• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

gregor7777 said:
Certainly you're not serious. Think about what you just wrote.

:lol Thinking...

Just that part or my whole comment? Broken to me means the controls are not doing what they are intended to, change randomly, or make a certain necessary task impossible.

If not they are just different.

robut said:
Well in the last few hours since my last post I went from nearly going to trade the game in to sticking with multi for a while and came to terms with the controls (for the most part). While I do feel they're not optimal, and certainly not the dead-on precision I get with my favorite 360 shooters I've gone from being a scrub to being in the top 3 of my team for the majority of the day. Multiplayer in this game is great!

I feel pretty much the same way. The MP so far has a quality I can't yet put into something concrete that makes we want to keep playing it. It's really a lot of fun.

MvmntInGrn said:
:lol Thinking...

Just that part or my whole comment? Broken to me means the controls are not doing what they are intended to, change randomly, or make a certain necessary task impossible.

If not they are just different.

Controls can be broken in much more subtle ways than you initially described. An overly large deadzone, for example. Or poorly implemented pressure sensitivity. Or input lag. And so on.

Not saying the game suffers from these, as I haven't spent enough time with it (damn life).

bigswords

Puck said:
It's better that you work your way up in terms of difficulty of unlockable classes. I can't imagine someone who hasn't played online before trying to play the scout and having any fun.

People in TF2 could do it why not?

There's nothing different about the scout from most snipers, except that he can cloak.

1) Shoot with long range items Check
2) Ability to spot and mark targets check

I unlocked all the classes, I can see where GG is doing it this way (limit choices , so that players can just jump in).

Problem is I know players who are team players and do their skills well, but are not good shooters and the grind can be abit much for just them, example repair ability (kill X 5 with turrets ) x 8 matches, or magnum (kill 10 people IAR with Pistol) x 8.

Again to me GG did the next best thing and allowed players to fight against bots and the bots does all the gametype scenarios well and accuracly (except stat padders :( )

What the fuck is up with the servers freezing? I haven't had it happen until tonight and it happened enough to make me just turn the ps3 off and leave it off.

This is the first game I've really spent time with on PSN, and the Killzone 2 crowd is WAY more annoying that anyone I had to deal with on Gears or COD of 360. Every game I join seems to be full of loud ass yelling people who don't know how to properly set up their headsets, have their tv's too loud, and they all join the same team so it end up being like 22 on 8, and then they all use rocket launchers...Makes me wanna punch a baby.

The only all around enjoyable games I've got to play have been the GAF games I've played in with Aladuf, ThirdEngine, and FUll Recovery.

gregor7777 said:
Controls can be broken in much more subtle ways than you initially described. An overly large deadzone, for example. Or poorly implemented pressure sensitivity. Or input lag. And so on.

Not saying the game suffers from these, as I haven't spent enough time with it (damn life).

If you can get from point A to point B and the controls are consistent then, for me at least, they cannot be called broken.

What you mention falls into the design category unless they change on the fly.

dfyb

Banned
beast786 said:
i had the same thing happened. It will update. so when you get the next one it will read 3/8
hoping it eventually catches up. just finished another game and it was 2/8 =/

in a pistol only server -- getting my pistol ribbons, melee ribbons, and health pack ribbons all taken care of in one round of body count (also scoring like 70+ pts in the process if i do alright -- boosted to 110 last round because we won) :p

beast786

gregor7777 said:
That's fine, I'm not complaining about the feel of the game. I just want the buttons mapped in a different way. :)

But I do understand that people don't like the controls. I just don't understand the need to be so condescending to them.

And trust me, I don't want a twitch shooter. I like a game that feels like the player has some weight. So far, I'd say they certainly feel...odd. Not heavy so much, just that you don't fully have control of the charter in a natural way. Hard to describe.

Certainly you're not serious. Think about what you just wrote.

There is nothing wrong with discussing or stating your wishes. thats why we have these discussion boards/thread.
I can almost gurantee you when most of the KZ2 players will go back to COD, they will also have same type of discussion about controls being too floaty.
Infact I think its GREAT that we have best of both of the worlds. With COD,R2 and KZ2 my FPS addiction is very well served. Also looking forward to ODTS.

Fantasmo

MP is pretty darn fun, I can see it holding my interest for awhile. Much better than the campaign which I still think is a big stinky fart.

That said, if I was trained to wear heavy amounts of weight and engage in combat, I think I'd be able to aim and not overshoot or undershoot things.

The mindboggling thing is that Guerilla can change that with a simple configuration edit, but decided that it was better the way it was.

I've never had such mixed feelings about a freaking game... I keep wondering "why why why"

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
Looking at it from a parent/responsible adult point of view, your point makes no sense...

...You're going to want the system that will give you the best bang for your buck...you want the system that will play games the kids will like....you want the system that will have some games the adults (parents) will like...but you also want a system that can work with your Home Theater in your living room (blu-ray/Full HD Sound, divx support, that's the PS3. Run out of room on the PS3?..that's ok, just upgrade the Hard Drive if you need to.

The PS3 has a 10 year life cycle and we're only 3 years in...how old is your child now?...how old will he/she be in 6-7 years?...the PS3 is the easy choice because it has so much to offer for everyone. The Xbox 360 came out too early and is already reaching the pinnacle of it's possibilities.

The PS3 just revamped and expanded their online service with movie downloads & rentals. It also offers a free 3D online chat service called Home. You can't get the full quality oniine service from Xbox without paying.

In the end, look at it this way. Just like switching all of your standard light bulbs to CFL's was a large initial cost, you know that down the road you will reap the benefits by saving on your bill. The same concept applies to gaming consoles and specifically the PS3

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
What the fuck is up with the servers freezing? I haven't had it happen until tonight and it happened enough to make me just turn the ps3 off and leave it off.

It's the damn Saboteur. There is a bug associated with it that causes those lock up. Guerrilla is already working on a fix. I guess the frequency of these freezes just got higher as more people have unlocked and are using it. I'd suggest to lock that class out when creating games until the patch is released.

sorry ilparazzo

bigswords

Crash when using Saboteur disguise in certain situations. Will be fixed in the next patch.
I'm going to disable the Saboteur badge when I create online games and see whether that fixes the freezing (only happens once to me).

Edit: Beaten by TTP :(

dfyb

Banned
some KZ2 fans definitely have a closed mind when it comes to controls. i've not heard a single valid argument for why the deadzone is a good thing. i think the control would still feel weighty without such a large deadzone. i fear some of you don't even know what deadzone is and immediately dismiss it.

my previous post on the subject:

i think the biggest problem for me is the excessively large dead zone. dead zones are supposed to account for the joystick not always centering exactly at center -- to prevent drifting when the joystick is idle. for whatever reason, KZ2 has a very large deadzone -- to get even the most subtle movements, you have to move the joystick a considerable amount.

this effectively reduces the analog range of the joystick -- instead of having the entire range, you only have the upper half or so.

what possible advantage does that bring? what is the advantage of requiring players to do significant joystick movement when they want to make subtle aiming adjustments? what is the advantage of subtle joystick movements not being functional?

AnnSwag said:
Looking at it from a parent/responsible adult point of view, your point makes no sense...

...You're going to want the system that will give you the best bang for your buck...you want the system that will play games the kids will like....you want the system that will have some games the adults (parents) will like...but you also want a system that can work with your Home Theater in your living room (blu-ray/Full HD Sound, divx support, that's the PS3. Run out of room on the PS3?..that's ok, just upgrade the Hard Drive if you need to.

The PS3 has a 10 year life cycle and we're only 3 years in...how old is your child now?...how old will he/she be in 6-7 years?...the PS3 is the easy choice because it has so much to offer for everyone. The Xbox 360 came out too early and is already reaching the pinnacle of it's possibilities.

The PS3 just revamped and expanded their online service with movie downloads & rentals. It also offers a free 3D online chat service called Home. You can't get the full quality oniine service from Xbox without paying.

In the end, look at it this way. Just like switching all of your standard light bulbs to CFL's was a large initial cost, you know that down the road you will reap the benefits by saving on your bill. The same concept applies to gaming consoles and specifically the PS3

Killzone 2 Sabatages Halo Wars | http://tinyurl.com/bksv26

mispost?

elohel

junkster said:
Impressions after 4 hours on the campaign:

This has to be the worst (hyped) FPS campaign I've ever played.

Uneven difficulty (super hard, super easy, and back again)
Not enough ammo, can only carry ONE weapon (pistol is pathetic)
Wasting time and health saving useless teammates (yea just stand out in the open so I'm forced to come back and save you the second I make some headway you useless sack...)
A few hits and you're dead
Every hit makes screen blinding splatter or black and white fog
No co-op
"Weird" controls and hit detection

All combined make this one of the most methodical, slow, boring, annoying, terrible, FPS games ever made.

I've made my way to
helicopterish minigunning, rocketlaunchering boss on Salamun Bridge - Academy Rooftop
and there's maybe been 30 minutes of fun so far.

Now I know games get hyped like crazy, so I ignored the hype and kept my expectations low but I have to say... to anyone on the fence about this game, unless you LOVE multiplayer (which I hear has many annoyances as well), DO NOT waste your $65.

we have a winner

that's a bummer you didn't enjoy the pacing, i thought it was a nice change

minimalist game design really appeals to me and they nailed that mostly because of the ai imo

i think thats the most underrated thing about the game, even though people note it, graphics seem to nudge it out in publicity or w/e

i felt like the ai and weapons were what made the game, then graphics

sry u didnt enjoy

QQ

imo imo

This is the first game I've really spent time with on PSN, and the Killzone 2 crowd is WAY more annoying that anyone I had to deal with on Gears or COD of 360. Every game I join seems to be full of loud ass yelling people who don't know how to properly set up their headsets, have their tv's too loud, and they all join the same team so it end up being like 22 on 8, and then they all use rocket launchers...Makes me wanna punch a baby.

The only all around enjoyable games I've got to play have been the GAF games I've played in with Aladuf, ThirdEngine, and FUll Recovery.

I have had nothing but fun playing this game. Most teamwork ive seen in a multiplayer game on ps3. Totally beats warhawk thats for sure. Only annoying thing ive experienced was shotgun kills. im so tired of gettin killed by shotguns. Tonight the Gaf servers were filled, so i went to a random one. Still had a good game, but what was cool was I had a pretty damn high score. I think playing with gaffers im usually not that high up on the scoring but playing with others Im doing pretty good. Just shows how good all of neogaf is. I gotta keep practicing with you guys.

DeliciousBLT

Neo Member
I've been playing the game for the past couple of days and I'm really digging it, but the only problem that is quickly making want to never play it again is the PS3 controller. The game is so fun and the multiplayer is fantastic. But I'm fighting two battles. One with the opposing team and the other with the controller. I don't think it's the controls, I can get used to those. The triggers and the analog sticks just don't feel right, and for some reason I cannot get used to it..

I always autojoin a team when I play but for some reason I have played 31 games as Helghast but only 17 as the ISA. That is a pretty significant difference.

vpance

elohel said:
we have a winner

that's a bummer you didn't enjoy the pacing, i thought it was a nice change

minimalist game design really appeals to me and they nailed that mostly because of the ai imo

I agree, the AI is what makes the campaign good. The level design isn't anything overly amazing, although I thought the refinery level showed really nice scale. Speaking of scale I was hoping you'd come across this at some point:

24qvogo.jpg

Raist

Banned
beast786 said:
If you are used to driving in the States on the right side of the road and then all of a sudden you have to switch when you go over the ocean. Doesnt mean the driving rules in europe are messed up. Its just takes time.

Hey, don't put all Europe in the same bag than those crazy british dudes who drive on the wrong side of the road :p

The "dead zone" issue is mislabeled, I think. My DS3 may be different than the rest, but even a tiny bit of pressure on it results in movement, albeit at a rate that is hard to see. It takes a good deal more pressure to get movement that is noticeable. The real issue is a pressure-to-movement curve that is very, very, very gradual for the first 1/4 or so of the analog stick's range, then very steep, corresponding to your sensitivity settings.

I don't know the reason it was done like this, although, as a PC FPS player, it certainly helped me adjust the way I use analog sticks. Now that I'm used to it, I don't think I'd change the way that part of the control scheme works, but I can appreciate somebody else who's a bit more dexterous wanting a more responsive "dead area." Also, this is an issue affecting tiny, precision movements, not the bigger motions that have a weighted feel to them that should under no circumstance be changed. As such, a toggle to allow for greater precision at lower pressure wouldn't negatively impact the gameplay, and it would probably give GG a lot of community cred off the bat.

dfyb

Banned
MvmntInGrn said:
is it really better to spawn on the squad leader in hectic matches?

I end up spawning and dieing in grenade fire instantly...
depends. if it's bodycount, you're probably a detriment to your team. with other objectives, it's probably not hurting anything unless you're literally dying instantly over and over.

RavenFox

Banned
robut said:
Well in the last few hours since my last post I went from nearly going to trade the game in to sticking with multi for a while and came to terms with the controls (for the most part). While I do feel they're not optimal, and certainly not the dead-on precision I get with my favorite 360 shooters I've gone from being a scrub to being in the top 3 of my team for the majority of the day. Multiplayer in this game is great!
Glad you held on sir. Only a man with true grit would see it through. See you in my line of fire uhmm I mean on the battlefield.

MvmntInGrn said:
is it really better to spawn on the squad leader in hectic matches?

I end up spawning and dieing in grenade fire instantly...

I say it depends on the game mode. If it's body count you're probably better off spawning else where if it's too hectic, but if its an objective based game, chances are you will be able to help your team more if you spawn as close as you can to the objective.

Edit: beat... oh well

jett

D-Member
Hmm...the single-player campaign is actually kind of so-so so far...and I fear it's gonna be really, really short.

dfyb

Banned
i think i'm bugged or something... i got the medal that lets me use health packs as any class.... but i still can't use healthpacks as any class. but here's the weird part -- i don't even have the assault class unlocked, but i can give my medic class (and only as medic) the boost badge...

dfyb said:
i think i'm bugged or something... i got the medal that lets me use health packs as any class.... but i still can't use healthpacks as any class. but here's the weird part -- i don't even have the assault class unlocked, but i can give my medic class (and only as medic) the boost badge...

I read someone earlier say the exact same thing.

careksims

What crazy fights. Sure I lose a lot but it's still fun. Finally got to medic. Now I can heal buddies! I think my fave is the desert map since its so big. We need more big maps. When I lose in a firefight, I know it's me. I can't aim too well in close fights :lol

I tried Alt 2 and I couldn't do it. Just went back to default.

Raist

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Ranked 76 in the world right now ;)

Did this tonight

zxwvwz.jpg

That was a fucking joke :lol

For some reason, most of the time when I walk across a teammate, I think "This dude is FR disguised". And it never fails. Now I guess I should shoot on sight everytime I see a team mate :lol

jett said:
Hmm...the single-player campaign is actually kind of so-so so far...and I fear it's gonna be really, really short.

This is how I feel right now, it's alright but nothing amazing so far, 24% done.

I am playing on Veteran as my first playthrough and want to say that Garza can go fuck himself real hard. WTF is up with your teammates not doing anything, not shooting anything and only asking to be revived like little bitches.

Raist

Banned
Tom Penny said:
I like how GG allows cheaters. There is a guy that is 600 kills and 4 deaths today.

Well, give them a bit of time to track down those fuckers and erase their stats. The leading clan has 110k valor points. Ridiculous :lol

Raist

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
This is how I feel right now, it's alright but nothing amazing so far, 24% done.

I am playing on Veteran as my first playthrough and want to say that Garza can go fuck himself real hard. WTF is up with your teammates not doing anything, not shooting anything and only asking to be revived like little bitches.

You thought Garza was bad? Just wait to see Rico in action. I wanted to punch him so hard at a certain point.

Top Bottom