• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

h3ro

gutterboy44 said:
Does GAF have any clans going? I have only once participated in a serious clan back in the counter-strike beta 1 days. I would like to get back into a consistent clan. I wasn't really feeling clan play for COD4 but I think I would like to give a go with KZ2. Can some one PM me with the clan tag or send and invite to PSN: Gutterboy44 Thanks.

Ahhh must leave work and play KZ2!

There are currently 74 different GAF clans, all headed by kittens.

Yes, they're region based, go here :)

tribal24

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
KZ2 doesn't get enough credit for the music. Its some of the most epic and fantastic stuff I have heard in a long time.

the title screen music sounds like the theme from the spiderman movie>.>

BruceLeeRoy said:
KZ2 doesn't get enough credit for the music. Its some of the most epic and fantastic stuff I have heard in a long time.

are you serious? i found it damn cliched. it didn't have the awesome dynamic feeling of warhawk, and otherwise it just felt like they'd taken the orchestral movements from star wars and changed them enough to make them not copyright infringements

there's nothing unique or memorable about it. it's dramatic space-opera fare 101

thaOwner

Someone with the right equipment should stream one of the GAF games. Am watching some streams right now
and i can totally understand why some of you guys are addicted to the multiplayer.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Eh, not really. It works but it's not anything worth writing home about, I think a more industrial sound would have meshed better. As evidenced by how awesome my NIN playlist goes with the multi...

bsjezz said:
are you serious? i found it damn cliched. it didn't have the awesome dynamic feeling of warhawk, and otherwise it just felt like they'd taken the orchestral movements from star wars and changed them enough to make them not copyright infringements

there's nothing unique or memorable about it. it's dramatic space-opera fare 101

Man really? I seriously was into it the whole time. Everytime a heavy would roll his ass out and I would hear
the beat start to pick up I would get so pumped.

MickeyKnox said:
Eh, not really. It works but it's not anything worth writing home about, I think a more industrial sound would have meshed better.
Ha I must have bad taste.

I was even just watching some of the gametrailer badge stuff for mp and man that music kicks ass too.

.GqueB.

Banned
gregor7777 said:
I've noticed this as well. I wish I could capture it to video, but I've got the drop on someone and emptied nearly a full clip directly into their back only for them to swing around and two-shot me.

Most likely a netcode issue, and it doesn't seem too frequent luckily. But it has happened to me 2-3 times in about 5 hours of play.
Thats not really netcode. Look at where youre shooting. These soldiers arent running around with tshirts on. Youre shooting right into armor pretty much, so its gonna take a while to get someone down that way. It always does. The person is probably just turning around and shooting you in the face is all.

-viper-

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Man really? I seriously was into it the whole time. Everytime a heavy would roll his ass out and I would hear

I was even just watching some of the gametrailer badge stuff for mp and man that music kicks ass too.
The soundtrack is awesome. Sony need to release one.

jmonteiro

BruceLeeRoy said:

No you don't have bad taste. The sound track is awesome.

I only got bored with it during chapter 10 and that's because it took me 2 hours to clear it (Veteran). I hate that part where you on the balcony and the Helghast come from both sides and flank you. I probably died 50 times in there :(

DMeisterJ

Banned
I unlocked my scout, but I'm having so much more fun with the saboteur and C4s. I used the scout exclusively once I unlocked it in the beta, but I really don't enjoy it too much now... I earned the medals, and I'll come back to get the 10 sniperkill one, but I'm going to stick being a saboteur. I find that sniping doesn't lend itself to many levels. Sniping on Radec's academy is nigh-unpossible (especially with 32 people), it's passable on the six other levels, and superb on Pyrrhus Rise. The gameplay is too hectic with 32 people for any other map aside from Pyrrhus rise for it to be useful for. Usually going close range with any other gun yields much better results. Obviously that's just my opinion, but yeah. I hope more levels are made where the Scout can reign supreme in a match when the DLC comes, though, I'd love to sink my teeth back into it.

Aladuf

Banned
Saboteur class is so fun, me and this one dude on the other team were both Saboteurs and we had our disguises on and we ran right past each other thinking the other was just an actual member of our team until we realized it and turned around at the same time and killed each other. :lol

jmonteiro said:
No you don't have bad taste. The sound track is awesome.

I only got bored with it during chapter 10 and that's because it took me 2 hours to clear it (Veteran). I hate that part where you on the balcony and the Helghast come from both sides and flank you. I probably died 50 times in there :(

:lol Thats so funny you mentioned that specific part because it is probably my least favorite music and I never really could figure out why.

Nizz

tiddles said:
All I can say is, it is being looked into - as Seb mentions on the official forums, no promises as yet, and any changes would indeed most likely be in the form of options which would allow people to keep the controls in their current form if they preferred it.
Thanks for the heads up. At least an option, so people who are really comfortable with the controls could leave them as is. But for someone who may want a smaller dead zone, an option is there.

Zen

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
I think this is one of the more complex shooters ever released. Between the requirements to class up and the controls, the game really takes shooter dedication to another level. I can only assume given all those things that it was done on purpose from the start. I think the graphics will bring a large crowd in, but it's really going to segment the population down the line.

I see nothing wrong with that btw, I adore the game. But I think people going apeshit because some find it offputting are ignoring the obvious.

I find the requirements to get badges to be fairly obnoxious and they facilitate unatural play and refuse to reward you for using the skills period unless you pass a threshold. Really, it shouldn't be 'do this X amount of times in a game' it should be 'do this X amount of times in total to gain the badge'. A la MGO and how they handle skills.

Concept17

Fuck the multiplayer is great. It usually takes me a solid round to get warmed up, but after that I usually find myself in the top 3.

FF is also really random. I went all of yesterday with maybe 1 or 2 incidents, then in just a couple matches this afternoon, there must have been a dozen involving someone jumping in front of me while im shooting the enemy, or getting blown up by a nade.

KZObsessed

I love Pyrrhus Rise map! I can get such a beautiful snipe! Felt like it was me versus 3 other snipers in that game, abdul, mario and NeoUltima. Epic.

Leatherface

Woot! I finally picked this up last night. This game is friggen incredible!! =O
I have yet to try multiplayer though. I'm still coming to terms with playing an FPS on a console again (it's been awhile).

Anyway, my PSN gamertag is "CLYPTOS" if anyone wants to add me. I should be doing multiplayer in a few days once I'm up to par.

BTW- I heard a rumor that a co-op patch will be released soon. Is that true?

Wallach

Zen said:
I find the requirements to get badges to be fairly obnoxious and they facilitate unatural play and refuse to reward you for using the skills period unless you pass a threshold. Really, it shouldn't be 'do this X amount of times in a game' it should be 'do this X amount of times in total to gain the badge'. A la MGO and how they handle skills.

Yeah, this is definitely my least favorite thing about the multiplayer. I can't really wrap my head around some of the badge decisions. I need to get the sidearm badge 8 times? Really? Did they think people were going to bother doing that in normal gameplay and not the now-common "UNLOCK UR PISTOL" Bodycount-only matches that come up because trying to do the former is completely retarded?

Not all of them are outside a player's typical scope (most are just performance related) so I don't know how stupid ones slipped in there with the others for the final release.

newsguy

Got this yesterday and played a couple of hours of the SP. Can anyone tell me if there's a bit of disorientation in large gunfights or is it just me? Like many times I won't know where the F I'm being shot from. And when I find the enemies I'm like "damn is no area safe?" Some of the areas just have a 360 degree radius where guys spawn from and there's lots of WTF inducing deaths. I am liking the game despite this, but I don't like the feeling of a cheap death.

Definity

I'm still sucked into online play in this game and I've loved every minute of it. I do wish we had some type of party system though. It's frustrating trying to join a friends team when the server is restricted to auto balance teams.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
newsguy said:
Got this yesterday and played a couple of hours of the SP. Can anyone tell me if there's a bit of disorientation in large gunfights or is it just me? Like many times I won't know where the F I'm being shot from. And when I find the enemies I'm like "damn is no area safe?" Some of the areas just have a 360 degree radius where guys spawn from and there's lots of WTF inducing deaths. I am liking the game despite this, but I don't like the feeling of a cheap death.

I think so too. Of course, there are indications on where you're being shot from, but sometimes it happens so fast you don't have much time to react.

itsinmyveins

Oh, and by the way; trying to get 10 kills with the pistol in a match eight times sucks so bad. That gun is horrible.

.GqueB.

Banned
Zen said:
How does is facilitate unnatural play? If anything its the most natural Ive seen to be honest. Youre not doing anything out of the ordinary, your doing everything youre supposed to do and everything youre going to do anyway. Heal someone five times in a game, snipe while cloaked, kill someone while disguised as the other enemy. If anything its teaching you how to play correctly. For instance, if you arent naturally healing 5 people in the course of a game then youre doing it wrong. I think thats kind of the point.

Now if it were "heal TEN people" then yea thatd be a bit rough. That number is intimidating and would make people run around healing everything because it feels more urgent.

Wallach said:
Yeah, this is definitely my least favorite thing about the multiplayer. I can't really wrap my head around some of the badge decisions. I need to get the sidearm badge 8 times? Really? Did they think people were going to bother doing that in normal gameplay and not the now-common "UNLOCK UR PISTOL" Bodycount-only matches that come up because trying to do the former is completely retarded?

Not all of them are outside a player's typical scope (most are just performance related) so I don't know how stupid ones slipped in there with the others for the final release.

I'm not a fan of this either, especially the ones for turret & air support kills. My turrets RARELY actually kill anyone, if they do, it's only one or two people per game..

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
newsguy said:
I never really felt that way in the game. In fact, you can always look where your team mates are shooting and that will help you telling where to concentrate your attention and where to run for cover.

Wallach

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
I'm not a fan of this either, especially the ones for turret & air support kills. My turrets RARELY actually kill anyone, if they do, it's only one or two people per game..

I didn't have too much of a problem with this one. Turret placement is important; give your turrets height advantage whenever possible, they are capable of headshots (and award you bonus points if you have the headshot badge) and score those more often from higher angles. Less extreme height changes (look at the sides of the Blood Gracht canal for reference) work best when they're tracking moving targets.

itsinmyveins

Lord Error said:
I never really felt that way in the game. In fact, you can always look where your team mates are shooting and that will help you telling where to concentrate your attention and where to run for cover.

There are areas where you're pretty much being swarmed from different directions though.

Pojo

Banned
Few things I noticed:

- when I get revived, I'm always facing the wrong way and get blasted right back down, usually along with the guy that revived me.
- I want to be a sniper, but I have to wait forever to unlock it.
- I fucking suck at this game.
- How some of you guys are so good at headshotting me while I'm moving around is beyond me. And by you guys, I mean whoever I'm playing against that I don't kill by getting in a strafing fest for 10 seconds. There is definitely a dead zone issue, and how it relates to the "feel of the weapon" is beyond me.

Still playing, though!

itsinmyveins

Pojo said:
Few things I noticed:

- when I get revived, I'm always facing the wrong way and get blasted right back down, usually along with the guy that revived me.

I know what you mean, happens to me every single time too.

dk_

Room before Radec (highest difficulty):

Seriously? You fight tons of enemies and then rocket launcher guys appear without any checkpoint? That sucks big time. Any tips?

I don't see what the fuss is about with the pistol badge. There are pre programmed match types for pistol only already in the game. I don't think gorilla necessarily meant for this badge to be only in straight up death match. I played some pistol only rounds to finish off my pistol badge. It was actually a pretty good couple of rounds to help improve your aim. However, I started my pistol badge in normal game play. Pick the assault class, turn on boost and go nuts. You are going to have a pretty shitty round for the most part, but you can run right up on ppl and shoot them in the face. Also, using the saboteur class helps get pistol kills. Sneak up and head shot.

I highly recommend getting the pistol badge asap. The M4 revolver is so awesome. Two shot kills, and often one shot kills if someone is slightly damaged. I go several rounds where I don't even touch my primary weapon and just blow away people with the pistol. It is very satisfying to pick people off with it. Also, if you are in a shoot out with someone and you land a hit but then run out of ammo, you are now switching to a full auto weapon and they are left switching to pistol so you can have an advantage that way. Anyway, the revolver is currently my favorite weapon.

.GqueB.

Banned
Pojo said:
Few things I noticed:

- I want to be a sniper, but I have to wait forever to unlock it.
- I fucking suck at this game.
- How some of you guys are so good at headshotting me while I'm moving around is beyond me. And by you guys, I mean whoever I'm playing against that I don't kill by getting in a strafing fest for 10 seconds. There is definitely a dead zone issue, and how it relates to the "feel of the weapon" is beyond me.

Still playing, though!
Thats why you peace out when ever you get revived. Im not standing around to get shot again. FFFF that. Gotta collect myself first.

itsinmyveins

gutterboy44 said:
However, I started my pistol badge in normal game play. Pick the assault class, turn on boost and go nuts. You are going to have a pretty shitty round for the most part, but you can run right up on ppl and shoot them in the face. Also, using the saboteur class helps get pistol kills. Sneak up and head shot.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Didn't realize there were pistols only matches, though.

itsinmyveins

Raist said:
The shotgun's range is ridiculous.

I've heard some people mention this, but I haven't noticed that yet. Probably because I mostly meet people with shotguns in smaller areas.

dk_ said:
Room before Radec (highest difficulty):

Seriously? You fight tons of enemies and then rocket launcher guys appear without any checkpoint? That sucks big time. Any tips?

Sniper rifle and lots of straffing

ItsInMyVeins said:
Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Didn't realize there were pistols only matches, though.

Yeah if you create a game there are a couple of already programmed match types that Gorilla setup for quick select. I would have felt a little guilty doing a 10 player pistol only match but, heck they put it there.

I remeber ppl freaking out in BF2 about pistol only servers, "they will wipe your stats!". Those badges didn't even unlock anything! Maybe I will host another one later tonight. Like I mentioned badges aside, it is really good training for your aim and strafe-aim.

Top Bottom