• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Clinton514

Iain Howe said:
I loved writing the Helghast dialog. My favourite stuff, of course, was Visari's. There's nothing on the cards about me doing any further work with Guerrilla as a freelancer, but something might come up in the future if they decide they have a specific need I'd be a good fit for. Who knows?
It would be cool to have you back on it.

Did you have any say in
Billinghurst's
return to KZ2? :lol

junkster said:
Impressions after 4 hours on the campaign:

This has to be the worst (hyped) FPS campaign I've ever played.

Uneven difficulty (super hard, super easy, and back again)
Not enough ammo, can only carry ONE weapon (pistol is pathetic)
Wasting time and health saving useless teammates (yea just stand out in the open so I'm forced to come back and save you the second I make some headway you useless sack...)
A few hits and you're dead
Every hit makes screen blinding splatter or black and white fog
No co-op
"Weird" controls and hit detection

All combined make this one of the most methodical, slow, boring, annoying, terrible, FPS games ever made.

I've made my way to
helicopterish minigunning, rocketlaunchering boss on Salamun Bridge - Academy Rooftop
and there's maybe been 30 minutes of fun so far.

Now I know games get hyped like crazy, so I ignored the hype and kept my expectations low but I have to say... to anyone on the fence about this game, unless you LOVE multiplayer (which I hear has many annoyances as well), DO NOT waste your $65.

kazlol.gif

Everdred

StarEye said:
One thing I've yet to see in an FPS (though that may be because I've not played many), is the possibility to interrupt the reloading mechanism with weapons you insert one bullet at a time. Like the shotgun. It's just so incredibly annoying to have ammo run out, and then you'll have to sit through the whole damn animation where he inserts every single bullet into the gun. This is particularly annoying if you only need one more shot to kill the enemy and get to safety to reload completely. You'd think it'd be a good idea to just let the guy shoot as soon as there's a bullet in the shotgun. It'd also look pretty cool.
Half Life 2, Halo 3, Fear 2, Left 4 Dead.... The list goes on and on.

EazyB

Banned
When if it safe to quit out of a match. I went 67-20, the game was a draw, stayed in the lobby, watched myself rank up, looked at the game's stats, then when the "syncing..." screen popped up and underneath it it asked if I wanted to quit I went ahead and pressed B to back out. But then when I went to check my rank from the main screen it says I was still a rank below.

Did I quit too early and lose that game's stats or does the ranking them just take some time to update?

Everdred

gantz85 said:
Honestly, I thought Halo 3 had one of the worst FPS campaigns ever. Killzone 2 beats the shit out of that rack of shit in SP. I think you can have your own opinion though.

To each their own, there's no denying that this game has gotten universal acclaim from even the most reluctant and critical sources like Giantbomb (http://www.giantbomb.com/killzone-2-video-review/17-286/). There also aren't that many better multiplayer FPS games on console, in fact, none, according to the opinions of many of our posters.
:lol Thats pretty absurd and I'm glad I haven't read any posts with that idea.
Rainbow Six Vegas, the latest Ghost Recon, Call of Duty 4 & World at War are much better on consoles. Add on Resistance, Killzone, Warhawk, Halo and so many more. You would have to be a fool to claim such a thing. Every platform has strong titles in various genres.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
junkster said:

Wasting time and health saving useless teammates (yea just stand out in the open so I'm forced to come back and save you the second I make some headway you useless sack...)
No co-op

All combined make this one of the most methodical, slow, boring, annoying, terrible, FPS games ever made.

I've made my way to
helicopterish minigunning, rocketlaunchering boss on Salamun Bridge - Academy Rooftop

Now I know games get hyped like crazy, so I ignored the hype and kept my expectations low but I have to say... to anyone on the fence about this game, unless you LOVE multiplayer (which I hear has many annoyances as well), DO NOT waste your $65.

This game has single player?

Cagen

EazyB said:
When if it safe to quit out of a match. I went 67-20, the game was a draw, stayed in the lobby, watched myself rank up, looked at the game's stats, then when the "syncing..." screen popped up and underneath it it asked if I wanted to quit I went ahead and pressed B to back out. But then when I went to check my rank from the main screen it says I was still a rank below.

Did I quit too early and lose that game's stats or does the ranking them just take some time to update?

It takes a little while to update, as long as you see the stats increase at the end of the match you are ok.

elohel

EazyB said:

edit: what he said lol ^

MCermak

What does a man do when no one invites him into a clan?

He makes his own. Introducting Faces Of Shat [SHAT] by ShatOnYourFace

Gaf West. Prepare for destruction. Because you have been challenged.

Enojado

I know the website is having issues, so is it safe to say others aren't having their sp campaign statistics uploaded to killzone.com?

EazyB

Banned
Cagen said:
It takes a little while to update, as long as you see the stats increase at the end of the match you are ok.
Ok, thank God.

My quick impressions:
I played the first... 3 missions maybe and I'm really bored with the SP. I'm pretty jaded as far as shooters go it could be just that. May just avoid it until I get a healthy amount of MP in.

I only got to play about 5 MP matches and at first I didn't like it at all. Then I started getting used to the controls a bit more and how many shots it takes to kill someone. By the end I was really enjoying myself and especially so after my 67-20 match where I was just racking up the headshots. Way too early for me to say how my staying power this game will have for me but so far so good.

Cagen

Enojado said:
I know the website is having issues, so is it safe to say others aren't having their sp campaign statistics uploaded to killzone.com? Also, where the fuck do I go on the webiste to view the intel I found? I'm interested in seeing what's in there.

The stats aren't working on the site right now and they are working on it, which is why the site has been down a lot recently. The intel is in the "My Killzone" section near the bottom under "Campaign Completion" but obviously nothing is updating currently.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
fistfulofmetal said:
boss battle at the end of the academy :\

how could anyone at GG think this would be fun?
It's so easy...there is a tunnel beneath you that makes you practically invincible.

Zeliard

strange_booj said:
:lol Thats pretty absurd and I'm glad I haven't read any posts with that idea.
Rainbow Six Vegas, the latest Ghost Recon, Call of Duty 4 & World at War are much better on consoles. Add on Resistance, Killzone, Warhawk, Halo and so many more. You would have to be a fool to claim such a thing. Every platform has strong titles in various genres.

Vegas and Ghost Recon on consoles are poor, dumbed down imitations of the real Rainbow Six (prior to Vegas) and Ghost Recon games on PC. It's sad what happened to both series. I haven't tried CoD4 and WaW on consoles (I play them on PC), but I'm sure they play fine.

When it comes to the console exclusives, Killzone 2's multiplayer outplays Resistance and Halo 3's MP as far as I'm concerned. It's deeper due to the class-based/combination badge system, and I also feel that the gunplay in general is much stronger, which affects every facet of the game. It's also probably the only console shooter I've played that feels like it was actually made for a dual analog configuration and wouldn't monstrously benefit from a keyboard and mouse.

Zen

Banned
It's there, mostly for asisting tracking along the Y axis at relatively close range, adn the shotgun does have a semi auto lock when you hold down Iron Sights.

Zen

Banned
The Iron Sights button. R3 on default, it will guid to the target if held. I'm not sure if you can go around just holding the button, or if it will only do it for a window during a per click basis, as I haven't tried.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
MCermak said:

You have the most repulsive avatar I've ever seen. Congratulations.

test_account

XP-39C²
Zen said:
The Iron Sights button. R3 on default, it will guid to the target if held. I'm not sure if you can go around just holding the button, or if it will only do it for a window during a per click basis, as I haven't tried.
Ah ok, so you just hold down the Iron Sights button and the shotgun will automaticly aim at the nearest enemy?

I find it weird that the general gunplay in the SP kicked my ass hard but the boss battles were cake, but the majority seems to have the opposite reaction.

The ATAC battle was SOOOOOO easy.
Overall I liked all the bosses better than Resistance 2.

Varna

This is what I've always wanted a shooter to play like. AI deploys all sort of tactics to get you to expose yourself and it never just runs and guns after you. I've had it trick me on more then one occasion. I was chasing down a retreating enemy and right when I hit the corner it takes me down with either a meele hit for a burst fire. Really sneaky shit.

Cover system is easily the best around. No unrealistic angles and blind fire is actually blind fire. Suppressing enemy movement with it is a must. I've also never seen firing from the hip and ironsight be so balanced. Usually it's one or the other in most games, but it's just so situational in KZ2, I really love it.

Story is a little obnoxious... and I really hate the sluggish aiming and health regen. But this is easily the best console shooter I've played.

Everdred

Zeliard said:
Vegas and Ghost Recon on consoles are poor, dumbed down imitations of the real Rainbow Six (prior to Vegas) and Ghost Recon games on PC. It's sad what happened to both series. I haven't tried CoD4 and WaW on consoles (I play them on PC), but I'm sure they play fine.
Oh don't worry, I completely agree with the fact that consoles have completely ruined the Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six series. However, as they are now, the console version are better.

I do disagree with the fact that Killzone has good console controls. I would definitely prefer a mouse with this game over any other console game you have talked about.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TheFatOne said:
Next time I make a GAF game I'm taking all the small maps off what a cluster fuck those maps are.

Bravo.

MCermak said:

Good. There is still room in the "GAF Time to Die" tournament. ;)

bigswords

An interesting thing about the DS3 PS3 controller.

A friend of mine was complaining about the controls on the PS3 / Killzone 2 in almost all FPS games. When he finally switched to his DS2 yesterday he said it felt better. I took his DS3 (the one that he was playing exclusively) and yes it felt different from my DS3.

His DS3 is still rather new (silver colour), mine is already at least a year old, the sticks on mine felt better. I now understand why he was so pissed with playing FPS games on the PS3.
Damn I guess people who are having the deadzone issues might have a real DS3 controller issue.

Zen

Banned
I've found that the game is easier to control with my worn out SixAxis controller, TBH. Granted I have the sensitivity turned down, but it seems to be 'just right' with those looser sticks versus my DS3.

bigswords said:
An interesting thing about the DS3 PS3 controller.

A friend of mine was complaining about the controls on the PS3 / Killzone 2 in almost all FPS games. When he finally switched to his DS2 yesterday he said it felt better. I took his DS3 (the one that he was playing exclusively) and yes it felt different from my DS3.

His DS3 is still rather new (silver colour), mine is already at least a year old, the sticks on mine felt better. I now understand why he was so pissed with playing FPS games on the PS3.
Damn I guess people who are having the deadzone issues might have a real DS3 controller issue.

Interesting. After the DS3 I find the Sixaxis unusable for FPS games. The DS3 feels so much better. But I have never heard of differences between DS3s though.

EDIT: Watching intro CG again. LOVE the music so much, and Visari's speeches are sooo goood.

GG, I liked the story in KZ2 but next time make the whole game feel like the intro CG and ending sequences, they are really well done.

Zeliard

strange_booj said:
Oh don't worry, I completely agree with the fact that consoles have completely ruined the Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six series. However, as they are now, the console version are better.

I do disagree with the fact that Killzone has good console controls. I would definitely prefer a mouse with this game over any other console game you have talked about.

I'd definitely prefer a mouse, for any shooter, but I'm just saying that Killzone 2 doesn't make me yearn for one as much as other console shooters do. The dual analog design fits nicely when it comes to the game's emphasis on weight and momentum.

I know that probably sounds weird to the people who hate the controls, but oh well. :p

Everdred

I just want to post for the record since I have been saying some negative things. Graphics are undeniably beautiful, the cover system is the best in FPS games and I like the heavy feel of everything. The game is definitely a good game but not as freak-the-fuck-out awesome as some make it out to be.

Zen

Banned
test_account said:
Ah ok, so you just hold down the Iron Sights button and the shotgun will automaticly aim at the nearest enemy?

Correct. It's a little finnicky, from what I've played, but I confirmed it for myself after reading about it on gaf.

Gaf should really start compiling a list of suggestions for the Multiplayer component. Tempy posts here, so I'm sure it might get some attention. I like the Multiplayer component, but I think there are a lot of 'little-medium things' that GG could do, and Gaf would be in a decent position to offer actual suggestions on game balancing and the like, not "HURRRR FIX THE AIMING LAG GG!".

Cruzader

Banned
junkster said:

No co-op

I've made my way to

So it wasnt a COD game, thats what you're saying? Damn thats shocking cuz no one states how different it is....

gcubed

ok i'm about to throw my controller through my TV, i'm at the part where
you need to secure the enemy AA gun
and i cant fucking do it, i must had died an insane amount of times and there has to be a trick as to where to go. Any help would be appreciated

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Holy crap at the difficulty spike from Trooper to Veteran. I think I died more on Corinth River on Veteran than I did in the entirety of my Trooper playthrough. :lol

gcubed said:
ok i'm about to throw my controller through my TV, i'm at the part where
you need to secure the enemy AA gun
and i cant fucking do it, i must had died an insane amount of times and there has to be a trick as to where to go. Any help would be appreciated

After the bridge part? I think I used a grenade launcher.

RoboPlato said:
Holy crap at the difficulty spike from Trooper to Veteran. I think I died more on Corinth River on Veteran than I did in the entirety of my Trooper playthrough. :lol

I died more on Veteran than the highest modes on other games. Planning on trying Elite soon, what fun. :lol

Varna

Is the locked difficulty option anything more substantial then enemies dealing more damage? Less ammo and no health regen perhaps? :D

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Zen said:
Correct. It's a little finnicky, from what I've played, but I confirmed it for myself after reading about it on gaf.

Gaf should really start compiling a list of suggestions for the Multiplayer component. Tempy posts here, so I'm sure it might get some attention. I like the Multiplayer component, but I think there are a lot of 'little-medium things' that GG could do, and Gaf would be in a decent position to offer actual suggestions on game balancing and the like, not "HURRRR FIX THE AIMING LAG GG!".

Freezes, allowing some form of balancing teams mid game, and not being a huge hassle to play with a group of friends are priority #1.

Top Bottom