• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Wallach

ItsInMyVeins said:
I've heard some people mention this, but I haven't noticed that yet. Probably because I mostly meet people with shotguns in smaller areas.

It connects from a decent distance I guess, but it's not deadly at all outside of close range.

What strikes me as silly is the accuracy of the assault rifles at real distance. I snipe people across Pyrrhus Rise with the ISA assault pretty often.

newsguy said:
And when I find the enemies I'm like "damn is no area safe?" Some of the areas just have a 360 degree radius where guys spawn from and there's lots of WTF inducing deaths. I am liking the game despite this, but I don't like the feeling of a cheap death.

People rightfully praise the AI in the SP game but part of what makes the game so challenging in the SP is that they are often placing you in "bad positions" with multiple entry points which makes defending or staying alive with the agressive AI a challenge. You just have to keep moving. The scenarios where the Higs are coming in from a single general direction are much easier and the AI doesn't work as well here. They tend to make the same mistake as CoD enemies and keep running to that MG42 or that one same cover area where I am patiently waiting to blow their brains out with my sniper or other accurate weapon.

I like the game a lot but it's not perfect. The A.I. also suffers from the annoying trait of "knowing who I'm aiming at". Now there's no way they should be able to tell who I'm aiming at if I haven't shot, but I find the enemy that I aim at is much more prone to cover and blind-firing than the others, who are taking this time to stand out of cover and blast away at me. I change my target and often that enemy dives for cover while the last one I aimed at pops up and begins unloading. Not singling this game out, most of them are guilty.

Also, despite the vaunted enemy AI, my companions are often dumb as rocks and are constantly in my way, especially when they are blocking the areas where I need to move.

Finally, I'm constantly reviving their dumb asses with my heal-ray, but if I go down they don't even bother to come check on me. WTF is up with that?

I do like the game a lot, though.

dk_ said:
Room before Radec (highest difficulty):

Seriously? You fight tons of enemies and then rocket launcher guys appear without any checkpoint? That sucks big time. Any tips?

Step 1: Take a flamethrower and melee the dude that comes down stairs, then knife the two flame dudes. Which should give you full flame ammo

Step 2: When the fist wave on infantry comes use the LAR, the second do the same but watch the sides as two should come up.

Step 3: Shock troopers appear, gather the flame thrower and bolt for the left side stairs, you can hide there and flame them as the come up.

step 4: as soon as you hear the doors after the shock troopers, bolt and get the grenade launcher, go back and fire at the rocket dudes. Then when the intruder crashes you have a checkpoint.

Multiplayer becomes a clusterfuck whenever Search and Destroy pops up. Ultimately, both teams place spawn points in the same room, resulting in a madhouse. Guerrilla needs to make it so that spawn points cannot be placed inside or around the room you're attacking/defending.

And gotta love the snipers who spawn camp in gaf games. Really helping out your team, guys.

icechai

Jack Scofield said:
Multiplayer becomes a clusterfuck whenever Search and Destroy pops up. Ultimately, both teams place spawn points in the same room, resulting in a madhouse. Guerrilla needs to make it so that spawn points cannot be placed inside or around the room you're attacking/defending.

And gotta love the snipers who spawn camp in gaf games. Really helping out your team, guys.

Guerilla should just keep spawn points like in the Beta, where you're not invincible, sure people can camp spawn points, but that's why you have 2 spawn grenades, squad leaders, and base spawn

Zeliard

Raist said:
The shotgun's range is ridiculous.

If you shoot it at a decent range it takes a few shots to kill someone with it, though, and in the time it takes you to reload the next shot you could be dead.

I haven't really found the shotgun to be overpowered like some say it is. If you miss with it, you're pretty much fucked, especially if you're facing someone that has a gun with a high rate of fire (like the SMG).

Of course, the shotgun does have blatant auto-aim if you hold on L1, which is rather hilarious. That aspect of it is obviously and hideously overpowered, but I expect it to be gone in the next patch.

Wallach

icechai said:
Guerilla should just keep spawn points like in the Beta, where you're not invincible, sure people can camp spawn points, but that's why you have 2 spawn grenades, squad leaders, and base spawn

Yeah, this would fix the problem IMO. I have no idea why people were made invincible when spawning out of a Tactician spawn. S&D completely sucks right now because of it.

raYne

Jack Scofield said:

Well, the problem kinda solves itself if the host turns off Tactitians.

Though that raises other issues.

Ephemeris said:
Fuck. That.
Well the squad leader would just have to, you know, do his job and stay alive. :lol

dk_ said:
Room before Radec (highest difficulty):

Seriously? You fight tons of enemies and then rocket launcher guys appear without any checkpoint? That sucks big time. Any tips?

Okay man this is what worked for me.
Click on this picture and ill walk you through it.
So after the you hear the doors opening announcing the arrival of the rocket launchers hole up in that
spot next to the debris with the sniper rifle and crouch in the corner. No one on the ground can hit you and they will be forced to run up the stairs or go for cover at the bottom of the stairs. If they do either you can try and snipe them, throw a grenade or switch to knife run take them down and then run back to cover. Once your done with them you can snipe the guys at your leisure from that spot.

Ephemeris

TheFatOne said:
Does anyone know how to get the boost ribbons? I keep doing boost but I'm getting nothing.

Until the patch comes out, the only way to get it is by making sure you're the one that created the game you're playing in.

Ephemeris

BruceLeeRoy said:
Okay man this is what worked for me.
Click on this picture and ill walk you through it.
So after the you hear the doors opening announcing the arrival of the rocket launchers hole up in that
spot next to the debris with the sniper rifle and crouch in the corner. No one on the ground can hit you and they will be forced to run up the stairs or go for cover at the bottom of the stairs. If they do either you can try and snipe them, throw a grenade or switch to knife run take them down and then run back to cover. Once your done with them you can snipe the guys at your leisure from that spot.

Good recommendation. I did that pretty much, except I sniped
the rocket dudes
from the ground level. Pretty easy to dodge.

TheFatOne

Ephemeris said:
Until the patch comes out, the only way to get it is by making sure you're the one that created the game you're playing in.

What the fuck. That is some bullshit I was wasting all this time for nothing. Does anyone know when GG is going to do another patch?

6:55 total playtime

....It was glorious :D

Some opinions:

- Rico is probably the biggest fucking douchebag I've seen in a game in a long time ...seroiusly, I hated him by the end of the game. Then again, maybe that was the desired affect.

- I really liked the last stretch and felt it was about time that a FPS ended with a great last level ...Radek included dispite the initial frustation ...though I guess GG maybe felt the same way too with that "...under 20 minutes" trophy :lol

- The music score, while sounding a bit generic in a few places (opening beach fight for example), was excellent and is indeed underrated. Some fantastic stuff in there

- The visuals ....well nothing else touches them. Fucking period.

- I was sad when
Visari died
and it's a shame as most people who haven't read the back-story of the KZ universe probably wouldn't understand why they should give a shit about the plight of the Helghans. Seriously, at certain points I felt uncomfortable when killing them off, wave after wave. Especially with the amazing/creepy mocap/ragdoll animation system and voicework.
Point is, there are NO winners in this war and I dug that alot. Sure it could have been handled better and not just action setpiece after action setpiece, but oh well ...maybe in KZ3

- Loved the ending

- I never became comfortable with the cover system and hardly used it ...thanks GG =/

- Gun/gameplay is absolutely fantastic! Loved how you'd walk into a layered environment thinking "Gee, this looks amazing!," then realizing it wasn't just there for fucking your eyeballs but for actually providing a dynamic environment to fight in, with plenty of options. Something that unfortunately Resistance2 dropped the ball on...

Anyhoo, bring on the Warzone!!!

Raist

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
I've heard some people mention this, but I haven't noticed that yet. Probably because I mostly meet people with shotguns in smaller areas.

I've been OS with full health (and not even a headshot) from ~30 meters away.

Ephemeris

Rapping Granny said:
and now that I think of it, the tactician spawn badge. I really want to see how a S&D match will go without that.

Anakin, you're breaking my heart :(

TheFatOne said:
What the fuck. That is some bullshit I was wasting all this time for nothing. Does anyone know when GG is going to do another patch?

No idea yet.

Zeliard

AgentOtaku said:
- I was sad when
Visari died
and it's a shame as most people who haven't read the back-story of the KZ universe probably wouldn't understand why they should give a shit about the plight of the Helghans. Seriously, at certain points I felt uncomfortable when killing them off, wave after wave. Especially with the amazing/creepy mocap/ragdoll animation system and voicework.
Point is, there are NO winners in this war and I dug that alot. Sure it could have been handled better and not just action setpiece after action setpiece, but oh well ...maybe in KZ3

They should have put more emphasis on that. If it's true that the ISA is pretty much just as bad as the Helghast, and that there are no real "good guys" in this story, then that would have been very compelling and should have been delved into more deeply.

That's the only standpoint in which I can understand where people griping about the story are coming from. The backstory and entire premise behind Killzone is actually quite interesting, and it would've been cool to see it fleshed out some more.

DoomGyver

What I don't get, is the STA-14 takes 3 shots to kill anyone when the M4 Revolver only takes 2.

And I've sniped snipers with the M4 many times.

STA-14 should be 2 hits on the arms/legs 1 hit upper body/neck/head.

dfyb

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
Next time I am making a game, I am disabling shotguns and maybe rockets too. Tired of this shit.
that'd be just as lame as the people who whine about AWP in counter-strike. neither of those are overpowered. is it even possible to ban shotguns? what would engineers do?

cameltoe

Jack Scofield said:

Yeah, I noticed this as well....they have a kdr to protect though so cut them some slack!!

dfyb said:
that'd be just as lame as the people who whine about AWP in counter-strike. neither of those are overpowered. is it even possible to ban shotguns? what would engineers do?

disable engineers. :OOOOOO

and yeah the last game we had at the desert, I saw 3 snipers on my team and thought only FFObssesed is needed for that, so I said fuck it and I joined them.

TheFatOne

Full Recovery said:
What I don't get, is the STA-14 takes 3 shots to kill anyone when the M4 Revolver only takes 2.

We have to let Guerilla know about all this stuff. This game could be much more amazing if they tweaked it a little more.

Ephemeris

dfyb said:
Fire a pistol. I've joined a game that banned the shotgun before, you see. :lol

dfyb

Banned
Full Recovery said:

is the STA-14 rifle in multiplayer? if so, i think one good shot in the chest should do like 80-90 HP.

Huggers

I love the line when you are on a losing Heghast team: "Envy the dead, for they escape the shame of this defeat"! :lol Savage

AgentOtaku said:

Some opinions:

- Rico is probably the biggest fucking douchebag I've seen in a game in a long time ...seroiusly, I hated him by the end of the game. Then again, maybe that was the desired affect.

- I really liked the last stretch and felt it was about time that a FPS ended with a great last level ...Radek included dispite the initial frustation ...though I guess GG maybe felt the same way too with that "...under 20 minutes" trophy :lol

- The music score, while sounding a bit generic in a few places (opening beach fight for example), was excellent and is indeed underrated. Some fantastic stuff in there

- I was sad when
Visari died

- Loved the ending

- I never became comfortable with the cover system and hardly used it ...thanks GG =/

- Gun/gameplay is absolutely fantastic! Loved how you'd walk into a layered environment thinking "Gee, this looks amazing!," then realizing it wasn't just there for fucking your eyeballs but for actually providing a dynamic environment to fight in, with plenty of options. Something that unfortunately Resistance2 dropped the ball on...

Damn that was fast man good job.
I think your right that GG wants us to despise Rico I can see him either becoming a villain in the next game since everyone he truly cared about is gone or dying in some spectacular fashion. But he is definitely being set up. And how fu@#$ing awesome is it when you see all the helghast cruisers taking off(heading for vekta or earth?) and Sev is just kind of resigned to the fact that they are all screwed and sits on the steps.
One of the best endings ever makes me soooo fricken amped for number Tres!

Ephemeris said:
Good recommendation. I did that pretty much, except I sniped
the rocket dudes
from the ground level. Pretty easy to dodge.

Oh yeah that would definitely work too.

Ploid 3.0

Is there a place you guys can point me to that show how all of the abilities and such are unlocked in MP? I mean things like second badges, and upgrades like the extra grenades.

I mostly want to know what is up with medic's secondary badge. What do I have to do to get it? I raise people like crazy and no badge yet.

TheFatOne

Since I'm going to need the boost ribbon I'm going to start a GAF game in about an hour. What are the options you guys want in a GAF game?

Ploid 3.0

TheFatOne said:
Since I'm going to need the boost ribbon I'm going to start a GAF game in about an hour. What are the options you guys want in a GAF game?

What is the boost ribbon for?

Zeliard said:

Thanks man. [/bow]

Hmm so I needed to revive 8x in one match? Thought I did more. Well now I have a direction. All out reviving!

Tiddles said:
tiddles,

I love the game, but have one suggestion: a dead zone tweak. This isn't for me, per se, but I think it would solve a lot of the control complaints I've been hearing, and without changing the feel of the game. I know that the dead zone isn't as big as some are making it out to be; crosshair movement actually registers with a slight push of the stick, but it's very very very slow movement. People are pushing the stick slightly to the right and see no obvious result, then push it a little bit further only to hit what they probably feel is the point that the controls catch, thus overshooting the target. Maybe cut that dead zone down a bit, call it "Expert Aiming" or something like that, allow it to be toggled.

I read in the update notes that GG is looking into this. Again, personally, I really like the controls, but there is definitely value in creating a "fix" that gives more experienced players better precision movement, without changing the gross movements that would carry the weight of the weapon as intended.

Wow, spot on! ...this is EXACTLY my one standing issue with the controls ...well that and the crouch toggle SP thing

Glad to hear that this is being looked into

TheFatOne

Ploid 3.0 said:
What is the boost ribbon for?

Thanks man. [/bow]

Hmm so I needed to revive 8x in one match? Thought I did more. Well now I have a direction. All out reviving!

Lets you combine boost with the other clases.

Zeliard

TheFatOne said:
Lets you combine boost with the other clases.

This is when the game is seriously gonna pick up, down the line when a lot of people have unlocked some of those combination badges and can start bringing a wider variety of abilities and skills to the fight.

KZObsessed

Give me a sniper rifle and I'll give you death!
angry.gif

TheFatOne

Zeliard said:
This is when the game is seriously gonna pick up, down the line when a lot of people have unlocked some of those combination badges and can start bringing a wider variety of abilities and skills to the fight.

Yup when I see people who can already do this they rock. Once most of GAF can do this the games will get very interesting. This game has been steadily evolving since it came out, and I can't wait to see how it plays out when people start swapping secondary abilities.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I'm not using the auto aim any more. That whole Saluvan market game I didn't use it once.

The shotgun still rapes though

Zeliard said:

That's what is so unbelievable to me about the MP is that day to day when I go into a match everyone has leveled up so much and are trying new tactics that the game evolves radically and I am forced to try new stuff to deal with it. Absolutely the most solid console mp I have ever played and that's without a party system. :D

Zeliard said:

Actually it lets the Assault use other secondary abilities. As soon as you get all the ribbons for a given class's secondary ability you unlock badge combinations for that primary class. Example - I unlock medic, then get all 8 blood bag ribbons to unlock badge combinations. As soon as I unlock Assault I can have a combat medic (medic with boost secondary). As soon as a secondary ability is unlocked you can use it with any class that has access to badge combos.

Wallach

dfyb said:
is the STA-14 rifle in multiplayer? if so, i think one good shot in the chest should do like 80-90 HP.

Yes, it is one of the default weapons of the Saboteur (along with the SMG).

Personally, the weapon changes I think would be neat right now:

- Remove the weird shotgun lock-on thing

- STA-14 damage needs to go up

- Both assault rifle spreads need to be widened slightly (STA-14 needs to be more accurate at range)

- Revive gun does slightly more damage when used offensively (3 shots instead of 4)

- Rockets deal slightly more splash damage to user when used at close/point range (this weapon should not be used for close quarters)

AgentOtaku said:

Some opinions:

- I was sad when
Visari died

- Loved the ending

I agree with most of what you said (aside from the cover, which I felt was vital on the hard difficulty). Rico really pissed me off. He acts before he thinks, which results in him doing whatever the fuck he wants to do. On a side note, I started a new campaign and in the first level (before you leave the dropship) I heard Evelyn telling Rico
that if they get to Visari that they had to take him alive so that they could have a chance at peace talks. And guess, what Rico pretty much said "Fuck that, I'll kill him first."
Also, some people have been saying that the SP has no "soul," but I have to disagree. Maybe it's because I know the backstory from KZ1 and KZ: L, but I was determined to finish the SP in a weekend so I could find out the story. It didn't disappoint.

Multiplayer is great too. I'm having a lot of fun, though it is taking me some time to adjust to all the maps and such. Still, I usually end up in the top 3 on my team. Last thing, I hate those fucking saboteurs.

hulot

Finally got the retail copy. Booted up multiplayer, top of the game but it then it freezes. Ambient sounds are still playing, had to hard-reset my PS3. Is this a known problem?

TheFatOne

BruceLeeRoy said:
That's what is so unbelievable to me about the MP is that day to day when I go into a match everyone has leveled up so much and are trying new tactics that the game evolves radically and I am forced to try new stuff to deal with it. Absolutely the most solid console mp I have ever played and that's without a party system. :D

If GG adds the ability to search for a game, party system, and a better way to show available games I won't be putting this game down for a long time. The game is rock solid all they have to do is tweak it and add some things. Forgot to mention this I wonder what GG is going to do with DLC. I bet its going to be epic.

Hmm what size should I make the game i was thinking 26-28, but I'm not sure.

hulot said:
Finally got the retail copy. Booted up multiplayer, top of the game but it then it freezes. Ambient sounds are still playing, had to hard-reset my PS3. Is this a known problem?

I believe so GG said there is a patch in the works to fix a couple of things.

Top Bottom