocket launcher as the opposing team tried to defuse the C4 I planted.
Scored the Propaganda speaker 3 times in a row thanks to the boost.

:D :D :D

raYne

gregor7777 said:
I've noticed this as well. I wish I could capture it to video, but I've got the drop on someone and emptied nearly a full clip directly into their back only for them to swing around and two-shot me.

Most likely a netcode issue, and it doesn't seem too frequent luckily. But it has happened to me 2-3 times in about 5 hours of play.
Or they could've been Assault Class. Armor gives 'em twice the health.

RJNavarrete said:
Boost sucks and I hate it.

That is all. ;)

Scotch

Finished the singleplayer today. I enjoyed it but was pretty underwhelmed.

The game looks great on a technical level, but I was never blown away because there's just something incredibly unappealing to me about the leveldesign. It never gave me the illusion of being in a real place, it feels very much like a game world. Furthermore there's just not enough variety throughout the campaign. Surely there must be some nature or snow or whatever on Helghan?

Also, I've been playing shooters since Wolfenstein 3D, and never before did I finish an FPS where I was fighting the controls as much as in Killzone 2. I can see what Guerrilla were going for with making the controls feel 'heavy' but they've overdone it. I can still somewhat appreciate the sluggishness in singleplayer because it can make the firefights a bit more... cinematic, I guess? But I doubt I'll be playing much multiplayer because of it.

Also the dialogue is dreadful. I thought Gears 2 was pretty bad in this regard, but wow.

Ephemeris

:lol Halfway through elite and I just realized I don't have a reticule anymore.

And I'm having waay more fun in Elite for some reason.

..till I get back to the Palace anyways.

TheFatOne

Scotch said:

The game looks great on a technical level, but I was never blown away because there's just something incredibly unappealing to me about the leveldesign. It never gave me the illusion of being in a real place, it feels very much like a game world. Furthermore there's just not enough variety throughout the campaign. Surely there must be some nature or snow or whatever on Helghan?

Also, I've been playing shooters since Wolfenstein 3D, and never before did I finish an FPS where I was fighting the controls as much as in Killzone 2. I can see what Guerrilla were going for with making the controls feel 'heavy' but they've overdone it. I can still somewhat appreciate the sluggishness in singleplayer because it can make the firefights a bit more... cinematic, I guess? But I doubt I'll be playing much multiplayer because of it.

Also the dialogue is dreadful. I thought Gears 2 was pretty bad in this regard, but wow.

Multiplayer is much faster.

Nizz

dollartaco said:
tiddles,

I love the game, but have one suggestion: a dead zone tweak. This isn't for me, per se, but I think it would solve a lot of the control complaints I've been hearing, and without changing the feel of the game. I know that the dead zone isn't as big as some are making it out to be; crosshair movement actually registers with a slight push of the stick, but it's very very very slow movement. People are pushing the stick slightly to the right and see no obvious result, then push it a little bit further only to hit what they probably feel is the point that the controls catch, thus overshooting the target. Maybe cut that dead zone down a bit, call it "Expert Aiming" or something like that, allow it to be toggled.

I read in the update notes that GG is looking into this. Again, personally, I really like the controls, but there is definitely value in creating a "fix" that gives more experienced players better precision movement, without changing the gross movements that would carry the weight of the weapon as intended.
Sounds good! I second this. ;)

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Scotch said:

i feel the exact opposite... i liked the level design, that you could aproach the enemy on so many different ways... and when i first was in the desert levels, t thought how great fallout3 could have looked like ... but i just really like industrial designs

raYne said:
Or they could've been Assault Class. Armor gives 'em twice the health.

I have it on the 'similar rank' setting or whatever it's called when you browse for servers. That could be it though, but I'm still pretty low rank and don't have access to the assault class so I don't believe I was playing people who've unlocked assault. /shrug

Dragnet

Oh man....I can't state enough how goddamn satisfying the kills are! How did GG do it?! SO GODDAMN GOOD. EVERY BULLET HIT IS LIKE A NOM. OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM MOAR NOM NOM NOM

Huggers

Dragnet said:
Oh man....I can't state enough how goddamn satisfying the kills are! How did GG do it?! SO GODDAMN GOOD. EVERY BULLET HIT IS LIKE A NOM. OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM MOAR NOM NOM NOM

:lol agreed

Whats the deal with Killzone.com, I lod in and none of my online stats show up. Is this the same for everyone at the mo?

Greg

I've been busy with midterms and shit since launch, but I finally had some time to get into MP this afternoon and it's fucking awesome.

It is pretty easy to level though... already Lieutenant and I just started. I was getting about 30-40 points at the beginning, but now I'm anywhere from 60 to 100 a round with the headshots scaling like they do.

For the people that are maxed in rank, what are the average top scores you see at the end of the round? I'm assuming 100+ isn't out of the ordinary if you're on the winning team?

Dragnet said:

I don't know about every bullet hit being satisfying but, I do like that little ring sound you hear when you get a kill.

CAW

34 more points until I can be a medic. I've seen a medic once out of like 10 games played. That one game he was making a huge difference to the team so I'm hoping to be able to do the same. Is there a lack of medics or are people just not really into the healing part?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hate that medic revivals are +1!!! I am almost to the revival medal, but that + the cooldown means I have to be shotgunner first, medic second. I want to be medic first, soldier second.

And I like that now that I'm a medic I'm getting lots of squad invites. Yes, I'll follow you around and mop up after you, douchebag.

kaskade

The Hug Dog said:
:lol agreed

Whats the deal with Killzone.com, I lod in and none of my online stats show up. Is this the same for everyone at the mo?
Mine haven't been loading up since Friday. Hopefully they are back up soon.

dwin45

Y2Kev said:
I hate that medic revivals are +1!!! I am almost to the revival medal, but that + the cooldown means I have to be shotgunner first, medic second. I want to be medic first, soldier second.

And I like that now that I'm a medic I'm getting lots of squad invites. Yes, I'll follow you around and mop up after you, douchebag.
Wait, how do you use the shotgun with the medic?

poweld

Felix Lighter said:
I don't know about every bullet hit being satisfying but, I do like that little ring sound you hear when you get a kill.
It's funny, I was contemplating that sound. I was wondering why I was getting so much satisfaction from just killing people in multiplayer, and while reflecting, I hear that ring/chime in my ears.

Such a simple creature I must be :)

CAW said:
34 more points until I can be a medic. I've seen a medic once out of like 10 games played. That one game he was making a huge difference to the team so I'm hoping to be able to do the same. Is there a lack of medics or are people just not really into the healing part?

I play as medic and I see quite a few of them. Do you see other classes often? It may just be the case that your playing people at your rank and they don't have the class unlocked.

CAW said:

I know I will be...I usually play support roles like Medic/Engineer in games like TF2, ET, RTCW, etc.

I'll probably be the same in this game.

SaitoH

Ok, so I'm playing on Elite difficulty and getting my ass handed to me at the final Visari Square battle. I've taken the spot but can't handle the onslaught. At best I can manage untill the dropship brings enemy re-enforcements, then I'm done. Everyone is so aggressive and there is no "safe" spot. Any tactics advice?

Can somebody explain to me how the hell the medic gun works as a weapon? I'm running around making flashes and I'm pretty sure all that's doing is attracting the other team's attention and causing me to get killed even quicker than usual...

CAW

Felix Lighter said:
I play as medic and I see quite a few of them. Do you see other classes often? It may just be the case that your playing people at your rank and they don't have the class unlocked.
That's possibly it. The first game I played there were engineers, a sniper and a medic. After that one game I've yet to see either.

Perhaps that will change once I rank up. Oh, come to think of it, I did follow a friend of mine who was a Master Sergent at the time - I think I just answered my own question, as all the other games I searched for one my own. :lol
gregor7777 said:
I know I will be...I usually play support roles like Medic/Engineer in games like TF2, ET, RTCW, etc.
Same.

careful

dollartaco said:
tiddles,

I love the game, but have one suggestion: a dead zone tweak. This isn't for me, per se, but I think it would solve a lot of the control complaints I've been hearing, and without changing the feel of the game. I know that the dead zone isn't as big as some are making it out to be; crosshair movement actually registers with a slight push of the stick, but it's very very very slow movement. People are pushing the stick slightly to the right and see no obvious result, then push it a little bit further only to hit what they probably feel is the point that the controls catch, thus overshooting the target. Maybe cut that dead zone down a bit, call it "Expert Aiming" or something like that, allow it to be toggled.

I read in the update notes that GG is looking into this. Again, personally, I really like the controls, but there is definitely value in creating a "fix" that gives more experienced players better precision movement, without changing the gross movements that would carry the weight of the weapon as intended.
Agreed. Dead zone and acceleration tweak. That's all I'm asking for. A lot of hardcore guys have adjusted to the controls, but I've seen way too many people turned off by them - a majority of my FPS friends actually :(
They should definitely patch the controls if they want to maintain a long term healthy community for this game.

Dragnet

Medic here too, REPRESENT! Nothing like the thrill of seeing a downed soldier and sprinting through bullets, fire, enemies, grenades and everything to get that revive :D Love making a difference to the team, just wish people would stand still so I could throw them a med pack!

DoomGyver

GAF TIME TO DIE! is up.

I finally figured out how to customize the map rotation, now I feel stupid.

All you have to do is de-select all of the maps then select them in the order you want them.

oneHeero

RJNavarrete said:
Check it out, peasants:

Bow before thy King.
Quintuple kill with the rocket launcher as the opposing team tried to defuse the C4 I planted.

Its really easy to score this much in any game if your on the winning team. Winning team(x1.5) + scoring on retrieval(w/ assault) and getting assasinations(w/ assault) is easy.

I've gotten bored of doing it that I dont even use assault because its overpowered, really nothing to gloat about. Nice kill with rockets though, the damage radius is small and for you to have killed that many with 1 shot is pimp and meant you laid it perfect LOL

Best players I've played(when in gaf games) are usually, Full-Recovery, F1nestOne(myself :( ), and a couple of others that are slipping my mind since I'm at work, but there are like 2-3 others.

Other than that people usually just play for fun XD, but now that I have all badges for my scout, I can see this game feeling fresh all over lol. Sniping is so sweet.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
CAW said:

I dunno, I've seen quite a few recently. But yeah you can get a decent amount of points from simply healing people, plus you get a rifle and a sidearm.

oneHeero

careful said:
Agreed. Dead zone and acceleration tweak. That's all I'm asking for. A lot of hardcore guys have adjusted to the controls, but I've seen way too many people turned off by them - a majority of my FPS friends actually :(
They should definitely patch the controls if they want to maintain a long term healthy community for this game.
I disagree, changing that results in more of a twitch shooter, once they change the sensitivity, people well deem the game to hard because of no auto-aim.

It game handles the way it does now thanks to the controls, change that and you have a twitch shooter with no auto-aim.

I dont mind if people turn away, the game has found a hardcore crowd that I was hoping for and thats all it needs to keep it running. I'm glad this game isnt some twitch shooter with insane amounts of auto-aim like halo, r1, cod, r2 etc.

cameltoe

Ya know whats pissing me off in MP? Team mates!!! I hate them all!!! Im aiming down a hallway firing at a few enemies only to have 3 teammates charge down the hall...yup I killed them!! Fuckers run right into my gun fire!! Better yet, trying to toss a nade down a hall, cooked up nice, only to have an idiot run in front of me and it bounces off of him and blows up in my face!!

Pisses me the fuck off....and it happens all the time!! They are in such a hurry to charge in before its clear...COMMUNICATE YOU FUCKWADS!!!

You know what completely fucking sucks?

Since Friday my ISP has had a service outage, I've been without GAF, no Killzone multi or SF4 matches.

Been playing a ton with max bots on Elite just to learn the maps but goddamn motherfuckers I need to get ONLINE NOWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Being able to play with my friends on the same fucking team should not require me to start my own game and wait 30 minutes for anyone other than us to fucking join..

Why the hell isn't there a party system!?!

Big-E

I really like playing medic. I was at or near the top in last nights gaf games a medic. I just wished you got points for healing team mates. You get them for revives, you should get them for heals.

TheFatOne

Full Recovery said:
GAF TIME TO DIE! is up.

I finally figured out how to customize the map rotation, now I feel stupid.

All you have to do is de-select all of the maps then select them in the order you want them.

Is this one pass protected?

Well I just wrapped up the single player portion

END Spoilers Beware!
After the final cinematic I really wished that we had gotten to see more of Visari, he's the most interesting character in the game and we only get to see him booking the game. I did like the final cinematic though, the intent seeming to be having you second guess your rightfulness in the war. Having Rico kill Visari off was a good way of having Sev really wonder about it, and by the end of it I really didn't like Rico. He was an asshole in the first, and at the end of KZ2 he just seems hell bent.

I hate that last boss fight though against Radek. I only played it on normal difficulty and still died plenty of times. For the most part the most annoying part of the fight was the rocket guys. Once I knew what enemies were going to come from where it wasn't as bad, but none the less annoying. It was mainly the second part of the fight when you're up on the second level that gave me issues, I got through the first part and third part no problem. Radek himself was easy, but strafing in circles the whole time while he constantly tries to knife rape you got old quick.

Overall I loved just about all of the single player with the exception of that boss fight, though I guess for a final boss it's at least better to be a little tougher than a little weaker. I can imagine playing that on the hardest difficulty would exceed even that level in CoD4 at the end of the sniper section, waiting for the copter.

I'll definitely be going through it again though on the next difficulty though, even though multiplayer will now get most of my play time.

Nightz

oneHeero said:
Best players I've played(when in gaf games) are usually, Full-Recovery, F1nestOne(myself :( ), and a couple of others that are slipping my mind since I'm at work, but there are like 2-3 others.
N1ghtz ;)
kidding.

Anyways, how long are people taking to complete the campaign on Normal? I played the first level when I first got the game, went to multiplayer, and haven't touched SP since. I still want to do the campaign, but I don't want it to take up too much of my sweet multiplayer time. :p

Zezboob

DON'T REVIVE ME :mad:

Seriously, there is no way to prevent teammates to revive us ?
Because in a lot of case, it's better to respawn.

Felix Lighter said:
Not me, or at least not anymore.

Now, every time I go to bed, I hear this little noise repetitively. And the sound of the grenade.... seriously, that's a nightmare @@

I know there are ammo crates some where to reload but I have never actually used one. Am I missing something?

Zezboob said:
DON'T REVIVE ME :mad:

Seriously, there is no way to prevent teammates to revive us ?
Because in a lot of case, it's better to respawn.

You should be able to commit suicide in those cases. I try not to revive someone that looks like they're in a bad position but I can never tell what their ammo situation is like. Most people seem pretty appreciative when I revive them.

careful

oneHeero said:
I disagree, changing that results in more of a twitch shooter, once they change the sensitivity, people well deem the game to hard because of no auto-aim.

It game handles the way it does now thanks to the controls, change that and you have a twitch shooter with no auto-aim.

I dont mind if people turn away, the game has found a hardcore crowd that I was hoping for and thats all it needs to keep it running. I'm glad this game isnt some twitch shooter with insane amounts of auto-aim like halo, r1, cod, r2 etc.
I understand your point, and I don't suggest to change the current 'feel' of the control. By tweak, I meant to give us the ability to adjust those settings (like in SOCOM).
So the guys that have adapted to the feel can keep it that way, but all the other people that were turned off can also get in on the fun.

I would rather have the KZ community be large and mainstream like Halo and COD than to be small and hardcore due to the controls not jiving with so many people.

RJNavarrete said:
Check it out, peasants:

33m9yl4.jpg

Bow before thy King.

o hai
IMG00001.jpg

Sorry for the shitty quality, it says 163.5.

Byakuya769 said:
Being able to play with my friends on the same fucking team should not require me to start my own game and wait 30 minutes for anyone other than us to fucking join..

Why the hell isn't there a party system!?!

Surely this will be in the first major patch. It's glaringly obvious it's needed and hampering an otherwise excellent MP package, feature-wise.

EDIT: was there some specific reason it wasn't included?

EDIT 2: seeing how I got top of the (50 post) page, if anyone wants to play later I need some PSN friends with the game. PSN: gregor_7777

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Felix Lighter said:
I know there are ammo crates some where to reload but I have never actually used one. Am I missing something?

You need an Engineer with a repair tool to repair it so your team can use it.

Top Bottom